Esso Tankers - merged threads

bondy
16th June 2005, 16:04
Does Any One Know What Happened To Any Of These Tankers I Sailed On. Esso Demita,esso Cambra,esso Cardiff,esso Scotia,esso Clyde,esso Humber. (eek)

Auke Visser
16th June 2005, 17:02
Take a look on my site about Esso tankers.
Link is ; http://visseraa.topcities.com/
Maybe you will find there an answer.
Auke Visser.

fred henderson
16th June 2005, 17:25
Hi Bondy
I can help with three of your ships. All remained with Esso until they were scrapped. Esso Cambria in South Korea in 1981, Esso Scotia in Taiwan in 1981 and Esso Cardiff in South Korea in 1983.
After the Exxon Valdez fiasco the owners thought it would be prudent to remove their company name from their ships. Esso Clyde and Esso Humber became Petro Clyde and Petro Humber in 1994. Someone will know what became of them.
Fred Henderson

bondy
16th June 2005, 21:44
Auke Visser.

THANKS AUKE NICE SITE

Fairfield
17th June 2005, 06:45
Hi Auke-nice to see you here as well.as you know,enjoy your site!

Jan Hendrik
17th June 2005, 08:10
Hallo Auke,
Je hebt een mooie site. Keep it up
Jan

kirkauld
7th November 2005, 08:14
I sailed with Esso as both third and second deck officer between 1972 and 1977. Anybody else out there who was with Esso at that time? Also do they have an association for us ex seagoing personnel; I haven't managed to find one and have lost contact with the people I sailed with.
Ships sailed on were Esso Cardiff/Esso Newcastle/Esso Yorkshire/Esso Hampshire/Esso Mercia/Esso Ulidia/Esso Anglia and Esso Warwickshire. Like to hear from anyone I may have sailed with

trotterdotpom
7th November 2005, 08:38
I sailed on Esso Mersey in early '70s - UK cruising at its best. Try Auk Visser's Esso Tanker site - lots of photos and info.

John T.

ruud
7th November 2005, 09:21
Ahoy John,

Here is a link to to Auke Visser's site:

http://visseraa.topcities.com/

Jeff Egan
7th November 2005, 12:27
I piloted 15 Esso tankers does this make me an Esso man.
Esso Brixham 3 times, Woolston 3 times, Penzance 6 times, Tenby 8 times, Hythe 3 times, Avon 2 times, Lyndhurst 4 times, Mersey 17 times, Clyde 5 times, Inverness 2 times, Fawley 14 times, Plymouth 1 time, Severn 11 times, Tyne 1 time, Milford Haven 6 times.

R58484956
7th November 2005, 14:08
Jeff plymouth and tyne obviously fancied another pilot. LOL.

John Rogers
7th November 2005, 14:24
I sailed on the Esso Saranac back in 1952,a little before your time,good company and a great ship and voyage.
John

Jeff Egan
7th November 2005, 15:27
you are probably right R5******* I'm not really very fanciable

janbonde
7th November 2005, 21:04
I was on the White River,Lucky Star they were Panamanian flagged but a lot of Esso men were on them,even in those days they wre good feeders and there was overtime galore for every-one,
Esso ran them as a T2 was supposed to run, even used to pass passenger ships at times

paul0510
8th November 2005, 12:45
..probably ran into each other in the past, Jeff. Was 2/O on the Woolston, Hythe, Penzance & Inverness mid-70s. Cut my coastal teeth on these little guys and was an eyeopener for a deep-sea man! There used to be some corner-cutting and I always remember one fine afternoon running down inside the Goodwins through the Gull Stream on a ebb-tide, going like the clappers. The Old Man was snoring below, and when I had Deal abaft the beam I had the most sudden urge for a crap. Being alone on the Bridge, I looked desperately around for an apparent, non-existant rosie as I had spied some fellow creeping round the South Foreland on my starboard bow, also cutting it fine. So with about 3 minutes to spare I dashed down two flights to the Officers' bog on the starboard side and with my head hanging out backwards of a convenient porthole I was (sweatingly) able to keep tabs on the situation ahead, 'enjoy' the surf crashing on to Kingsdown beach abeam and, albeit in a Limbo Dance position, still maintain good aim below! Nipping back up top I was 'relieved' to find the other coaster already on the port bow and a tricky course change towards a lee shore was avoidable.
The Steward gave me a odd look when I asked for a rosie with bin-liner. (*))

Jeff Egan
8th November 2005, 12:49
I wonder how many members I have been (Briefly) shipmates with in the past.

John Rogers
8th November 2005, 14:58
Well I have met one on the board,sailed with him back in 1951.
Without knowing the names of some of our members there could be more.
John

bobarr
8th November 2005, 22:31
I sailed in the 'Chemawa' (registered in Panama) in 1954/55, one of the last T2's owned by Esso. I remember we signed 2 sets of Articles--- one British and the other Panamamian. Anyone out there remember those excellent ships?
Bobarr

John Rogers
9th November 2005, 00:00
I remember them well, always wanted to sail on one but the shipping pool had other plans for me.
John

EXAB
18th February 2006, 20:38
Hi Auke what happened to the Chantilly,Missionary Ridge etc???

dnobmal
19th February 2006, 19:58
Hello Auke very good site you have i sailed with Esso in the early fifties on theirT2`s White River,Lucky Star under Panamanian flag.returned to the company in 69 was on the Esso Scotia in 69/70 with David Smith Master, he was a very likeable man to work alongside,last I saw him was in Sullom Voe on the Esso Dalriada I was also on the Portsmouth ,Warwickshire,Lincoln Lancashire ,Fawley,

dowling
19th February 2007, 17:27
graham dowling sailed as g.p. on a few of the glasgow greek fleet my old "man" also sailed long time with them as lecky.we actually sailed together on the vancouver forest.still at sea now working in the north sea.plenty photographs and memories. also sailed early days in the 70's with cayzer irvine on rotherwick castle,king james,rothesay castle.remember good and bad times any person associated with these ships please contact at dowling or e-mail me at ******** (Hippy)

e-mail address removed from public display for member's security. Contact by PM please if you can assist with the query. - Gulpers

R58484956
20th February 2007, 14:08
Greetings Bondy enjoy the site. Bon voyage.

