ruud
8th November 2005, 08:33
Ahoy Billyboy,

Just have a look here:

http://merchant-navy.net/Pictures/british%20kiwi.html

John_F
8th November 2005, 10:14
Billy,
The Kiwi was launched on 21.7.1959 & completed on 14.1.1960 by Smiths Dock Co., Middlesborough. In 1976 she was transferred to BP's oil development company & converted into a North Sea fire fighting & maintenance vessel & renamed Forties Kiwi. In 1982 she was renamed Coltair. In 1986 she was sold to the Waterloo Shipping Co. of Malta & renamed Kitty. She was laid up on the Blackwater for a couple of years before going for scrap in April 1989. All this information was gleaned from Norman Middlemiss's book The British Tankers.
For your info, a sister ship of the Kiwi, the British Trust, was originally scheduled to be named as the British Kiwi. This ship was going to be launched by Dame Patti Menzies, the wife of the then New Zealand Prime Minister. I believe that the powers that be in Head Office at that time thought that the name Kiwi may be a little disrespectful to Dame Patti (this was 1959!) so the rather innocuous name of Trust was substituted. I served 6 months on the Trust as 3/0 (1964). She was the only vessel of her class not to be named after a bird.

paul0510
8th November 2005, 10:52
...thanks, John, always wondered about that oddity!! Thought somebody had got pissed before the launching and couldn't pronounce 'Thrush' proper-like!! Sailed on two of those 'Birdies' and loved every minute. Great curry ships (Thumb)

billyboy
8th November 2005, 12:29
Gentlemen, I am so impressed with this responce, thank you all, thank you Ruud for the website, great pictures once again. my friend will be so pleased with the result of this inquiry. bet he joins the site soon!!. God bless you all.

John_F
8th November 2005, 13:01
...thanks, John, always wondered about that oddity!! Thought somebody had got pissed before the launching and couldn't pronounce 'Thrush' proper-like!! Sailed on two of those 'Birdies' and loved every minute. Great curry ships (Thumb)
Paul,
I was lucky enough to do 2 birds as well. The Gannet was my other one as first trip uncertificated 3/0. Very comfortable, modern ships for their time. Unfortunately, on both of them, I only had coastal trips, Sweden, Denmark, etc.,in & out of Grangemouth usually, which, as I'm sure you are aware, was hard grind, especially in winter.
Kind regards,
John Firmin.

paul0510
8th November 2005, 14:17
Paul,
I was lucky enough to do 2 birds as well. The Gannet was my other one as first trip uncertificated 3/0. Very comfortable, modern ships for their time. Unfortunately, on both of them, I only had coastal trips, Sweden, Denmark, etc.,in & out of Grangemouth usually, which, as I'm sure you are aware, was hard grind, especially in winter.
Kind regards,
John Firmin.

Had that pleasure on the old Patrol & Hero but places like Aarhus,the Nyhaven,Kjopsvik etc. made it all worth while!!

Dave Edge
9th November 2005, 00:44
John,
Dame Patti Menzies would have been the wife of the then Australian Prime Minister, not New Zealand, which may explain the change from "British Kiwi"!

John_F
9th November 2005, 09:49
John,
Dame Patti Menzies would have been the wife of the then Australian Prime Minister, not New Zealand, which may explain the change from "British Kiwi"!
You're absolutely right Dave - is my face red! Dame Patti was the wife of Sir Robert Menzies, the Australian PM, hence the name change. Hope I haven't upset too many of our Antipodean members.
Kind regards,
John.

2ND Cook Alex
21st November 2008, 23:54
Billy, Hi there, was on Forties Kiwi 1976 till 1977, crew did 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. First trip joined in Dundee just in time for a big re-launch party, was an A/s at the time. Remember the head of catering being carried down the gangway, blind drunk, and flashing everyone by lifting his kilt!!! Went up to Aberdeen on sea trials, then off to Forties field to commence duties as fire-fighting, accomodation ship.

