Saga Rose has arrived in Jiangyin for breaking

shamrock
29th May 2010, 13:20
Maritime Matters have confirmed that Saga Rose has now reached her final destination. The city of Jiangyin on the Yangtze River is where she will be broken up for scrap.

A sad and undignified end for what was a beautiful old lady of the sea which has been drawn out over several months and via many countries.

:(

Dickyboy
29th May 2010, 15:18
Sad indeed Shamrock. I used to see her frequently in the Solent. One of the few ''Classic'' liners left.

John Rogers
29th May 2010, 16:50
I would bet that she would capture the title of "Most photographed Ship"its a shame to see them go this way, but I guess there is no other way unless its sinking them and making a reef out of the ship.

12 days of cruising Norway coming up the end of August.
12 days of cruising the River Volga,Moscow to St. Petersburg June 1011.

John.

Trader
29th May 2010, 18:43
A lovely old ship. A regular here in Dover over the past few years.

Alec.

S. Toth
30th May 2010, 23:56
"SAGA ROSE made a half circumnavigation of the world from Gibraltar around Africa, past Singapore and up to an anchorage off Shanghai, where she eventually proceeded to a berth in the industrial town of Jiangyin, known for its steel and scrap industry. It appears this will be where she meets her end" I also heard that she may also be trading yet. Sad for such a beautiful ship. One of the nicest

Trampshipman
2nd June 2010, 13:42
Went to sea 40`s/50`s era. Never did have much time for passenger ships, regarded them as nothing more than floating hotels. HOWEVER, I am saddened to hear that Saga Rose is now gone. I must admit that passenger ships of her era at least `looked like ships`. They had `sheer` and grace, beautiful lines. NOT like these hideous floating blocks of flats [monstrosities] that they mistakenly call ships today.
I think that Saga Rose was once a Cunarder, am I right ?

Glad to be a `dinosaur`.

Ken.

stein
2nd June 2010, 16:33
NAL's Sagafjord undertook her maiden voyage from Oslo to New York on 2 October to 11 October 1965. She sailed for Norwegian America Line until 1983, when she was taken over by Cunard.

S. Toth
2nd June 2010, 23:59
I also believe she kept her original name whilst under cunard ownership.

sparkie2182
3rd June 2010, 03:00
Quite correct Stephen.

One of her Masters, Captain Ron Bolton was a friend of mine, sadly he "crossed the bar"
in 2008.

Frank P
3rd June 2010, 10:11
Sad to hear of her pending demise.

She was a very nice ship, and in the 1970's while I was onboard the Royal Viking Star sometimes we were in the same port together and I went onboard her, and if there was a football pitch available the crews from the two ships usually had a game of football, the Royal Viking Star versus the Sagafjord.

Cheers Frank. (Thumb)

nesloone
3rd August 2010, 18:05
Indeed a sad story, but all vessels sooner or later have to be scrapped....and these days more need for scrapping commercial vessels than ever in history of shipping.

stores
3rd August 2010, 19:38
Sad news, one of the last real cruise that have grace and beauty, as said a proper looking ship, it makes u wonder what the next generation of cruise ships will look like if the current trend continues, more ugly monsters , most unship like, must be like a city of people cruising at the same time, yuk, ! still things allways seem to go full circle, maybe they will look like ships once again, but not in my lifetime, i personally think a modern version of Titanic would be a winner, STORES.

scorcher
4th August 2010, 22:49
I shall miss her curves sailing past the Isle of Wight. Still have a lot of photos to remind me.

nav
21st October 2010, 02:08
She did more round the world trips than the QE2.

makko
21st October 2010, 03:59
Nice to see a more realistic view of vessels! When we all move on to a "better place", it will be in a box or a furnace - Ships go to razor blades via the oxy acetylene torch! Still, I agree with all, a very graceful vessel who's "lines" shall be missed.
Rgds.
Dave