Romantica

pkka
9th November 2005, 23:33
Hello everybody,
Does anybody have pictures or know what happened with cruise ship "Romantica" which used to sail Eastern Meditteranean but then burnt completely en route from Egypt to Cyprus? It happened some time in the late 90s? Luckily no one was killed but the ship continued to burn even as it was towed to port in Limassol and eventually was completely destroyed. Last time I saw her, she was washed ashore on Ladys Mile beach in Limassol not far from port. Anyone know what happened to her? She was a beautiful boat. Real classic.
Thanks!

ruud
9th November 2005, 23:49
Ahoy pkka,

морское приветствие

приветствуем вас на борту самолета

[in English]

Welcome aboard(*))

Here a link to her fate:

http://www.maritimematters.com/mall_video6_pk.html

just scroll half way down.

Here in better days:
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/2809/romantica1wt.th.jpg (http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=romantica1wt.jpg)
----------
Oct. 4, 1997 - About 650 passengers and crew piled into lifeboats and helicopters to escape a fire aboard the MS Romantica, a Cypriot ship owned by Paradise Tours that was on a three-day trip to Egypt and Israel. They were all taken aboard another Cypriot ship about 65 miles off Cyprus and no one was injured.
------
Passengers, crew flee burning ship
LIMASSOL, Cyprus -- A fire raged through a cruise ship as it sailed off Cyprus, sending more than 650 passengers and crew fleeing in lifeboats and helicopters.
The MS Romantica, a 10500-ton Cypriot vessel, was carrying European tourists on a Mediterranean cruise to Port Said, Egypt.
"The boat burned like hell. We were lucky to get out alive, but I've lost everything," said the ship's photographer, a Briton who gave only the name Chris.
The Cypriot ship Princessa Victoria reached the area, 100 km off Cyprus, half an hour after picking up a distress signal and found passengers, many still in pyjamas, already in lifeboats.
Helicopters from a British base in Cyprus winched the last passengers and the captain from the deck of the blazing vessel.
All the evacuees -- 482 passengers and 182 crew members -- were taken aboard the Victoria.
Helicopter commander Jonathan Dixon said as his two craft approached the ship, they saw the passengers clambering into the lifeboats.
"Many were already at sea heading for the Victoria. Smoke was coming from the Romantica's bridge and the surrounding area," he said.
Victoria captain Yannis Papapdopoulos said the rescue was orderly. "There was no panic at all and no injuries, not even a scratch."
The ship, owned by the Cypriot company Paradise Tours, had been on a three-day cruise to Egypt and Israel.
The passengers were from Europe, including 223 Russians and 120 Britons.
Mr Savvas Stylianou, a Cypriot who disembarked here along with the other evacuees, said "thick smoke" in his cabin woke him up.
But his lifeboat had a leak. "I took a vest from one of the women passengers and bunged it shut," he said.
Most passengers had left all their luggage on the burning ship. Many no longer had passports.
Initial reports said the fire had started in the engine room.
However, the cause was still unknown.
Cyprus television showed it was still blazing with thick smoke billowing from its middle section. Tugs sprayed jets of water on to the ship, which listed slightly in the calm sea. -- Sapa-AP

thunderd
10th November 2005, 00:04
pkka I notice that this is your first post on the site and I'd like to offer you a warm welcome to it, I hope you enjoy it.

R58484956
10th November 2005, 12:54
Welcome pkka, hope you enjoy the site and all it has to offer, nice to have a russian entrant on the site.

Piero43
10th November 2005, 15:49
"Romantica",10,022 GT, single screw, Diesel electric, 17 knots.
Built in 1939 by Blohm + Woss as HUASCARAN for Hamburg America Line.
During WWII she was used as depot ship for German Navy.
1947 bought by Canadian Pacific Steamship for cargo and emigrant trade, renamed BEAVERBRAE.
1954 bought by COGEDAR Line of Genoa (Italy), renamed AURELIA, substantially rebuilt and employed on Australian trade, up to 1960, when she was employed in summer student voyages between Europe and NY.
1968 sold to Costa Line and briefly employed in cruise trade.
1970 bought by Chandris Lines, renamed ROMANZA and employed in cruising.
1991 sold to Cypriot owners who renamed her ROMANTICA.

In 19060s I did many summer cruises in Mediteranean and a journey to NY whlie my dad was master on her. She was a very comfortable ship, and I regretted when I kwew of her sad end.

Here is a pic as AURELIA.
Piero

pkka
10th November 2005, 16:20
thanks everybody for the welcome and the info, really interesting. anyone know what happened with her after? was she scraped?
Ruud, zdarova!

pkka
10th November 2005, 16:25
ah yes she was, just read it. how sad, i was at sea when she caught fire and overheard the distress call on the radio

Aristo
15th November 2005, 10:18
The wreck was indeed towed to Alexandria to be scrapped, however a year later it was reported that only her superstructure had been scrapped. Scrapping in Egypt is a never ending process and it probably took some time to complete the work.

mariejosee
25th May 2008, 22:06
I was myself working on board Romanza in 1985 /1986 from Venize every week i love this ship and would love to get in contact with other crew members from that time !!it was my first contract on board ship and after that i navigate for 12 years !! different companies chandris, costa,cunard,norway ect...please let me know if you have a way to get in touch with crew members i was working for the purser office
Marie josee

mike bea
31st December 2008, 12:08
Hello everybody,
Does anybody have pictures or know what happened with cruise ship "Romantica" which used to sail Eastern Meditteranean but then burnt completely en route from Egypt to Cyprus? It happened some time in the late 90s? Luckily no one was killed but the ship continued to burn even as it was towed to port in Limassol and eventually was completely destroyed. Last time I saw her, she was washed ashore on Ladys Mile beach in Limassol not far from port. Anyone know what happened to her? She was a beautiful boat. Real classic.
Thanks!

hi i have recently joined the forum,and sailed to australia in 1962 as a child when the ship was called aurelia,the ship took 6 weeks and sailed from southampton to sydney via suez canel and aden called at malaga to pick up large amount of passengers who were going to make a new life in ausralia.
i remember the ship being quite small and being sea sick in the bay of biscay,the only time i have been sea sick.
does anybody on the forum khow any body who sailed on the ship at that time.
regards mike