Barry Casswell
22nd December 2008, 18:11
A bit late to this thread but I am a new boy joined today...I was with BP for 2 years in 1971 +2 as a Navigating Cadet. The British Kiwi was my first ship which i joined in Aden ...we did 6 months around Africa, Indian Ocean and South China Sea. On that first ship ...we sailed 90 miles up the Congo to "Ango Ango" - remember that place ?....we turned around in a "whirlpool" in the Congo River to go back to the Coast after discharging.
On that first trip 4 Captains dies - I joined with a first trip Captain who was dead 6 weeks later from Yellow Fever. We also went through 2 Tidal Waves in Typhoon Kit in the South China Sea...bent the front derricks back to the Bridge and we blew one of the boilers as water went down the funnel.we were towed into Yokohama about 2 weeks later.
My memories of that ship are like a "Boys Own Adventure" - people never believed half the stories but they were all true and more....
Hope to be able to talk to anyone who was in BP and sailed with me on the various ships...
regs, Barry

John_F
22nd December 2008, 21:21
A bit late to this thread but I am a new boy joined today...I was with BP for 2 years in 1971 +2 as a Navigating Cadet. The British Kiwi was my first ship which i joined in Aden ...we did 6 months around Africa, Indian Ocean and South China Sea. On that first ship ...we sailed 90 miles up the Congo to "Ango Ango" - remember that place ?....we turned around in a "whirlpool" in the Congo River to go back to the Coast after discharging.
On that first trip 4 Captains dies - I joined with a first trip Captain who was dead 6 weeks later from Yellow Fever. We also went through 2 Tidal Waves in Typhoon Kit in the South China Sea...bent the front derricks back to the Bridge and we blew one of the boilers as water went down the funnel.we were towed into Yokohama about 2 weeks later.
My memories of that ship are like a "Boys Own Adventure" - people never believed half the stories but they were all true and more....
Hope to be able to talk to anyone who was in BP and sailed with me on the various ships...
regs, Barry
Hi Barry,
I had heard that tale about the Kiwi before, having her samson posts bent back by a tidal wave & I think it may have been someone on this site. You certainly had a baptism of fire - is that why you left BP?
As you may be aware, the Kiwi went on to become an oilrig support vessel in the North Sea & was renamed Forties Kiwi. There is a photo of her here in her new guise:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=139182
Do you have any photos of the Kiwi after her exploits with tidal waves? Would love to see any you have, before or after - you'll find that there are one or two Bird boat fanciers on this site!
Kind regards,
John

Bobmur
11th February 2009, 02:40
I also have many tales of the Kiwi as first trip J/E 1970/71 Indian fitter was my mentor in Engine Room first port watch in L.M. when I opened the aft peak rundown valve to double bottoms, overflowed into bilges whereby I pumped out and flooded cofferdam and dropped 100 tons into the L.M.harbour spent 6 hours on 6 off to Melbourne watching Weirs Vertical evaporator making water,my oppo junior was not impressed as he got the other 6 hours on/off watch

R58484956
11th February 2009, 13:53
Greetings Bobmur and a warm welcome to SN on your first posting. Enjoy the site and the banter that goes with it. Bon voyage.

Satanic Mechanic
24th February 2009, 03:20

Was there not one of the tree class which was actually an 'Ity' or maybe the other way round. Possibly the British Maple

billyboy
24th February 2009, 08:42
Anyone aboard who sailed on the Kiwis maiden voyage to Sydney? if so do they remember Bob (robert) Taylor the galley boy.

223bptanker11
30th August 2012, 13:57
Hello

Does anyone remember apprentice Peter Hillier on the maiden voyge to Austrailia?

Bernard Dingwall

A.D.FROST
30th August 2012, 14:37
Billy,
The Kiwi was launched on 21.7.1959 & completed on 14.1.1960 by Smiths Dock Co., Middlesborough. In 1976 she was transferred to BP's oil development company & converted into a North Sea fire fighting & maintenance vessel & renamed Forties Kiwi. In 1982 she was renamed Coltair. In 1986 she was sold to the Waterloo Shipping Co. of Malta & renamed Kitty. She was laid up on the Blackwater for a couple of years before going for scrap in April 1989. All this information was gleaned from Norman Middlemiss's book The British Tankers.
For your info, a sister ship of the Kiwi, the British Trust, was originally scheduled to be named as the British Kiwi. This ship was going to be launched by Dame Patti Menzies, the wife of the then New Zealand Prime Minister. I believe that the powers that be in Head Office at that time thought that the name Kiwi may be a little disrespectful to Dame Patti (this was 1959!) so the rather innocuous name of Trust was substituted. I served 6 months on the Trust as 3/0 (1964). She was the only vessel of her class not to be named after a bird.

