MV Chauncy Maples - This Old Lady Needs Help

Chris Isaac
30th May 2010, 17:03
On Thursday 17 June a reception is being held in London to launch The Chauncy Maples Fund.
The project is to renovate one of the oldest ships in the world, still in service, into a clinic that will provide health care to 500,000 lakeside people in Malawi.
In the late 1970s I had the pleasure of sailing as Master of this ship on a couple of round voyages of the lake. In spite of being the most unstable thing I have ever set foot on I comforted myself with the fact that she had remained upright for 85 years, therefore why should she overturn while under my command.
I am delighted that she is to be put back in service and with such a worthwhile mission.
If anyone feels they would like to help then please visit the Chauncy Maple web site at: http://www.chauncymaples.org/default.php

ROBERT HENDERSON
30th May 2010, 18:28
Chris
she did not have those motor boats and the extra deck years ago to affect her stability.
I have browsed thorough the link you gave and recognised the person that was described as the last Captain of the Chauncy Maples, Lameck Mponda, I had hime with me as Mate on the Ilala and Mtendere.
I will send a one of donation as I still hold my three years in Malawi with great affection.

Regards Robert