Reefers Loch Lomond/Loch Marie

gdynia
8th November 2005, 18:52
Gents

Looking for any photos of the above vessels to complete a folio of ships I sailed on for my son. I sailed on them last when renamed Langelle and Fastelle

Gdynia

John Cassels
8th November 2005, 19:23
Got some photos from a pile of old Denholm News I have.
If all else fails , I can scan and send them over.

JC

airds
8th November 2005, 20:35
Gents

Looking for any photos of the above vessels to complete a folio of ships I sailed on for my son. I sailed on them last when renamed Langelle and Fastelle

Gdynia

See Loch Maree (http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=578) & Loch Lomond (http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=577)

(ps I think the author - Paul Strathdee, is a member & posts here)

rdgs

gdynia
8th November 2005, 21:25
Got some photos from a pile of old Denholm News I have.
If all else fails , I can scan and send them over.

JC
John
That would be great

Gdynia

gdynia
8th November 2005, 21:28
David

Thanks for that much appreciated

Rgds Gdynia

Fairfield
8th November 2005, 21:50
Will put a pic of LOCH LOMOND on the Gallery to be going on with and will look out others.

gdynia
8th November 2005, 22:27
Thanks for your effort much appreciated

Gdynia

Thamesphil
7th July 2006, 12:54
Don't know if it's of interest but the one-time Loch Maree/Langelle has just been sold for demolition in Bangladesh for $327.5/LDT. Her current name is Ice Music.

Cheers
Phil

gdynia
7th July 2006, 15:23
Phil
Thanks for that a sad day for a nice lady

muldonaich
7th July 2006, 17:33
sailed on loch maree 76 great ship great crew what a sad end kevin.

Tony Breach
7th July 2006, 22:17
Boy, did these ships have histories!

Without naming all owners names & flags here's how they went:

LOCH LOMOND 1975
AL ZAHRA 1981
FASTELLE 1984
GEESTHAVEN (2) 1986
STAR HAVEN 1993
PACIFIC KORU 1996
MARY K 1997 (this name was probably never officially used)
PATAGONIAN PRIDE 1997
As PATAGONIAN PRIDE vessel was detained for 192 days in Gdynia due severe structural defects in 1998
PATAGONIAN PRIDE was scrapped in India & arrived Alang 12.12.2000.

LOCH MAREE 1976
AL SALAMA 1981
LANGELLE 1984
GEESTCAPE (2) 1986
EASTCAPE 1993
PACIFIC GALA 1996
CLAIRE S 1997
RIO NEGRO VALLEY 1997
ICE MUSIC 2000 & scrapped as reported above.

The really tough time for these ladies was when they were in the ownership of Jimmy Jacoumis with some partners who lost a lot of money with their involvement.

Keep it cool!

Andy-D
30th July 2006, 02:19
Sad to see loch maree is scrapped, i was first trip cadet on her maiden voyage

ruud
30th July 2006, 06:59
Ahoy,

At one of my searches, found this one, don't know the sources,if it's yours, please feel free to say so, and I will credit this piccie to you.

gdynia
30th July 2006, 08:39
Ruud
Thanks for that. First time I seen this photo. (Thumb)

muldonaich
30th July 2006, 17:30
i think i was bosun on her when this photo was taken regards kev.

Andy-D
30th July 2006, 17:42
first bosun on her was John Macdonald, then Tommy Dahlstrom from paisley, remember either?

muldonaich
31st July 2006, 13:37
know them both tommy was best man at my wedding 36 years ago i had that ship looking like a yacht even got the cadet to paint thistles on the gangway platforms kev.

pentlandpirate
27th August 2006, 08:12
I sailed on Loch Lomond (2nd Phase Deck Cadet) Have got some very nice 35mm slides of Loch Lomond up in the attic (including one featured on back cover of Denholm News Winter/Spring 1980 edition). Just bought copier to copy them to disc and will post photos once I find out how to use the thing.

ruud
27th August 2006, 08:24
I sailed on Loch Lomond (2nd Phase Deck Cadet) Have got some very nice 35mm slides of Loch Lomond up in the attic (including one featured on back cover of Denholm News Winter/Spring 1980 edition). Just bought copier to copy them to disc and will post photos once I find out how to use the thing.
Ahoy Mike,

Looking forward to the results of these scans, hope you will succeed.

pentlandpirate
27th August 2006, 08:38
Hi Ruud,

Am looking forward to being able to do something with all those slides. My wife and kids dread it when I say, "Anyone want to see what life was like at sea!"

If anyone interested, I should have decent photos of Denholm Ship Management ships, Wellpark, Loch Lomond, Coastal Corpus Christi, Nordic Clansman and a couple of Conon Forest (Havrais), and Gothia Team. Think I have a few Instamatic (remember those?) photos of Sevonia Team too somewhere.

Also have copies of Denholm News if anyone trying to find old stories:
Winter 1977/78
Spring 1978
Autumn 1978
Winter 1978/79
Spring/Summer 1979
Autumn 1979
Winter/Spring 1980
Summer 1980
Summer/Autumn 1981
Winter/Spring 1981

ruud
27th August 2006, 09:38
Hi Ruud,

Am looking forward to being able to do something with all those slides. My wife and kids dread it when I say, "Anyone want to see what life was like at sea!"

If anyone interested, I should have decent photos of Denholm Ship Management ships, Wellpark, Loch Lomond, Coastal Corpus Christi, Nordic Clansman and a couple of Conon Forest (Havrais), and Gothia Team. Think I have a few Instamatic (remember those?) photos of Sevonia Team too somewhere.

Also have copies of Denholm News if anyone trying to find old stories:
Winter 1977/78
Spring 1978
Autumn 1978
Winter 1978/79
Spring/Summer 1979
Autumn 1979
Winter/Spring 1980
Summer 1980
Summer/Autumn 1981
Winter/Spring 1981
Ahoy Mike,
Yep we love to see them,post as most possible, always good to see other views of vessels/life on board; as for your wife & kids: 'Thanks to this life at sea, they gratitude this life nowadays living.
Yeah remember those Kodak Instamatics, handy cameras in those days, with those Square Blue Bulb Flashes on top of it.

John Cassels
27th August 2006, 09:59
Also have all copies of Denholm News 1963 - 1980 if anyone interested.

JC

xdenholm
4th October 2006, 10:27
anyone that was with denholms will have these books i know i,ve still got mine,i was on maree while she was getting built in scouston marine hull no 206, i,ve got black and white ariel pics of most of denholms ships round the 1977/78 onwards got them from marion a PA with someone in office, frank mcneilage rings a bell ? they were throwing them out!!!! it is true what keith denholm says anyone that was on these ships wanted back i know i did,when i sailed on her in 1978,hes renamed some new bulkies after them though they look more like troll ships. jc 1963 was it hard back or paper those denholm news .i worked in glasgow office while on leave ,but never found out whom or where they were made do u know?

xdenholm
9th October 2006, 14:38
just remembered, does anyone remember ch/eng,dave bissett and deacon from loch boats around 78/79 ,think it was capt bell at the time (remember wilma the nav cadet ,thats for him) also capt harvey with the gold tooth or even mike pride 2/eng, an x denholms blueyed cadet, think but not sure became M.D. of denholm ship management just before it merged to become anglo seboard?.around 2000.anyone with any info on these chaps? it true what they said i was on her 6months and asked to stay another 6 only to be told no most dissapointing wonder whats happing in golfito now or pt limon

pentlandpirate
5th December 2006, 22:32
Harbour bar, Golfito? Was that the place with the bar down stairs, and the knocking shop upstairs, which was open to the rafters and split into lots of individual cubicles, where (if you were lying on your back with your eyes open: best not done!) you could see the rats running round the top of the partitions and hear your shipments working off their energy nextdoor? Harbour bar, Golfito....never heard of it!!!

Golfito......such fond memories.

As`we pulled up the hook leaving Golfito on Loch Lomond I discovered we had a 25 ft steel barge sat evenly across both flukes. I'm sure there was nothing below us when we let go coming into port! Remember a turtle eating a bunch of floating bananas in the port..............

Stephen J. Card
5th December 2006, 23:16
Harbour bar,

As`we pulled up the hook leaving Golfito on Loch Lomond I discovered we had a 25 ft steel barge sat evenly across both flukes. I'm sure there was nothing below us when we let go coming into port! Remember a turtle eating a bunch of floating bananas in the port..............

During one call at Golfito I asked one of the formen stevedore if it would be possible to 'borrow' a boat for a few hours. We had just finished a massive painting job and the ship was immaculate from stem to stern. The foreman told me that he had a nice 21 foot runabout that he would loan to me. In damn quick time Bill Harvery and myself were down on the jetty with all the swimming gear and a half case of ale... all ready for an afternoon cruise. Well, first setback was that we couldn't have the boat unless we took a drive. We went out... past the ship... took a nice set of photos and then we were unceremoniously dumped back on the jetty. We didn't even have time to open the ale. Bummer!

Stephen

xdenholm
6th December 2006, 10:34
stephen ,i seem to recall a rubber boat with a johnston outboard onboard the maree that the crew use to jaunt about in while in port, dont know if lomond had one to?we called it the captains yacht.(Jester) .talking of the lomond or was it the maree did one of them had a slight collinsion up some river left a slight scar in the ships side that never got repaired over the years only painted do you recall?

Stephen J. Card
6th December 2006, 10:45
stephen ,i seem to recall a rubber boat with a johnston outboard onboard the maree that the crew use to jaunt about in while in port, dont know if lomond had one to?we called it the captains yaught.(Jester) .talking of the lomond or was it the maree did one of them had a slight collinsion up some river left a slight scar in the ships side that never got repaired over the years only painted do you recall?

Nope, the LOMOND never had the jolly boat. A pity!

LOCH MAREE was the one that collided with the nuclear power station in Antwerp. Gave her a nasty gash on her bow plating and crush the solid bulwarks on both sides of the main deck. Somre two years later I had to 'bribe' the Lloyds surveyor into telling the super that the damage had to be repaired. It was.

While the MAREE was having her 'incident' I was already in drydock on the LOMOND... six week in dock repairing a bent rudder for our own 'incident'. We ran aground stern first when coming up the locks. Engine went full astern and we couldn't stop her. Hit the bank doing about twelve knots astern. The rudder ended up looking like a banana. A real mess.