BRITISH TRUST was laid down as the BRITISH THRUSH .A little bird tells me that it was the connations of the word that led to the change(nudge,nudge wink,wink)(?HUH)

jonjo777
20th December 2012, 12:22
i did a 6 month trip on trust joined in gulf paid of freemantle on time in my seagoing career didnt want leave a ship as it was going to new zealand i also served on forties kiwi

223bptanker11
20th December 2012, 17:27
thanks i was deck apprentice but was about april 1960 aboard for 9 months

Graham Wallace
12th February 2013, 20:56
Hello

Does anyone remember apprentice Peter Hillier on the maiden voyge to Austrailia?

Bernard Dingwall

Peter Hillier was a 1961? Nav App, eventually Master of the Poplar December 1981 ( from old BP Ships Movements). Ihave never come across him.

Graham

venezuela
22nd May 2013, 12:46
To all comments on Br. kiwi
I sailed on the kiwi as Electrician, 2nd Engr and finally Chief. Was then part of the team that converted her to Forties Kiwi. Am looking for any photos with reference to this conversion. Anythig out there?
Venezuela

Graham Wallace
26th May 2013, 05:58
I sailed on the kiwi as Electrician, 2nd Engr and finally Chief. Was then part of the team that converted her to Forties Kiwi. Am looking for any photos with reference to this conversion. Anythig out there?
Venezuela

I have a copy of Fleet News #85 November 1976 which has a few pages of text and photos of her conversion, have you seen it?

Somewhere else have some photos of her internals, but where?

But who are you is the question ? I'm working on it.

Ian Anderson her first CO is still around playing golf.

Graham

spongebob
26th May 2013, 07:52
quote.

This ship was going to be launched by Dame Patti Menzies, the wife of the then New Zealand Prime Minister.

Hang on there John, you mean the Australian Prime Minister, Kiwis are NZ birds

Bob

Gordon Turnbull
16th June 2013, 16:48
I too was on the Kiwi for her conversion in Rotterdam. Stayed on her, I think it was 5 trips then got fed up so back deep sea it was.

venezuela
17th June 2013, 16:21
Gordon,
In what capacity were you aboard the Kiwi during her conversion?
Venezuela

venezuela
17th June 2013, 16:25
I have a copy of Fleet News #85 November 1976 which has a few pages of text and photos of her conversion, have you seen it?

Somewhere else have some photos of her internals, but where?

But who are you is the question ? I'm working on it.

Ian Anderson her first CO is still around playing golf.

Graham

Graham,
Sorry for the delay in responding, Affairs of State!!!
Went to Warwick Uni and BP Archives. Saw your ref to the fleet news issue 85. Useful, many thanks.
Still thinking about Venezuela??

Graham Wallace
17th June 2013, 16:36
Graham,
Went to Warwick Uni and BP Archives. Saw your ref to the fleet news issue 85. Useful, many thanks.

Yup, but struggling with other things at present.

Out of interest the first crew list I have of Forties Kiwi crew is 15th October 1976, nearly 70 crew names ( double crew?). Master to Galley boy , FG and AB and all in between, Engineers and Leckies(4).

I actually have been in touch with almost 30 of her personnel from 1962 to 1977

Graham

Graham Wallace
18th June 2013, 00:55
Graham,

One final try, I'll send you an SN email.

Graham.

venezuela
20th June 2013, 13:29
Graham,
I have to make a correction to your thinking, I went sea in '54 but didn't join BP until '76 as Leckie (Horrible word).
Went CE in early '70 and then into the office in '73.
Ron Jackson was a very close friend of mine, served his time at Rustons. He passed away some years ago (the dreaded cancer).
I thought you would have worked it out by now!!!!!
Regards,
Venezuela

Graham Wallace
20th June 2013, 17:51
Graham,
I have to make a correction to your thinking, I went sea in '54 but didn't join BP until '76 as Leckie (Horrible word).
Went CE in early '70 and then into the office in '73.
Ron Jackson was a very close friend of mine, served his time at Rustons. He passed away some years ago (the dreaded cancer).
I thought you would have worked it out by now!!!!!
Regards,
Venezuela

Hold on a bit , this is harder than the Times crossword... how could you join BP as an Electrical Officer in '76 but have been a CE in 1970 and into BP HO 76 3 years before you joined BP? You may be good , but not that good!
Now if you mean CE in 1980 and then HO in 1983, I have to re think a few things

Gotcha, Poplar May 1980... took me a little time, but I realised I actually know about 90% of those 1980 CE's, some good friends there. Actually that still does not make sense, he was an EO on Destiny 1964, I'm screwed , going back to bed !