Fairfield
20th February 2007, 14:26
Welcome Graham; ever come across Alan Eadie in your Esso days.

dowling
27th February 2007, 21:48
(Hippy) Welcome Graham; ever come across Alan Eadie in your Esso days.

sorry,not really good with names and have no recollction of anybody with esso.sailed on dalriada may to oct 1975,old man was k.ross.then onto hibernia as part of a paint crew in the engine room dec.75 to feb 76.finished on the demetia april to june 76 when a lot of modifications were going on with tank cleaning gear .sorry i cannot be of any help .(Hippy)

Fairfield
27th February 2007, 22:38
OK, thanks for that. I think you would have remembered Alan anyway!

clydebelle
10th March 2007, 23:24
The Esso Clyde or Petro Clyde as she was latterly known was scrapped in India in 1998/98 . The Humber i dont know about as she was not one of the ship in the UK fleet when i joined in 1990

aukevisser
29th April 2007, 11:19
Hello all,

For information about T2-tankers, see my new site called:
Auke Vissers Famous T - Tankers site.
Link is : http://t2tanker.piranho.de/
For the Chantilly direct link : http://t2tanker.piranho.com/id211.htm
For the Missionary Ridge I have not yet found any info.

Greetings,

Auke Visser.

12-4
29th April 2007, 19:58
April 29 - Happy Birthday AUKE and thanks for the memories

jim brindley
30th April 2007, 10:43
was on esso tanker beacon street she allso ithink was a german captured .at that time she was one of the bigist tankers afloat .had a blue with the mate said ta.ta in naples . old sinner jim

graykay2601
14th August 2007, 23:56
Hi John I joined my first ship the "Esso Lincoln" in 1973 and as it was on the Eastern seaboard/Venezuela run we were in port every 5 days.It was a really enjoyable 1st voyage.
I then joined the Esso Hampshire later that year and spent over a month in Malta drydock so again not a bad trip.
Then I joined the Esso Pembrokeshire at Augusta,Sicily and spent 5 months on board without stepping off her once due to marshall law in Malaysia.
That put me off tankers and I went on the pool after that.
You probably wouldnt have known me though as I was just an assistant operator (remember integrated crew ?)in the catering then down the pump room ha ha .Can't complain about the wages they paid though. Regards Graham K

andy dunn
27th January 2008, 12:54
hi john,
andy dunn here,i sailed with esso from 76 till 91 in the catering dept,mainly
deep sea. also in the catering was tom and ronnie two of my brothers. my dad
was on the deck as a-b,.only tom still going to sea now,
have some great memories of my time with esso,like the horse racing nights on the way up to the gulf some canny money crossed hands those nights,
also the dry dock in singapore,think i did five,getting back to the ship at five in the morning to start work at six ,shattered,but recovered by the following night to go ashore again.
some great guys,some i remember at the moment, brian randel,davy dodsworth,ian heywood,davy meads,could go on for ever,
been ashore since 91 but the 17 years at sea were the best times.
bye for now andy dunn.

andy dunn
4th February 2008, 14:01
hi bondie,
just to correct the name,k ross ,was,nt the old man ,he was the purser,sailed with him a couple of times ,while steward.used to have us stripping the polish off the allyways in bare feet,said it would do our feet the world of good,must admit did no halm,
andy dunn

jonjo77
25th February 2008, 17:43
I sailed with Esso as both third and second deck officer between 1972 and 1977. Anybody else out there who was with Esso at that time? Also do they have an association for us ex seagoing personnel; I haven't managed to find one and have lost contact with the people I sailed with.
Ships sailed on were Esso Cardiff/Esso Newcastle/Esso Yorkshire/Esso Hampshire/Esso Mercia/Esso Ulidia/Esso Anglia and Esso Warwickshire. Like to hear from anyone I may have sailed with

hi im john jack able seaman sailed on esso ships at that time

frankshipsea
9th March 2008, 14:24
hi i sailed on the esso aalborg in 1967 even got stuck in the suez in the 6 day war on her.
we were the last ship out of the canal before it closed.
A great tanker great crew great life.

idadoherty
17th March 2008, 00:15

Isailed on the anglia mercia & lancashire 1972 / 1975 had a great time on them all Mal doherty membership c/o ida doherty

idadoherty
17th March 2008, 00:22
I sailed on the Anglia mercia& lancashire 1972--- 1975 as A/B enjoyed all three but went back coasting again Yes you can join the Royal Navy assoc
or if there is a branch of the Merchant navy assco near your area

Malcolm doherty memship c/o idadoherty

idadoherty
13th April 2008, 20:39
HI I,m mal was on the esso anglia 1972 running gulf r/dam s/pore on to esso mercia esso lancanshire great ships good crew &grub do you have any photos on esso anglias deck accom bridge

harvey19a
15th April 2008, 08:40
Hi Andy,

Sure we sailed together - was in Esso from 77 to 94...........

Ken Ross - remember him well. He was Purser on the Scotia. Woke up one morning with a throbbing gum, and during breakfast asked Ken if he had some bicarb for my ulcer. He appeared in the wheelhouse an hour later with the Old Man (Bugsy Boler) who was contemplating organising a medi-vac....... Ken's life was misery for days when the O/M discovered the truth!!!! Both great guys though.

Harvey

joe ninty
16th June 2008, 02:34
Hi John I sailed on the Warwickshire (deck) in 64 and again in 68. Good ship good times

Trevor George
18th June 2008, 13:59
Hi Andy,
I remember your name from the Mariner magazine, was you on the Demetia in 1980?, also you mentioned Brain Randel, was he a big cook from Scotland? I think I sailed with him on the Tynne. Davey Meads name sounds familier was he a steward?