Stephen

xdenholm
6th December 2006, 12:52
thanks stephen, for refreshing my memory yes it was a power station it hit happened just before i joined her ,the story was fresh from everyone on board at the time i do remember the guash on her side.good to hear they eventually fixed it.she also got a crack in her hull to in the english channel i n bad weather i remenmber that one ,the first we knew about it was when the 4/eng , george ,dipped the fuel tank in the enginroom and nearly blew his head off when he opened the weighted sound pipe and sea water burst out of it.it should have been full of heavy fuel oil. mike and myself pumped the tank out before we went into see it. eventually fixed in hamburg with divers and welders inside.i,m trying to remember the other capt that releived harvey at the time?(Thumb)p.s did you join with bob todd by any chance in june79

Stephen J. Card
7th December 2006, 12:24
thanks stephen, for refreshing my memory yes it was a power station it hit happened just before i joined her ,the story was fresh from everyone on board at the time i do remember the guash on her side.good to hear they eventually fixed it.she also got a crack in her hull to in the english channel i n bad weather i remenmber that one ,the first we knew about it was when the 4/eng , george ,dipped the fuel tank in the enginroom and nearly blew his head off when he opened the weighted sound pipe and sea water burst out of it.it should have been full of heavy fuel oil. mike and myself pumped the tank out before we went into see it. eventually fixed in hamburg with divers and welders inside.i,m trying to remember the other capt that releived harvey at the time?(Thumb)p.s did you join with bob todd by any chance in june79

Just checked the Disch Book.... I joined the MAREE in Hamburg on 29th June 1979.

The other master that was there John Corrin. I don't have the voyage details at hand but we did end up loading general reefer cargo... including some cheese and caviar for discharge in Sharjah and Kuwait.

I remember catching one of the cadets with an opened tin of caviar, a spoon and a big grin on his face. HiHe loooked at me and said, 'But Chief you told us never to put cargo back after taking a pulp temperature!" That cadet was Graeme "Orkney" Smith.... later captain with P&O Ferries now working as a pilot in Orkney. Peter Fiskin was either Third or Second Mate. He now works ashore in Miami with Carnival Cruise Lines.

At Kuwait when I paid off, I was short on sea time for master's so I flew from Kuwait to Newcastle NSW to join WELLPARK. Grain and pig iron! I'll take bananas any day!

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
7th December 2006, 12:29

I'm remembering another part of that voyage. I think after Hamburg we went to drydock in North Shields. Remember they found the tail shaft had fractured just outside the sterntube. The surveyor said, "It probably would have lasted another 100 miles." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

xdenholm
7th December 2006, 14:32
stephen,cheched my discharge book nope it was nov 77 to june 78 i was on her capt e.bell signed off dover, though i,m sure someone mentioned frozen chicken going to russia next, was the cadet you mentioned got red hair by any chance i shared a twin cabin with one.cant remember his name , think it was his first trip to sea use to leave the door open when he came in or out,i remember i got a hold of him and told him, to shut the f---king door or else....lol.nothing worse than a cabin door banging shut when your half asleep.yes harvey that was the other captain, the mike pride stuff is good fuel for me next time i see him.[=P] i particulary remember hamburg in november 78 as we all went to the reaperbahn(whats that..lol) when we got the local ferry back we got off one stop to late so decided to walk back to the ship only is was miles away i think we had frostbite when we got back my breath had frozen to the side of my then long hair,as i said i was on maree 61/2 months trip.brilliant(Thumb) the ice around the ship was 3feet thick at least and remember the tug going round the port breaking all the ice up.

Stephen J. Card
9th December 2006, 16:43
i particulary remember hamburg in november 78 as we all went to the reaperbahn(whats that..lol) when we got the local ferry back we got off one stop to late so decided to walk back to the ship only is was miles away i think we had frostbite when we got back my breath had frozen to the side of my then long hair,as i said i was on maree 61/2 months trip.brilliant(Thumb) the ice around the ship was 3feet thick at least and remember the tug going round the port breaking all the ice up.

Mike Pride and Hamburg. Hmmmm.. Ask him to relate some his experiences ashore in Hamburg when we were cadets in the EUROLINER... and Bremerhaven too! I seem to remember Mike, myself and the Sparkie running like mad dogs down the Reaperbahn on night wearing silly green hats with long feathers... trying to outrun the owner of some sleazy nightclub! Sleaze was good in them old days!

In Hamburg... June 1979 when on the MAREE, we were coming back from a run ashore. The taxi couldn't find the road to the ship so he just dumped us in the middle of a building site. We could see the ship but not how to get to her. There was a fence in the way, about seven feet high. We were trying to figure out how to climb the fence. One could get over but how to help the other one up. We were at the falling about stage.... literally. Anyhow, we finall realise that Jane and Bill Donovan's wife are already on the other side and are shouting at us. We are trying to figure out how in hell's name they got over and we couldn't. Then we realize that they are shouting that the end of the fence was only about 30 foot away!

Stephen

xdenholm
10th December 2006, 09:14
stephen, talking of run ashore , i remember mike sitting in the ,think it was the harbour bar, was that golfito, limon or la ceiba ?and dave bissett c/eng comming in shouting everone back to the ship,ships sailing, comming up the stairs still shouting get your a--ses out here ,the ships sailing, i was just upstairs looking....honest! never seen so many crew crawl out from under the doors, when everyone was out dave said only kidding with a big grin on his face . the ba---td. it was really funny afterword though. dave was an old sea dog with a wicked sense of humour but i liked him a lot.he was big guy too(Jester)

Stephen J. Card
10th December 2006, 12:33
dave was an old sea dog with a wicked sense of humour but i liked him a lot.he was big guy too(Jester)

While LOMOND was tied up alongside in Fort de France.. loading 'nanas, all the passengers from the PACIFIC PRINCESS, moored astern of us) were walking up the dock... looking up and admiring the big white reefer. Davis Bisset appears out on boat deck... in the roasting tropicl sunshine... wearing nothing but e/r boots and a dark blue duffel coat. When he is sure the little old ladies are watching he open the coat and gives them all a big flash. The Full Monty!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

PS... Spoke to Mike yesterday. He will sign up to these boards. Probably to delete slanderous material!!!!

xdenholm
11th December 2006, 09:05
stephen yes i remember the pacific princess to.(the love boat) think we were in san jose, we tried to get on her but were given the heave on trying to get on , probably they remembered big dave...lol ended up in a cock roach ladden bar somewhere uptown,some of these stories you mention are like i,ve been there ,the fence to climb when the enterance was only metres away, the fuel spill in the nite, i heard that one about big dave and the dufflecoat, think it was mike that told me.he was old school but a very funny man when he wanted to be.he was in his late 50.s then i think and is probably gone now. ps quite interesting you were in touch with mike,think you got a lot of experences with him yourself, starting as cadets, good.did you always stay in touch ?now dont black mail him now stephen...lol

xdenholm
12th December 2006, 16:18
just found out that a ship mv ice music grt 10808t had a fire onboard in october 2004 while in ballast in the baltic recorded as a reefer with damage to the superstructure put down as technical factor, the loch maree i beleive
just as a matter of interest to anyone whom sailed on her.dosent say what repair or any had taken place afterwards.may have lay somewhere burnt till sold for scrap by owners in july2006 it may have been her end then ,to old to repair.also detention order placed in march 2004 which makes it a bit suspicious in the first place thus endith the maree was go to page 19 website is www.helcom.fi/stc/files/shipping/ship%20accidents%202004.pdf
also page 17 web address www.tokyo-mou.org/dtn0304.pdf

pentlandpirate
16th December 2006, 17:26
I forget who forgot to secure the side loading door on No4 hold as Loch Lomond left Puerto Limon late 1979. As Deck Cadet I was responsible for bilge soundings. Woke up one morning to find everyone pointing finger at me accusing me of flogging (making up) the soundings. During the night the cooling fans in the hold had stopped working, only for the lecky to discover they were under water!

It was only later that a vigilant lookout on watch was leaning over the bridgewing as the ship rolled, and noticed some unexpected movement. As the ship rolled to starboard and more of the vessels hull became visible above the waterline, he saw the side loading door closing. As the ship rolled the other way the door opened up, took a huge gulp of seawater and closed again as the ship rolled back the other way again!!!!

Crucially the hydraulic controls for the door were right next to it in the hold, but the hold was stacked to the top with boxes of bananas. The only acces to the hold (without opening the main hatches at sea) was to go in through the small man hatch on the stbd side. So all hands were called to perform a Great Escape tunnelling exercise, one man first pulling a box out, and passing it back down the line, as they worked their way across the hold. A huge number of boxes had to be pulled out, and dumped and when they got to the side by the door an even larger area had to be cleared to ensure the door could be closed securely.

Might have flogged the soundings once or twice in my life. Afterall you try and determine where the water level is after you've dipped a brass rod with chalk on it down a damp rusty pipe to the bilge, and then read it accurately as the spray breaks over your head on deck.

At least the Lecky and 2nd Eng was good enough to apologise to me afterwards!

Stephen J. Card
16th December 2006, 20:27
I forget who forgot to secure the side loading door on No4 hold as Loch Lomond left Puerto Limon late 1979. As Deck Cadet I was responsible for bilge soundings. Woke up one morning to find everyone pointing finger at me accusing me of flogging (making up) the soundings. During the night the cooling fans in the hold had stopped working, only for the lecky to discover they were under water!

It was only later that a vigilant lookout on watch was leaning over the bridgewing as the ship rolled, and noticed some unexpected movement. As the ship rolled to starboard and more of the vessels hull became visible above the waterline, he saw the side loading door closing. As the ship rolled the other way the door opened up, took a huge gulp of seawater and closed again as the ship rolled back the other way again!!!!

Crucially the hydraulic controls for the door were right next to it in the hold, but the hold was stacked to the top with boxes of bananas. The only acces to the hold (without opening the main hatches at sea) was to go in through the small man hatch on the stbd side. So all hands were called to perform a Great Escape tunnelling exercise, one man first pulling a box out, and passing it back down the line, as they worked their way across the hold. A huge number of boxes had to be pulled out, and dumped and when they got to the side by the door an even larger area had to be cleared to ensure the door could be closed securely.

Might have flogged the soundings once or twice in my life. Afterall you try and determine where the water level is after you've dipped a brass rod with chalk on it down a damp rusty pipe to the bilge, and then read it accurately as the spray breaks over your head on deck.

