Hms Newcastle

RUMRAT
28th April 2004, 23:30
HMS NEWCASTLE Alongside at Spillers Wharf Newcastle July 8th 2003

trotterdotpom
11th July 2005, 17:20
Is that a new berth in Newcastle, or is it Spillers at Gateshead? If so, what is all that green stuff in the background? I visited there in January 2005 and there is a big glass place that I forget the name of.

Sentimental place for me - first time I missed a ship (Stephenson Clarke's "Amberley", about 1969).

John T.

fred henderson
11th July 2005, 18:43
Hi John. You seem to be slightly confused by the three silos on the Tyne. Is that why you missed your ship?
The Spillers silo is at the most easterly end of the Newcastle Quay, at the start of what were the deep-sea berths used by the City of Durban class and similar large ships. The quay used to be lined with warehouses and went as far as the modern white pagoda like building visable in the stern view of HMS Newcastle. At that point there was a bridge over the Ouseburn and the quay was generally used by short-seas ships including the DFDS Kronprins Frederik on her passenger service to Esbjerg. There was another silo (Co-op I think) which has been replaced by an up market hotel. (The large red brick building in the same photo).
The third silo was at Gateshead and has now been converted into a major gallery and art centre. It is also just visable in the same photo, next to the trees on the other side of the Tyne from the destroyer. This was Ranks Baltic Mill. The modern glass structure that you mention John is the Sage concert hall and it is between the Baltic and the Tyne Bridge.

Best regards
Fred

Alan Blair
12th July 2005, 01:13
Thees are fine looking photos---------Alan

trotterdotpom
12th July 2005, 13:42
Thanks Fred.

It's nearly 40 years ago and I was sure the flour mill at Gateshead was Spillers. The reason I missed the ship was duff gen from the cook and two long in the "Golden Tiger" on the other side of the river! Is the pub still there?

John T.

fred henderson
12th July 2005, 15:59
Thanks Fred.

It's nearly 40 years ago and I was sure the flour mill at Gateshead was Spillers. The reason I missed the ship was duff gen from the cook and two long in the "Golden Tiger" on the other side of the river! Is the pub still there?

John T.

I am sorry John but I cannot help you on the ever changing fortunes and names of the multitude of pubs on Tyneside.

Best regards
Fred