A History of the British Merchant Navy

Tom Inglis
29th June 2010, 11:33
Richard Woodman ex Blue Funnel , Ex Trinity House and author of a number of books about the sea has published "A History of the British Merchant Navy" in 5 volumes covering the British merchant shipping from 1500 through to the present time. Looks like being seriously interesting to all SN members. See www.thehistorypress.co.uk/news/merchant-navy.aspx

Looks like a good Christmas present!

Tom Inglis

Bob Murdoch
25th July 2010, 13:02
Hi Tom,
I just finished reading Vols 1 and 2 (an early Chrissy present) and have vols 3 and 4 waiting for me to start. Vol 5 on pre-order.
I like Woodman's style and his usual no nonsense treatment, having read his 3 Convoy books. However, I must say that vol one used words that I quite honestly have neveer seen in any publication before. I do not claim any great erudition, however, it took me aback. Vol 2 imroves in this regard.
There are a few very glaring spelling errors and typos but nowadays when it seems all proofreading is done by computer, this is becoming the norm.
These niggles aside, I am very happy with my pressy and looking forward to geting on with the others.
Good price through Book Depositary and free shipping anywhere in the world made it attractive. (Hope this is not taken as advertising, if so sorry, remove).
As I say a good read.
Cheers, Bob Murdoch

Nick Balls
25th July 2010, 14:45
His book 'The real cruel sea' was very well researched and I am looking forward to reading these.

signalman
25th July 2010, 17:05
Bob Murdoch - Thanks for putting me on to The Book Depository - better than Amazon. Signalman.

Bob Murdoch
26th July 2010, 12:38
You are welcome. Been using it for a while myself. They also used to give a comparison price with Amazon, even if they were more expensive, occasionally.
Anyhow, just started reading Richard Woodman's Battle of the River Plate. a Pen and Sword book. So far up to his usual standard.
Cheers, Bob