Regards
Trevor George (Diesel)

mina_search
21st August 2008, 13:12
hello I have been looking for my friend Ed Rana who was a liason officer of Esso Asia / Esso Int'l NY ( 1977-1978 ) for quite awhile....he might be able to help me find a lady I have been looking for named Miss Claire/Clarita Quijano who lived at his parents apartment in Manila Philippines in 1977-78. pla reply by PM or email. God bless and I pray one of you may know his whereabouts

Cutsplice
21st August 2008, 16:10
John, I do know that the coastal mob of ex Esso guys have a bi-annual get together, I think the next one is in 2009. I do not know if the deepsea guys have one I expect they do, will make some enquiries and see if I can help.
The two guys I know were both deepsea and coastal with Esso, they should know hopefully.

Ron Hamilton
15th September 2008, 15:40
I was S.O.S on the D.L.Harper in '49, & Esso Birmingham in '53, Great crews & grub , best company I ever sailed in ,which gave me a bias in later years to always go to Esso service Stns for my petrol ! Ron

trucker
10th October 2008, 21:43
some names seem familiar on the esso thread.sailed with john jack,andy dunn,also with jimmy george ,could he be trevor,s brother.

trucker
11th October 2008, 20:27
(Jester) any one know if the ex-crew of the esso fife or the esso aberdeen or scaberdeen as it was known by some,have regular reunions.

Ahab
11th October 2008, 21:17
Good evening, I served my time in Esso from 74 till 87. Your name seems familiar but can't place your face. I got 2nd mates in 78 but was on the Ulidia with Alan Washbourne in 77 and Mercia after that. I did a short stint on the Clyde just prior to going up for my ticket.
Andy

Jackaroo
14th December 2008, 16:48
Welcome Graham; ever come across Alan Eadie in your Esso days.

I came across this site by accedent and its braught back some memories, i was with Esso for 23 years 10 of them on the Scotia as pumpman. Ian Smith was master of the Scotia when she came out,one of the best masters i ever came across. Bugsy Bowler was yoyo mate master he was ok, well sort of. I think he must have bought his ticket off someone in Panama, only kidding Bugsy if your watching, but you sure did scare the **** out me a few times as mate. You asked about an Alan Eadie the only Eadie i came across was Chief Officer on the Northumbria, and yes you wouldnt forget him he was a workaholic he told me that he used to drive taxis in Glasgow, well there was many a late night when i wished he had never given it up. Sorry if ive butted in where i shouldnt have put it down to being Welsh.
Jim Butland

trucker
19th December 2008, 14:41
I came across this site by accedent and its braught back some memories, i was with Esso for 23 years 10 of them on the Scotia as pumpman. Ian Smith was master of the Scotia when she came out,one of the best masters i ever came across. Bugsy Bowler was yoyo mate master he was ok, well sort of. I think he must have bought his ticket off someone in Panama, only kidding Bugsy if your watching, but you sure did scare the **** out me a few times as mate. You asked about an Alan Eadie the only Eadie i came across was Chief Officer on the Northumbria, and yes you wouldnt forget him he was a workaholic he told me that he used to drive taxis in Glasgow, well there was many a late night when i wished he had never given it up. Sorry if ive butted in where i shouldnt have put it down to being Welsh.
Jim Butland

jim,remember the matco avon.

rockinbilly
14th February 2009, 20:15
All the Esso fleet were changed to Petro eventually they got rid of the ships, I was made redundant in 1999 after 20 year with them,took the Ulidia to scrap in taiwan, closly followed by the Hibernia, they stuck all the lads that were for the chop on the Petro Tyne in Le Havre, then scrapped the ship and the crew.
I never heard much about the ships that were left Aberdeen/Fife etc but I guess they soon went as well,
I am still in contact with a few "ex Shipmates"(Smoke)

stephenhiggins
10th April 2009, 17:15
HI ALL
My name is stephen higgins iwas with esso for 13 years. i sailed with andy dunn a coupel of times is there any out there

K urgess
10th April 2009, 18:44
Welcome aboard, Stephen.
Plenty of Esso lads around so someone may remember your name.
Enjoy the trip.

dnobmal
10th April 2009, 19:11
Hello Jackaroo are you the pumpman called Jim who was with Davey Girvan the bosun,as you said Ian Smith was a great Master to sail with also remember Boler,sorry to say Ian Smith passed away a while ago.The last time I saw him was in the eighties in Sullom Voe he was on one of the D,s if I remember rightly bottles used to go over the side into the tug when we went to Milford for part discharge before going round the coast to Fawley.Better than going to the super-mart when you are on leave.reading your profile I am sure you said that as a young man you did a stint as a fireman for BR Maybe I am wrong old age does not help only four bells

bondy
27th May 2009, 19:01
HI ALL
My name is stephen higgins iwas with esso for 13 years. i sailed with andy dunn a coupel of times is there any out there

(Smoke) Hi steve, i too sailed with ANDY DUNN, i was on the ESSO DEMITA, ESSO CLYDE, ESSO HUMBER, ESSO HIBERNIA, ESSO SCOTIA, ESSO CAMBRIA.
MY NAME IS DAVE BOND

dnobmal
27th May 2009, 20:30
There was a Bond who was with Esso ,was on the US coast in the Esso Portsmouth during the late sixties early seventies he was a West Country man but lived in the N E

guinnessmick
28th May 2009, 14:27
i only did one short trip with Esso on the Esso Austria but i have not been able to find any photographs of her or any reference to her anywhere

bisonphil
28th May 2009, 14:51
Hi Guinnessmick,
Found this about Esso Austria on Auke Vissers site,click on the link below.Its a very good website about Esso Tankers so have a look around it.
Regards Phil.

http://www.aukevisser.nl/inter/id246.htm

R396040
28th May 2009, 15:06
Esso Syracuse a T3 class under Panamanian flag. Dock Street Pool sent me to join her in 1950 ,didnt know about the flag till we joined her and signed two sets of artcles UK and Panamanian. The old man used this to his advantage several times during the nine month voyage. He was named Lloyd Jones. Wide ranging trip West Indies,Venzuela Argentina,Persian Gulf,Japan etc and paid off in Le Havre I recall. Think I had only eight runs ashore in the nine months,no crew bar in those days and very limited beer issue. Accommodation spacious but four to a cabin, food OK.
Those were the days eh ?
Stuart H

guinnessmick
1st June 2009, 09:12
ty for that info phil some great photos

seandixon
9th August 2009, 21:04
When did you sail on the Esso Cambria?

