'Jo' Dashwood-Howard's Brocklebank Photos

Douglas Dashwood-Howard
10th November 2005, 14:33
Hello everyone,

This is just to inform those who have enjoyed Stuart's postings of photos from my father's albums that these have now come to an end. Once he'd completed his apprenticeship, my father seemed to take fewer photos of everyday life on board ship, concentrating more on events during his short leave periods at home in Ludham, which are obviously not of interest here.

After commencing his diaries in January 1935, which he continued until he left the sea at the end of 1936, he either didn't take any more shipping photos or didn't preserve them if he did. Perhaps writing the diaries every day and the frequent letters he wrote to his sweetheart Lilian, who he married in 1938, didn't leave him much time for photos!

Stuart's notes below each of the photos were remarkably well done and often spiced with a touch of the nice humour seafarers seem to share. They have really brought the images to life and make them so much more interesting than they would otherwise have been.

I am truly grateful to Stuart for having spent so much of his valuable time on this little project which, apart from evidently being of interest, as witness the number of viewings, will help to preserve the memory of my seafaring father.

I'm sure our members would wish to join me in saying a well-deserved and very big 'THANK YOU' to Stuart.

Douglas

Frank P
10th November 2005, 14:59
Thank you Douglas for allowing Stuart to use the material, and thanks to Stuart for putting it in the site.

cheers Frank

John Leary
10th November 2005, 15:20
Douglas
You have been most generous in sharing your father Jo's photographs with us all. It was my good fortune and I have to admit more luck than foresight on my part to have been employed by Brocklebank's in the 60's as a radio officer. I knew when I was employed by the company that it had a long and illustrious history but this only became clearer in recent times by my aquisition of a small number of books that have been written about it.
It was however your fathers photographs and Stuart's descriptions that have provided a real insight and a feel for a time in its history. Thank you most sincerely.
John

R798780
10th November 2005, 19:51
Hello everyone,

I'm sure our members would wish to join me in saying a well-deserved and very big 'THANK YOU' to Stuart.

Douglas

I must say a huge thank you to both Douglas and Stuart. Sad to think that's the end of them, they have been a source of interest, education and amusement for which I am trully grateful. Time now to go ploughing back through and have yet another look.

michael james
10th November 2005, 23:28
Douglas and Stuart, I second all of the above remarks, it has been a remarkable insight in life at sea (and in Brocklebanks) during those times in the mid 30`s. Sorry that is the end but what a collection for the archives.

Thank you both very much. MikeJ (Applause)

Doug Rogers
11th November 2005, 06:13
Likewise, thanks to you both, it has been an experience just looking.

Derek Roger
11th November 2005, 23:51
Douglas it is most probable that your father sailed with my father. Dads Name was Charles Braid Roger . He went to sea as a cadet at age 14 which would put his first trip around 1924 and he left during the depression when they wanted him to go down in rank from 3 rd Mate to Quatermaster. He left he sea and after a short spell ashore in the UK he emigrated to South Africa . Joined the South African Army during the war and spent most of it in north africa ( carried his sextant all the time and was able to navigate by the stars at night and was instrumental in getting a lot of troops out when they were trapped behind enemy lines around the time of El Alamain ( They were behind lines setting up fuel caches for the impending 8th army advace with Monty .
A close buddy of my father was Yegg Thomas . they were cadets together on the cadet ship which I think was the Old Makalla .
Regards Derek

Douglas Dashwood-Howard
12th November 2005, 18:16
Thanks Derek, that's interesting.
My Dad started his apprenticeship on 4 September 1928 and completed it on 3 September 1932. If your Dad joined Brocks as a cadet in 1924 he would probably have done his last voyage as a cadet on Makalla I in 1928, just a year before my Dad sailed on her. But perhaps they met up later on one of Dad's other Brocklebank ships - Mahronda, Anchoria, Malakand, Masirah, Matra or Matheran.
Unfortunately few of the people he photographed for his albums are named and I haven't as yet got round to obtaining a crew list or two for some of his voyages.
Anyway, I'll keep an eye open for your Dad if and Yeg Thomas if and when I succeed in getting some crew lists and also when I look through his diaries.
Interesting story about your Dad with his sextant in the South African Army! Mine had a visit some years back from a yachting friend who proudly showed off his hand-held GPS navigator and demonstrated how he could determine their position in the garden more-or-less within a few feet. Dad said, "But what do you do if the bloody battery runs out?!" Then he went indoors, brought out the sextant he'd won as a cadet with Brock's and told his friend he'd better learn to use one!
Best wishes
Douglas