I remember hearing about this. I was on MAREE at the time. Who was the Mate? I think either George Morrison or Bill Donovan might have been there.

There was a very simple rule on the LOCH LOMOND regarding the side doors. From the beginning only the mates were allowed to open and close the doors. Roger Mackrell... Mate that brought the LOMOND out started it we kept to it. When I went to the MAREE I found that everyone and the Chief Cook were allowed to operate the doors. Not a good practice. Today you would probably need a signed order from teh Master and a hundred signed copies to get the job done!

When I went to Uiterwyk Lines as mate in the POLAR URUGUAY... beautiful ship, we also had a set of banana doors in the A Deck. Not quite as elaborate at those on the LOCH boats. The POLAR boats were rarely on the banana trades so the mate before me decided to putty up the doors to stop the inevitable rust stain down the side. In my eight months on board we were always carrying freezer cargo and never used the doors. I never had the opportunity to even open them up for inspection. Anyhow, I guess about a year later, Uiterwyk went bust and the POLAR URUGUAY was briefly managed by Denholms and Mike Pride was superintendent. He callled me regarding the doors. It turned out that the 'putty' that the previouus mate used on the doors was 'liquid steel' and they could upen the damn doors!

Stephen

pentlandpirate
16th December 2006, 22:37
The name George Morrison rings a bell.............was he a Geordie? I remember the crew were greasing the hinges in port before we left. Was it because there was no power for the hydraulics while we were in port that they were never secured? Can't quite remember 27 years ago!

But can remember we had to do cargo watch before going ashore. Still trying to come to terms that I discovered I had gone with the same girl, when I got ashore, that our revolting fat radio officer had been with a few hours earlier..........eughhhh!!

Stephen J. Card
17th December 2006, 00:51
The name George Morrison rings a bell.............was he a Geordie? I remember the crew were greasing the hinges in port before we left. Was it because there was no power for the hydraulics while we were in port that they were never secured? Can't quite remember 27 years ago!

But can remember we had to do cargo watch before going ashore. Still trying to come to terms that I discovered I had gone with the same girl, when I got ashore, that our revolting fat radio officer had been with a few hours earlier..........eughhhh!!

Yes, I think George was a Geordie. George and I shared the LOMOND for about 18 months before I was sent to the MAREE. My own personal preference was for the LOMOND.

Ah, the things that were done in Banana ports!

A night or two before the LOMOND sailed on her maiden voyage from Greencock several of us went up to Glasgow for a night on the town. I can cut of the specifics, but at about 11pm we met up again on the train heading back to the ship. Our Irish carpenter, Jimmy Murphy was in the compartment with us. Gave us all a very serious lecture. Something about being on a fine ship and the "young gentlemen would be better not to go 'bagging off' in all these foreign ports that we were heading to." Foreign ports? Home port was where the rot set in!

Stephen

Rothesay Mike
17th December 2006, 09:58
What is this bagging off you speak of, sounds interesting, is it a religious ceremony?

Good man George Morrision by the way, after sailing with him on Loch Maree, we were on the Coastal Corpus Christi together. From the sublime to the ridiculous you could say.

And by the way the Loch Lomond could not hold a candle to the Loch Maree, remeber we had a swiming pool, sorry a portable ballast tank.

xdenholm
17th December 2006, 11:28
What is this bagging off you speak of, sounds interesting, is it a religious ceremony?

Good man George Morrision by the way, after sailing with him on Loch Maree, we were on the Coastal Corpus Christi together. From the sublime to the ridiculous you could say.

And by the way the Loch Lomond could not hold a candle to the Loch Maree, remeber we had a swiming pool, sorry a portable ballast tank.
yes i agree the maree is best ...lol.yes i remember holding you under the water in the swiming pool when we had a party round it with the deckys and engineers, but let you up since you were 2/eng and a good guy.(Jester) and my boss.with your pull in bangladesh any pics of maree beached for us all.probably still being scrapped it was a big B&W engine she had, to break with hammers[=P] was costal corpus not one of the ships that were attacked in karg island or am i thinking of burmha endeavour in may 1988? baggin off thats an old marine expression that i.ve not heard in a long time ,mike you use to say "getting your nasties" but with protection i take it?..lol

pentlandpirate
17th December 2006, 17:00
So who painted this ...see attachment? Can't remember where it was on board. Was it outside old mans cabin or in the bar? Bet Maree didn't have one of these!

PSI am sticking pictures of Coastal Corpus Christi, Loch Lomond, Nordic Clansman, etc in Gallery right now. Only allowed six per day. Xdenholm do you want some pics of Loch Lomond engineroom/control room to bring back some memories???

Stephen J. Card
17th December 2006, 17:44

Herr von Pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to SN!

Bagging off. Yes, definitely a kind of religious ceremoney. Well, she kept shouting "Oh God!" Anyhow, lets keep the conversation clean!

Bloody swimming pool on the MAREE. More than once I wanted to dump that damn thing overboard. On one voyge... I think right at the end, I 'launched' it overboard... floated it aft and put it on on the after deck so I wouldn't see the damn thing from the bridge.

I was just watching a documentary last night about the assination of Lord Mountbatten. I was sitting in your cabin when the news came through. I think we were at anchor outside Shields at the time waiting to go into drydock.

Hey... the LOMOND was faster!!!!

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
17th December 2006, 17:51
[QUOTE=pentlandpirate;95127]So who painted this ...see attachment? Can't remember where it was on board. Was it outside old mans cabin or in the bar? Bet Maree didn't have one of these!

QUOTE]

Ouch! That would be mine. It was hung in the Officer's "Wardroom"on the LOMOND.

Ah, look at that. Not a spot of rust. Talk about artistic license!!!!

Here we are some 30 years and about 520 painting later... the style has changed a bit!

I know someone claimed this painting when the ship was sold. I think it might have been 'Orkney' Smith.

Stephen

pentlandpirate
17th December 2006, 18:21
I thought it might be you. Well it hung there for years and you can be very proud of it. I bet that made your heart glow!!!

I'llsend you and xdendolm a few more pics later............just for ole times sake!

Stephen J. Card
17th December 2006, 19:05
I thought it might be you. Well it hung there for years and you can be very proud of it. I bet that made your heart glow!!!

I'llsend you and xdendolm a few more pics later............just for ole times sake!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The photo you posted of the LOMOND at Brownsville.... a beauty! Any idea of the date? I left the ship at Tokyo on 27th April 1979. I'm glad to see that George kept her nice and clean.

The photo of her Armulles .... we called there in March that year. I was talking to a Panamanian lecturer on board a cruise ship recently and he was telling me about Armulles. No long a sleepy banana port the place has grown and now features large hotels etc all along the beach front. It is the place to go for the rich and famous in Panama. And we went there for free!

Nice shot of the LOMOND rolling in the swells.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Stephen

pentlandpirate
17th December 2006, 19:17
Hi Stephen,

Yes, she looked more like a cruise liner! I'm guessing we were in Brownsville about October 1979. Huge mosquitos and massive downpour. Picture of George attached.........can you confirm it's him?

Am slowly digging out photos that havent seen light of day for 27 years or so.
Can't stay long....off to Montreal on Friday to see some very special vietnamese friends from the Wellpark rescue. That's the problem with SN..we're living in the past!6405

Mike

pentlandpirate
17th December 2006, 19:33
A few more Loch Lomond/Maree memory joggers.

pentlandpirate
17th December 2006, 19:36
Loch Lomond 1979

Stephen J. Card
17th December 2006, 19:57
Hi Stephen,

Yes, she looked more like a cruise liner! I'm guessing we were in Brownsville about October 1979. Huge mosquitos and massive downpour. Picture of George attached.........can you confirm it's him?

Mike

That's George!

Stephen

pentlandpirate
17th December 2006, 20:10
Yes george. Got to Sheerness just before Christmas and he said in his Geordie accent, "you can go home". I was ecxpecting to stay on another month and I had to get him to repeat it twice for me to understand I was being paid off!!! Decent mate though!

Stephen J. Card
17th December 2006, 20:17
A few more Loch Lomond/Maree memory joggers.

The BBQ Deck! Excellent!

The table is one that I built. I got the design Ok but the proportions ere wrong. The seats were the right height off the deck but the top was about 8 inches too high. Uncomfortable to eat at but just right for swilling ale!

The BBQ itself... that was the second one the ship had. The first version was an 'upright' with the blower off the engine room forge attached to the side.

In February 1977 we loaded beef at BA, Fray Bentos and Montevideo. Before we dopped the pilot departing Montevideo the BBQ... built that afternoon... was flashed up on the Boat Deck. The Chief Steward grilled a great T Bone and took it up to Captain Houghton. When Houghtone enquired as tto the origin of the seak the Chief Steward told him that the 'crew bought the meat ashore'!!!!! On the voyage round to Callao we went through 20... TWENTY quarters of beef! Fortunately In Callao a a full sling of beef from No. 5 was dropped into the harbour and the tally was completely ruined and the 20 missing quarters were never discovered to be... missing! I must dig out the photo I have of the Mate... Roddy McLeod, cooking on the BBQ. What the police might call..."Class A Evidence"!

In Callao Roddy went up to see the Old Man about something. Houghton was entertaining in true P&O fashion... gins all round for the agents and their wives etc. The OM had been suffering a headache the day before...Roddy says gruffly, "By the way. How's your head today Cap'n? Houghton smiles and says, "Not bad Mr McLeod. And how is yours? Roddy... true to form... replies, "Aw Cap'n, there be fu*k all wrong with me heed. It's me ****. I've had the sh*ts all day!"

Poor Roddy, fell from grace later on. Bill Harvey put him ashore... literally, just a few minutes before sailing from one port. When he sobered up he didn't have a clue where he was. He came bck for one more trip but blotted his copy book again and that was the end.

When you entered his cabin you had to walk slowly.. so as not to disturb the cigarette ash all over the carpet. He used to keep his little glass of 'something strong' in the port box overlooking the foredeck. Well, it was the best place... the AC outlet just below keep it cool!

Oh....later, after that Cllao voyage, John Corrin wrote and told me that the rumor going around the MAREE was that myself and the Chief Steward had flogged 200 tonnes of beef. I think I could have retired long ago if it were true. 200 tonnes would be about the full capacity of 5A Deck!!!!

