Big Four

elektriker
5th July 2010, 22:52
Hello folks,
Anybody out there who sailed on Ellermans"Big Four"early sixties?I was 3rd lecky on P.E.for 15months,2nd lecky on Exeter for about same time,then promoted to 1st lecky on Brisbane(MANZ run),back to Exeter for 3 trips,the left to go to Clan Line.

TIM HUDSON
6th July 2010, 00:02
I was junior, 4th and 3rd Engineer on Port Elizabeth, York and most frequently Exeter in the 1960's.............great times and ships.

andy88up.
6th July 2010, 17:09
Sailed on City of Exeter from 03/66 to 08/67 as 2nd Officer. The master was Capt Ronnie Steel.
Also sailed on City of Port Elizabeth from 09/70 until the end. Capt Greenhow, I believe.
Andy C.

TIM HUDSON
6th July 2010, 21:05
Sailed on City of Exeter from 03/66 to 08/67 as 2nd Officer. The master was Capt Ronnie Steel.
Also sailed on City of Port Elizabeth from 09/70 until the end. Capt Greenhow, I believe.
Andy C.

Andy....we must have sailed together as I signed on the Exeter in march 66 and the ship, upon its return to UK, was snarled up in Seamens strike, eventually making big docking at Swans. I remember it well as was due to be married in the June and made it by 2 days, leaving as ship berthed at Newcastle Quayside to discharge.
rgds

andy88up.
8th July 2010, 23:30
Hi Tim
Have been looking up my notes and disch book. We went to Tilbury to disembark the passengers, then anchored off Southend pier for about a week. Discharged in London and Rotterdam, then anchored off Spurn Point, before docking in Newcastle. Foreign Articles were closed on 28/06/66, Went to dry dock then for twelve year survey. I still got a months leave before the next voyage, and saw all the world cup.
I remember you were 4th Eng then, and due to get married. Glad you made it. I had some great times on the Exeter in these days. Regards, Andy.

TIM HUDSON
9th July 2010, 00:03
Hi Tim
Have been looking up my notes and disch book. We went to Tilbury to disembark the passengers, then anchored off Southend pier for about a week. Discharged in London and Rotterdam, then anchored off Spurn Point, before docking in Newcastle. Foreign Articles were closed on 28/06/66, Went to dry dock then for twelve year survey. I still got a months leave before the next voyage, and saw all the world cup.
I remember you were 4th Eng then, and due to get married. Glad you made it. I had some great times on the Exeter in these days. Regards, Andy.

hello andy, good to bring back memories of that great ship although that trip was a bit tense for me ! The capt was about to get a boat to get me off from Spurn when orders came to go to Tyne....what a relief. several of the engineers came to my stag night down in south shields, think it was the thursday and i married on the saturday. after our honeymoon i rejoined the exeter during the big 12 year docking/survey and did the next voyage eventually leaving mid-november of same year. do you remember a first mate also called hudson (some confusion during voyage when telegrams came for me !) ?
best rgds
tim

andy88up.
10th July 2010, 15:40
Hi Tim
Yes I remember John Hudson on the City of Exeter. I met him again in the summer of 1968. He was doing his last voyage, as a passenger had given him a job in the Durban area. He was emigrating there that year.
Cheers, Andy.

elektriker
27th June 2012, 23:03
Glad to hear you guys are still going strong.I was hoping to hear from guys a couple of years earlier eg.,Lennie maughan,Ronnie Major,Lou Jack,Jimmy Guthrie,Bill Talbot,Norman Burgoyne.All P.E. & Exeter men.

ccurtis1
27th June 2012, 23:39
Any of you Ellerman guys ever come across Billy White from Sunderland? I think he got up to Chief Engineer and then went off to the British Ship Research up in Glasgow.

cannanore
6th December 2014, 19:54
Glad to hear you guys are still going strong.I was hoping to hear from guys a couple of years earlier eg.,Lennie maughan,Ronnie Major,Lou Jack,Jimmy Guthrie,Bill Talbot,Norman Burgoyne.All P.E. & Exeter men.

Hello-this is Maurice Perrin-I did my first 2 trips on this ship-Jan to Jul 62-8 th; Eng. As I remember Ch was Russell-don't think he ever had a conversation with me. 2/E was Elder-an Australian-somewhat middle-aged-there may have been a history there. The thirds were Lou Jack-ex Alexander Stephens-I was his junior on the 4-8-very nice guy-took a while to appear on the AM watch! Ossie Barclay had the 12-4. 4th; was Ian Dalton ex Paddy Hendersons-he had the fiver on watch="horse" Cartwright from Stockton. the other junior was George Ward from Glasgow. Burgoyne was 1st; Lecky- Lenny Maughan-#2 and yourself 3rd-I can't remember your christian name-but how about Arthur as surname. I think I may have some old B&W photographs of the above crowd-if you send me details I happy to post. Looking back the P.E was very much oil and water-no social dealings with the deck-I met the Mate Jimmy Grant in Calcutta -he was first trip master of the Dundee-I was in P&O's Cannanore. I see that you went to Clan Line-was it a better company than Ellermans-I went to Harrisons and finally OCL for steam time-anyhow -if you get this all the best=MP