Derek Roger
12th November 2005, 22:49
I like that Douglas ! But the answere to the battery question was surely " What about Dark / Cloudy Skies ??
Dad did sail on the Makalla 1 and my mother who still lives in Scotland has all the old photograhs which I shall get scanned when I am over next spring . I seem to recollect that some have the names on them ; I hope so as it will help .
Dad used to tell my brother and I about fishing off the Makalla in the Red Sea ( She only did about 9 Knots on a good day ) Thay would trawl a line with a big hook and feathers and some cloth and catch Dolphin fish and shark which would be hauled aboard using a winch .
Another friend of dads of that era was Dave McGrouther who later became Supt in Liverpool office and a Captin called Briggs ( Dont remember his first name )
I Sailed with Capt Briggs when I was apprentice .We did not get on very well ! He threatened to fire all 6 appentices in Smiths Dock Middlesboro ( Dont remember why ? but Im sure we must have been well out of line )
Derek

michael james
13th November 2005, 19:00
Derek, That would be Captain Anthony (Tony) Briggs. Sailed under and knew him well. Mike James

Harry Nicholson
13th November 2005, 20:16
>Unfortunately few of the people he photographed for his albums are named and I haven't as yet got round to obtaining a crew list or two for some of his voyages.<
Hello Douglas,
How does one get hold of crew lists from the 50's,60's?
Thanks for your writings.

Douglas Dashwood-Howard
14th November 2005, 09:48
Hello Harry
Crew lists for my Dad's voyages are pre-1938 and are therefore indexed by ship numbers in the Canadian Maritime History Archive in Newfoundland but that doesn't apply to post-war lists for which see below:

Here is an extract concerning crew from the National Archives (London) website:

Agreement and Crew Lists 1861 - 1938 and 1950 - 1994

In BT 99 , The National Archives (TNA) holds a random 10% sample of the ACLs, for the periods 1861 to 1938 and again from 1950 to 1994. A manuscript index held at Kew, gives the ships (by official number) by year from 1861 to 1928. See the separate section below on The National Archives' World War 2 holdings.

When the files were being selected for preservation a decision was taken on how to dispose of all those not taken by TNA. The National Maritime Museum took 10% and County Record Offices, took some for the period 1863-1913. The rest, approximately 70% of the ACLs, 1863-1938 and 1951-1976, were transferred to the Maritime History Archive, Memorial University, St John's, Newfoundland, Canada A1C 5S7 (www.mun.ca/mha/).

The National Maritime Museum's 10% sample covers the period 1861-1938 and 1951-1976. Their holdings approximate to 10% over the two periods and were selected by taking the 90% not selected for The National Archives for 1861-1862 and 90% for every year that ended in a figure 5, i.e. 1865, 1875, etc. with the exception of 1945 - see below.
END OF QUOTE

Unfortunately the crew lists from 1951 onwards haven't yet been indexed at Newfoundland but their website gives the following info:

The agreements and logbooks for voyages terminating for the years 1863 - 1938 are indexed and can be searched here. The agreements for the years 1951 - 1976 have not been indexed. There are no nominal indexes to the crew lists. For us to search the agreements for a particular seafarer, we must know the name or official number of the vessel, and the approximate dates that person served on it. The 1951 - 1976 agreements can also be searched with this information. Once a person has been located, it is sometimes possible to trace his or her career back through previous vessels.
END OF QUOTE.

I've had no experience with Agreements and Crew Lists from either repository as yet. I'm no expert but I suppose the first step would be The National Archives at Kew, then the National Maritime Museum and finally the Maritime History Archive in Newfoundland.

I seem to remember there have been some postings in Shipsnostalgia on this matter. I think it is quite expensive to have searches done in Newfoundland, but that depends of course how badly one wants the info! I do know they will send results, i.e. crew lists as e-mail attachments, which is useful. Have a look at their website www.mun.ca/mha/

Hope this is of some help

Douglas

Harry Nicholson
14th November 2005, 18:12
Douglas, many thanks for all that effort. I appreciate it and will follow it up.
regards
Harry Nicholson