Stephen

pentlandpirate
17th December 2006, 20:27
There are more photos, but unfortunately too few 'Human' ones. It was the people who made a trip, and although I have other photos, I wish I had taken some of the piss ups, just to remember the faces.

But I'm glad these few have brought back such memories for you...........I suspect the painting was the biggest surprise for you!

Mike

Stephen J. Card
17th December 2006, 20:40
There are more photos, but unfortunately too few 'Human' ones. It was the people who made a trip, and although I have other photos, I wish I had taken some of the piss ups, just to remember the faces.

But I'm glad these few have brought back such memories for you...........I suspect the painting was the biggest surprise for you!

Mike

I agree completely. I was never much into photography and now I regret it. Can you imagine if we had digital cameras and viseos in those day. Blackmail!!!!

That painting... yes, a few old ones surface here and there, Makes me weep!

Talking about painting..... Mike Pride was one that liked to direct painting ops in the E/R. If I remember correctly he preferred a blue engine and the other 2/E... Harry.... can't remember his name... preferred a green engine, so every six months or so it got changed. Mike's idea of having the inside of the rocker arms painted orange was a nice touch.

I had the same experience with George. I had all the deck machinery painted grey and George preferred red... same as the decks. Whenever George was due back I would give everything a fresh coat of grey so that George wouln't have to touch them while I was on leave. I was later told that the day he heard that I'd been sent to the MAREE permanently, he told the bosun to paint the winches red!

I see in one of the photos (the Brownsville shot) that the LOMOND is flying a stem jack. I paid for that out of my own pocket! We also flew a big 5 yard red ensign. As befitting the flagship of the 'Reefer Division'!

Stephen

pentlandpirate
17th December 2006, 20:59
Hi Stephen,

You remind me of something! So it was you. As a third trip cadet, painting was our job: had to paint crane hooks signal red: had to mix two tins of epoxy resin and paint inside of fresh water tanks (had to request respirators it was that bad); had to unblock J/E toilet with scupper gun (he had let his bog fill to brim, and everything blew back!); Had to paint round 'BBQ' deck, etc etc.

But one day (a Friday) had to paint crane hooks signal red. Emergency drill was at 4.00pm or something so in good time we went to focsle to put the paint away and clean the brushes. I said to the first tripper, you put the paint away in the racks, I'll clean the brushes. And so I bent to clean the brushes in thinners while he raeched to put the paint in the racks. The F@$^ing Tw'% only overbalanced as the ship rolled and poured the whole tin of signal red over my head!!! I couldn't believe it. Signal red streaming down my face, down my neck into my boilersuit, right down into my boots.

Knowing the alarm would go off any minute and I would be stuck in my Emergency position with fast drying paint setting on my head, i ran down the deck, picked up two new tins of a Japanese Swarfega equaivalent and dived in the shower. The Swarfega only thined the paint, so as the alarm rang I ran to the bridge with signal red streaming off the top off my head. Nobody asked if I was OK, with what appeared to be blood gushing out of my head. I just got a bollocking for running down the deck from Harvey!!!

Got my own back on the first tripper by making him pull the trigger on the scupper gun to unblock the J/E toilet. Even though he pulled the shower curtain across to try to protect him, he was covered in the toilets content!! I had to move fast as he chased me out of the accomodation screaming for revenge!!!

pentlandpirate
17th December 2006, 22:35
I see in one of the photos (the Brownsville shot) that the LOMOND is flying a stem jack. I paid for that out of my own pocket! We also flew a big 5 yard red ensign. As befitting the flagship of the 'Reefer Division'!

You try and get the damned thing down in a force 9 or so like I had to do on this day without being dragged off the ship!

PP

Stephen J. Card
18th December 2006, 00:04
You try and get the damned thing down in a force 9 or so like I had to do on this day without being dragged off the ship!

PP

Ah, but who left it up after dropping the pilot? ;-)

Reminds me of my second trip in WARWICK FORT. We had four lifeboats on the after deck. Instead of the usual canvas cover she has interlocking fiberglass rigid slats covering each boat. Coming down the South China Sea, some of the covers came adrift so the mate sent me out in the middle of the storm to put some lashings on. It is a wonder I didn't go overboard.

And the LOMOND... I nearly did go overboard one morning... about 0500. Rolling as usual and the decks were wet. I went out to walk around the back of the funnel to see if all was well on the afterdeck. She took a roll and I slipped on the deck and went straight to the side. A bit more momentum and I'd have been over the side for sure.

Stephen

xdenholm
18th December 2006, 08:43
So who painted this ...see attachment? Can't remember where it was on board. Was it outside old mans cabin or in the bar? Bet Maree didn't have one of these!

PSI am sticking pictures of Coastal Corpus Christi, Loch Lomond, Nordic Clansman, etc in Gallery right now. Only allowed six per day. Xdenholm do you want some pics of Loch Lomond engineroom/control room to bring back some memories???pentland pirate mike yes lets see your pics, my mate sailed on lomond ,77/78 any of maree?[=P]

Stephen J. Card
18th December 2006, 11:19
pentland pirate mike yes lets see your pics, my mate sailed on lomond ,77/78 any of maree?[=P]

Do a search in the Gallery for LOCH LOMOND. A brand new photograph appeared earlier today. Shows the LOMOND at anchor at Tail of the Bank after completion trials off arran. Looks immaculate. After drydocking in Greenock we were ready to sail anywhere...hopefully for some exotic New Zealand port to load a full cargo of 'Dead Woolies' back for the UK. Not to be. Our maiden voyage was only as far as Dublin and we spent a week there load sh*t.... bags of fertilizer for discharge in Guanta, Venezuela. Voyage No. 2 was to New Zealand... Bluff. Unfortunately it wasn't for discharge in some decent European port... we headed for the Gulf to discharge in Khoramshahr.

Stephen

xdenholm
18th December 2006, 15:11
Do a search in the Gallery for LOCH LOMOND. A brand new photograph appeared earlier today. Shows the LOMOND at anchor at Tail of the Bank after completion trials off arran. Looks immaculate. After drydocking in Greenock we were ready to sail anywhere...hopefully for some exotic New Zealand port to load a full cargo of 'Dead Woolies' back for the UK. Not to be. Our maiden voyage was only as far as Dublin and we spent a week there load sh*t.... bags of fertilizer for discharge in Guanta, Venezuela. Voyage No. 2 was to New Zealand... Bluff. Unfortunately it wasn't for discharge in some decent European port... we headed for the Gulf to discharge in Khoramshahr.

Stephencheers stephen,any experences with pineapples .not sexual ones but cargoes, remember the dead insects in the hold after discharging how they all looked the same colour as the pineapple but f....king thousands of diffrent types,crew use to brush them up would be nasty in someones piece if you were out to get them thats is ! one of the most revolting sights, i remember some daft locust belted itsself off the bulkhead and smashed its head in lots of green puss ouzing out, only to be found mysteriously in the lecky wifes shoe,think her name was jane or something,cant remember his?(Jester) heard the scream down the engineroom!!!

Stephen J. Card
18th December 2006, 20:56
cheers stephen,any experences with pineapples .not sexual ones but cargoes, remember the dead insects in the hold after discharging how they all looked the same colour as the pineapple but f....king thousands of diffrent types,crew use to brush them up would be nasty in someones piece if you were out to get them thats is ! one of the most revolting sights, i remember some daft locust belted itsself off the bulkhead and smashed its head in lots of green puss ouzing out, only to be found mysteriously in the lecky wifes shoe,think her name was jane or something,cant remember his?(Jester) heard the scream down the engineroom!!!

Nope. Never did a pineapple cargo or a fish cargo.... on the LOCH boats anyway. Once did a run with dried salted cod from Flushing to Luanda in the POLAR URUGUAY.

Once on LOMOND or MAREE... can't remember which, I went around the tween decks doing an inspection after the crew had finished hold cleaning. I spotted soemthing sitting on top of a beam ledge.... one shrivelled and dried out chicken carcass. The ship hadn't carried frozen chook for about six month!!!!

In one port we arrived ready to load. The surveyor wanted to walk around all of the tween decks to inspect for cleanliness etc. I asked him where he wanted to start so he pointed to the access to 4A and wanted to go there first. We climbed down into the space. He looked for about a minute and asked, "Are they all like this?" I told him they were and he said, "Well there is no pointing in checking this lot!"

Hold on our reefers eere spotless compared to some other reefers that we saw. Even Salen themselves with the SNOW boats never cleaned as much as we did. On some boats they didn't even bother to sweep up, never mind wash down and sanitize!

Stephen

pentlandpirate
18th December 2006, 21:24
Right pain it was lifting all the floor boards and sweeping under them! Who's idea was it to put red outlined walkways or something on the boards? Once you had lifted the boards to sweep it was a right puzzle to replace them all so the red lines matched up!

Stephen J. Card
19th December 2006, 00:58
Right pain it was lifting all the floor boards and sweeping under them! Who's idea was it to put red outlined walkways or something on the boards? Once you had lifted the boards to sweep it was a right puzzle to replace them all so the red lines matched up!

Red paintline on the edges of the boards at the hatchway was easier than rigging safety lines!!!! ;-)

Hey.... you should have done your cadetship with Shaw Savill. You know how it was done on the LOCH boats when it came to closing up. The mate and cadet on watch would between them, operate the crane, close the deck and then lay the gratings. The first time I was closing up a compartment on the ICENIC, the cadet says, "I'll go and turn out the crew." This was in the middle of the night. No way did their mates and cadets handle any of the gear. The bosun and perhaps six guys would be called... no matter what the hour. Granted it it was a wee bit more difficult to close up on the ICENIC. Beams, plugs, paper & tape, felt sheets and then finally the hatchboards No wonder they went out of business!

From Shaw Savill's Company Rule Book: Officers on cargo watch are expected to be in the correct uniform at all times. In the tropics, No. 10 tunic and cap with white cloth cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

pentlandpirate
21st December 2006, 22:14
Specially for XDENHOLM!!
Some pics of Loch Lomond engine room. The engineer cadet was Duncan someone.........? This was sept-oct 1979. Hope this brings back happy memories. You owe me a few beers already, specially as I am trying to catch aflight to Canada in the morning

pentlandpirate
21st December 2006, 22:20
Just for XDENHOLM, and I don't even know who he is! Perhaps you recognise the cadet's cabin too

I've more pics too, but you'll have to wait till next year! Merry Christmas!

xdenholm
22nd December 2006, 09:41
Just for XDENHOLM, and I don't even know who he is! Perhaps you recognise the cadet's cabin too

cheers mike, merry christmass ,catch you after new year have a nice time in montreal[=P]
regards xdenholm,

Tony Breach
22nd December 2006, 10:04
Attn: Stephen Card.

