R/O's - ex Plymouth College 1960's

les.edgecumbe
6th August 2010, 15:08
I keep in touch with several R/O's and REO's from Plymouth days, and am thinking of orgainising a website to assist contact with one another.
Are there any R/O's who trained at Plymouth with lecturers Ted Howarth, Dave Miller, Alec Ward, 'Robbie' Robinson, Joe Rowe, Mitchell, Crowther, Alan Pink??

Les Edgecumbe
Devon.

Ron Stringer
7th August 2010, 00:06
Did a Marine Electronics Diploma course there in Autumn 1966. Ted Howarth and Terry Crowther were still there then. Crowther and one other lecturer Pete (?) were also at Brooks Bar Manchester in 1959 when I took my PMG.

I was in digs in Cattedown Road - since cleared to make way for some sort of relief road-c u m bypass between the City Centre and the A38.

les.edgecumbe
7th August 2010, 19:52
Your name rings a vague bell Ron. I was there at the same time (Plymouth) PMG II. Your MED must have been a very early one.
Pete Yarwood?
With exception of Alan Pink, and possibly Howarth all lecturers are QRT now.

Ron Stringer
7th August 2010, 22:29
Pete Yarwood was the man indeed. Met both him and Terry Crowther on occasion later while I was working for Marconi ashore, usually at exhibitions or the Boat Show. Sorry to hear they have both passed on.

Ron Stringer
7th August 2010, 22:54
Marconi set that course up with Ted Howarth for R/Os that had newly 'come ashore' to work for them as technicians on the docks. Names that I can remember from the course were Norman Watchorn and myself from South Shields base (Newcastle Depot), Julian Dunn from Liverpool Depot, Eric Tarling from Aberdeen and Bernie Kelly from East Ham. Others have slipped my memory.

Norman and I rented a top floor bedsit in a house in Cattedown Road. We mainly dealt with our middle-aged landlady since her husband, Lenny, was normally absent from the home, either at work or doing evening classes in car maintenance. It was only later that our landlady (and we) learned that the evening classes had much more to do with servicing the chassis of a certain young lady than Lenny's NSU Prinz car. There was a parting of the ways and Lenny and the NSU departed.

les.edgecumbe
8th August 2010, 16:39
Life in the city eh?
I have mislead you....as far as I hear on the grapevine Pete and Terry are still alive, but unknown whereabouts.
Think I may have come across you when I worked on various colliers - deep joy!
Looking forward to hearing from any others who went through Plymouth tech.

les.edgecumbe
8th August 2010, 20:07
Your name rings a vague bell Ron. I was there at the same time (Plymouth) PMG II. Your MED must have been a very early one.
Pete Yarwood?
Correction: Pete Yarwood and Terry Crowther believed to be still alive.

Ron Stringer
9th August 2010, 10:42
I believe that Terry used to live up Tavistock way, but I can't be sure of that. (Intermittent fault in the memory stack.)

les.edgecumbe
9th August 2010, 13:19
That's correct - and used to teach radio to the inmates of Dartmoor Prison - guess he used us as guinea pigs then!!

Ken Lake
9th August 2010, 13:37
I received my PMG 1 and Radar ticket there in 1963 and remember Ted Howarth and Alan Pink for PMG but can't remember the lecturer for radar which was undertaken in a building on Plymouth Hoe. Ted told me not to spend too much time at sea and get other qualifications so I went back to what was then Plymouth Polytechnic and did a B Sc in Communications Engineering.

les.edgecumbe
9th August 2010, 16:46
That would be Jock Richardson, Ken. The Scotsman with voltage detectible fingers to within 50/100volts. I was the course behind you and the radar moved up to the main building. Was John Duquemin (from Channel Islands) on your course? Shared digs with him in Stoke.

Ken Lake
10th August 2010, 11:53
That would be Jock Richardson, Ken. The Scotsman with voltage detectible fingers to within 50/100volts. I was the course behind you and the radar moved up to the main building. Was John Duquemin (from Channel Islands) on your course? Shared digs with him in Stoke.

I don't remember the name Les but it was a long time ago!

LucyKnight
15th June 2013, 15:35
I keep in touch with several R/O's and REO's from Plymouth days, and am thinking of orgainising a website to assist contact with one another.
Are there any R/O's who trained at Plymouth with lecturers Ted Howarth, Dave Miller, Alec Ward, 'Robbie' Robinson, Joe Rowe, Mitchell, Crowther, Alan Pink??

Les Edgecumbe
Devon.

