Ocean Monarch

david smith
25th October 2005, 17:28
The Ocean Monarch (ex Empress of England) leaving Auckland. Built 1957 and sold by Canadian Pacific in 1970, 25,971gt

gadgee
5th November 2005, 20:38
A photo taken by my wife whilst on Ocean Monarch of 3/O Jonty Howard in front of Northern Star somewhere in the Pacific. The Monarch must have been anchored off somewhere in the vicinity?

waiwera
6th November 2005, 19:37
Did you marry a Nursing Sister Paul? Or a pasenger ?

Take it you were 3/0 on the Northern Star at this time? Great times and a great life! Paid for it too! What more could a young man want?

gadgee
6th November 2005, 20:33
my wife was an assistant purser with SSA from 1971 to 74 on Monarch and Star. I met her on the Star in Dec 1973. I was 3/0 on Star from August 73 until May 74.

gadgee
6th November 2005, 21:21
A line up of Ocean Monarch officers in 1973 probably. Captain Fox in command. My wife is second from right.

brandane
8th November 2005, 11:05
To the far right of your picture is Chief Steward George Kaz - I had letter from him this week - he is currently in Sydney, Australia, on holiday.
I know many of the crew including old Doc King, I never sailed on the Monarch but many of the crew had sailed on the Star and the Cross - where I worked in the Purser' Office.

Great photo, Paul - must take a closer look to see how many more I recognise,

Cheers

Jamie

brandane
8th November 2005, 11:14
Hi Paul

I think I recognise quite a few faces here - especially pursers - Pete Lyon, Chris and Steve Biggs, Jerry Terleske,Roy Clarke, and Rosalia Chesterman, and also Mate Willie Carruthers, and Jonty Howard.

cheers Jamie

gadgee
9th November 2005, 21:20
Miles Eden-Smith , Deck Officer and Philippa Rowe, Nurse are also there!

John B.
10th November 2005, 07:58
Hello Paul,
Interesting to see some faces from long ago - Capt Fox, I sailed with in DURANGO, a fine seaman, Willie Carruthers relieved me as mate on DARRO, I heard subsequently he died at sea in command of RESOLUTION BAY? - I think I also recognise Craig Harris in the photo, he would have been 2/0 on OCEAN MONARCH.
Best rgds
John

gadgee
10th November 2005, 22:24
Yes Craig Harris, could not remember his name but you are right.

gadgee
5th December 2005, 22:19
Attached photo of Chris Biggs, my wife Eve, and Penny(?)
c1972

GeordieSteve
14th August 2007, 09:55
A line up of Ocean Monarch officers in 1973 probably. Captain Fox in command. My wife is second from right.
oh my god
I remember many of these people as I was night baker on the ocean monarch up until the last trip
geordie steve from sunderland

great memories anyone have any photos id love to see them
im in australia now
regards
steve
Please PM me.

GeordieSteve
14th August 2007, 09:58
when you say 3/0 or 2/0 what does that mean
regards
steve

R58484956
14th August 2007, 10:38
3rd navigating officer and 2nd ditto or 2nd mate & 3rd mate

gadgee
14th August 2007, 16:16
Steve
Glad that the photos brought back memories ( good or otherwise!)

Geoff_E
14th August 2007, 20:08
Is the "Jonty " Howard in the original photo the same one who was Master on the CSO Wellservicer a couple of years ago?

Don Meehan
15th August 2007, 12:16
Yes Craig Harris, could not remember his name but you are right.

I must tell Craig Harris about the photo. I've worked with him for the past 28 years, 21 of which he's been my boss.

Don

JohnMac068
15th August 2007, 16:42
Is the "Jonty " Howard in the original photo the same one who was Master on the CSO Wellservicer a couple of years ago?

Must say it looks very like him, I knew Jonty when he was a DPO on Houlder Offshore's Uncle John, in fact I gave him the job on there, after interviewing him in the "Rising Sun" at Warsash. Houlder Offshore was taken over by Stena Offshore, when China Merchants sold us off, in 1990/91. I know he went to the Stena Constructor in the Falklands for a while, his RNR connection probably helped down there.