Well at least I know of three BP EO's who became CE's!

Graham

Tony Maskell
22nd June 2013, 03:47
Whilst on the Bird Class, recently out in the Indian Ocean, the British Curlew, - not one of the original Bird Boats - went to the assistance of a sinking asylum boat carrying Shri Lanka nationals, taking them to Christmas Island. This is one of a new class of "Bird Boats" registered in Douglas Isle of Man, Double Hulled Crude Oil carriers of 115000 tonnes. 12 in class including some new names, ie British Falcon and British Eagle.. Delivered at around 2003 / 2004.
Tony Maskell

venezuela
18th July 2013, 17:44
I too was on the Kiwi for her conversion in Rotterdam. Stayed on her, I think it was 5 trips then got fed up so back deep sea it was.

Gordon,
Just seen your note on the Kiwi, but unfortunately cannot place you. Can you advise what rank(s) you held aboard??
Venezuela

brooksy
18th July 2013, 18:03
Joined the Kiwi 25 September 1976 at the shipyard in Rotterdam.Left her in the Forties Field 11 December 1979

retfordmackem
19th September 2013, 18:54
Venezuela.
Venezuela-Are you Bob Hofton?

Jedo_03
16th January 2014, 10:44
Hello Barry... found your post while searching..
I was on the Kiwi in '64 and went up the Congo River to Ango Ango (Mbengo Mbengo) with Av spirits... I was a mere JOS... and can remember being awe-struck with that whirlpool... Also managed an impromptu night ashore (Matadi) where I lost my cherry LOL...
Joe R779727

regs, Barry

Jedo_03
16th January 2014, 10:51
Hello Graham...
I was on the Kiwi, joined Jan 1964... JOS...
Goole - Curacao - Puerto Rica - Luanda - Ango Ango - Capetown - Port Elizabeth - Durban - Biera - Gulf: then back and forth between the Gulf and Natal for next 11 months...
Do you have a crew list..??
Joe R779727

Yup, but struggling with other things at present.

Out of interest the first crew list I have of Forties Kiwi crew is 15th October 1976, nearly 70 crew names ( double crew?). Master to Galley boy , FG and AB and all in between, Engineers and Leckies(4).

I actually have been in touch with almost 30 of her personnel from 1962 to 1977

Graham

Jedo_03
16th January 2014, 11:35
SMITH'S DOCK COMPANY LTD., SOUTH BANK
Name BRITISH KIWI
Type Tanker
Yard Number 1256
Launched 21/07/1959
Completed 01/1960
Off. Number 304042
Engine builder Hawthorn Leslie, Hebburn
Engine type 2 S.C.S.A. 6 cyl. Doxford
GRT 11178
Length (feet) 525.2
Beam (feet) 69.3
First owner BP Tanker Company, London

History 03/1960 Clyde Charter Co. Ltd.
1972 BP Tanker Company, London
1976 FORTIES KIWI, BP Oil Development Company, converted to offshore support vessel
1982 renamed COLTAIR
1986 KITTY, Waterloo Shipping Co., Malta (11019 grt.)
10/02/1986 - 11/04/1989 laid up in River Blackwater

Fate 30/04/1989 passed Suez en route to breakers at Alang, arrived 14/05/1989.
British Kiwi 1960
British Kiwi as offshore support vessel Kitty

Joe R779727

cyborg
15th June 2014, 18:27
my first trip on the kiwi in 64 wasn;t hassle free it was always breaking down and hoisting the black balls.Nearly got washed overboard in a force 5 in the bay of biscay doing life boat drill;;happy days

chadburn
15th June 2014, 20:23
Mr Johns at Smiths would have never envisaged that his design would end up with so many changes when she became the Kitty.

JohnBP
16th June 2014, 14:44
Did not sail in the Kiwi but did for 6 months on the Curlew as 4th E. Great ship, I just loved the lines of the Birdy Boats.....

kevjacko
16th June 2014, 19:30
I was on her in South Shields 82 when she converted to Coltaire. Couldn't get off quick enough back deep sea.

johnja
21st June 2014, 17:12
I joined the Kiwi in Jan 1961 as 1st trip nav app, did the lube oil run to Aus & NZ, out through Panama, got back in November after doing S Africa, East Africa, Hong Kong, India, Red Sea ports.
I was then on the Gull and then the Kestrel.
Good times.

John J-A