Tonnage hatch

Ian Brown
17th June 2010, 03:48
Was it the Industria or the Gina Maria that had a tonnage hatch?
It was not supposed to be used for cargo but I recall some being overcarried in just that place because it did not appear on the cargo plan so got overlooked.

Keltic Star
17th June 2010, 05:39
Memory is a bit foggy but from what I recollect, the tonnage hatch had to remain open and gave access to the shelter deck which was an area exempt from certain tonnage measurements and/or charges because it was not water or weather tight.

If I remember correctly it was the uppermost cargo deck and had freeing ports. The theory was that water could enter through the tonnage hatch and drain out through the freeing ports thus not particularly suitable for cargo. In practice, we put a tarp over the tonnage hatch and then stowed the Board of Trade gangway on top of it to ensure very little water ever entered the shelter deck.

slick
17th June 2010, 07:13
All,
I seem to remember that Tonnage Hatches could be secured but only from the inside by means of a line through rings on the inside of the Hatch Boards and securing rings inside the coaming of the Tonnage Hatch.
Yours aye,

slick

J Boyde
17th June 2010, 08:43
I have a memory of the Araluen hatch being changed. It did have a difference when one , or both of canals were being used. Memory, how it ages, or some thing.
Jim B

muldonaich
17th June 2010, 11:56
i remember having to emty everything out of the tonnage going through the suez canal in the early 60s onto the deck dont know why mabye rand will remember

borderreiver
17th June 2010, 12:39
We had a tonnage hatch on the Port Montreal. used for all the junk you kept in case it would be come useful some day. Had to get rid of all of it so as to carry cargo. very small.

Keltic Star
18th June 2010, 03:06
i remember having to emty everything out of the tonnage going through the suez canal in the early 60s onto the deck dont know why mabye rand will remember

Officially to lower the Suez Canal tonnage dues. Unofficially, so that the searchlight crews could steal the swag laying on deck.

Gulpers
18th June 2010, 04:22
Was it the Industria or the Gina Maria that had a tonnage hatch?
It was not supposed to be used for cargo but I recall some being overcarried in just that place because it did not appear on the cargo plan so got overlooked.

Ian,

Gina Maria certainly had a tonnage hatch.
During my time on board we traded back and forth between the Mediterranean, NOLA, Vera Cruz and Tampico.
The Spanish Bosun used to store some spare blocks, guys and preventers in the hatch however, I don't ever recall any cargo being carried in the space. (Thumb)

Ian Brown
18th June 2010, 07:59
When I was on Gina Maria she was Vera Cruz/Tampico, Around Caribean, South America North Coast/West Coast. Happy days for a single 3/O!
I remember 4/E and me going down a rusty ladder to the bottom of the Tonnage Hatch to start an old single cylinder Emergency Fire Pump. We had to light a taper and screw it into the cylinder head then wind a massive flywheel fast enough to get it going. Thankfully we never needed it for real.
I think the cargo had been overbooked and the C/O squeezed the extra in this hatch.

Wonder if that was the same Spanish Bosun who used to top all the derricks in port by himself in the morning.
He slacked all the guys off, including schooner guys, the topped both no1 derricks. Ran back round the mast house, started topping ford pair for no2 hatch, ran back just in time to stop no1 derricks and back for other pair. And so on down the deck. Not a lot of H&S then.

Gulpers
18th June 2010, 08:35
Ian,

Rusty ladder (?HUH) - can't have been Gina Maria, no rust on her! (Jester)
Yes, you are absolutely correct, there was an antiquated fire pump down there and, like you, we mercifully never had to use the thing in earnest.

Don't think it was the same bosun, I don't remember those antics with the derricks. The one I sailed with had a real thing about painting the ship and, to be fair, given her age, he had her looking like a wee yacht. He always added a touch of blue to all the white paint and it gave a really crisp, almost icy effect. I vividly remember him dashing onto the bridge as we were southbound in the Florida Straits one afternoon. He had just completed one of his painting projects and there were a goodly number of waterspouts visible ahead of us. He spent the afternoon directing our 2/O around any approaching spouts to protect his gleaming paintwork. (EEK)