GeordieSteve
16th August 2007, 03:12
I have some photos of the ocean monarch and crew are they any use posted on here?

regards
steve

K urgess
16th August 2007, 12:32
We always like to see faces of crew members in the gallery.
Maybe someone we knew way back when.
Looking forward to seeing them.

Kris

Brennie
12th May 2008, 03:02
I sailed on the Ocean Monarch three times as a passenger, does anyone remember Bob English who was the Bar Manager in the 70's?

Malcolm S
21st August 2008, 22:38
Greetings,
I also recognized many faces, I was 2/O there for a while, until its last trip infact. I am still happily married to Geraldine one of the nurses from the OM, we now live in BC Canada and belong to the SSL Society.
Our regards to all,
Malcolm and Geraldine.

bamyai
2nd November 2008, 21:04
Hi malcolm. I think I remember Geraldine stiching my hand up after a er accident ...I was night baker on the ocean monarch

in australia now
regards
steve
ps the hands doing well tell her

R831814
9th November 2008, 21:27
Can any of you OM guys throw any light on where this photograph was taken and where?
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/146284/ppuser/7321
I took it and think it was summer 72 but previous comments seem to have ruled this date out. Southern Europe, possibly Cadiz but I was certainly not in the Pacific at that time.
Getting very confused now.

gadgee
9th November 2008, 22:16
Reg
I have Shaw Savill Passenger Timetables for 1971-3 and Ocean Monarch was scheduled to sail from Auckland for UK via Panama on May 24th 1972. She was due to arrive UK on June 25th. She then started UK cruises until November 3rd 1972 when she sailed for Auckland via Panama and San Francisco. She may therefore have been in Cadiz in Summer 1972.

Brian Havelock
27th January 2009, 08:03
Yes I remember Bob English, richest man of the crew. Used to drive a blue e-type Jaguar. This was 1972-73

Brian Havelock
27th January 2009, 08:11
This photo taken in the aft bar beleive early 73. Mainly electricians and engineers.

Brian Havelock
30th January 2009, 05:38
Believe to be first voyage of the Ocean Monarch at circular quay, Sydney after taking ship from CP Ships prior to refit at Cammell Lairds, Liverpool

Malcolm S
4th February 2009, 09:07
Just had another look at the picture of all the officers, it was taken before my time on board but I think I see Dave Hamblin Radio Officer. He came to my wedding. Does anybody know where he is now?

Brian Havelock
28th May 2009, 06:36
This was the first voyage down under, after taking Monarch over from CP Ships
Cruising out of Australian, New Zealand waters.
Once again Engineers, Lecky's taking it easy.
Passengers, playboy and playgirls.

Brian Havelock
28th May 2009, 06:42
If this is the guy resting on the handrail, extreme left on the photo. Sailed with him on the Megantic prior to the Monarch.
It looks like the same R/O three ringer, used to wear a wig.

Dave Hamblin R/O in reply to Malcolm S.

Parkway
15th February 2010, 14:58
If this is the guy resting on the handrail, extreme left on the photo. Sailed with him on the Megantic prior to the Monarch.
It looks like the same R/O three ringer, used to wear a wig.

Dave Hamblin R/O in reply to Malcolm S.

The bewigged R/O extreme left is (now deceased) Bob Langford-Baker resident of Invercargill, South Island, NZ. who was Chief R/O when Bill Fryer (usual Chief R/O) was on leave. My eyesight is not very good these days but I can't see Dave Hambling in the photo even when zooming in, he would normally have been veiled by a thick cloud of cigar smoke in any case. Met Chris Wright ex 3/O on the Monarch in about '82 and was told that Dave Hambling was working as an R/O (of course) on ferries Dover Strait area (Sealink ?). Sadly have lost touch with Chris. In case anyone is interested I was a first trip R/O on the OM from probably April to Oct 73. I remember Malcolm S...... does he remember me ? First post from me.
Cheers,
Rob.

