Paying off Pennant ?

bob johnston
1st November 2005, 08:01
Just wondering if the pennant which is attached to a ship that has finished its life as a cruise ship is only a P&O tradition. I am right in saying that the pennant is a foot for every year of service or I am way off with that statement. Would appreciate some feedback on this , I have posted a picture in the gallery of Oronsay leaving Southampton I had just got off her.

Bob ( Sydney )

Sebe
1st November 2005, 08:56
You are right that paying off pennants are usually a foot for each year and it was a 'norm' for all vessels in the past, but not so sure that all vessels carry out this tradition today.

Sebe

Doug Rogers
1st November 2005, 09:07
Bob it was a long standing Naval tradition in our time at sea (originally RN in origin) and I think that all passenger ships of that time would most certainly have flown them, and probably a fair number of other vessels. Today, well probably not although I would love to stand corrected if someone can advise me differently. I know the RN still carry on the tradition today..but other MN vessels??.

Bruce Carson
1st November 2005, 13:39
Hi Bob:
Even submarines flew a Paying Off Penant.
Here's a great picture of HM Submarine 'Opossum' in 1993.
http://www.hmsopossum.org/Gallery/ships/HMOpossum_sub_4_PayingOff.JPG

Bruce C.

John Rogers
1st November 2005, 13:50
I remember seeing a news story years ago about a RN ship flying her pennant going into home port, it trailed behind the ship as she had been away for a long time. Supposed to have been a record.
Come on you ex-navy guys give us the story.
John.

John Rogers
1st November 2005, 14:02
I just done a search on RN Pennants and this is what I found.
Paying Off Pennant - It is customary for a ship entering harbour for the last time to fly this pennant in place of her masthead pennant. Its length depends on the length of the commission but is generally the same as the ship herself
Note: Length of Commission.
John

Paul UK
1st November 2005, 14:51
Hi John

Do the USN do this as well.

Paul

fred henderson
1st November 2005, 16:36
Most Orient and P&O Captains of that era belonged to the Royal Naval Reserve, so I suggest that they brought the RN tradition with them.

Fred

Ron Stringer
1st November 2005, 17:45
Bruce C - There must have been something wrong with the pennant in that photo, since the 'Opossum' was alongside a fitting-out berth in Cammell-Laird's yard at Birkenhead when I joined the 'San Florentino' there in May 1963. That means that at the time of the photo she would have been around 40 years in commission, and the pennant doesn't seem 40-feet long.

Regards

Ron Stringer

Bruce Carson
1st November 2005, 18:13
Hi Ron:
She did reach a pretty good age.
Laid down in 1961, she was launched in 1963 and commissioned the following year.
Here's the page on which I found the picture:
http://www.hmsopossum.org/Gallery/Submarines.htm
'Opossum' was 295.5' in length and that should give us a very rough idea of the length of the penant.

Best,
Bruce C.

David Wilcockson
1st November 2005, 20:29
Seem to remember Cunards old `Queens` streaming paying off penants @ the end of transatlantic service, prior to heading Stateside.
David

Pompeyfan
1st November 2005, 20:50
Didn't know that 'Old Queens' had paying off penants!

John Rogers
1st November 2005, 22:15
I cant answer that question Paul as I'm a old army man,but we have two U.S Navy men that are members, Allan Hill for one,come on Allan we want to know.
John.

Bruce Carson
1st November 2005, 23:51
Below is an URL to a Royal Navy pennant site.
Scroll down to the Paying Off Pennant--it's not what I expected.
There is also a couple of lines on the US Navy at the end.

http://atlasgeo.span.ch/fotw/flags/gb%5E~pen.html

Bruce C.

Brian Bailey
27th January 2006, 12:13
Just wondering if the pennant which is attached to a ship that has finished its life as a cruise ship is only a P&O tradition. I am right in saying that the pennant is a foot for every year of service or I am way off with that statement. Would appreciate some feedback on this , I have posted a picture in the gallery of Oronsay leaving Southampton I had just got off her.

Bob ( Sydney )

I too signed off oronsay before her final trip back to Sydney. It was a most emotional day and I remember the skipper Jock Lefevre well. I receieved a lovely letter from him a year later and a reference which was most useful to me in my application for the Metropolitan Police. As she sailed down the solent there were many tears as the pipe band played "will ye no come back again". A fitting tribute for a grand old scottish lady of the sea and to my mind the happiest ship in the fleet. I was a cabin steward on her for two years and loved every minute.

Phill
28th January 2006, 13:27
A nice shot of Britannia arriving in the pool of London for the last time, Proudly flying her paying off pennant, taken 1997

Phill

trotterdotpom
28th January 2006, 21:32
Didn't know that 'Old Queens' had paying off penants!

...and do they stop 'cruising'?

John T.