I completed the first year of the MRRT (1972-1973) (the 1st year it was introduced) at Durnford Street Plymouth. Went to Bristol for 2nd and 3rd years. The lectureres were in charge Mr Mitchell (no more) Mr Hogan Mr Pink Mr Sargeant. You mentioned Alec Ward. He wasn't there then but after Redifon went on to be the Electronics Supt at CP Ships who l latger worked for. He was extremely well respected by his dept. and sadly died either 2002 or 2003. Mr Crowther l remember as a neighbour when I lived at home. Mr Howarth and Mr Crowther were at the Polytechic where they originally ran the 2nd year and radar. When the Tech became the Polytechnic the first year was classed as CFE and ended up in the Durnford St annex. before the new large modern CFE in Devonport was built. I know Mr Pink and Mr Mitchell moved there. I was talking to another retired lecturere from the same dept but not a radio lect the other day who filled me in on them.

LucyKnight
15th June 2013, 15:39
I don't remember the name Les but it was a long time ago!

You mentioned Jock Richardson the radar lecturerer. He apparently ended up suffering with MND and was unable to speak so he communicated using the morse key at the end before his demise. This came from another lecturer who worked with him in the same dept.

LucyKnight
15th June 2013, 15:44
Pete Yarwood went on to be in charge and lectured on the MEC. He was there when I took it Sept 77 - Mar 78 and had been there for a while. He also lectured on the BSC Comm eng degree.

Pete Yarwood?
Correction: Pete Yarwood and Terry Crowther believed to be still alive.

Keith Pengelly
17th June 2013, 21:21
I was at Plymouth 1963 to 65. still remember the coach trip to visit Portisheadhead. The words to some of the foulest ditties sung on the way home (via several pubs) are still with me. Robbie was in some way involved with Station X but even that long after the war was reluctant to talk about it. Joe Wroe was a signaller on balloons in WW1 spotting for the artillery. When my wife was having our son in Harlow in 1979, her midwife was the wife of Ian Channing, who was at Plymouth with my brother David a few years before me. Trevor Bean is still living in Crafthole. Roger Simms was mentioned in a book I read about the Falklands War. Few other names, Barry Austin ex RAF. Chris Lambrou from Cyprus, Sean Mcginnty, Roger West.

derekhore
2nd July 2013, 16:54
I received my PMG 1 and Radar ticket there in 1963 and remember Ted Howarth and Alan Pink for PMG but can't remember the lecturer for radar which was undertaken in a building on Plymouth Hoe.

Was that building on the seaward side of the road leading from the Barbican to the Hoe - like an old fort?

If so, it was called Fishers Nose and is now a cafe!

http://www.polyolbion.org.uk/Fortifications/Plymouth/CitadelFishersNose.jpg

LucyKnight
3rd July 2013, 17:14
Was that building on the seaward side of the road leading from the Barbican to the Hoe - like an old fort?

If so, it was called Fishers Nose and is now a cafe!

http://www.polyolbion.org.uk/Fortifications/Plymouth/CitadelFishersNose.jpg

Fisher's nose is Huttons cafe, but it's not the only cafe in that stretch now. Just along towards west Hoe below the road were blue painted boat storage bunkers on the tarmac and people used to catch the booze crew boat which went up to Calstock up the River Tamar. There is now a proper ferry staging and ramp there and the boat sheds are now cafes along with fake grass, wooden decking, trellis and pot plants. Very twee. Opposite Fisher's nose was the Lambay Hill stone steps which led up to the Fishermans pub and the Commercial. They are both still there, but I don't think the Commercial is open for many hours a week now.

derekhore
3rd July 2013, 17:43
Cheers Lucy - I went into the cafe at the end of last summer - for old times sake as it were - spent a good few hours doing my Radar Observers in that place!
We used to pop up to the Commercial for a lunchtime pint.

Do you know if the Blue Dolphin pub is still on the Barbican? Copius supplies of 'blue microdots' used to be available to purchase in that place!! ;)

Barmyclaresdad
4th July 2013, 10:02
I was there for my MED in 1967 soon after coming ashore and working for Marconi in Hull. Followed after Ron into the digs in Cattedown Road.
I remember the names of the lecturers mentioned.
We nicknamed the radar man Angus Mckluskie.
Malcolm Foulds

LucyKnight
4th July 2013, 15:20
I was there for my MED in 1967 soon after coming ashore and working for Marconi in Hull. Followed after Ron into the digs in Cattedown Road.
I remember the names of the lecturers mentioned.
We nicknamed the radar man Angus Mckluskie.
Malcolm Foulds

Were you meaning 'Jock' Richardson who was teaching radar way after that in the building which became the Polytechnic(now university) and then down at the new CFE King Roads (phase 1 opened about 78) which was on the site of the Old Devonport Railway Station opposite and just up the road from the Old Devonport Tech. Jock died of Motor Neurone Disease and according to another lecturer in the same dept but did not teach on the radio officers course (electrical engineering) he usedd his morse key to communicate with people when he was unable to speak because of the disease. That retired lecturer who I had the conversation with about 2 months ago also mentioned Alan Pink in the conversation and is a long standing radio ham. I'll ask him for his callsign if your interested and want to be filled in on the rest of them who might still be around.