Malcolm S
21st February 2010, 03:46
The bewigged R/O extreme left is (now deceased) Bob Langford-Baker resident of Invercargill, South Island, NZ. who was Chief R/O when Bill Fryer (usual Chief R/O) was on leave. My eyesight is not very good these days but I can't see Dave Hambling in the photo even when zooming in, he would normally have been veiled by a thick cloud of cigar smoke in any case. Met Chris Wright ex 3/O on the Monarch in about '82 and was told that Dave Hambling was working as an R/O (of course) on ferries Dover Strait area (Sealink ?). Sadly have lost touch with Chris. In case anyone is interested I was a first trip R/O on the OM from probably April to Oct 73. I remember Malcolm S...... does he remember me ? First post from me.
Cheers,
Rob.

Hello Rob,
Sadly my memory is failing, Dave I remember well (unshaved, cigar and golf club) as we shared the 4-8. Bob Baker, well, who could ever forget him?
A few old names have been back in touch from those days but contact is sadly in decline.
I married the nurse Geraldine, have three sons. We joined the SSL society but since we live near Vancouver have never made any functions.
They certainly were great days!
Rgds
Malcolm

thaipete
21st July 2012, 23:27
Hello,
Peter Lyon here, now living in Thailand, Your wife was a Purserette, and sailed with me a lot. is her name Evelyn,
I hope you are well, where are you living now?
Pete

thaipete
21st July 2012, 23:32
you forgot his small upskirt camera

thaipete
21st July 2012, 23:51
Where are you now?
Pete

Graham Neil Snaith
6th March 2013, 14:06
Just joined. Cadet on Ocean Monarch in 70's and Glasgow Nautical College. Any old aquaintenances out there?

Graham Snaith

GeordieSteve
18th August 2013, 12:13
Hi Graham I was baker on the ocean monarch up till she was sent to taiwan for the knackers yard - steve the geordie baker now in Australia

R58484956
18th August 2013, 16:06
Greetings Graham and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

shipsboatswain
1st September 2013, 22:20
I was Bosun's Mate on the first voyage but had joined six months earlier at Cammell Laird for the deck conversion / refit. Sid Franks was the Bosun, Sean Blunney was the other Bosun's Mate. John Docherty from Liverpool was Senior Carpenter. Miles Eden Smith, First Mate and Willie Carruthers, Chief. Two delightful men. John Docherty took great delight in teasing the posh Miles, who took it all with good grace. The first month out required constant calls for the Plumber to call the bridge. Miles ES devised the idea of a series of taps over the tannoy to have PO's call the bridge.. Most of all i remember a great many beautiful young women.

alan ward
2nd September 2013, 14:39
This photo taken in the aft bar beleive early 73. Mainly electricians and engineers.

Was the bloke in his shorts called Chris?

Malcolm S
3rd September 2013, 17:47
I was Bosun's Mate on the first voyage but had joined six months earlier at Cammell Laird for the deck conversion / refit. Sid Franks was the Bosun, Sean Blunney was the other Bosun's Mate. John Docherty from Liverpool was Senior Carpenter. Miles Eden Smith, First Mate and Willie Carruthers, Chief. Two delightful men. John Docherty took great delight in teasing the posh Miles, who took it all with good grace. The first month out required constant calls for the Plumber to call the bridge. Miles ES devised the idea of a series of taps over the tannoy to have PO's call the bridge.. Most of all i remember a great many beautiful young women.