Kenb
16th August 2009, 12:25
hi john,
andy dunn here,i sailed with esso from 76 till 91 in the catering dept,mainly
deep sea. also in the catering was tom and ronnie two of my brothers. my dad
was on the deck as a-b,.only tom still going to sea now,
have some great memories of my time with esso,like the horse racing nights on the way up to the gulf some canny money crossed hands those nights,
also the dry dock in singapore,think i did five,getting back to the ship at five in the morning to start work at six ,shattered,but recovered by the following night to go ashore again.
some great guys,some i remember at the moment, brian randel,davy dodsworth,ian heywood,davy meads,could go on for ever,
been ashore since 91 but the 17 years at sea were the best times.
bye for now andy dunn.

anybody remember Ken bullock sailed with esso for many years started of as steward and finished of as Purser/catering Officer

Kenb
16th August 2009, 12:28
remember Alan Washbourne very well and a lot of pleasant memories of the times

Kenb
16th August 2009, 18:03
Hi Andy,
I remember your name from the Mariner magazine, was you on the Demetia in 1980?, also you mentioned Brain Randel, was he a big cook from Scotland? I think I sailed with him on the Tynne. Davey Meads name sounds familier was he a steward?

Regards
Trevor George (Diesel)
Davey Meads was a cook I was cook when hw was second cook and then he was cook with me at least once when I was Catering Officer Ken Bullock

ROB MOLLOY
23rd August 2009, 13:38
Hi, i also found this site by accident while looking for Matco Clyde stuff. I was with esso for eighteen years 79-97 i remember stevie higgins and rockinbilly , would be good to see who else is about

roythwa
23rd August 2009, 17:08
Auke Visser.
Hi thanks for the help,l found my esso oxford I have posted a thread under that name

Roy

bill connolly
25th August 2009, 02:05
The list of ship that I sailed on.
Started out as Third Mate and was Master on some of the last ones in the list.
Date joined":"Ship"
4 March 1961:"ESSO BIRMINGHAM"
23 August 1961:"ESSSO CHELSEA"
22 August 1962:"ESSO WINCHESTER"
3 May 1963:"ESSO CARDIFF"
27 October 1963:"ESSO AUSTRIA"
5. Dec. 1963:"ESSO DURHAM"
17 July 1964:"ESSO SALISBURY"
5 February 1965:"ESSO YORKSHIRE"
27 August 1965:"ESSO WARWICKSHIRE"
15 October 1965:"ESSO CHELSEA"
3 March 1966:"ESSO GLASGOW"
2 August 1969:"ESSO PURFLEET"
1 November 1969:"ESSO PURFLEET"
23 March 1970:"ESSO LINCOLN"
22 August 1970:"ESSO LINCOLN"
15 December 1970:"ESSO SALISBURY"
8 February 1971:"ESSO LINCOLN"
7 June 1971:"ESSO NORTHUMBRIA"
10 November 1971:"ESSO MILFORDHAVEN"
20 April 1972:"ESSO YORK"
14 September 1972:"ESSO PURFLEET"
28 October 1972:"ESSO LINCOLN"
15 April 1973:"ESSO LANCASHIRE"
17 September 1973:"ESSO MILFORDHAVEN"
28 January 1974:"ESSO NORTHUMBRIA"
17 May 1974:"ESSO MILFORDHAVEN"
1 October 1974:"ESSO SERVEN"
20 January 1975:"ESSO MILFORDHAVEN"
4 June 1975:"ESSO MILFORDHAVEN"
12 November 1975:"ESSO CLYDE"
6 December 1975:"ESSO PURFLEET"
14 March 1976:"ESSO PURFLEET"

Bill Connolly

sidsal
25th August 2009, 20:47
Bill: Blimey what a lot of ships you sailed on. Was the Cardiff a T2.? I was 2nd MAte of Esso Cardiff just after the war.

stan mayes
25th August 2009, 22:20
Good evening Sid,
As you know -you were in Esso Cardiff a T2 -built as Halls of Montezuma.
She was with Esso until 1955.Then a new Esso Cardiff was built in 1963
Regards
Stan

price
26th August 2009, 09:01
Hello Bill; I sailed on three of your old ships but in the 1950s, the Glasgow, with Capt. Davies, the Chelsea, with Capt. Shields and the Winchester with Capt. Belden.
Bruce.

bill connolly
26th August 2009, 09:16
Stan,
No it was the new 44,000 ton tanker, built in Amsterdam 1963.
I joined her in the yard and sailed on her maiden voyage.
Whitin a few days a fault developed on the main turbine, and we had to put into Malta for repairs.
We completed two voyages then returned to Amsterdam for a new HP turbine.
We set off again and ended up in Malta for a second time with the same trouble.

Bill

Tony Crompton
26th August 2009, 09:51
Stan,
Whitin a few days a fault developed on the main turbine, and we had to put into Malta for repairs.

Bill

In 1963 I was second mate on "Esso Lincoln" sister ship to "Esso Cardiff", also built in Amsterdam. We spent a few weeks "Laid up" in Le Havre also with turbine problems which I believe ( not being an engineer) involved sending the main rotor back to Amsterdam for repair.

Capt Beldon was Master and he was very good company to go ashore with for "Rough red wine and stinky French cheese".