Did I know you in Uiterwyk? I was there for 7 years finishing in 82 when the ITF took my ship POLAR BRASIL in Genoa.

Regards, Tony.

xdenholm
22nd December 2006, 10:24
Specially for XDENHOLM!!
Some pics of Loch Lomond engine room. The engineer cadet was Duncan someone.........? This was sept-oct 1979. Hope this brings back happy memories. You owe me a few beers already, specially as I am trying to catch aflight to Canada in the morningmike newton a few beers i think i owe you a full keg,just seen your pic of queen mary in long beach, i was on her to ,! ! ,good luck to ,hope you find what your looking for,

Stephen J. Card
22nd December 2006, 19:41
Attn: Stephen Card.

Did I know you in Uiterwyk? I was there for 7 years finishing in 82 when the ITF took my ship POLAR BRASIL in Genoa.

Regards, Tony.

Hallo Tony,

I've seen your name in copies of "FULL ASTERN" for sure.

I joined Uiterwyk in July '81 on was sent to the POLAR URUGUAY as C/O. Brian Hills was Master, Mike Sellars was 2/O. Jan van Vlaardingen was Chief Engineer. Schrecko Melada was 2/E... Robert Hodgson was 3/E

I came off the ship in February '82, took one week leave and then went to Glasgow for a couple of weeks to brush up on a bit of rules etc to sit Master's orals. I was back in Bermuda no more than two weeks when Captain Saunders called to tell me that he wanted me to go to Yokohama to join PYRAMIDS U. I tried to put him off as I had not had any real leave. Saunders says, "Oh, you are going out as Master!" Within 18 hours I was on my way to Japan!!!! The big carrot! 29 years old!

Anyhow, I did my contract then was relieved in Alexandria. Went back to Bermuda and as I suspected all was not well with Uiterwyk, I decided to take up an appointment as Queen's Harbour Master in Bermuda.

I must admit that I enjoyed my time with Uiterwyk. The Eygptian boat was a bit on the rough side and some routines on board were rather sloppy. First weekend I asked the mate what the routine was for weekly inspections. He says, "We don't do that crap on here." Needless to say there was an inspection of the accommodation, stores etc the next day! The crew didn't like it, but when I told the mate to spend some evening overtime inside the accommodation, painting bathrooms and crew areas etc they came around pretty damn quick.

POLAR URUGUAY I enjoyed very much. I almost got her for my first command. Hills wanted me to take over while he was on leave. I could have done. The ticket was not a problem. Before I joined Uiterwyk I went to Reston Va and sat a Liberian Master's examination.... had to as I didn't have the seatime for Master's orals in the UK.

I found out later that Hills did a dirty number on me while I was with him. When the URUGUAY passed briefly into Denhom management Mike Pride contacted me with some questions about the ship. I had left Uiterwyk so I wasn't telling stories out of school. Anyhow, the charters were telling Mike that they had put a lot of money on board each voyage to pay the crew for hold cleaning. In the eight months I did on board I certainly never saw any payments for cleaning. It was all done on normal day's work and some evening overtime when necessary. It turned out that Hills did receive money for hold cleaning but he kept the bloody lot for himself. In the meanwhile I was working field days, two watches each day plus at least 7 hours down in the holds sweeping and washing down with the crew. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Did you ever sail with Waldemeir? "Captain Fantastic"? Great stories about him... must have been a nightmare for the owners!

Stephen

Rothesay Mike
23rd December 2006, 09:04
Captain Von Waldemeir, I remember him.

One of the more slippy characters I have had the misfortune to deal with.

We got involved in the death throes of Uiterwyk working for the banks when we managed Polar Uruguay and Polar Columbia at the end of their lives.

Nice ships which must have been something in their time. The machinery was well shot at the end, no money spent for a long time.

It got very messy at the the end with the good Captain up to his neck in it. It would appear he was not the only one at it, sad sad sad when our own kind steal our hard earned cash.

You should ask John Corrin about Captain V W, he sailed with him as our eyes and ears onboard!

Rothesay Mike
23rd December 2006, 09:15
Guys,

Your photo's are great, as are your memories.

My life onboard was dominated by British Polar's finest. Never before or since have I come accross such junk.

Any photos of them would make my day, how sad is that?

However the delights of South America, Long Beach and Hamburg etc and not to forget Miss Tokyo 1979 (bit of a bow wow) made it all the better.

Talking on "things" from the cargo, during a bannana discharge in Long Beach the boys found a dead iguana and hung it outside my cabin door.

They retired to a safe distance to wait for my then young wife to appear. All were rewarded with much howling and screaming. Cracker!

I will have a root about and see if I can find any photo's, something for 2007.

All the best to everone for Christmas and New Year. I am told this is not PC but who cares.

xdenholm
23rd December 2006, 16:27
yes polars v8 s( been in british polar works a few times over the years) i.ve still got the scars on my fingers from fitting those damn exhaust ghaskets on the maree that had the reinforce wire thro the middle,remember how awkward it was to get your hand in and line it up with cylinder head, give me a ruston paxman anyday,or how the exhaust mainfold glowed yellow when that stupid arrangement of air start v/v use to jam open. Declan !from your company ,my mate i seen a few weeks ago , the one from the lomond too .knows him, and has talked a few times with him. though he knows more of the lads from v ship, were you not the one whom went to polar during your leave to find out about the special tool for tightening the big ends as it says in the manual only to find out it was the same tool we were using a 3/4 drive socket with a 6 foor tube on the end to tghten to the required torque!!!?
i know pics were taken at that pool of the marees and L.A.when we were there, lomond was faster someone said(stephen) but maree was quality!!!

Tony Breach
23rd December 2006, 20:59
Hi Stephen & Mike,

No, I never sailed with Waldemeir as I was master all the time I was with the company. He releived me on the Polar Ecuador in December 81. The port engineers & Capt Hanily were determined to get him out of the Polar Colombia & he was forced to releive me which was a pain as I had only been on board for 6 months & it was my custom to do 9 on & 3 off. He was really peed off because all his gear was on the Colombia including his TV & car; yes car.

I always heard that Brian Hills was a good guy but never met him. Who was the charterer who paid the bonus? There was never anything from OFO although United Brands used to pay the master a fair amount for using the Mosquito channel from Turbo/Limon/Xtobal up to Tela or Cortes. Bruns used to pay one "if the gangway was down quickly" on arrival Hamburg. Not very much and the mate used it to take the bosun & the lads up the road when possible.

The worst problem I came up against (apart from a serious fire and bad heavy weather damage - both on the Playas) was when I first joined that ship in Avonmouth in autumn 79. The old man, Harmen Roders a good guy & a friend was fired for putting some bullets into the chief engineers door & I got a pierhead jump. Harmen told me all about the problems before he left: The chief was running the whole Filipino crew & some of the officers on the Hamburg - Ecuador supply line business to the tune of over $10,000 per voyage. He was then screwing the crew by telling them that the prices were not good in Ecuador & they were doing all the fetching & carrying for very little return on their investment. I had a long discussion with Charlie McKenzie about this & the chief, a native of an eastern mediterranean, predominently island, nation with a blue & white striped flag, was fired. The Filipinos were given all the stuff after paying the company a token for freight & the ship was happy again. That was until the ex-chief turned up at the next Guayaquil call: I think the Filipinos made a bit of a mess of him but it was ashore so not my concern! Then one of the ABs married the wife of the master previous to Harmen who had gone to live in a kibbutz with his boyfriend - they were a nice couple (the heteros) & I was happy to be able to help them a little with his entry into the Netherlands.

You were on the Pyramids U, Stephen. Which one? I was on the original, the ex Philippine President Magsaysay which was absolute keerap! I had very good friends in the chief engineer Peter Duvalois & the 1st engineer Bertus van Eijk, but everything was bad about that ship. The final straw was that with only 150m3 space underdeck they booked 800m3 plywood out of Sembawang for Alex. The ship had no bunkers left & I told them no way could we do it - even with full bunkers. I got a normal reply over the phone: "OK Cap, load as much as you can & let us know. I rechecked the stability calculations, lifted some known weights to check the result & loaded on deck until she slowly (not that slowly) took an angle of loll. Then took off 50 tons & phoned Tampa. I was instructed to sign the mate's receipts as they needed the freight to keep the ship running & buy bunkers. I argued my case to no avail and cut a deal: I would sign the mate's receipts & they would send me home immediatley & the agent would issue the B/Ls & the ship would take bunkers & load on deck about 300m3 & sail with a relief master. To Make sure I went to the doctor with high blood pressure - that at least was proved true. My relief duly arrived & visited me at my hotel & I wished him well - it was his 1st command.

You will most probably understand that, although I had served my time with a reputable British company & had risen through the ranks to be master, also at age 29 with Geest - a first class company, I consider Uiterwyk to have been my real apprenticeship with a hard nosed commercial outfit & if they were to say "we're back in business", I'd be on the plane tomorrow. Without my experiences with them I would never have attained the later positions I held with a major shipping organisation.

The Uiterwyk survivors were excellent merchant seamen!

Tony.

Stephen J. Card
23rd December 2006, 21:38
Tony,

Mike should remember who the charters were at the time.

The only backhander I ever received was from CGM on a charter to the West Indies with general on the LOCH LOMOND. I got ten punds!!!! I gave it to the cadets. I think even they were disappointed!

On the whole Hills was a good fellow to sail with. We had a few shouting matches..... which I won... but other than that I was quite happy to sail with him. I suppose I'll cut him some slack over the bonus payments as I don't know that he ever received them.

My first trip master was on the Magsaysay. Crap is right. A big fall from grace after the URUGUAY!

My problem on board was with radar.. or rather, lack of it! My first port of call was Pusan... in driving rain... and the damn radar packed up as were were in the approach channel. The sparkie knew nothing about radar and the second mate did! He was Russian trained in electronics. I was impressed! Anyhow the damn thing never worked properly again and I could never get parts. Eventually I just got used to working without it. When my relief eventually came on board I informed him of the situation and the first thing he did was tell Cairo to put a new set on board or he was leaving I wish I'd thought of that!