Greetings,
Sid Franks, Boson -- Is that the same Sid I sailed with on the Cunard Countess? Very high up in the NUS. Last I heard he was still alive and living in London, but that was a few years ago.
I believe Willie is no longer with us but we met up with Miles at the last re-union in Norwich. After 40 years we thought we had better try to go to one at least!
The tap system on the tannoy worked well. Brilliant idea, we used it on the Northern Star as well.
Malcolm

Peter Cason
6th September 2013, 18:48
So pleased to have seen photos, me and my wife used to work on the monarch when they took on 300 women. Does anyone remember the strike? They flew staff home from Australia..

shipsboatswain
6th September 2013, 22:23
Greetings,
Sid Franks, Boson -- Is that the same Sid I sailed with on the Cunard Countess? Very high up in the NUS. Last I heard he was still alive and living in London, but that was a few years ago.
I believe Willie is no longer with us but we met up with Miles at the last re-union in Norwich. After 40 years we thought we had better try to go to one at least!
The tap system on the tannoy worked well. Brilliant idea, we used it on the Northern Star as well.
Malcolm

Yes, the same Sid Franks. An outstanding seaman and a great colleague. I learnt a great deal from him on managing people, that has served me well in my career ashore. When Sid was Bosun on the Countess i was Bosun on the Ambassador. The Captain was Victor Arbuckle, The Chief Officer was John Hall, a delight to work for.

yasmin chomin
17th October 2013, 03:14
would be great to hear from old seamates, after leaving the sea i lived in nz for 10 years and now I am back in the uk, worked on union castle ine, fred olsen, p.o, ssm, townsend thoresen, viking 3, and shaw savill line on the lynfield.

brandane
20th October 2013, 12:17
Hi Yasmin ~ have you heard of the Shaw Savill Society (NZ & UK branches) if interested ~ UK branch has reunion every year ~ many OM crew attend, including Catering staff. If interested contact me ~ send me private message with personal email ~ cheers Jamie (ex Asst Purser) Shaw Savill Society, NZ Branch

Gulpers
20th October 2013, 12:29
would be great to hear from old seamates, after leaving the sea i lived in nz for 10 years and now I am back in the uk, worked on union castle ine, fred olsen, p.o, ssm, townsend thoresen, viking 3, and shaw savill line on the lynfield.

Yasmin,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
I see you have been a member for some time and I hope you are thoroughly enjoying the SN experience.
Now that you've taken the plunge, keep posting. (Thumb)

R58484956
20th October 2013, 16:47
Greetings Yasmin and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

yasmin chomin
21st October 2013, 12:36
hi there Jaimie that would be great to go to a shaw savill, ocean monarch reunion

brandane
23rd October 2013, 18:10
hi there Jaimie that would be great to go to a shaw savill, ocean monarch reunion
Hi Yasmin

Please contact me by private message - and give you your personal email and can arrange for application form be sent to you by UK secretary. Its not an Ocean Monarch reunion but many former OM staff attend the Reunions.
Cheers Jamie

brandane
23rd October 2013, 18:28
Was the bloke in his shorts called Chris?
Hi Alan

Surprise to see you are purser on OM - I think we did not sail together but I worked in Pursers Office 1967-1973 - mainly on Southern Cross, then Northern Star ~ with a year on Arawa in 1970. Many of the pursers have passed on now ~but Roy Clarke, Derek Pell, Tony Ralph, Warwick Andrew, Jerry Terleske and Colin Banyard are still to the fore. Are you member of the UK Shaw Savill Society? Cheers Jamie (NZ Society secretary)

yasmin chomin
23rd October 2013, 21:49
hi i was on the ocean monarch 1974 to the end 1975 x

Malcolm S
14th November 2013, 18:49
Can any of you OM guys throw any light on where this photograph was taken and where?
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/146284/ppuser/7321
I took it and think it was summer 72 but previous comments seem to have ruled this date out. Southern Europe, possibly Cadiz but I was certainly not in the Pacific at that time.
Getting very confused now.

I cant get the link to open, says it is "not found in gallery" -- any further ideas?
Malcolm

brandane
14th November 2013, 22:33
I cant get the link to open, says it is "not found in gallery" -- any further ideas?
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm ~ yes I have same response ~ seems image has been removed from website.
For your interest ~ if you can plan ahead ~ the NZ Branch of Shaw Savill Society holding next reunion in April, 2014 at Hamilton ~ if interested and plan another trip down under ~ let me know and I can send you details.
Cheers Jamie (the Purser)
Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch

greg mellor
25th November 2013, 09:17
I sailed on the Ocean Monarch three times as a passenger, does anyone remember Bob English who was the Bar Manager in the 70's?

