Ellerman Wilson Line family

rubyrose
20th April 2010, 18:46
Apologies for going off at a tangent but I am curious about the EWL family. I mentioned earlier that my Grandfather had been a skipper and served in both WW1 & WW2. Grandad was one of seven children buthis father (my Great Grandad) who was a builder upped and ran off to America taking with him five of his seven children plus a lady friend who was (or so we were told) a well-known singer related to the Ellerman Wilson Line family! My Grandfather, who became a Hull skipper, was one of the two children who were left behind in this country, presumably because they were the youngest. I can only imagine how devastated my Great Grandmother must have felt at having five of her precious children abducted in this way. This is a real shot in the dark but can anybody tell me the identity of this singer and mystery woman?

Ian G walker
18th July 2010, 16:54
Apologies for going off at a tangent but I am curious about the EWL family. I mentioned earlier that my Grandfather had been a skipper and served in both WW1 & WW2. Grandad was one of seven children buthis father (my Great Grandad) who was a builder upped and ran off to America taking with him five of his seven children plus a lady friend who was (or so we were told) a well-known singer related to the Ellerman Wilson Line family! My Grandfather, who became a Hull skipper, was one of the two children who were left behind in this country, presumably because they were the youngest. I can only imagine how devastated my Great Grandmother must have felt at having five of her precious children abducted in this way. This is a real shot in the dark but can anybody tell me the identity of this singer and mystery woman?

There is a book called Wilsons of Tranby Croft which is the familys history

The 2nd. Mate
27th August 2010, 20:01
Hi Rubyrose

There were 2 families involved, both from Hull.

First was Charles Wilson who was, I believe, an international wine merchant.

Then there was John Ellerman, also from Hull who was in shipping. Eventually they merged. More than that I do not know but I will soon. I am awaiting my copy of "The Wilsons of Tranby Croft".

I hope to find out why Ellerman singled out Wilsons. All his other companies were "Ellerman & ???????" whereas it was "Ellerman's Wilson Line" making it personal.

Cheers

Ian