I also sailed with Capt. Shields on "Esso Guildford". Spent a lot of time telling anyone who would listen that all he wanted was to be back on his Beloved Dingbats or Lakers as he called them

Tony

Billieboy
26th August 2009, 10:17
Good evening Sid,
As you know -you were in Esso Cardiff a T2 -built as Halls of Montezuma.
She was with Esso until 1955.Then a new Esso Cardiff was built in 1963
Regards
Stan

Having been born in Cardiff, this ship always interested me. At Cockburns Nederland in '77-8 I was asked to quote for the delivery of a new manoeuvring valve chest for this vessel, there was apparently a crack or casting fault in the old original valve chest. I sent off a quote which was extremely high due to various pattern and moulding costs. Then I sent off a comprehensive heat treatment and welding schedule for the repair after the fault had been ground out. I also mentioned that as Esso were proposing to scrap another vessel of the same class, that they would probably find it cheaper to remove the valve chest from that ship and fit it in `Cardiff`. I cannot remember hearing anything back from New York. (Scribe)

sidsal
26th August 2009, 17:55
Stan.
Gotcha. I had forgotten she had another name previously !
Don't recognise any of the names mentioned in the various messages though. I suppose they were all retired that I knew !

Silver5
26th October 2009, 23:34
Hello to all of you,

I was wondering, there are here many people who have sailed on the Esso Cardiff. My father was an ingeneer in 1963 on the Esso Cardiff when it was in Amsterdam. His name is Bob Bailey, and maybe one of you can remember him? He came from Falmouth.

andy dunn
15th November 2009, 18:39
(Smoke) Hi steve, i too sailed with ANDY DUNN, i was on the ESSO DEMITA, ESSO CLYDE, ESSO HUMBER, ESSO HIBERNIA, ESSO SCOTIA, ESSO CAMBRIA.
MY NAME IS DAVE BOND

hi dave how you doing ,sorry its taken so long to get back to you,thing is dont check the site out very much, any way hope your doing well. ido remember you, think you were on the demitia when doing the dry dock at singapore had a great time there,remember brian randell,davy dodsworth,ian haywood,how we survived seen us get back to the ship 5 in the morning to start work for 6,then go out again to gerong after lunch fallen asleep on the bus on the way,.any way,davy must go now,andy dunn

andy dunn
6th December 2009, 12:29
hi any one remember dougie rouse from the esso cardiff also known as the preacher,said he did,nt drink,but used to love the wine on sunday nights,or davy,dont remember surname known as silence, boson was,nt much of a talker mainly deep sea.used to set up the projecter to start the film.s sunday nights,while me and the rest of the catering staff would be scrambling about trying to get showered and changed after finishing off the wine
bye
andy dunn

Mike R757550
21st December 2009, 19:36
(Thumb) Hi Bill I think i sailed with you on Esso Glasgow with Vic Donavann as
Capt, The reason i remember is that,at the time i had bad news regarding my
mother, and Vic the gentelman he was, got the agent aboard , and as i come from the Isle of Barra and the plane landing on the beach, could not understand how the tide had to be out. This was in Antwerp,and the comms
were not the greatest, He kept telling the agent we are not sending him by
boat. You might remember an uncle of mine who was Bosun
Michael Mackinnon who was with ESSO for a long time.

Michael Maclean

Cutsplice
21st December 2009, 21:56
Dougie Rouse, that name rings a bell with me, in the early sixties in Callao Peru ther was a guy an ex AB at the time. He was domicilled in Peru for 2yrs doing self imposed missionary work as pennance for a previous experience he had off the Peruvian coast.
When ones vessel berthed there was Dougie with religous pamplets by the score, he would come onboard and lecture the crew of the perils of visiting the rag bars, instead he would offer a religous service of some sort to ensure their safe passage to the next world.
Lots of pamplets would be distributed plus some books which he would collect prior to the vessel sailing and quiz all in sundry if they had read this and that verse.
If I recall correctly he was from the Plymouth area his name was Dougie, wondering if it was the same Dougie that sailed with Esso later after his stint in Peru. I was told some years ago that he was in Esso and he suggested while on the Esso Cardiff that a pulpit should be built in the cinema, so he could preach each Sunday. Apparently that vessel had a dedicated cinema, but the Old Man was not impressed with his idea so it never got off the deck.
Hopefully some ex Esso SN members ma be able to verify if it was the same Dougie that I knew from Peru.

bill connolly
2nd January 2010, 09:55
Is there any members around who remember the explosion on the Esso Glasgow on the 3rd January 1967.

Bill

andy dunn
25th January 2010, 19:24
MY NAME IS DAVE BOND

hi dave looking through photos the other day came upon one with you and brian myles,probably about 25 years ago ,put it on this site, along with a few other photos how time changes us,
saw brian about a year ago was talking about going over to france to live,
got a load more photos try and get a few more on some time, there mainly of the ships crew,brings back good memories dave.
bye for now ,andy

AJC
11th October 2010, 13:25
Hello to all of you,

I was wondering, there are here many people who have sailed on the Esso Cardiff. My father was an ingeneer in 1963 on the Esso Cardiff when it was in Amsterdam. His name is Bob Bailey, and maybe one of you can remember him? He came from Falmouth.

Hi Silver5,
The Cardiff was my first ship in Esso, but I sailed with your Dad on the "Esso Warwickshire" great bloke, in 1970, I was a cadet, happy days, a great ship.

AJC
11th October 2010, 18:28
The list of ship that I sailed on.

Bill Connolly

Hi Bill,
Are you the Bill Connolly that stayed in High Valleyfield?
Think myself and my dad sailed with you Jim Chapman.. Lecky?
Regards
Alex Chapman (3rd Eng. Milford, Fawley, Clyde, Mersey and Severn)

roythwa
16th October 2010, 12:47
There is a separate page for the Esso Durham I was sparky on the Oxford when she blew her sides out Full details there do you know who was the Junior Sparks at that time?

Roy

Mikeirwin
13th November 2010, 23:00
Hi Silver5,
The Cardiff was my first ship in Esso, but I sailed with your Dad on the "Esso Warwickshire" great bloke, in 1970, I was a cadet, happy days, a great ship.

