Royal Navy. Survey Recorders.

mikeh
9th November 2005, 21:29
I served as a survey recorder in the Royal Navy between 1975 and 1980.
H.M. Ships :- Hecla, Hydra,Bulldog and Echo were among the ships i served on.
H.M.S. Echo being at the Spithead Review for the Silver Jubilee of Her Majesty the Queen.
Has any member any memories of this event or of the survey department.
mike.

Steve
9th November 2005, 22:13
Hello Mike and welcome to SN

Doug Rogers
10th November 2005, 08:57
Welcome aboard and enjoy the site and the members.

R58484956
10th November 2005, 13:15
Welcome aboard mikeh, enjoy the site and the banter and knowlege that goes with it.

DAVIDJM
10th November 2005, 16:24
Hello Mikeh
I sailed on the bulldog on her last trip out of Plymouth to Poole where she was converted into a luxury yacht.

Being more use to a big steering wheel, I thought it wa a novelty just turning a small knob, coming out of no 3 basin and down the river.

i wonder if any members took a photo of her when the convertion was completed
davidjm

mikeh
10th November 2005, 17:04
Hi David.
Thanks for the reply.
It was interesting what happened to the Bulldog.I don`t have any recent photo`s of her though, only ones whilst i served on her.We were carrying out a coastal survey of the Southwold area which meant we were living ashore and surveying inshore waters down to Aldeburgh.The Bulldog carried on surveying in deeper waters.
Mike

lagerstedt
12th November 2005, 00:55
Hi there

I served in the Royal New Zealand Navy (Hydrographic Branch) during the 1960's. Last Century!! During that time I surved on the "HMNZS Lachlan" a converted River Class Frigate obtained from the OZ navy at scrap value. In 1974 they purchased the former Pacific Island trader "Moana Roa" and sent it to Scotland for conversion. Today they have more modern ships to use, ones that use devices call Computers and Satellites. How boring, we used sextons, slide rules and long range radio signals and of course brains which had to use to convert the info onto plot boards to form the beginning of the chart. Our area of responsibility is from Antartica to the Pacific Islands out to the Date Line one way and to mid Tasman Sea to other way.
When I find a photo of the "Lachlan" I will post it. Attached is one of the "Resolution"

Dick Eburne
22nd November 2005, 21:08
In 1963 (I think) I spent 3 weeks on board HMS Dalrymple in the Irish Sea undergoing 'sea training' for civilians employed in the Admiralty.

As I had already been to Australia and back as a passenger, my father had been in the Admiralty since before I was born, and I had been racing sailing dinghies in Portsmouth Harbour I didn't learn what I was supposed to learn.

I did learn how to play poker to win, and the price of duty free drinks.

Apart from a trip ashore in Belfast we spent most of my stay on board taking soundings of the Irish Sea with a break to watch and measure tidal flows on a small part of the coastline.

I am still grateful for the hospitality given to me by the ship's company.

Dick

Hugh MacLean
22nd November 2005, 21:54
Hi Mikeh,

I served in the RN (Comms) 1976-1986. Was at the Spithead review on board the Flagship HMS Ark Royal. That was when we had some ships. :)

I have just signed up on here it's a good site so enjoy. Plenty of friendly people on here.
Hugh

mikeh
23rd November 2005, 20:11
Hello Hugh

Your`e being in comms reminds me of an amusing event during the Spithead Review.I say amusing because it caused many a smile.If you recall the muppets were a favourite at the time and during the times of radio silence at the Review some radio operator would launch into mana-mana.I don`t think the top brass were overly amused though.

Regards

Mike

Hugh MacLean
23rd November 2005, 22:05
Hello Mikeh,

Funny you should mention it. Brings it all back now. As flagship we were in control of everything especially comms. I do remember the muppets over the R/T. The Chief Radio Sup was not amused I can tell you.

Seems like only yesterday. Good times though.

Regards
Hugh