Hungry Hains!

ioncomike
29th May 2010, 22:14
For all you starving ex Hains sailors here's something for you to digest.
An extract from the Townsville Times Christmas 1956
Quote " TYPICAL MEAL"
Chief steward Peter Harris, of the British cargo vessel Trevethoe, also in Townsville, described the Christmas menu as a typical English christmas dinner but on the face of it it looks like a meal fit for royalty.
The menu:- Hors d'oeuvres, chilled tomato juice, soups (creme of tomato, muscovite consomme), fish (hollandaise, poached turbot), entree(asparagus tips au beurre), roasts(tom turkey, chipolatas, blackcurrant jelly, pork, beef), potatoes (saatoga, persil,duchess), vegetables (french beans, garden peas), confiture(christmas pudding ablaze with brandy sauce), cheeses(danish blue, parmesan). there were also mince pies, apples, nuts, suitable drinks, tangerines, and 'angels on horseback', oysters wrapped in bacon with skewers and then cooked. Chief steward harris, who has been in the cooking game for over 17 years, considers his hors d'ouevres his spaciality.
skipper of the trevetho, captain P.E.Maiden, found the city's weather the most unusual part of spending christmas in Australia. it was in contrast to Britains cold". End of quote
I know this was true because I was there (and it was b**** brilliant) but don't ask me how he did it on 3/6d a day!!!!
All other christmases I spent with Hains were back to standard although on one ship we did get two flapjacks for breakfast on christmas day.
John

Billieboy
30th May 2010, 07:45
Hello Mike, nice to see another Barrian on the site, I also sailed from Barry on Trelissick in September '62. Spent that Christmas at sea in the Pacific on the way to Japan.

slick
30th May 2010, 07:57
Hello Ioncomike,
Welcome, I too am Hain's man, you talk of Captain Maiden (?), he was Super when I was promoted to Third Mate Uncert. in 1961, he gave me a quick ROR test etc. at the Head Office with Captain J. Christopher in attendance.
In spite of all the talk of Hain's being poor feeders, I don't seem to, at this distance, remember them for being bad feeders mostly for hard driving and hard work.

Yours aye,

slick

ioncomike
31st May 2010, 15:31
I remember Capt. Christopher. I'd never met him before and this short man in a scruffy raincoat just waltzed in. Not knowing who he was I suggested in no uncertain manner that he left. I'm Capt Christopher he said which rather deflated me a bit but I did manage to blurt out that he should knock first before entering.