Certainly do I worked with him...nice guy

Alan Briggs

Malcolm S
28th November 2013, 07:46
Hi Malcolm ~ yes I have same response ~ seems image has been removed from website.
For your interest ~ if you can plan ahead ~ the NZ Branch of Shaw Savill Society holding next reunion in April, 2014 at Hamilton ~ if interested and plan another trip down under ~ let me know and I can send you details.
Cheers Jamie (the Purser)
Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch

Greetings,
Had a major computer burn out so a bit behind on coms, sorry!

We are intending to visit NZ and Ausie land next year but later than April, pity we would love to meet old friends. Please pass on our best wishes and especially Craig Harris if you see him.
Don't think we will make the re-union in Cambridge either. Our travels to the outside world are tied to seeing grandkids in Quebec, G's family re-union in Ireland and then pleasure trips to NZ, Aus and maybe China and Tibet but all still very much only at the thinking stage.
M

greg mellor
24th December 2013, 06:58
So pleased to have seen photos, me and my wife used to work on the monarch when they took on 300 women. Does anyone remember the strike? They flew staff home from Australia..

Remember it well, how are you Peter, you were in the engineers mess
if I recall correctly.

blair2401
27th March 2014, 16:58
I was on the Ocean Monarch from 1960 to 1962. on the old New York to Bermuda cruises along with the Queen of Bermuda. Because of the foul weather out of New York,, she was the first ship to start cruises out of Port Everglades Florida. That was a one horse town then. look at it now The Captain was Ray Marshall

gadgee
27th March 2014, 17:49
I was on the Ocean Monarch from 1960 to 1962. on the old New York to Bermuda cruises along with the Queen of Bermuda. Because of the foul weather out of New York,, she was the first ship to start cruises out of Port Everglades Florida. That was a one horse town then. look at it now The Captain was Ray Marshall

Expect you may realise that that was a different Ocean Monarch to the Shaw Savill one (ex Canadian Pacific) mentioned in this thread? Having said that I sailed with Ray Marshall as Master on the Icenic in 1972. A good bloke.

Stephen J. Card
27th March 2014, 18:40
Expect you may realise that that was a different Ocean Monarch to the Shaw Savill one (ex Canadian Pacific) mentioned in this thread? Having said that I sailed with Ray Marshall as Master on the Icenic in 1972. A good bloke.

Was 2/O in ICENIC in 1977. Freddie Boize was master. Unfortunately Ray Marshall was off. I met a gentleman on the deck one evening on the way ashore to bring this guest to to the Mate... ah... can't remember... double-barrel name... ex NORTHERN STAR... Starling - Something any how next morning the Mate told me that I had met to Ray Marshall. Pity. Ray Clay was decent Mate on the deep sea run.

Even more pity that Boize was doing the next voyage. His watchkeeping certificate was filled in for 'conduct & sobriety' for me as 'average'!!!!! Just because of an incident in Panama.... self, 3/O, extra 3/O and 6 cadets....oh... and the sparkie.... hmmm... well the lot of us were an the carpet. Everyone was kicked of the Bar Committe... so I joined... and was kicked off that after less that 12 hours. I was told that is was the shortest time everyone had ever been on the committe!

Oh... the watch certificate. I fixed that later. Chat with Brian Cater in Personnel and it was fixed.

Stephen

greg mellor
31st March 2014, 09:57

I remember Bob English sailed with him on the Monarch and the Arawa, last I heard he was a happily married man in Liverpool.
Think he married on of the hairdressers

brandane
8th April 2014, 23:09
Greetings,
Had a major computer burn out so a bit behind on coms, sorry!

