ben line

scottdxb
12th May 2010, 10:11
Anyone sail with my uncle Willie Jamieson he was Chief Steward on several Ben boats both coastal and deep sea.

Scott

Paul Barford
12th May 2010, 11:07
Hi Scott,
sailed with your uncle a few times,On the Grey Fighter (known as the Disneyland special at the time) and on a few coasts, but don't remember which ships now, although think Benreoch was one.
Paul

scottdxb
12th May 2010, 12:53
Thanks for that, i remember on a few occasions when i was a kid meeting him when he docked in liverpool and getting bthe run of the galley and the swwets in the bond store. Sadly he passed away some 15yrs ago now.

Scott

john fraser
12th May 2010, 19:15
Anyone sail with my uncle Willie Jamieson he was Chief Steward on several Ben boats both coastal and deep sea.

Scott

Hi Scott.
Sailed with your uncle quite a lot.starting with Bencleuch in 66.then on and off after that.Didn,t he have a brother who was a truck driver.I remember the story of how Willie bought timber in Rejang.built a garage on deck,then dismantled it and his brother collected it in Liverpool and transported it home. True or otherwise i don,t know,it was before I knew him.

scottdxb
13th May 2010, 06:26
This is true willies brother Jim was the truck driver worked for Shore Porters Aberdeen, and that garage is still standing today it was moved to an allotment for a tool store. Uncle Willie was my dads brother (Fred).

I remember as a kid one scottish new years day being at my grans house and Willie arrived with on of his crew mates I think his name was john, he also stayed in Aberdeen. Once they had consumed a few tins of Mcewans export, the shipmate john was doing his party peace with blacked up face and white gloves impesenating All Jolson. All that electric toys that he used to take home, great memorys.

john fraser
13th May 2010, 07:57
This is true willies brother Jim was the truck driver worked for Shore Porters Aberdeen, and that garage is still standing today it was moved to an allotment for a tool store. Uncle Willie was my dads brother (Fred).

I remember as a kid one scottish new years day being at my grans house and Willie arrived with on of his crew mates I think his name was john, he also stayed in Aberdeen. Once they had consumed a few tins of Mcewans export, the shipmate john was doing his party peace with blacked up face and white gloves impesenating All Jolson. All that electric toys that he used to take home, great memorys.

That would have been John Digby.Last I heard of John he worked in Foresterhill as a porter but that was a few year ago.When at sea he lived in Eday drive I think it was.They all used to meet up in a bar in Market Street( Club Bar?)or at the Lord Byron but that was years ago.Those electric toys cost about 1 to 3 in the Far East,you see them now on the Tv auctions for a small fortune.wish I has all the ones I bought to take home and give away.

forthbridge
13th May 2010, 16:08
Scott,
Sailed with your uncle on my first coast with Ben Line in early 1959. I think that was the coast that someone broke in to the Chief Steward's cabin in Albert Dock and tried to get in to the safe.

fitlike
10th July 2010, 14:41
I sailed with John Digby on the Ben Gloe there was a little motorman from Glasgow and John used to get the man to sit on him knee and John would sign, and the motorman would move his lips just like a dummy, it was a great laugh with a few tins of tiger down you