Hi Alex,

How you doing, was it 1970 when we drydocked the 'Warwickshire' in Bremerhaven - Happy days indeed.

Rgds,

Mike Irwin.

Silver5
21st November 2010, 19:35
Hi everyone,

I would like to know when exactly you sailed on the Esso Cardiff? I am looking for crew members that can tell me a little bit more about my father chief engineer Bob Bailey from Falmouth. He sailed on the Esso Cardiff when the ship was in Amsterdam. I know that he might not be alive anymore but i still have brothers and a sister that don't know I excist (I think) and maybe they would like to know me to?

Silver5
22nd November 2010, 14:03
Hi Silver5,

Hi Alex,

Have you been in Amsterdam 1962 also? because that is the time that the ship was repaired in the dock in amsterdam, and also how my father bob bailey got to knew my mother. I am wondering how many children he had (i know of one sister and a brother) but i can't find anything on the internet (it is loaded with baileys ;-) ) and I don't know even if they are aware of my excistance. Do you know if my father is still alive? (I don't think so but you never know)

With regards,
sylvia

Dan.n
24th November 2010, 00:41
I was on deck on the Esso Cardiff 3rd May 1963 till 19th April 1964
regards
Dan

Silver5
24th November 2010, 13:26
Dear mr. Dan,

Than you have been on the same time on the Esso Cardiff as my father did. I was born november 1963, and the months before my father went back to (i believe) england with the esso cardiff. My mother worked for a café/restaurant named the blue bell, and befor that in the Centra Bar. She did this because she had to earn a living for her children (I have a brother and sister here in holland) and working in the café/restaurants earned the most to support here children and she was free during the day so she could spend time with us.

I know that a certain Fred was steward, and they came always with a few members to the bar my mother worked. They have been in Amsterdam almost a year I believe. (in the dock for repairs) I hope you can tell me more.

With regards,

Sylvia

tollers
24th January 2011, 21:54
I sailed on the Esso Saranac back in 1952,a little before your time,good company and a great ship and voyage.
John

My late father in law sailed on the Esso Saranac in 1947, they had a troublesome time on the trip. 3 men died of injuries in an engine room explosion.

Tollers

brimar
24th January 2011, 23:54
Was on the 'Woolston' in 1974 . . Mostly Bunkering duties Southampton then to & fro Poole Power station (not to much shut eye on this work) with the occasional trip to Aberdeen,Ipswich,Plymouth & Milford.

I think the old man was called Hunt.
Cheers
Brian Knowles

Silver5
29th January 2011, 16:02
Isailed on the anglia mercia & lancashire 1972 / 1975 had a great time on them all Mal doherty membership c/o ida doherty

My father sailed on the Esso Cardiff but I am afraid that was before your time, he sailed as chief engineer on the Esso Cardiff until it got out of dry dock in Amsterdam and than went to Liberia. I don't know if you might know anything about the time 1960-1965?

Silver5
29th January 2011, 16:03
[QUOTE=Originally Posted by kirkauld
[/QUOTE]

My father sailed on the Esso Cardiff but I am afraid that was before your time, he sailed as chief engineer on the Esso Cardiff until it got out of dry dock in Amsterdam and than went to Liberia. I don't know if you might know anything about the time 1960-1965?

Silver5
29th January 2011, 16:29
Stan,

Bill

Dear MR. Bill,

My mother remembers you from coming to the Centra Bar in Amsterdam. Most members of the Esso Cardiff came there and that is also how she met my father Bob (born Robert A.) Bailey, chief engineer. I now know that he isn't alive anymore for about 12 years now, and I have found one of his children named Timothy (he had three children Timothy, Jenny and Robert) At the time he met my mother his marriage was over and he was waiting for the divorce papers, only my mother heard one day that his daughter had multiple sclerosis, and she send him back as she used to say "with the never come back line". I am born the 4th of november 1963, and I know the ship went to liberia? The contact with Timothy was first very enthousiastic, he was happy to hear from me, but had to discuss it with his older brother and sister. The next day he sounded depressed and I had to wait for e-mail but didn't get one (now two weeks ago) I think his brother and sister are against me and don't wan't to meet me?

I have seen my father once when I was 18 years old and wanted to know ho much risk there was for my children to get MS or another disease. The chance was very great because the children of his brother (don't know their names) had seizures and that made me discide not to have children because there was a chance of 75% that my children would be sick, and that I wouldn't do to them. So now you know why I would like to see my half siblings because according to my mother I look a lot like him, my caracter is the same according to her, and I am wondering how my siblings look like and so on. I only have good intensions because maybe I know something to help my nephews if they still have seizures (I have had them most of my life) I would like to help them if given the oppertunity.

Gulpers
30th January 2011, 10:28
Two identically titled threads merged for ease of reference. (Thumb)

EXAB
12th September 2011, 16:03
I was on the White River,Lucky Star they were Panamanian flagged but a lot of Esso men were on them,even in those days they wre good feeders and there was overtime galore for every-one,
Esso ran them as a T2 was supposed to run, even used to pass passenger ships at times

Two others as well the CHANTILLY AND THE MISSIONARY RIDGE, I believe the latter was converted to a bulk carrier But I like them better than the Esso Cardiff.Better food and as you said oodles of overtime.

Bigmo
12th September 2011, 18:38
I sailed on an ex Esso tanker, "Esso Tokyo," through the 90's, I've never seen her mentioned on the Esso Tanker site! GRT.200598. NRT.157877.

callpor
15th September 2011, 15:33
I sailed on an ex Esso tanker, "Esso Tokyo," through the 90's, I've never seen her mentioned on the Esso Tanker site! GRT.200598. NRT.157877.