One of the bosses from Cairo came aboard in Alex to tell me we were doing a load line survey next day. I told him he was out of his head and took him down onto the deck and calmly inserted my fist betwen the hatch cover and coaming. She was rotten.

I visited the SPHINX U in Suez anchorage. Rodney Stone-Pearne was master there. She wasnt any better than the PYRAMIDS but at least our Lecky didn't go into the masthouses and cut all the power cables!!!!

Unlike you I didn't serve my time with a reputable British shipping company. I served my time with Denholms!!!!! ;-)

Happy Christmas!

Stephen

T

You were on the Pyramids U, Stephen. Which one? I was on the original, the ex Philippine President Magsaysay which was absolute keerap! I had very good friends in the chief engineer Peter Duvalois & the 1st engineer Bertus van Eijk, but everything was bad about that ship. The final straw was that with only 150m3 space underdeck they booked 800m3 plywood out of Sembawang for Alex. The ship had no bunkers left & I told them no way could we do it - even with full bunkers. I got a normal reply over the phone: "OK Cap, load as much as you can & let us know. I rechecked the stability calculations, lifted some known weights to check the result & loaded on deck until she slowly (not that slowly) took an angle of loll. Then took off 50 tons & phoned Tampa. I was instructed to sign the mate's receipts as they needed the freight to keep the ship running & buy bunkers. I argued my case to no avail and cut a deal: I would sign the mate's receipts & they would send me home immediatley & the agent would issue the B/Ls & the ship would take bunkers & load on deck about 300m3 & sail with a relief master. To Make sure I went to the doctor with high blood pressure - that at least was proved true. My relief duly arrived & visited me at my hotel & I wished him well - it was his 1st command.

You will most probably understand that, although I had served my time with a reputable British company & had risen through the ranks to be master, also at age 29 with Geest - a first class company, I consider Uiterwyk to have been my real apprenticeship with a hard nosed commercial outfit & if they were to say "we're back in business", I'd be on the plane tomorrow. Without my experiences with them I would never have attained the later positions I held with a major shipping organisation.

The Uiterwyk survivors were excellent merchant seamen!

Tony.[/QUOTE]

Tony Breach
23rd December 2006, 22:14
Stephen,

I wish you a happy christmas also. May you always have dry socks & a cashable pay check at the end of the month!

Tony.

Stephen J. Card
24th December 2006, 04:51
Stephen,

I wish you a happy christmas also. May you always have dry socks & a cashable pay check at the end of the month!

Tony.

Tony,

Cashable pay check at the end of the month? :-) I have not had one of those since December 1983!!!!!!!!

When I paid off POLAR URUGUAY in Fremantle in '82 I was taken to Perth airport for an 0600 flight to Sydney with onward connections to Los Angeles, New York and then Bermuda. Qantas had my reservation but no tickets so I purchased a one way to Sydney, hoping that the agent of Head Office had set up tickets there. On arrrival Sydney, no ticket. Purchased another one way to Los Angeles and then on to New York and finally Bermuda. Fare was something like $2,000. A lot of money in them days! When I joined PYRAMIDS just over a month later, the first job I did was write out my joining expense form and pay myself cash out of the safe. I was lucky. I heard some of the guys lost a lot when the company folded.

Who was the master that traded the DRUCILLA U around the Med for a few months after the company ceased operations? Collecting freight and paying cash for bunkers etc. Probably works in the Baltic Exchange now!

Did you ever sail in the NILE U... the old Strick boat... GORGISTAN, I think? I was supposed to go to her but ended up as HM in Bermuda.

Best,

Stephen

xdenholm
24th December 2006, 09:12
[QUOTE=Stephen J. Card;96125]Tony,

[The only backhander I ever received was from CGM on a charter to the West Indies with general on the LOCH LOMOND. I got ten punds!!!! I gave it to the cadets. I think even they were disappointed!]

stephen hardly think you call that a back hander more of a nuisance factor, when i was on the troll ships the captain gave all the crew including the officers 12$ cold weather allowance ,cash( because of threats of mutiny working in -35c) suppose to be for thermals, most of us bought rum, that keeps the parts warm that the thermals dont! then is the c/engs selling scrap liners or bronze pump casings for cash any different, or is it perks of the job , but within reason,my brother on the other hand had £1.5m in cash in quite a few suitcases fom lloyds bank to give certain people in the gulf a leagal bribe to get things moving for a major oil company and it seems to be the way of things in that area.yes there are perks within reason and just plain stealing, ps stephen where in the uk could i buy one of your marine pictures,could be your first sale and pay cheque next year just remember i,m a scotsman(very poor you know..lol) or like to think i,m getting a bargin!or something like that do you have a web site perhaps, if not why not ,good business sense these days evn ebay will sell [=P]

Stephen J. Card
24th December 2006, 11:54
[

stephen hardly think you call that a back hander more of a nuisance factor, when i was on the troll ships the captain gave all the crew including the officers 12$ cold weather allowance ,cash( because of threats of mutiny working in -35c) suppose to be for thermals, most of us bought rum, that keeps the parts warm that the thermals dont! then is the c/engs selling scrap liners or bronze pump casings for cash any different, or is it perks of the job , but within reason,my brother on the other hand had 1.5m in cash in quite a few suitcases fom lloyds bank to give certain people in the gulf a leagal bribe to get things moving for a major oil company and it seems to be the way of things in that area.yes there are perks within reason and just plain stealing, ps stephen where in the uk could i buy one of your marine pictures,could be your first sale and pay cheque next year just remember i,m a scotsman(very poor you know..lol) or like to think i,m getting a bargin!or something like that do you have a web site perhaps, if not why not ,good business sense these days evn ebay will sell [=P]

On the Warwick Fort the mate tried to deny me my tot of rum after tank diving. When we came up on deck he gave a tot to each man but because I was the cadet he said I wasn't entitled!!!! Well, it was either a tot or a glass of milk. The milk being hard to come by he relented and gave me the tot. Better than any cash backhander!!!!!

Ah, you are in the market for a fine painting? No web site but you can find some pieces on 'Willem's Maritime Pages'. Google search should take you there. 99% of my work is commissioned... ie painted to order and as a result I don't keep a stock of anything. There are a few prints about and they turn up on EBAY once in a while. If you wish me to consider anything just drop me a line.

In the meanwhile... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

On this date...... 25th December... 1975.... m.s. LOCH LOMOND... at anchor Shatt al Arab outer anchorage. About 1400 hours... up on the bridge... after lunch in the crew's mess..... the officer's dined at noon and the crew at 1300... 3/O came up to relieve me for mine. Two 14lb turkeys between 37 crew. Not much to go around. We had been at anchor for three weeks. We had enough food for about another three days.

Anyhow... about 1400... SIG RAGNE calls up and says there is a tug alongside wout OUR reliefs on board!!!! Most of us had been due off for almost two months. The reliefs had been sitting in Basrah for a weeek before the agent sent them down. Told the tug to look for a 'white' ship. They went to ... SIG RAGNE aka FLAME THROWER. They then called us and sent the tug to the LOCH LOMOND aka ICEBERG. (All the ships at anchor at knicknames). When the tug arrived we were given just about an hour to pack our gear make some kind of handover and sign off. We then boarded the tug and sailed for Basrah.... arriving about midnight. We were then stranded in a hotel for five days finally getting home on the 31st December.

Oh... the agent knew we were running out of food. The tug that came out with the reliefs also broought out some food. One box of apples. One box of oranges. And a bloody box of bananas..... we had over 200,000 boxes of the dam things in the holds!!!!! I heard later that SIG RAGNE loaded the LOMOND some provisions.

Stephen

Tony Breach
24th December 2006, 12:13
Hi Stephen,

Never in the Nile U, when I was on the Pyramids U the master of the Nile U grounded her once with significant damage and after repairs had a collision with a major damage all in one voyage! It was of course his last.

I was in Vera U, Susie U, Playas, Pyramids U, Victoria U, P.Ecuador & P.Brasil.

Tony

douglasjamesmichael
24th December 2006, 12:25

In the Control Room Picture - the renegade with the head band per chance is that Ian Powrie?????

pentlandpirate
24th December 2006, 13:46
Hi DJM,

Yes that name rings a bell. I think it was Ian Powrie!

Mike

Gulpers
24th December 2006, 15:52
Yes, I think you are right guys.
I sailed with Ian when he was 4/E on Nordic Crusader. (Thumb)

xdenholm
24th December 2006, 18:06
good greif ,thats the name i,ve been trying to put to a face thanks DJM yes i sailed with ian powrie on the maree to , hes english to .or just spoke posh. cant remember if he was 4th or 3rd onboard, wee dave another englishman with a beard was 3rd but i was on her 61/2 months so seen 2 crew changes. ian beard was longer and blonder that i mind cheers for that do you know the name of the big reefer ,not wee alec the other one was it ian macaskill or is he the weather man? i sailed on nordic commander its sister joined in dubia it was alongside no ballast at all getting 5000t new steel plate seems they could not stop these ships from severe rust ! the to drydock for 2 weeks, got some really good pictures of that.

Gulpers
24th December 2006, 20:22
xd,

Ian Powrie was from Glasgow area - certainly not English.
Ian MacAskill was from Dunvegan, Skye. I sailed with him as 3/E on Troll River. (Thumb)

xdenholm
25th December 2006, 13:21
xd,

Ian Powrie was from Glasgow area - certainly not English.
Ian MacAskill was from Dunvegan, Skye. I sailed with him as 3/E on Troll River. (Thumb)

ray thanks, ian just spoke posh i remember now he was 3rd i was on 12-4 with him, funny thing recently i guy came into our office to deliver something,long beard slightly grey looked and spoke like ian, wish i,d asked him who he was now, no that picture does not remiind of ian powrie his beard and hair were definetly lighter ian was tall 6foot same as me. macaskill i was right then thanks for that (Thumb) i was 1yr on the trolls artic and park. got a picture of some of the crew somewhere , (Wave)

Gulpers
25th December 2006, 15:44
xdenholm,

Look forward to seeing your Troll crew pictures. I'm sure I'll know some of those guys. (Thumb)

xdenholm
28th December 2006, 11:37
mv ice music now arrived for scrapping in chittagong india 13/10/2006 reported also http://www.robindesbois.org/dossiers/BulletinNavires.pdf page 20 of course

Stephen J. Card
28th December 2006, 20:39
mv ice music now arrived for scrapping in chittagong india 13/10/2006 reported also http://www.robindesbois.org/dossiers/BulletinNavires.pdf page 20 of course

Sad.

