Macon

IAN M
20th May 2010, 20:55
Anyone know anything about the Macon, claimed to have being managed by ED and torpedoed on 24th July, 1941? She doesn't seem to have been claimed by a u-boat.

woodend
24th May 2010, 17:02
Greetings IAN M: I have just seen your query of 20th May re: MACON in 1941 which no one seems to have replied to as yet.
MACON was put under the management of E.D.'s in 1941 by the Ministry of War Transport. She was torpedoed, then shelled and sunk by the Italian submarine BARBARIGO with the loss of 4 crew members. Quite an interesting story of the survivors managing to purify sea water into potable water to sustain life.

IAN M
21st August 2010, 19:54
Tried To Send You An Email To Thank You For Your Reply, But Think You May Not Have Received It. Anyway, I Borrowed The Elder Dempster Fleet History (cowden And Duffy) From The Library And Found The Story Of The Macon.

Again, Many Thanks

Ian

bobsteadman
13th November 2011, 16:48
My father was one of the survivors of the macon,I have started to do some research. He died in 1974 He never spoke about it. I can however remember as a child my dad breaking down remembering, and mentioning a freind "yank"
Can you give me any tips. Bob 60

bobsteadman
10th December 2011, 18:53
Anyone know anything about the Macon, claimed to have being managed by ED and torpedoed on 24th July, 1941? She doesn't seem to have been claimed by a u-boat.
If you send me your e-mail address I will Send You bags of info. I have been doing some family research, My dad was one of its survivors.