"Halfway Around the World: An Improbable Journey"

Steve Hodges
31st July 2010, 23:19
By Gavin Young - published 1981 by Random House.
I picked up a copy in a charity shop because it looked interesting, and it certainly was. The author was a former war correspondent who had the idea in the late 70's of trying to "ship-hop" from Europe to Canton, while it was still just about possible. Mr Young was an excellent travel writer and a real adventurer, I just couldn't put the book down till I finished it. Sadly, for an old "mariner" like me there is not much detail of the vessels that he sailed on, and although he frequently mentions taking photos there is not one in the book, only sketch maps.
Recommended as a very good read if you come across a copy(Thumb)

Trader
1st August 2010, 23:31
Hi Steve,
Gavin Young also wrote "Slow Boats to China" which had the same story line. I wonder if this is the same book with a different title ?.
He also wrote a sequel "Slow Boats Home". Both cracking books.
Alec.

Pat Kennedy
2nd August 2010, 09:16
Alec,
I read Slow boats to China several years ago, and I seem to recall the author describing his passage on the Blue Funnel Patroclus. As I remember he was very disparaging of the 'scouser' catering staff, who he thought were not servile enough.
At the time I thought 'well Bo*****s to you Mr Young'
Best regards,
Pat

TonyAllen
2nd August 2010, 11:37
Alec,
I read Slow boats to China several years ago, and I seem to recall the author describing his passage on the Blue Funnel Patroclus. As I remember he was very disparaging of the 'scouser' catering staff, who he thought were not servile enough.
At the time I thought 'well Bo*****s to you Mr Young'
Best regards,
Pat

I thought the same as you Pat .A jumped up little writer
wanted to be fawned over Tony