Engineer Apprentices 1965 intake

Malky Glaister
7th July 2010, 14:56
Yesterday I met up with John Lilburn, an apprentice of the 1965 intake. We had been good pals and had not been in contact for 42 years.
Thanks to a combination of Ships Nostalgia and facebook. we arranged to meet and had a great afternoon over a pub lunch and a couple of beers.
I have also recently contacted David Scott and know that Harry Grainger is member. Alas we can never contact Jim MacGillivary who has crossed the bar.
Should any of the other lads read this please drop the forum a post

I would like to thank Ships Nostalgia (and Facebook) for giving me the opourtunity for a great afternoon

regards Malky

Gulpers
7th July 2010, 20:05
Malky,

Harry drops into SN now and again.
This thread could well be buried by then and Harry may miss it.
Why don't you send him a PM so that it flashes up next time he is on-line. (Thumb)

Malky Glaister
7th July 2010, 21:59
Hi Gulpers,
Just sent Harry a PM.
Lets hope the thread dosn't get buried too quickly. There were 18 lads, most of which I don't think stayed at sea too long but some did and some more may well have
regards Malky

John Cassels
7th July 2010, 22:08
The name Jim MacGillivary rings a bell.
Have a feeling I sailed with him on the Burmah Legacy in 1980. He was C/E and I was
mate.
Would this be correct ?. Did he go ashore shortly afterwards ?.

Wee John
8th July 2010, 08:56
I was not a member of the 65 intake, but I was the year before and remember Malky well,and my wife remembers a couple of the names as well (she was the lass who typed the exam papers). All the best with your search.

Malky Glaister
8th July 2010, 12:41
Hi John, How are you? And how's the wee Barra?
There were a couple of lads from 1964 who were pals. Roddy macLean and Willie Millar. Danny Easton-- David Eastons brother too. I can't recall anyone else from that year.
Nice to hear from you again

regards Malky

Gulpers
8th July 2010, 12:53
Hi John, How are you? And how's the wee Barra?
There were a couple of lads from 1964 who were pals. Roddy macLean and Willie Millar. Danny Easton-- David Eastons brother too. I can't recall anyone else from that year.
Nice to hear from you again

regards Malky

Malky,

Roddy MacLean was Second Engineer on Troll River when I joined her in September '72. A helluva man! (Jester)

Malky Glaister
8th July 2010, 13:24
Roddy,
A hellova student too was Roddy on the entertainment side if not the academic!
There was another from Campbellown. Iain Buchanan whom I sailed with on the Lousy. He was 2/e and I third
Regards Malky

Malky Glaister
12th July 2010, 14:08
John,
There are some posts about Jim and his passing in January 2009. I cannot say if he Sailed on the Burmah boats but I think he was mainly on dry ships ( I don't mean alcohol!)
regards Malky

David Scott
18th December 2010, 21:15
Hi Malky,

A couple more that were with us at that time...... Les Yuill, Ronnie Benson and Peter Coutts. Last time I saw Peter was at one of the Denholms dinner/dances in the Central Hotel, 1976 I think. He stayed in touch with Lofty and Christine I would have bet.
Adrian Goodwin and I swap Xmas cards every year and the odd phone call. He lives in Christchurch, Dorset these days.
Ronnie Benson's dad had something to do with spare parts supplies for the motor trade (like Dingbro) and I think Ronnie left the sea to join him, moving to Irvine or Kilmarnock. I saw Ronnie and his wife Cathy in Glasgow airport in the 80's, but on the other side of the security glass them going, us returning from holiday so couldnt make contact.
Now you have got my failing brain churning over, no doubt I will wake up in the wee small hours with another name or two.
David

Malky Glaister
20th December 2010, 11:42
Hi Dave, Nice to hear from you. Ronnie went into the motor trade years ago. I think his Dad bought up the entire stock of long vehicle notices and made a vast profit selling them when they became a legal requirement. Helived inNorth Ayrshire some place. Coutsie, I don't know where he went. Adrian relieved me on Spey Bridge just as the inert gas blower fell apart! I doubt he has ever forgiven me for that!
I don't no of anyone else. It's a pity as we were a good bunch
regards Malky

David Scott
18th April 2011, 23:09
Hi Malky,
After John chinned me to find out who else we could contact, I spoke to Ian Buchanan on the phone the other night. He was away back to work that very night but said he would be in touch when he gets back from the western isles..... Weather permitting of course.
He will also do what he can to find out what happened to the rest of the lads. The Lord of the Glens should be starting her transit from Inverness through the Caledonian Canal pretty soon now that Easter is upon us, so I will ask more questions of Frank McNealage as to who may be where.
David.

Malky Glaister
19th April 2011, 03:22
Dave, I have made a list of the Apprentices which I will E mail to you when it's complete. A possible reunion would be a great idea. It is not too far off 50 years since that morning in 37 St Vincent Street. J and Js back door!

regards Malky

John Cassels
19th April 2011, 07:59
Hi Malky,
After John chinned me to find out who else we could contact, I spoke to Ian Buchanan on the phone the other night. He was away back to work that very night but said he would be in touch when he gets back from the western isles..... Weather permitting of course.
He will also do what he can to find out what happened to the rest of the lads. The Lord of the Glens should be starting her transit from Inverness through the Caledonian Canal pretty soon now that Easter is upon us, so I will ask more questions of Frank McNealage as to who may be where.
David.

FRANK McNEILAGE ?? , can't be !.

Malky Glaister
19th April 2011, 13:10
Last time I saw Frank McNeilage was in the offices of the mob who took over Scottish Ship Management in Bath Street Glasgow. I did three trips with them but they were a terrible outfit to work for! Frank was pretty harassed I recall. Sitting at the next desk was one Willie Patterson, superintendent from Rothesay. He was a 1964 apprentice!

If anyone contacts either of these two chaps to pass my regards on

regards malky

Adrian Goodwin
23rd March 2012, 15:26
Malky

We joined Denholms in the same year. I keep in touch with Dave Scot.

Brandane62
23rd March 2012, 16:28
Sitting at the next desk was one Willie Patterson, superintendent from Rothesay. He was a 1964 apprentice!

Willie Paterson from Rothesay; that will be my older cousin then! Was a Chief Engineer with Denholms before getting a shore job? Now lives in Inverurie and has something to do with NorthLink ferries these days.

Malky Glaister
24th March 2012, 10:08
Malky

We joined Denholms in the same year. I keep in touch with Dave Scot.

Hi Adrian,
Nice to hear from you. I too keep in touch with Dave as well as John Lilburn

regards Malky

Malky Glaister
24th March 2012, 10:11
Willie Paterson from Rothesay; that will be my older cousin then! Was a Chief Engineer with Denholms before getting a shore job? Now lives in Inverurie and has something to do with NorthLink ferries these days.

Hi Brandane62,

Thanks for the info.
I relieved Willie on my (and his( first trip on Denholms BIBI in 1968.
We did the new building of Anglia Team in 1972 also.
Pass my regards to him please,

regards
Malky

Brandane62
30th March 2012, 13:29
Hi Brandane62,

Thanks for the info.
I relieved Willie on my (and his( first trip on Denholms BIBI in 1968.
We did the new building of Anglia Team in 1972 also.
Pass my regards to him please,

regards
Malky

I don't tend to see Willie very often due to the distance involved, but will pass on your regards next time I see him.

Regards,
Al.