We are intending to visit NZ and Ausie land next year but later than April, pity we would love to meet old friends. Please pass on our best wishes and especially Craig Harris if you see him.
Don't think we will make the re-union in Cambridge either. Our travels to the outside world are tied to seeing grandkids in Quebec, G's family re-union in Ireland and then pleasure trips to NZ, Aus and maybe China and Tibet but all still very much only at the thinking stage.
M
Hi Malcolm ~ sorry have not been on SN for some time ~ when are you planning to visit NZ. Our reunion 25-27April ~ with few deckies Cyril Tucker, John Welch, Chris Sharp, George Holmes and Harry Hignett. Craig ~ I never see ~ as far as I know he is still at the helm of McKay Shipping.
I travel to China regularly ~ so if you need any advice on China ~ please contact me ~ I have lived there 6 months each year since I retired, and have some good contacts there regarding travel. Hope alls well with you, Cheers Jamie

Phildaley
30th April 2014, 20:45
Hi
I'm not sure how active this thread anymore but I sailed on the OM on her last 3 voyages , I was the French polisher , phil daley, lots of fond memories of my friends on the deck department

Lots of photo's I plan to dig out

Malcolm S
4th May 2014, 17:42
Hi Malcolm ~ sorry have not been on SN for some time ~ when are you planning to visit NZ. Our reunion 25-27April ~ with few deckies Cyril Tucker, John Welch, Chris Sharp, George Holmes and Harry Hignett. Craig ~ I never see ~ as far as I know he is still at the helm of McKay Shipping.
I travel to China regularly ~ so if you need any advice on China ~ please contact me ~ I have lived there 6 months each year since I retired, and have some good contacts there regarding travel. Hope alls well with you, Cheers Jamie

Greetings,
From our latest plans NZ has been knocked off the list for the moment. Never mind, another time. How did the re-union go? Just realized you mentioned Chris Sharp - do you have his contact details? Geraldine and I would love to get back in touch with him.
M

Barney Abbott
14th May 2014, 10:08
Can anyone tell me when the Ocean Monarch arrived in Sydney 1974 December.
We came to Australia on her. My daughter, a child at the time, would now like to know.

Stephen N McCabe
21st May 2014, 07:17
When I joined the Furness Group in 1966 Freddie Boize was the guy who looked after Deck Cadets. He sent me to join my 1st ship "Egyptian Prince" 2 days before she docked. What a boor he was!

brandane
26th May 2014, 00:01
Hi Barney

This reply from Shaw Savill passenger dept NZ ~
That one is a bit hard to figure out exactly but the first cruise ex Sydney was on 20th December for a short Christmas cruise. So I would imagine the ship probably arrived on the 19th December 1974 as it sailed for the cruise at 3.00pm on the 20th.
Cheers Jamie
Shaw Savill Society, NZ Branch

jbo
4th June 2014, 10:15
Freddie Boize !
Wonderful man, really kick-started my career.
I owe him everything I ever achieved !

Ronald Clayton
20th June 2014, 03:32
Hi, I am wondering if either Brandane or Gadgee can help me with some information.
I did several Cruises on the Northern Star during 1973 as part of the Australian Band 'Ted Mulry Gang' and finished the year off with the Cruise on the Ocean Monarch to America and Canada. Many of the Crew may remember us as we also lugged the gear down to the Crew Mess on occasions and played for the Crew and also did the Xmas Party on the Ocean Monarch at Circular Quay prior to Xmas 1973.
I am interested in finding the dates for these Cruises and the ports of call. I think the Ocean Monarch Cruise departed somewhere near October 22 1973 and returned about December 12 1973, did a Pacific Cruise approx 10 days and then returned and had Xmas party.
I am not sure about the Cruises on the Northern Star nor how many we did but I can slot in the schedules with gaps in the dates in my Ted Mulry Gang History.
Kind Regards

Graham Pepper
3rd July 2014, 22:32
"Northern Star" did three cruises from Sydney between 18 February and 5 April 1973. I have full port details if this is the period you are after. Don't have "Ocean Monarch" details at the moment as my files are in store.

