Iow Car Ferries

5th November 2005, 12:25
HI any one out there can help with the fate of the two 1960/61 car ferries
camber queen - fishbourne.

moaf
5th November 2005, 16:52
There is a book out, titled 'The Fishbourne Car Ferry' by John Faulkner, which looks at the history of the route and the vessels, if that helps. I hear people talking about these ships at work, but they were way before my time!!

onionsa
13th November 2005, 17:39
Hi there

According to my records, Fishborne was sold in 1984 to Pounds Shipping Marine at Portsmouth, who quickly resold her to a Turkish Cypriot outfit, Seagull Marine Ltd. who renamed her Kibris I. She sank in bad weather in Morphou Bay on 5 February 1985.

Camber Queen was sold in 1984 to Transportes Fluvials de Sado Ltda, of Setubal, Portugal who operated her as the Mira Trioa, until she was broken up, 2000

regards

Allan Ryszka-Onions

Mike O'Rourke
13th November 2005, 17:51
Hi there

According to my records, Fishborne was sold in 1984 to Pounds Shipping Marine at Portsmouth, who quickly resold her to a Turkish Cypriot outfit, Seagull Marine Ltd. who renamed her Kibris I. She sank in bad weather in Morphou Bay on 5 February 1985.

Camber Queen was sold in 1984 to Transportes Fluvials de Sado Ltda, of Setubal, Portugal who operated her as the Mira Trioa, until she was broken up, 2000

regards

Allan Ryszka-Onions

How the heck did they get then to the med....I sincerly hope they didnt steam round (EEK) Perhaps they took em through the Canal Du Midi (Ouch)

Aye
Mike'O'

moaf
13th November 2005, 22:19
I can't see them going there by themselves. The MCA won't even allow our Lymington boats go to Falmouth for drydock this year!

Doug Rogers
13th November 2005, 22:34
Thats an interesting little item Moaf!!...what do they propose?, a local dry docking??

moaf
13th November 2005, 22:40
The Portsmouth Saints are going to Falmouth, the Lymington C Class are going to Portsmouth. Also, The Lady Pamela and Patricia are being sold (they reckon!), and the new cats are still going to Husbands. This is all because A&P Southanpton have shut down.

Rusty
14th November 2005, 10:13
It should be easy to discover if she went through the Midi. Compare the length of the boat with the length of the locks on the canal. She most likely hugged the coast and made the passage during periods of calm weather. The short crossing to the I.o.W. can get surprisingly rough at times, so she would have been built to withstand that anyway.
Rusty

Doug Rogers
14th November 2005, 10:30
Thanks for that information, I guess it would be pretty much as would be expected with that sort of requirement by the MCA.
Sorry to hear about Pamela and Patricia, still they have been in service for a fair while now...but will any one buy them!!, that will be the interesting part!!!.

moaf
14th November 2005, 12:24
Thats what I'm thinking! They were only designed for a life of 10 years, that was 19 years ago! I think they will probably be more value as scrap. However, they've just gone through 2 main engines on the Pamela - one of them only ran for 87 hours before throwing a con-rod! The company obviously like throwing good money after bad!!!

robandbarbara
1st April 2007, 17:18
Just for Interest !! Car ferry Wootton (149/1928) at Portsmouth 22.03.1949. In sight behind the stern of Wootton is the old Portsmouth - Gosport chain ferry.

Hawkeye
2nd April 2007, 11:59
How the heck did they get then to the med....I sincerly hope they didnt steam round (EEK) Perhaps they took em through the Canal Du Midi (Ouch)

Aye
Mike'O'

They could have used the same method of transportation they employed to get the Pamela & Patrica from Australia.

HarbourCam
29th July 2007, 19:48
Videos of IOW ferries entering and leaving Portsmouth Harbour:

FastCat Ryde:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bBjDk89Hs8w

St Faith
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BzfP1iH2E0o

St Cecilia
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tDelYyYe2YM

St Clare
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JLYXXR-unxo

adicat
20th January 2009, 13:57
Our Lady Pamela still running today. Not often she gets an outing nowadays. New ferries due in November as Ryde & Shanklin never really built for this work.

R58484956
20th January 2009, 14:06
Greetings adicat and welcome to SN on your first posting. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

Andy Lavies
20th January 2009, 15:12
Camber Queen - my first official command in March 1968. Unofficial command - that's another story!
Andy