I am looking to upgrade to a better camera and have about 1200 to spend
I have looked at Canon 50D/500D/Nikon D90
Cant seem to be able to judge which is best for quality
Anybody have any of these , and how do they perform
Many thanks

Dave

Andy
12th July 2010, 10:26
Presuming you have a lens or two for your current camera, I'd stick with Canon.
Have to say, the Canon 7D takes my fancy at the moment, not much wrong with it and a lot right about it.

Even so, if you have a dslr, the best use of money is usually towards getting better glassware to put in front of it... but the 400D is getting a bit left behind now, and you may want something more substantial as that range 300, 350, 400 etc.. are quite dainty.

cheers,
Andy

hawkey01
12th July 2010, 15:57
I have recently upgraded to a Canon 550D. I have only had it a fairly short time but it has most of the bells and whistles you could want. Also you still have the full auto if you want. I have to say I tend to use that and the results are good. I found out that the lenses from my old SLR would fit beautifully - if they are Canon lenses - so I just purchased the body saving a considerable amount of money. I purchased mine from Warehouse Direct online who are excellent and the discount was quite substantial.

Hawkey01

John Rogers
12th July 2010, 17:06
Nothing wrong with the Canon,I have one,however I bought the Nikon 3000 last month ready for my vacation to Norway next month.
I will be taking both so I can compare photos.

John.

stevie-w
12th July 2010, 17:51
Take a look at the Pentax K-7, a great camera with great reviews. I bought one at Christmas and am very impressed with it. Image stabilization is in the body which means lenses are relatively cheaper than the big two brands, and you can use older lenses with Pentax-K fittings. Plus it is completely weather-sealed which means that you need not be afraid of using it in inclement weather.
As I say, check out the reviews and make your own mind up. Check out this website for prices on all the quality brands once you have made your mind up..http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/index.html

shipphotos
12th July 2010, 19:01
Am quietly leaning toward the 7D I may have to spend a little more
I have been scanning the internet for comparisons and most say the 7D is the best
Wife may have to go short for a while
Priorities

Dave

RHP
9th February 2011, 16:05
I have recently upgraded to a Canon 550D. I have only had it a fairly short time but it has most of the bells and whistles you could want. Also you still have the full auto if you want. I have to say I tend to use that and the results are good. I found out that the lenses from my old SLR would fit beautifully - if they are Canon lenses - so I just purchased the body saving a considerable amount of money. I purchased mine from Warehouse Direct online who are excellent and the discount was quite substantial.

Hawkey01

Hello Hawkey,

I'm just about to buy a Canon 550D. I relocated to Singapore on January 1st and my office overlooks the container port at Tanjong Pagar and all the ships anchored outside. i'd like to picture these ships so assume I need a telephoto lens.

Can anyone advise me what lens I should get, I guess the ships are between 1,000 to 3,000m away? Even from the beachline they're a good distance off. I'll be using the lens in conjunction with a tripod.

Thanks for all advice,
Richard

John Leary
10th February 2011, 12:41
RHP
At the end of the day it depends on how deep your pockets are, but like Andy's comment in post #2 it is worth paying more in order to get the results. I have a number of Canon "L" series lenses but the one I tend to use the most is the
100-400mm zoom, f4.5-5.6. It is image stabilised but even so I would suggest using a tripod and cable release for the crispest images possible.
At the range mentioned, you should be able to acquire a reasonably good sized image and at night even with a high ISO setting the graininess might be acceptable. I always take my photographs in RAW, later converting them to TIFF. The latter gives you a large file that then allows you to crop
in an application such as Photoshop whilst still having a picture that can be printed out above 6x4. Good look and I guess we all look forward
to your future postings.
Regards
John

gkh151
10th February 2011, 15:40
Hi Richard,

I agree with John with regards to the focal length of the lens you shoul get pretty good close up shots with it. with the sensor on that camera you multiply the focal lenght by 1.6 so in effect at 400 your lens becomes 640. Thats very long.

Also consider looking at Tamron and Sigma Lenses they do some good alternatives.

I hope that helps.

Regards.

Graham

RHP
10th February 2011, 17:01
Hello John and Graham, Many thanks the advice, exactly what I needed. I came up with the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM as a good general lense without knowing whether it was actually suitable for the job at that range. The EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L comrs out at USD$1,200-$1,400 if I buy it through eBay/Amazon in the US and bring it over - quite a bit more than I had in mond but... well you know.... I need time to think abnout it. The 70-300 wouldnt do teh job?

Thanks
Richard

gkh151
10th February 2011, 18:26
Richard.

I live near the river humber and often photograph the ships passing Spurn point. This is the widest part of the humber I would estimate about 5 miles and the ships pass roughly at the half way point. I have got some good shots even at that distance with my 300 lens so don't right it off.
Is there a way where you could hire a lens to give it a try.

Regards
Graham

John Leary
10th February 2011, 20:31
RHP
Nice to hear from you. When I took up ships photography again after I retired, my first camera was a Sony Cybershot compact with a 3.2 MPixel image sensor and a times 3 zoom. The results were ok but when I cropped an image to concentrate on the point of interest, the results were often disappointing because if I wanted to enlage it the image would pixallate. I also have a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS lens which is absolutely fabulous for low light conditions and for closer-in subjects so I would imagine that your proposed 70-300 lens would give you good results. It might be worth considering a Canon 1.4 or 2 times extender if they are compatible with the lens you are considering buying.
The down side with the extender approach is that the autofocus slows down considerably but if you use a tripod and set up your shot carefully this should not be an issue. I have found that an extender does not work for me if the camera is hand-held. My moto is buy the best you can at the time. You can always upgrade later when finances permit. Best of luck with your photography.
Regards
John

RHP
11th February 2011, 10:58
Thanks John. The 70-300 is more family friendly in the short term, if my pictures turn out well I`ll certainly long to upgrade in 12 months time. Stay tuned, there are a mass of ships to document over here!

Richard

RHP
12th February 2011, 15:35
I have found ze solution.........

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harummanis/3484481059/

Duncan112
13th February 2011, 11:49

Don't think even a Speedlite would be much good with that lens!!

andysk
19th February 2011, 10:46

We have a friend in Aus who always uses her husband like that !

I have a Canon 7D for a year now, it gives great results and loads of flexibility, take a look at this pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50935281@N00/5456811409/). I kmow it's not a maritime subject, but it does show what the 7D will do when maxed out - it was taken at ISO 6400, late at light. The target was moving at about 50-60 mph.

As Andy says earlier, it really depends on the amount you want to (or are allowed to !) pay for the glass. I tend to use it all the time with a Tamron 18-270

Good luck with ypur photography, looking forward to seeing the results here ...

Cheers

Andy

RHP
22nd February 2011, 11:55
Spectacular shot Andy, congratulations.

I've done a lot of reading up since my original question and I have decided to go the following way: Buy the Canon 550D with the kit 2 lens, 18-135 IS. Same time I will buy the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens to get started with.

Once I see the results, move towards the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM prime lens. I expect, subject to the outcome of the 70-300mm shots of ships at a distance, that the 400mm prime lens may become my 'standard lens'.

Going to have to wait a month for the funds to become available but have made up my mind and look forward to showing you gents whats going on out here in the far east.

One things for sure, there are more vessels at anchor here at any one time than I've seen in a year anywhere else!

Best
Richard