Ronald Clayton
4th July 2014, 16:50
Hello Graham, As I mentioned I am not sure how many Cruises we did, (they liked us enough to keep using the Band). I am not sure whether we did any that early in 1973 but I definitely have gaps in my dates that would fit into February and March. I really am after dates ex Sydney and return plus Ports of Call. I do have gaps in each Month between February and September that would have allowed for a Cruise. Thanking you for whatever information you can provide to me. regards Ron

Graham Pepper
6th July 2014, 14:14
Ron
Dates for "Northern Star" that I have are :
18/02 Sld Sydney for Auckland, Rarotonga, Papeete, Pago Pago, Apia, Suva, arrd Sydney 05/03.
06/03 Sld Sydney for Brisbane, Vila, Lautoka, Suva, Auckland, arrd Sydney 20/03.
21/03 Sld Sydney for Lautoka, Suva, Apia, Nuku'alofa, Auckland, arrd Sydney 05/04.
Hope this helps.
Graham

Ronald Clayton
10th July 2014, 16:02
Graham,
I thank you kindly for your response and help. Just need some dates now for other months of that year 1973 on either Northern Star or Ocean Monarch.
Kind Regards
Ron.

mike oldfield
3rd November 2014, 18:05
Hi Everyone,

I sailed on the OM from Liverpool as a Junior Catering Officer in 1969..... Eddie Murphy Staff Chief Catering Officer's gopher.

brandane
6th November 2014, 03:02
Hi Mike

Seem to recall your name ! Must have met on Star or Cross as never sailed on OM.
Eddie, and his wife Jessie, both over the horizon now ~ and ended their days in Brisbane, Aust
Cheers Jamie, the Purser

Mick Mills
29th November 2014, 19:49
Hi Yazmin, dont know if you are still around but sailed with you on OM, leaving Aussie on the final voyage home not our finest hour. If I could relive part of my life over again then it would be with the crew of the Ocean Monarch in the ships final year

EMJAYESS
11th December 2014, 20:14
Believe to be first voyage of the Ocean Monarch at circular quay, Sydney after taking ship from CP Ships prior to refit at Cammell Lairds, Liverpool

I had just completed my apprenticeship at Cammell Lairds - Birkenhead, not Liverpool and joined SS&ACo as J/E. Greeted Ocean Monarch upon her arrival in Southampton. After 3/4 days we the standby crew took her round to the Mersey and drydock at Lairds. My dreams of a six month refit standby in home town came to naught. Telegram from KGV offices,train to Euston, District line out to Canning Town, Royal Docks and MV Cymric, deep sea to Oz & Kiwi for my opening circumnavigation first trip. Great times.

ChasH
12th December 2014, 02:08
Hello Paul,
Interesting to see some faces from long ago - Capt Fox, I sailed with in DURANGO, a fine seaman, Willie Carruthers relieved me as mate on DARRO, I heard subsequently he died at sea in command of RESOLUTION BAY? - I think I also recognise Craig Harris in the photo, he would have been 2/0 on OCEAN MONARCH.
Best rgds
John

hi John, I sailed with a Capt Fox in the Andes wonder if its the same always rolled his own cigs, and Wittiger was the staffy, I think they were originally P.S.N.C. not sure, all the best Chas

alan ward
12th December 2014, 15:44
Hi Alan

Surprise to see you are purser on OM - I think we did not sail together but I worked in Pursers Office 1967-1973 - mainly on Southern Cross, then Northern Star ~ with a year on Arawa in 1970. Many of the pursers have passed on now ~but Roy Clarke, Derek Pell, Tony Ralph, Warwick Andrew, Jerry Terleske and Colin Banyard are still to the fore. Are you member of the UK Shaw Savill Society? Cheers Jamie (NZ Society secretary)

Sorry Mate,I was a purser but not with SS&A,Chris and I had friends in common in SA and I met him once when they visited me on some Clan boat or another(I worked on so many without signing on round the coast)