Well, she had a damn good innings. Thirty years. Not bad at all. Not too many sships being built today will last as long. I wonder what kind of condition she was in at the end.

Back in 1980 we were in Long Beach loading citrus and I tooook a walk along the dock to have a look at some of the work the crew had been doing over the side. The master of a German reefer berthed astern of us walked up and looked for a few minutes. He says, "Very Nice." or "Zehr gut!" "How old is the ship? When I replied that she was four years old, he said, "Realy? She looks more like four months!"

Stephen

broadbandylegs
28th December 2006, 21:58
I was on the Loch Maree for 7 months as an apprentice - in fact I was asleep (in my bunk) when we hit the jetty going up the river to Antwerp! The thump woke me up. I still remember the queue of lawyers waiting on the quay at Antwerp when we docked.
Best trip of my shortish seagoing career! The perfect combination of people, ports and experiences. Mike Pride was 2/E, John Deacon C/E, Capts Dickson and Harvey, John Corrin/Roddy McLeod Mates, Eddie Thomas 3/O, Bob Dickson Sparky, can't remember any other names - where are they all now?
I should have a pile of photos in the loft somewhere - if I can find them (some hope!) I'll post them.

xdenholm
29th December 2006, 08:57
Sad.

Well, she had a damn good innings. Thirty years. Not bad at all. Not too many sships being built today will last as long. I wonder what kind of condition she was in at the end.

Back in 1980 we were in Long Beach loading citrus and I tooook a walk along the dock to have a look at some of the work the crew had been doing over the side. The master of a German reefer berthed astern of us walked up and looked for a few minutes. He says, "Very Nice." or "Zehr gut!" "How old is the ship? When I replied that she was four years old, he said, "Realy? She looks more like four months!"

Stephen

stephen although you say 30years i think she,d had it in 2004 when that detention order was placed and then caught fire in october 2004 mysteriously of course when the accomadation got blitzed, but yes she had a good life span more than lomond but then maree was quality...lol. pity we did not know any ships agents that mike p might have that could take a few farewell pics for us all in chittagong! eh stephen.[=P]

Stephen J. Card
29th December 2006, 11:43
stephen although you say 30years i think she,d had it in 2004 when that detention order was placed and then caught fire in october 2004 mysteriously of course when the accomadation got blitzed, but yes she had a good life span more than lomond but then maree was quality...lol. pity we did not know any ships agents that mike p might have that could take a few farewell pics for us all in chittagong! eh stephen.[=P]

A case of 'Helenic Lightning' I assume?

Ah, 25 to 30 years... a good long run. The Savill ship I was in, ICENIC, lasted just about 18 years. I was in her near the end...she wouldn't have lasted another seven or eight years.

Shortest lived... probably NORDIC CLANSMAN. Done in at the age of 7!!!!

Stephen

xdenholm
29th December 2006, 12:23
A case of 'Helenic Lightning' I assume?

Ah, 25 to 30 years... a good long run. The Savill ship I was in, ICENIC, lasted just about 18 years. I was in her near the end...she wouldn't have lasted another seven or eight years.

Shortest lived... probably NORDIC CLANSMAN. Done in at the age of 7!!!!

Stephen

yes i was on its sister nordic commander 8yrs that lasted, a pile of ****, great for steam time for your ticket , though cast narwhal (obo )was not much better i [=P] remember looking down no8 with a firm grip of the side only to the double bottom ripped open, the dockies just put plate over the gapping hole before the iron ore was put in ,just to hold the steel plates down you understand,

douglasjamesmichael
29th December 2006, 18:25
Mr Powrie was NOT from England - he originates from Calander, He joined the Loch Long as fourth and left a third ( Engr) Company Cadet.....we were on the Al Dhafra ( ADNATCO).

good greif ,thats the name i,ve been trying to put to a face thanks DJM yes i sailed with ian powrie on the maree to , hes english to .or just spoke posh. cant remember if he was 4th or 3rd onboard, wee dave another englishman with a beard was 3rd but i was on her 61/2 months so seen 2 crew changes. ian beard was longer and blonder that i mind cheers for that do you know the name of the big reefer ,not wee alec the other one was it ian macaskill or is he the weather man? i sailed on nordic commander its sister joined in dubia it was alongside no ballast at all getting 5000t new steel plate seems they could not stop these ships from severe rust ! the to drydock for 2 weeks, got some really good pictures of that.

xdenholm
29th December 2006, 19:17
Mr Powrie was NOT from England - he originates from Calander, He joined the Loch Long as fourth and left a third ( Engr) Company Cadet.....we were on the Al Dhafra ( ADNATCO).

exactly right DJM , i remember now that you mentioned callender,imagine me thinking he was english to , yes i sailed with him as 3rd eng on maree, blonde skinny with long blonde beard good guy i remember him grinding the exahust valves and showing me what to do , all of the guys on the maree were great guys to sail with from what i remember , some great runs ashore to. thanks DJ you got a really good memory to (Thumb) would ian be the same age as yourself or a little older to DJM yes al dhafrah 1974 269197tonnes[=P]

Gulpers
29th December 2006, 19:17

Yes DJM, you are right there. I remember now, Ian was from Callander. At least I knew he wasn't English! (==D)

andersjm1
13th January 2007, 16:33
Harbour bar, Golfito? Was that the place with the bar down stairs, and the knocking shop upstairs, which was open to the rafters and split into lots of individual cubicles, where (if you were lying on your back with your eyes open: best not done!) you could see the rats running round the top of the partitions and hear your shipments working off their energy nextdoor? Harbour bar, Golfito....never heard of it!!!

Hi,
Ahh the memories.The juke box had wire mesh around it.I was 2nd cook on Maree in 1978.Chief cook was Pat Croarkin from Glasgow,Bosun was Jimmy Macneill from Barra

muldonaich
13th January 2007, 18:12
Hi,
Ahh the memories.The juke box had wire mesh around it.I was 2nd cook on Maree in 1978.Chief cook was Pat Croarkin from Glasgow,Bosun was Jimmy Macneill from Barra pats crossed the bar dont know where jimmy is now he will will be telling good ones im sure kev.

xdenholm
15th January 2007, 11:48
Hi,
Ahh the memories.The juke box had wire mesh around it.I was 2nd cook on Maree in 1978.Chief cook was Pat Croarkin from Glasgow,Bosun was Jimmy Macneill from Barra

ahh the good old juke box (Thumb) it was 25cents from what i remember and it had the good old stones and the beatles on it, which was strange to me at first out there,does anyone remember the toilets was that the bar they were sort of communal or am i thinking of santo thomas or la ceiba? where the guys done ther deed at the entrance and the women passed by to get into theirs?[=P] (Frogger) jimmy macneil yes thanks that was a name i was trying to remember as bosun cheers for that

xdenholm
16th March 2007, 20:34
does anyone whom sailed on these ships remember any of the arranged banana plantation visiits by the capt and ships agents , in those air condition minibuses ,i was lucky enough to have 2 off visits, 1 in fort de france which was the luxury one and one in la ceiba which was the other end of the market but very interesting none the less , feels like yesterday now that i think of it.always remember the bird with the dead snake in its mouth and the extreme heat...woo! they were even mechanised with a rail syatem to take the bananas to the processiong plant

Dick S
16th March 2007, 22:42
I remember doing one with an old guy but do not remember where, Colmbia? It was the country that has the croaching women giving birth!!!

I remember we stopped at a great place for lunch

Dick

paisleymerchant
21st March 2007, 12:24

I was on that trip either as catering boy or steward, I do remenber spending quite a few hours down the hold shifting banana boxes all that to shouts from the chaps not in the hold about spiders ! !and the like

airds
22nd January 2008, 23:24
For the new 'Lochs' - see Keith Denholm's Gallery http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16330 (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16330)

rob salmon
18th April 2008, 11:01
Hi Stephen,

Am slowly digging out photos that havent seen light of day for 27 years or so.
Can't stay long....off to Montreal on Friday to see some very special vietnamese friends from the Wellpark rescue. That's the problem with SN..we're living in the past!6405

Mike

I was there at the time,do you remember going into town and we went to a bar which advertised 7 $ to go in and you can drink as much as you like,there were about 7 of us and we went on this cocktail I cant remember the name of it at the moment but boy did we have a good time,I wish we had digital cameras in those days,I was 3rd engineer at the time,the second went with us a red haired guy who later went chief and I met him whilst standing by the Cast Husky in Korea.I have just joined this site so still finding my way around.

johnmar
21st October 2008, 15:49
first bosun on her was John Macdonald, then Tommy Dahlstrom from paisley, remember either?

Also sailed on her maiden voyage. Donald Campbell was bosun ,tricky dick as Master,harvey c/o,ian lynn ch/stwd

douglasjamesmichael
27th November 2008, 22:10
Remember the 4 Fridges that rotated round the Lochs Lomond, Maree & Long
After 30 years - who could forget Hughie Newton _ I cannot remember the others

fort
30th January 2009, 22:58
sailed on Loch Lommond 10th January 81 from DD In Antwerp for Pannama Cannal Skipper was Captain Perry,Chief was Magilvarry

Old Janner
24th March 2009, 07:30
just remembered, does anyone remember ch/eng,dave bissett and deacon from loch boats around 78/79 ,think it was capt bell at the time (remember wilma the nav cadet ,thats for him) also capt harvey with the gold tooth or even mike pride 2/eng, an x denholms blueyed cadet, think but not sure became M.D. of denholm ship management just before it merged to become anglo seboard?.around 2000.anyone with any info on these chaps? it true what they said i was on her 6months and asked to stay another 6 only to be told no most dissapointing wonder whats happing in golfito now or pt limon

No it was not the Harbour Bar, it was the famous knocking shop !Emmas Bar!
just aft of where we used to tie up, excellently described by (pentalndpirate)
I was the Catering officer on the Loch Maree for over 4 good years, had a great time, remember Bill Harvey and the John Deacon very well, Mike pride and Dave Bisset also, if you can remember some of the other names please come back to me. I was on her when she was handed over to Wallem Ship Management in Sharjah 1981.

