Stevens on Stowage

Chris Isaac
25th April 2010, 14:27
I have in my possession, a gift from my grandfather in the 1960s, a copy of this "bible" on the stowage of cargo on sailing and early iron ships.
Although this was first published in 1878 the copy I possess was presented to my great grandfather on February 1st 1877 and bears the following inscription.
"Presented to Edmund Cole as a memento of the office where he served his term of Apprenticeship" it is signed by the author Robert Stevens.

On July 24 the Times newspaper published an article recalling the original publication from June 8 1863.

In response to this article my grandfather wrote to the editor of The Times (something he was frequently disposed to do). The letter read:

17 The Ridge
Purley
Surrey

25th June 1963

The Editor
The Times
Printing House Square
London EC 4

Sir,
"Stevens on Stowage"
In my possession is a copy of the Seventh Edition of this work of literary art.
The title page bears the date 1878 but in the following page entitled "preface" has a superscription in manuscript:-
"Presented to Edmund Cole as a memento of the office where he served his term of Apprenticeship" it is signed by the author Robert Stevens.
The pages immediately following the preface contain acknowledgements to various works including "The Times" and reprint testimonials, including the following:-
"From the Sub-Editor of a Daily Newspaper" (returning the book after review)
"You would properly regard as impertinent and attempt of mine to appraise its value; in truth I can only marvel, with an almost ignorant admiration, at the knowledge, industry and care which have been employed to produce a work whose worth I can recognize, though I cannot render it justice of an adequate critisism."
Edmund Cole was my father.

Your most obedient servant

Percy W Cole.

Having paged through much of the 815 pages I can only feel the utmost sympathy for poor deck apprentices having to study the excruciating detail contained in this volume and then recall it for their tickets.

stein
25th April 2010, 15:00
Interesting work. My copy is from 1867, fourth edition the title page says, but has only 632 pages before an unpaginated list of "Foreign Monies, Weights & Measures." (120 Norwegian Skillings is valued at 4s 6-1/2p, for those who'd like to know(Jester).)