QE2 Charters

Blue Bombay
8th August 2010, 12:22
The QE2 was chartered a few times during her long sea going life, does any have any information? If so please share it here more can be seen on the following link

http://www.qe2-the-legend.com/qe2-charters-f6/

foodsvcmgr
6th March 2011, 17:25
I am aware of at least two - a trip to Israel around 1973 and a
short voyage from New York to San Salvador Island in the Bahamas
for the Columbus Quincentennial in 1992.

gwzm
6th March 2011, 17:38
In 1987, if I recall correctly, QEII was chartered by Digital Equipment Company (DEC) to provide accommodation, conference, and restaurant facilities as part of our DECworld expo in Boston.

gwzm

Peter Eccleson
17th March 2011, 22:33
Don't forget that very high profile 'charter' to the Ministry of defence in 1982 - the Falklands war!!

Ameritron
29th January 2014, 22:48
I can remember 2 more, New York press cruise from -to New York (paper never opened), and we did 2 3 day cruises from Bremerhaven for an insurance company (we stocked up with beer for the 2 cruises before we left and ran out halfway through the first thirsty people those Germans)

Malcolm S
3rd February 2014, 19:01
Probably the most successful charter was to the Time Life people. Although we arrived in NY six hours late we sailed that night - on time, reached our destination on time (The Statue of Liberty) and back on the berth on time!

There were of course the Crimson Travel charters out of Boston.

Malcolm

canberra97
14th January 2015, 22:39
I think everyone had forgotten the Japenese charter in 1988 where she was berthed in the port of Yokohama for 72 days from 30th March to 06th June, the fascination of the QE2 resulted in a further charter in 1990 for 180 days this time in Osaka as a hotel for the World Exposition which was held in the city that year.

ninabaker
14th January 2015, 22:59
Not sure of the year but perhaps10 years ago??? She was chartered to bring a shipload of golfing fanatics over from the States to Fife for the Open at St Andrews. I believe they drove golf balls off the ship the whole way across the Pond. She was anchored in the Firth of Forth and vast pontoons were established in Anstruther harbour, almost filling it, for the launches to bring the passengers ashore.

We were going on our annual holiday on the Isle of May and usually got taken by a fishing boat out to the island, from Anstruther. But that year we had to go from Pittenweem instead as the whole of Anstruther harbour was out of bounds. We did do a circuit of the ship on our way out to the island though.

n

Tanuki
14th August 2015, 15:54
There was also the Young Presidents Organisation (YPOs) in the early 70's. I think a 'cruise to Nowhere' out of New York ... or was it Boston?

Stephen J. Card
14th August 2015, 17:42
She was chartered to bring a shipload of golfing fanatics over from the States to Fife for the Open at St Andrews. I believe they drove golf balls off the ship the whole way across the Pond. .

n

Lovely. Anything else thrown overboard is called pollution!

Twenty years ago they had to stop trap shooting off QE2. Nothing to do with security and shot guns... that was not the problems.... the 'shot' was considered pollution. The pigeons were not clay... degradable 'paper' using electronic lazer guns. Makes me laugh. You can't use shot... and all over the US East & West Coasts are littered with naval ship... scuttled as 'reefs'. Hmmmmm!