PS Lincoln Castle to be broken up

Shane Johnson
17th May 2010, 10:52
From my local paper...seems our ever forward thinking local council has put the brakes on the deal with its demand for a bond.
I would add that this is the council that turned down the chance to buy the last remaining Steam Trawler, the Grimsby Town for peanuts, the same council that took on the Grimsby built sailing smack, the Esther and has subsequently left it to rot alongside the Ross Tiger.
The legacies of the past have been sytematically ignored, demolished and destroyed by this backward thinking council so to all of you who wish to take a last look, now is the time to do it because with the track record of Grimsby, it's time to say goodbye.

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/news/Undefined-Headline/article-2166359-detail/article.html?cacheBust=YAIzbyzhpr2h&success=true#community

Brushy
17th May 2010, 12:01
agree with the many critics of the GY council. But I may be biased as I once worked on her main engines at Humber Graving Dock company. Really interesting work as you don't get to see many horizontal paddle engines.I served my time at Grimsby on trawlers in the years straight after WW2. Sad to know all that heritage is now forgotten.Sad too to remember all the trawlermen who died at sea to bring fish to the table .The British government should hang its head in shame for letting a noble craft disappear in the name of politics .bob Broome

cueball44
18th September 2010, 15:16
The 'Lincoln Castle' which is now being torn apart by the dismantlers in 'Grimsby' is to be replaced by an exact replica which will be built in 'Hull', Which will be used to ferry people accross the 'River Humber', And will also be used after gaining a licence, For weddings to take place in the shadow of the 'Humber Bridge', Good News Fom Bad, I hope everything goes well because it is part of our heritage,'cueball44'.

sam2182sw
20th September 2010, 11:52
Hi in there dreams where are they going to get the money from to build such a ship and who is going to built it for them, it will take more time and money then they will get, just lets put it to sleep and forget her the owner as done the right think he as been let down that many times with people wanting the ship and not coming up with the goods, it takes a lot of money to keep some think like that going, and people get fed up of giving hand out all the time sam2182sw

cueball44
20th September 2010, 12:52
Hi in there dreams where are they going to get the money from to build such a ship and who is going to built it for them, it will take more time and money then they will get, just lets put it to sleep and forget her the owner as done the right think he as been let down that many times with people wanting the ship and not coming up with the goods, it takes a lot of money to keep some think like that going, and people get fed up of giving hand out all the time sam2182swThis story was in the 'Hull Daily Mail' last week, If anything comes in that say's it is 'Just a Dream' i will let you know(Smoke),'cueball44'.

sam2182sw
20th September 2010, 13:29
Hi cueball44 thanks for that i get the mail every night will keep a look out for it sam2182sw

cueball44
20th September 2010, 13:47
Hi cueball44 thanks for that i get the mail every night will keep a look out for it sam2182swJust to add, The 'Lincoln Castle Preservation Society' who's chairman is 'Stephen Sharpe' says they tracked the original plans for the ship to the 'Mitchell' library in 'Glasgow', And that it will be built in 'Hull' down to the last nail, And the only thing that will be different will be the toilet arrangements, Lets just wait and see.'cueball44'.

sam2182sw
20th September 2010, 14:43
Hi cueball44 well i have been a shipbuilder in Hull for over 55 years and had my own ship repair yard and been a shipowner for lots of years, that kind of money is just not around today, and i dont know where he will get the men to build it just not the men around as well, also what dry docks are in Hull none of the owners will tie a dock up for that long and they will want money all the time the dream build is going on. sam2182sw

John Dryden
20th September 2010, 14:53
I reckon that it is just a dream too sam,even if they built it new berthing facilities would be needed plus another million or two!

sam2182sw
20th September 2010, 15:11
Hi John you have to be in it to know it, might build a plastic model of it, dont get me wrong I live and die ships all day long and have enjoyed all my life in the game if it was posable i would get involved with it but who wants to spend all your life begging for money, if it was any good all the wizz kids would be in at it, if they want any help i will give it to them. the best think left on her is the engine and they want to be in there quick before any damage is done to it, who is braking her up will get a big suprise when they get to the bottom of her i put 80 ton of cement in her years ago when she fell trough the keel blocks in Alex dry dock Hull and i dont remember that repair ever been removed, she was like a razor on the bottom sam2182sw

sam2182sw
20th September 2010, 15:22
Hi just for the record i was the man in charge of the Artic Corseir when we did that one up for the H.C.C. and that keep running out of money, and we spent half our time going round to the local shipyard begging for them to do things at cost price and they got fed up with us and told us they do not run a company doing things for nothing, the price of labour and materials now a days is just out of scope for a hobby. sam2182sw

John Dryden
20th September 2010, 15:45
Very true sam,long gone are the days of the swashbuckling entrepreneurs like Francis Daly in the 70's!

sam2182sw
20th September 2010, 16:25
Hi John i remember Francis very well when he owned the Lincoln Castle, he ask me and a pal of mine to put her on the beach near the Humber Bridge and we did that for him, at the time he wanted to put her in the old Humber dock, we told him that it was impossible he wanted to hire a big crane at the time to lift her over the dock side we just told him that was not on. we did think of taking the paddle sponsons of the side of her but they where in such a bed state we thought best leave it alone and take her up the river near the bridge, when you take these thing on you have only to look at the P.S.RYDE and the MANXMAN they are been cut up for scrap and the MANXMAN Society had loads of money but they have pulled out now because it was to much money to get her back to a good state of repair, i was well involved in the Manxman when she was in Hull i put her in the dry dock for the owner and did not get paid 000000 a lot of money he went **** up and took a lot of people in Hull for a lot of money and then brought the ship back of the receiver for scrap price, I will bet any one that the price of the scrap of the Lincoln castle will just pay the bill for scarping her she is that thin there is on weight in the scrap at todays price which is still good,he as done the right think and saved a lot of heartache and that will save them a lot of money, she would have cost to much to repair, and i dont think the dock board would have let her cross the river Humber to come to a dry dock, they dont want a think like that blocking the river if she had sank, and then just think of the price of removing her if that had happened it not worth thinking about, and what insurance would have took it on sam2182sw

cueball44
20th September 2010, 16:27
Hi just for the record i was the man in charge of the Artic Corseir when we did that one up for the H.C.C. and that keep running out of money, and we spent half our time going round to the local shipyard begging for them to do things at cost price and they got fed up with us and told us they do not run a company doing things for nothing, the price of labour and materials now a days is just out of scope for a hobby. sam2182swHi Sam 2182sw, There is a brass plaque on the 'Arctic Corsair' in remembrance of my brother inlaw 'Ronald Seniscal' who was killed aboard her in 1978 by a swivell that parted due to being the wrong SWL, It's located for'ard on the bulkhead next to the steps leading up to the whaleback.'cueball44'.

sam2182sw
20th September 2010, 16:29
Hi cueball44 yes i did hear about that during the refit. sam2182sw