BAUDOUIN Engines of the 40's

BERRIET
30th June 2010, 20:10
Hello veryone ,

recently i've heard that my grandfather had a trawler in the 40's , fitted with sails , and also with a small high speed diesel engine , trade mark is "Baudouin " 4 cylinders , 4 strokes .

Any one has something about it ? of course , one can say i'm French native ,
but i exhausted all french sites , forums and so on to get something !

Nothing at all.

Thanks by advance !

chadburn
30th June 2010, 21:31
Most of the smaller diesel engine's that were (and still are) used in boat's were marinised truck engines, in England the Ford 6cy engine was the most used "block" of all by many companies who attached their own name to it like Thornycroft, Mermaid etc, I believe your engine "block" was made by Renault. The marine version may well be the work of a particular French Boatbuilder.

omcgarry
30th June 2010, 21:51
Most of the smaller diesel engine's that were (and still are) used in boat's were marinised truck engines, in England the Ford 6cy engine was the most used "block" of all by many companies who attached their own name to it like Thornycroft, Mermaid etc, I believe your engine "block" was made by Renault. The marine version may well be the work of a particular French Boatbuilder.

I came across one of these engines on a small french trawler in the early 70's also later on in the 90's an engineer restoring an old barge asked me did I ever come across one of these and I said I had in France and his reply was that only way he could gets parts for it was to try Renault in France

randcmackenzie
30th June 2010, 21:55
Sometimes caled Bad one, I think they were quite commonly installed in French built ships as emergency generators and emergency fire pumps.

Heavy duty slow running engines from what I recall.

treeve
30th June 2010, 22:06
Come across these engines often in my research.
Company now at http://www.moteurs-baudouin.fr/
I believe.
What did you want to know?
I can then see what I have.

Don Matheson
30th June 2010, 22:20
I believe that small Baudouin engines were fitted to some English Canal barges during the early part of the last century.
Think I saw one recently on a TV programme about building and then restoring an old barge named the Dover.

Don

tugtere
1st July 2010, 04:52
Bauouin engines were license built Gardner engines in those days.

spongebob
1st July 2010, 07:15
If they were built by Gardner they must have been pretty good.

Bob

vickentallen
1st July 2010, 20:55
Had Two of them in a personel carrier at Kishorn, building the Ninian Central..Air start, never missed a beat, great engines, think they were about, 270hp +/- spares were a problem but I think they had an agent in the UK at that time ?

tugtere
2nd July 2010, 02:42
In 1936 a french bloke, Marin-Marie sailed a 45' launch from New York-Le Harve, the first solo trans-Atlantic crossing by motor boat. Named "Arielle" he also had fitted the first practical wind vane self steering gear. The engine was a 4cyl. Baudouin-license built 4LW Gardner with air start. Marin-Marie's book on both that and a previous single handed crossing in the yacht "Winibelle" was published as "Wind Aloft-Wind Alow" regards Ray

BERRIET
2nd July 2010, 17:26
In 1936 a french bloke, Marin-Marie sailed a 45' launch from New York-Le Harve, the first solo trans-Atlantic crossing by motor boat. Named "Arielle" he also had fitted the first practical wind vane self steering gear. The engine was a 4cyl. Baudouin-license built 4LW Gardner with air start. Marin-Marie's book on both that and a previous single handed crossing in the yacht "Winibelle" was published as "Wind Aloft-Wind Alow" regards Ray

First , thanks to you all for so much replies !
Yes , this is what my Father told me about : 4 cylinders , one could shout down and used to fill in the air start bottle .

I will follow your advises and try to Google "Gardner".

Yours faithfully.(Read)

kev poole
30th July 2010, 22:27
had a baudouin in a trawler i once owned,180hp @1200rpm,never missed a beat,fine engines in my book.
air start,you had igniters you screwed in the cylinders to help it start,and then shut the fuel off on one cylinder to pump the air bottels up,they were very popular in fishing boats

BERRIET
6th August 2010, 19:45
hello Kev Poole ,

if you have any papers dealing with it , may father will be happy then.He never stop saying when he was a kid (late 40's) he had in hands the maintenance booklet of his father , now he ask me to google it and sort it out by any means to find a copy or extract of it .

thanks by advance .(Frogger)

Adler
22nd March 2013, 22:12
Hello Berriet,

I think your father said for a Baudouin engine (Societe des Moteurs Baudouin - SMB) type DB or maybe DK 4 cylinders / 4 stroke / 100HP at 1250 rpm.

Adler
22nd March 2013, 22:24
Please see also the attached file.

It's part from www.moteurs-baudouin.fr / Company / History