Adelaide Steamship Co or any Australian shipping coy of the 1950s

Boots
3rd November 2005, 08:15
Is there any one out there who was an Adsteam apprentice or officer in the 1950s or 60s?
I am intersted in hearing stories from those days to print in the South Australian MN Association newsletter "The Compass"

Doug H
3rd November 2005, 10:03
Boots: Spent some time serving on Holyman ships in 1958. Any use to you? Doug H

Gerard Carmichael
3rd August 2009, 21:44
Is there any one out there who was an Adsteam apprentice or officer in the 1950s or 60s?
I am intersted in hearing stories from those days to print in the South Australian MN Association newsletter "The Compass"

Hi Boots, Came across your article,I shipped out to Aussie on "Hamilton Sleigh" maiden voyage1962 served 5 years in Sleigh's done Master's in Sydney 1966. Then joined Howard Smith on Caltex Liverpool, Chief Off. Alan Tait, 2nd Off. Ken Ross. both joined Aust. Marine Dept. ashore in Melbourne,wonder if they are still going strong, the Bosun was Pat Geraghty,also in crew Alan Oliver, believe they became seaman's union officials. Wonder if you could tell me if Pat Geraghty is alive. I later answered an add 1968 for Master's in Singapore,had 5 years in command with Straits Steamship,during Veitnam War. A couple of questions, is H.C.Sleigh gone?, also my Ch. Engineer on Hamilton Sleigh ( Norman Pollock ) stayed Melbourne, Captain Tom Sheppard. "Golden Wonder" stayed Melbourne,retired Aussie. How can I trace them, would it be possible through the OFFICER'S GUILD. The last I heard Capt. Ross was quite well up in AUSTRALIA MARINE DEPT.SAFETY at sea. kind regards