Hi Bigmo, Don't think the SS Esso Tokyo 399800 DWT built 1976 has been mentioned in these threads. Esso Tokyo was Owned by Esso Tankers Inc and Registered in Liberia. She was operated by Exxon Company International based in Florham Park, New Jersey. Being an ex Esso seafarer I think I am correct in stating that she was laid up at Aalesund, Norway in the early 1980's (as were many other Esso and Oil Major U/VLCC's) and about 1985-6 was re-commissioned as an FSO off Yemen. I'm sure that other members will have details of what became of her after that. Chris

Bigmo
15th September 2011, 15:52
Thanks Callpor for your info. When I sailed on her she was the "Red Seagull" registered in Gibraltar and owned by SOSEMA Switzerland. She continued trading as such until scrapped early 2000's. A fine beautiful handling vessel!

rog37
22nd September 2011, 17:53
Does Any One Know What Happened To Any Of These Tankers I Sailed On. Esso Demita,esso Cambra,esso Cardiff,esso Scotia,esso Clyde,esso Humber. (eek)

The demetia was a total constructive loss when the engine room caught fire

Dickyboy
22nd September 2011, 19:18
Going off tangent a bit, but does anyone know which Esso tanker had the Tiger painted across fore end of the accommodation? It would have been in the 70s, and I assume she was British because it was the same tiger depicted as the one in the "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" adverts were running in the UK.
I saw her several times, but never got close enough to read her name.
Cheers!
Dickyboy :)

rodney willett
5th October 2011, 20:34
The demetia was a total constructive loss when the engine room caught fire Sailed on her a couple of times last trip I paid off in Malta when she was bound for the Gulf and I believe got hit by a missile, Sorry to here of her sad end.

pat lyons
13th October 2011, 22:23
Hi Bill I joined the Austria as EDH on 09/10/1963 and was on her till 22/04/1964. Do you remember Paddy Lyons from Dublin??The list of ship that I sailed on.

Bill Connolly

pat lyons
13th October 2011, 22:30
[QUOT Hi Bill just spotted the Warwickshire which I was on from 29/09/1965 to 14/12/1965. Our paths must have crossed surely.E=pat lyons;544219]Hi Bill I joined the Austria as EDH on 09/10/1963 and was on her till 22/04/1964. Do you remember Paddy Lyons from Dublin??[/QUOTE]

callpor
14th October 2011, 16:44
Going off tangent a bit, but does anyone know which Esso tanker had the Tiger painted across fore end of the accommodation? It would have been in the 70s, and I assume she was British because it was the same tiger depicted as the one in the "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" adverts were running in the UK.
I saw her several times, but never got close enough to read her name.
Cheers!
Dickyboy :)
Rather thought that Bill Connelly would know. Somewhere in the back of my mind I had a vision of it being Esso Lincoln, and he sailed on her a few times. I may be very wrong and it could be one of the ETI operated ships. Cheers!

Dickyboy
14th October 2011, 16:53
Rather thought that Bill Connelly would know. Somewhere in the back of my mind I had a vision of it being Esso Lincoln, and he sailed on her a few times. I may be very wrong and it could be one of the ETI operated ships. Cheers!
Thanks for your reply Callpor, I often wondered if any crew ever had the unenviable job of painting it. :o

bill connolly
16th October 2011, 19:49
Dickyboy

I wasn't the Esso Lincoln.
Bill Connolly

wavedweller
18th November 2011, 16:15
To Jeff Egan
I sailed on the Canterbury, Winchester, Cheyenne, Durham, Southampton, Liverpool, Manchester,Guildford, Chelsea Preston and Windsor. The only names I can remember; Alan Andrews, (bosun), Mr. Petrie, (mate) Mr. Bater, (captain), Mr. Elliot, ( mate, then master, he finished his time as berthing master at Milford and lived not far from me). I was with Esso from 1957-1962, as E.D.H.
Perhaps we met
Colin.

price
21st November 2011, 17:00
Hi Colin; I sailed on some of your ships during the same period, Windsor 1958, Cpts. Drummond, Cole and Nicholson, Chelsea 1958/59, Capt. Shields. Winchester, 1959 Capt. Beldon. and the Cheyenne , 1959 with Capts. Wharby and McDonald. I sailed with Capt. Petrie on the Wandsworth. I too live in the Milford Haven Area. Bruce.

wavedweller
22nd November 2011, 16:06
Hi Bruce, 'fraid the only names I can recall are} Mr. Petrie who was mate on the Winchester, and Mr. Elliot who was mate on the Canterbury and then Cap'n. on the Windsor. Perhaps if I had a lay down for an hour I may remember some more!
If you are from the Milford area then you probably know where I rest my head at night--Thornton, just by the Chapel.
(hope I'm in the right thread this time, got a bollicking last week)!!

Great to meet you, stay in touch.
Colin

price
22nd November 2011, 19:25
Hi Colin; It looks as if I was on the Cheyenne just after you, I was an AB, the bosun was Tommy Altons, one of the ABs was Albert Snooks and another that I remember was McMillan whom I believe died in an accident on one of the River Class ships. Yes, she was a very happy ship when I was there, a good crew all round. A friend and ex colleague, Don Phillips lives in Thornton, I havent seen him for possibly a year or more but we still exchange Christmas Cards.
My permanant address is in Manorbier but I spend most of my time in Croesgoch these days. I have many close friends in Milford Haven.
Yes keep in touch. Bruce.

George Marshall
24th October 2012, 10:17
HI Andy ; - George Marshall, [ Fireman ] ESSO DALRIADA, Singapore dry dock 1980, where is Brian Rendall / Kenny Ross / Keith Preston Steward. these days.
look forward to hearing from you... I eventually packed up the sea in 2005.
now working full time on the rigs, offshore Aberdeen, bye for now, gEORGE.

Nordicstar
6th February 2013, 04:07
I am looking for help regarding Mr.Colin James Anderson from Cardiff.
In 1979 he sailed the Esso Scotia,...and was awarded same year with Lloyds bronze medal for heroic saving a shipwrecked sailor in the Arabic Sea. ( Indian Sea? )

Did anyone of you sail with Mr. Anderson ?

He also came to Malaysia sometime betw. 1974-1981,..don't know if that was with Esso Scotia or another tanker.
What ports did Esso Tankers at that time arrive on in Malaysia ?