LucyKnight
4th July 2013, 15:38
Cheers Lucy - I went into the cafe at the end of last summer - for old times sake as it were - spent a good few hours doing my Radar Observers in that place!
We used to pop up to the Commercial for a lunchtime pint.

Do you know if the Blue Dolphin pub is still on the Barbican? Copius supplies of 'blue microdots' used to be available to purchase in that place!! ;)

If your meaning the same pub called 'The Dolphin' on the barbican which was opposite the original fish market (before they installed the lock gates and shifted the fish market across the water to Cattdown), it is still there. As the Fish market isn't opposite it it doesn't really have the same locals around. Some of the fish market businesses shifted elsewhere. There was a Marconi R/O I knew and his late father had one of the long standing businesses (Percy Turner's) on the Old Fish market key and he ended up working for the family firm but I understand they shifted to Looe. The sight of the fishing boats and people fixing their nets gave quite a lot of character to the Barbican which is missing now. The artist Lenceiwitz (or however it's spelt) painting his mural was another sight visitors liked even if some of the locals disapproved. That was by Plymouth Gin (Blackfriars distillery) That started about 1971 along with a man dressed up as Francis Drake taking people for guided walks and selling them 'pieces of eight'.

I never heard of the Dolphin being called the 'Blue Dolphin'. There was a pub called the 'Blue Monkey' and after some of us had been sailing under the Tamar Bridge at Saltash Passage under the watchful eye of John Vorden and Roger Collins the sports instructors would sometimes end up there, but that was in the St Budeaux area. In the end the pub at Saltash passage had our custom because they didn't mind up walking in wearing our dripping wet home made wet suits as long as we bought a drink and a pasty. I think the pub and locals must have been very tolerant looking back

The Good companions Pub building is still standing (just) and boarded up in Mayflowers St and is pictured in today's Evening Herald regarding an article about resubmission of planning permission for student accommodation to be built on the site.

The nightclub so many went to on the Barbican called officially the 'Sailing school' Unofficially the GX is still standing but called Annabels.

I defected after my first year studying in Plymouth under course leader Mr Mitchel and ended up completing the 2nd and 3rd years of the MRRT (the first intake of the longer course) at Brunel Bristol.

King Ratt
4th July 2013, 16:55
Did any of you Plymouthian students ever visit the establishment along the Barbican know as the GX? I believe that was short for groin exchange. It may have been the local sailing club at one time but it was all a long time ago.

LucyKnight
24th August 2013, 15:41
For those that remembered the Old Devonport Tech. I drove past the other day and it is now converted into flats called Victoria appartments.

derekhore
25th August 2013, 09:16
Hi Lucy ..

I think it was referred to as the 'blue' Dolphin because of the certain coloured micro-dots that were easily obtained in there! ;)

Barmyclaresdad
25th August 2013, 11:07
Hi Lucy, long time ago now but believe the building was the poly

LucyKnight
28th August 2013, 13:19
Hi Lucy ..

I think it was referred to as the 'blue' Dolphin because of the certain coloured micro-dots that were easily obtained in there! ;)

I wouldn't know because I tried extremely hard to avoid people into that sort of thing and in this area it was and still is extremely hard.

derekhore
28th August 2013, 13:23
I wouldn't know because I tried extremely hard to avoid people into that sort of thing and in this area it was and still is extremely hard.

Indeed - went in there once on a summers evening and couldn't believe what was going on - put it down to Uni students!
Beat a hasty retreat back to the Goodies I think!

LucyKnight
28th August 2013, 13:38
Seafarers service Plymouth Hoe/Barbican

If anyone's interested just above the Admiral Mcbride pub (and along from the Dolphin) before you get to the steps which led up to the Commercial Pub ( which closed for good at the beginning of this month) is a plaque on the wall erected in 1995 as a memorial to Merchant Navy seafarers who lost their lives. There is a service there on the 3rd of Sept at 11am.

derekhore
15th October 2013, 11:30
Seafarers service Plymouth Hoe/Barbican

If anyone's interested just above the Admiral Mcbride pub (and along from the Dolphin) before you get to the steps which led up to the Commercial Pub ( which closed for good at the beginning of this month) is a plaque on the wall erected in 1995 as a memorial to Merchant Navy seafarers who lost their lives. There is a service there on the 3rd of Sept at 11am.

Meant to post earlier - but I made it to the service, albeit arriving about 10 minutes late due to lorries and parking problems.
Thanks for the info Lucy.

Tony Selman
15th October 2013, 18:32
A very good friend of mine called Ken Lake who came from Woodbury near Exeter went to Plymouth for his PMG's (early to mid 60's) and MED (early 70's), I think. I came from Exeter but because my parents moved to the North West for a few years I took my tickets at Riversdale. I touched base with Ken again and he was with Reardon Smith's at that time (late 60's) but had previously been with B&C. He spent many years in the oil industry and is now retired in Fremantle.