New Contributors?????

Alan Rawlinson
21st July 2010, 18:50
As it all seems to have gone quiet on the Bankline site, I wonder if any new contributors would like to add their thoughts. From the ' hits ' recorded on each thread, it seems there must be many Bankline vets reading, but keeping schtum! Am I right. C'mon guys. We'd love to hear from you, whatever the message!

pete
22nd July 2010, 09:30
Hi Alan, I'm a Bank Line Vet. (got the boot in 1980 after 15 Years). My Father and my Great Uncle also sailed with the company, bit of a Family Affair you might say. Taught me a lot about General cargo, as you know everything from pins to (in my case Giraffes). Matter of interest do you or anybody else know of a decent book about the Co. I have the Middlemiss but it is so full of mistakes and those stupid Line Drawings. 70 adventurous years has it's place but there must be something else. Uh oh, Memsahib as arrived so must up anchor and away............pete

Alistair Macnab
22nd July 2010, 15:26
Pete....
I invite you to look in the SN Directory if you haven't already done so and see the Bank Line Parts I to V. Parts VI and VII have been written and are presently being edited by Fred Henderson who is attaching suitable photographs. They will appear very soon. This may be what you are looking for in the meantime. This stuff will be further expanded to make a book in due course just as the Directory version is an expanded form of what originally appeared in this Bank Line section.

Alan Rawlinson
22nd July 2010, 19:06
Hi Alan, I'm a Bank Line Vet. (got the boot in 1980 after 15 Years). My Father and my Great Uncle also sailed with the company, bit of a Family Affair you might say. Taught me a lot about General cargo, as you know everything from pins to (in my case Giraffes). Matter of interest do you or anybody else know of a decent book about the Co. I have the Middlemiss but it is so full of mistakes and those stupid Line Drawings. 70 adventurous years has it's place but there must be something else. Uh oh, Memsahib as arrived so must up anchor and away............pete

Hi Pete,

Can thoroughly recommend Alistair's history ( with a few juicy bits!) but also I have an excellent copy of the Norman Middlemiss - Andrew Weir Shipping (AWS) in the Merchant Fleets series. There are alas no ' juicy bits ' but it seems to be a very comprehensive summary of all the vessels, laid out very well. What it did for me, is to make me realise what a short piece of the action we all experienced - some more than others, but with 400 plus vessels over the years, it is inevitable that we ' enjoyed ' an all too short part of the story. ( Seemed like ages on some of those Pacific crossings, never the less) The book also says what happened to them all which makes interesting reading especially in war time. I cross referenced the war casualties against the fate of the u-boats and crews that did most of the damage. Am I a pedant, or what?

Just noticed that you have the Middlemiss book, and didn't like it. It is a bit factual or bland, but I stand by my enthusiasm above! Maybe there are other references that someone can recommend
Cheers

Duncan112
23rd July 2010, 00:01
The World Ship society published a book in 1985 by H S Appleyard - Think its out of print now - I got my copy from ebay.

Duncan

pete
23rd July 2010, 09:34
Alan, what's the matter with Pacific Crossings. Granted we were on water rationing but we carried Salt Water Soap (Sandpaper is more user friendly) lol.
On a more serious note All Chart Corrections up to date and all Cargo Gear Checked and Impeccable for arrival in Australasia. No bad thing.
Thanks for all your replies with reference to Books available, must confess didn't know about the H S Appleyard. will attempt to obtain a copy Can you send me it's ISBN,be grateful.
Alistair, have been reading your entries in the Directory and they are very good indeed. When the book is published can you forward the Title and the ISBN please, I will certainly order a copy
Once again thank you all...................pete

Duncan112
23rd July 2010, 10:13
Sorry, the book doesn't have an ISBN http://www.worldshipsociety.org/2986.html

Currently one copy available on abe books at 44