Grateful if someone can help me solve these questions.
Thanks

Best regards
Elisabeth

arthurryan
6th February 2013, 13:52

Hi John,
I was with Esso from 1969 to 1974.
Sailed on the following ships: Esso Westminster, Esso Oxford, Esso Scotia, Esso Caledonia, Esso Mercia, Esso Ulidia, Esso Northumbria and Esso Yorkshire. Maybe we sailed togerher but your name does not ring a bell, I was 2nd. Mate and Ch. Mate with Esso.

Thegrowler
4th June 2013, 21:19
(Hippy)

sorry,not really good with names and have no recollction of anybody with esso.sailed on dalriada may to oct 1975,old man was k.ross.then onto hibernia as part of a paint crew in the engine room dec.75 to feb 76.finished on the demetia april to june 76 when a lot of modifications were going on with tank cleaning gear .sorry i cannot be of any help .(Hippy)

Hiya Dowling, you may have a bad memory, but you must know these two guys, Mick the Dip. and Johnny Mone (CPO fires ) everyone who
worked with Esso in the 70s must have heard of these two great guys.
Dave Fowler

Martin Shubert
18th July 2013, 15:48
Hi Bill,
Are you the Bill Connolly that stayed in High Valleyfield?
Think myself and my dad sailed with you Jim Chapman.. Lecky?
Regards
Alex Chapman (3rd Eng. Milford, Fawley, Clyde, Mersey and Severn)

I do believe I have sailed with you and your old man at some time? Your father, Jim, his favourite saying while I was with him was, "Sorry can't help, hands are tied". We all started saying that. lol

mr g elliott
22nd July 2013, 13:44
I sailed on esso Gothenburg Portsmouth Yorkshire Pembrokeshire Hampshire York Salisbury oxford cambridgeand Cardiff the all aft job she was one of the first to have abulbous bow cheers happy days

mr g elliott
29th July 2013, 13:11
In 1963 I was second mate on "Esso Lincoln" sister ship to "Esso Cardiff", also built in Amsterdam. We spent a few weeks "Laid up" in Le Havre also with turbine problems which I believe ( not being an engineer) involved sending the main rotor back to Amsterdam for repair.

Capt Beldon was Master and he was very good company to go ashore with for "Rough red wine and stinky French cheese".

I also sailed with Capt. Shields on "Esso Guildford". Spent a lot of time telling anyone who would listen that all he wanted was to be back on his Beloved Dingbats or Lakers as he called them

TonyI sailed on the Guildford in the seventies the captain was a gent I cant remember his name I was a/s my name is Gordon Elliott r789047

bill connolly
29th October 2013, 17:49
I came across these in an old file.
See if you were with any of these people in April 1968.
Bill

David Beldon
7th December 2013, 02:32

Tony

Hi there I am Capt Beldon's son. Interested in any stories from those who served with him? I was 10 when in Sept 73 when he had to take sick leave from the Lincoln, alas never to return, dying in Nov. of that year.

I remember being taken aboard the Lincoln in Bantry Bay possibly 66/67 with mumps and a local doctor having to be called. We lived in the North of Ireland at the time and had driven down to Cork as she was discharging. Someone put me on a bike and cycled me down the length of the deck, carrying me up to the Capt's cabin.

Lincoln had a bad fire 71/72 ? in the Channel loaded with naptha...Some disturbed seaman in the linen locker with drink and cigarettes. HMS Leander stood off as she burned...touch and go for a few hours. Anyone on board remember that?

Anyway grateful for any stories as I am writing up his years in 39-46 in the Atlantic.

Thanks

Gulpers
7th December 2013, 02:39
David,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

ESSOMARY
15th January 2014, 13:27
I`m hoping someone on here can help..I`m looking for a Michael(Mick) Jordan born approx. 1946 from the London area who was serving on TT Esso York in 1967/8....how can I get a list of people who were on the same tanker? Thanks

stewarthird
9th April 2014, 13:37
Does anybody know what happened to Tannoy Tyrol , John Brown , Pete Bergmann all Bosuns with Esso ?
All larger than life Characters .....

Anthony May
16th May 2014, 05:20
My father, Jack May, was an engineer on a number of Esso tankers in the 1950s, including the Fawley, Oxford and Canterbury - he was appointed chief engineer on the Oxford a few days short of his 29th birthday, in 1954. He went on to manage a couple of fleets, including the Esso coastal fleet, in the UK. Some years ago he wrote his autobiography, which is a great read, but he is now 88 and while his sense of humour and the twinkle in his eye remain intact, his memory is not the best, and he can't fill in a few gaps which need filling in. I am editing the book, more for the family history than for any thoughts of publishing it, and I would appreciate hearing from anyone who worked with him, any stories you have to tell, what you remember of him, any photographs, any names, anything - he didn't include many names in the book at all, and the only names I know are two friends from the office, Frank Soutar and Jack Bicknell (who rose to greater things, but who sadly passed away in Victoria, Australia two or three years ago. I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

john.lankester
5th June 2014, 05:53
I sailed as a "mess boy" aboard Esso Amsterdam in 1946. It was phased out of wartime service and sailed empty from Baltimore to Aruba where it was filled and sailed on to Hook van Holland. My uncle, Harold Sutherland, was the Captain. I escaped the war with my parents when we left Liverpool in June 1940 aboard the Duchess of Richmond to Canada and USA. All my rellies however stayed in Holland for the entire war. The trip aboard the Esso was my first chance to reunite with them. As a 12 year old I had little understanding of the hell they had endured John. Lankester

ChasH
11th July 2014, 01:31

hi bondy was on the esso Austria in 65 and esso Bristol in 61 i think the Bristol was what they called 36 class they also had 26 class sorry cant help with others all the best chasH

frankshipsea
3rd December 2014, 17:50
hi i sailed on the esso aalborg in the 1960's she was a great ship and did some good trips on her . use to love swimming in her pool in a bit of a swell just like swimming in the sea.
such a great ship.