Regards,

Spence Lewis.

Old Janner
24th March 2009, 07:56
yes polars v8 s( been in british polar works a few times over the years) i.ve still got the scars on my fingers from fitting those damn exhaust ghaskets on the maree that had the reinforce wire thro the middle,remember how awkward it was to get your hand in and line it up with cylinder head, give me a ruston paxman anyday,or how the exhaust mainfold glowed yellow when that stupid arrangement of air start v/v use to jam open. Declan !from your company ,my mate i seen a few weeks ago , the one from the lomond too .knows him, and has talked a few times with him. though he knows more of the lads from v ship, were you not the one whom went to polar during your leave to find out about the special tool for tightening the big ends as it says in the manual only to find out it was the same tool we were using a 3/4 drive socket with a 6 foor tube on the end to tghten to the required torque!!!?
i know pics were taken at that pool of the marees and L.A.when we were there, lomond was faster someone said(stephen) but maree was quality!!!
Looking at the pic, it was a cargo of cars down below, trucks on deck and if I remeber correctly two busses stowed some place, loaded in Baltimore and discharged in Baranquilla.
Remember some of the crew coming back in the morning in just their socks a skiddies, they had every thing else stolen.
Spence.

Old Janner
24th March 2009, 08:10
Hi,

Juke box with a pipe metal frame around it, then covered with chicken wire, correct, inside of the bar was painted blue, lovely girls all had a smell of garlic around them. Sorry to hear that Pat has passed on, we had a good crew on that trip.

Spence.

morton58
11th April 2009, 08:47
Also sailed on her maiden voyage. Donald Campbell was bosun ,tricky dick as Master,harvey c/o,ian lynn ch/stwd

I was also on loch maree maiden voyage,I remember the same names as you John,did you sail from Greenock January 1976. other names I remember were
Bobby Mclean from Aberdeen,Brian Mulervey Glassgow,the Chef was from near newcastle dont remember his name and there were 3 or 4 welsh lads on board.

Supercargo
17th March 2014, 11:15
Sad to see loch maree is scrapped, i was first trip cadet on her maiden voyage
Hi Andy D

I have just registered on Shipsnostalgia.
I was Chief Officer on maiden voyage on Loch Maree, having stood by the building. I later relieved David Dixon as Master.

Bill Harvey

Supercargo
17th March 2014, 11:22
Hi X-Denholm

Just registered on the Forum.

I stood by and did the Maiden voyage on Loch Maree. Eventually returned as Master and had several years onboard.

Fond memories od Dave Bissett and John Deakin.

(I no longer have the gold tooth)

Bill Harvey

Supercargo
17th March 2014, 11:59
No it was not the Harbour Bar, it was the famous knocking shop !Emmas Bar!
just aft of where we used to tie up, excellently described by (pentalndpirate)
I was the Catering officer on the Loch Maree for over 4 good years, had a great time, remember Bill Harvey and the John Deacon very well, Mike pride and Dave Bisset also, if you can remember some of the other names please come back to me. I was on her when she was handed over to Wallem Ship Management in Sharjah 1981.

Regards,

Spence Lewis.
Hi Spence

Just registered Shipnostalgia.

With a thread through Stephen Card, he mentioned you were on the site.

How are things with you ?
I am still gainfully employed as a Port Captain/Supercargo on Heavy Lift ships.

Bill Harvey

Old Janner
18th March 2014, 08:13
Hi Bill, I have recently been in touch with Stephen and Mike Pride.

Good to hear from you, surprised it took you so long to find this site.

Keep in touch with stephen, we are trying to make a reunion at the end of this year, I am sure we can find some things to talk about, its a bit worrying to find that some of the good Characters we sailed with have crossed the bar.
But we can have a good bash.

I have been living in Azerbaijan for 18 years now, climate suits me old bones and the Voddie is good, makes a change from Rum.
send me your email and we can keep in touch.

Best reagrds,

Spence

mistermac
13th May 2014, 15:38
Hi Bill, I have recently been in touch with Stephen and Mike Pride.

Good to hear from you, surprised it took you so long to find this site.

Keep in touch with stephen, we are trying to make a reunion at the end of this year, I am sure we can find some things to talk about, its a bit worrying to find that some of the good Characters we sailed with have crossed the bar.
But we can have a good bash.

I have been living in Azerbaijan for 18 years now, climate suits me old bones and the Voddie is good, makes a change from Rum.
send me your email and we can keep in touch.

Best reagrds,

Spence

I just found this forum tonight since I am a bit bored offshore in Thailand and did a google on Conon Forest which was one of my favourite trips in Denholms (twice). I sailed on both Maree and Lomond as AB and recognise some of the names on here - particulary Steve Card and Bill Harvey.

My fondest memory of Golfito was a run ashore which ended up with the E/R PO Kenny Asquith smacking the 2nd Cook in Capt Houghtons cabin - tea and tabnabs all around at 10 the following morning!

We also had an incident in Martinique where the ship was occupied by a bunch of striking dockers and cleared in very short order indeed by some french troops.

Some good runs ashore in Long Beach as well - and certainly remember hitting the power station in Antwerp on Maree since I had just come out the starboard maindeck door as we landed on the dolphin about 20m in front of me!

mistermac

John Cassels
13th May 2014, 18:58
When were you on the Conon Forest ?. She was also one of my favourites
though also did the Caledonian and Atholl Forests. Good ships and good runs.

mistermac
13th May 2014, 20:53
When were you on the Conon Forest ?. She was also one of my favourites
though also did the Caledonian and Atholl Forests. Good ships and good runs.

Joined in Vancouver in January 1977 with you as mate John, loaded in Gold River and a few other small ports ending up with a timber deck cargo in Tahsis which we took around to Baltimore & Philadelphia. The liner board and paper pulp were discharged in Antwerp and Bremerhaven if memory serves correct. You departed on the continent and Mike Wray? took over as mate - Malky Thorpe relieved Macvicar as master.

You may recall we had a little incident in the Panama canal which involved a lot of lights going out.

Then back to Tampa for phosphate for Japan and into drydock for installation of cell guides and change of cranes.

Finally paid off in Gothenburg after 9 months - no way I was leaving in case they sent me to another bloody OBO!

Did another trip on her later on the Tilbury to PG container run with Dick Hills as Bosun and Fred Bramely as PO

Cheers
mistermac

xdenholm
4th June 2014, 18:51
Hi X-Denholm

Just registered on the Forum.

I stood by and did the Maiden voyage on Loch Maree. Eventually returned as Master and had several years onboard.

Fond memories od Dave Bissett and John Deakin.

(I no longer have the gold tooth)

Bill Harvey
HI Bill , my first foot on Maree was in Scotsoun on the clyde fitting out bay ,a ship visit for all Denholm cadets,i remember you well a great captian and social host sorry to hear of your tooth , that was your trade mark from that era atb

Supercargo
10th June 2014, 19:10
Anyone remember the Christmas trips to Vancouver on the 'Mandarin Special' from Japan. We were welcomed with a pipe band.

Also swapping frozen chickens for cheroots and cray tails from Japanese trawlers loading at anchor off Yemen.

Bill

Old Janner
13th June 2014, 09:33
Hi Bill,
Yes I remember the two Vancouver Xmas trips from Shimizu, I think we can both honestly say they were good times.
I think we ate very well and had the top hand in Bartering, whether it be Paint or old 'Cargo Brand'

Where you on for the first trip to Vancouver, when we chased two guys who tried to Burgal the engineers rooms, chased ashore by 'Big Ian' the Deacon and myself, into the warehouse sheds, where one man stopped and said leave me alone I have a Gun!!!! Just as well as we were all out of Breath, Back to the bar for a cold beer.
Remember the Sand Dancing on a Sunday afternoons.
Or re arranging the chair that the female Panama Pilot sat in, only to be caught on our knees when she quickly returned.
Table dancing in Corinto! Yes Good Days
I always have a smile on my face when I think back to the Loch Maree trips and Characters.
Drop me a line some time, I am still planning a trip to the UK in October / November.

Best regards,

Spence

Supercargo
22nd July 2014, 18:53
Posted on Buried at sea Thread.
Apart from the usual requests from third parties for burial at sea, my most emotional was burying Ivor Thomas at sea on Trans Pacific crossing. Ivor was a GP1, and died of natural causes onboard 'Loch Lomond' on 2nd July 1978. He was buried the same day. He was from Llanelli, so I carried out part of the service in Welsh.

muldonaich
22nd July 2014, 20:44
Sorry to hear about Ivor he was a good shipmate brgds kev.

chris100
11th August 2014, 21:21
Posted on Buried at sea Thread.
Apart from the usual requests from third parties for burial at sea, my most emotional was burying Ivor Thomas at sea on Trans Pacific crossing. Ivor was a GP1, and died of natural causes onboard 'Loch Lomond' on 2nd July 1978. He was buried the same day. He was from Llanelli, so I carried out part of the service in Welsh.

I was a first trip deck boy on the loch lomand at the time. I remember getting up on the Sunday morning and not believing what was going on.. Bit much for a first tripper..
Also the storming by the dockers in Martinique. Little Sammy was the night watch man, it was all hear say for me tho as I managed to sleep right through it.. Tear gas and rubber bullets? Or so I heard. I do believe it was a Mr Mcalister who nearly got us shot by trying to take over a small boat in Martinique. Correct me of I'm wrong on that one.. Again for a first tipper I could not have asked for a better ship or crew to sail with.. Happy days..

mistermac
8th October 2014, 22:08
I was a first trip deck boy on the loch lomand at the time. I remember getting up on the Sunday morning and not believing what was going on.. Bit much for a first tripper..
Also the storming by the dockers in Martinique. Little Sammy was the night watch man, it was all hear say for me tho as I managed to sleep right through it.. Tear gas and rubber bullets? Or so I heard. I do believe it was a Mr Mcalister who nearly got us shot by trying to take over a small boat in Martinique. Correct me of I'm wrong on that one.. Again for a first tipper I could not have asked for a better ship or crew to sail with.. Happy days..

Chris

I think you are wrong there - it was Guayquil where pistols were flourished and emotions ran high!

Did you do a trip on the Arctic Troll as well by any chance?