Book

IAN M
6th August 2010, 22:54
My Book, 'life Aboard A Wartime Liberty Ship', Published By Amberley, Is Due Out On 1st October, 2010.

hawkey01
8th August 2010, 18:54
Ian,

I am sure that lots of ex RO'S including myself will be interested in your book.
Just let us know when it is available particularly in the - Radio Room -.
I don't think this would infringe any of the sites advertising criteria.

Rgds
Hawkey01

David McCabe
10th August 2010, 17:25
My Book, 'life Aboard A Wartime Liberty Ship', Published By Amberley, Is Due Out On 1st October, 2010.

Good luck on the launch of your book Ian. Interested to hear how long it took you and and publishing problems. Have recently had one published myself and am now writing abt my Apprenticeship in BP Tankers.
All the best David McCabe

IAN M
27th August 2010, 22:52
Good luck on the launch of your book Ian. Interested to hear how long it took you and and publishing problems. Have recently had one published myself and am now writing abt my Apprenticeship in BP Tankers.
All the best David McCabe

Thanks, David. The book was serialized in Nautical Magazine about 16 years ago. Can't say how long it took to write, but it's been honed over the years and Amberley accepted it after I sent two chapters. I have so many images (pictures, shore passes, tickets, etc.) that this has given me a great deal of work. I scanned the lot into jpg and put them all on to a cd, but, in many cases, this wasn't good enough and I had to send the originals. They have made the selection.

When were you at sea? What book did you have published? Good luck with your current one.

rickles23
28th August 2010, 08:13
Hi Ian M,
Like you I have many photographs and information on my Late Father's wartime ship, HMS Prins Albert. He was also trained as a Royal Navy Commando so I researched the Training Base as well.

My query is: should I try to put it into book form and what is the best way to achieve this?

Regards

IAN M
29th August 2010, 03:02
Hi Ian M,
Like you I have many photographs and information on my Late Father's wartime ship, HMS Prins Albert. He was also trained as a Royal Navy Commando so I researched the Training Base as well.

My query is: should I try to put it into book form and what is the best way to achieve this?

Regards

Dear Rickles

Find out all you can about the Prins Albert and add this to the information you have about your Dad. Scan photographs and other images and add captions, print the lot out with a title page included, and have your work bound. This makes a good souvenir for yourself and ensures that your Dad's experiences will not be forgotten. If you live near a university, they will do the binding at negligible cost. If you're thinking of publication, some magazine may accept the story, but publishers are unlikely to accept a book of less than 30000 words. You could, of course, enlarge your work by writing about your Dad's entire career in the Navy.

Regards

rickles23
29th August 2010, 08:39
Hi Ian M,
Thank you for the information and valuable advice..(Thumb)
Getting the pages bound will definatly make a good souvenir for the family and Dad's experiences as you say will not be forgotten.

Re the 30000 words, no problem as I can add the sister ships to his story as well as a few original crew members stories.

At this time I am putting all the different sections onto Powerpoint and I have just started the Bombay Explosion which then tallies up with the Indian Navy Mutiny.

Regards

IAN M
29th August 2010, 22:43
Hi Ian M,
Thank you for the information and valuable advice..(Thumb)
Getting the pages bound will definatly make a good souvenir for the family and Dad's experiences as you say will not be forgotten.

Re the 30000 words, no problem as I can add the sister ships to his story as well as a few original crew members stories.

At this time I am putting all the different sections onto Powerpoint and I have just started the Bombay Explosion which then tallies up with the Indian Navy Mutiny.

Regards

Dear Rickles

Sounds as if you have a major task on hand, but well worth the effort. When I did mine for the family, I inserted the images on the appropriate pages, but publishers print them together as it's cheaper.

Was interested to see you are in Port MacQuarrie, named as the governor of NSW. His mausoleum is on the Isle of Mull where we used to spend our summer holidays.

My website is given under my profile and my email address is given on my website, if you want to contact me directly.

Regards

Ian

rickles23
30th August 2010, 08:51
Hi Ian,
Your website is now filed under Ships 1 in my favourite websites.
Regards