Company Contract

R798780
12th November 2005, 10:40
Submitted to the dreaded contract to have my wife join me on Maihar in 1970. It was never cancelled.

john g
12th November 2005, 16:49
I remember finishing my time with Cunard-Brocks and being presented with a contract to sign. It was all a bit confusing at the time senior staff said sign up others said no way they can send you to any ship. Bearing in mind Brocks had some fine examples to avoid in the late 60's I declined and replied that I could not see any advantage in "signing up". The reply from the crew dept simply asked for a reasonable period of notice.....I finally left 2 1/2 years later non the worse for not signing. The last trip I did I recieved a months extra pay as "short hand money" following some hard times on the Manipur. Question....did any other Brocks guys ever get short hand money ? according to the last chief it was unheard of but maybe he had the "contract"!!...john g

michael james
12th November 2005, 20:50
Hugh. Obviously you were a more dedicated Brocklebank man than I ! ...a pic of my contract signed but something made me hesitate to return it to Head Office, and I never did . Left company 18 months later.

Why does one keep these "momentoes" ?

Derek Roger
12th November 2005, 21:18
I was also on contract. We were told it was mandatory ! Must find mine and as Hugh says they never expire . We should all give Kvaernar a call at the pension office and ask for a ship !!

You will note there is a 3 month notice .Perhaps they will pay us . What do you think chaps ??

Never heard of short hand money ( dont know how one could expect it on the steamers . Maipura had 19 Engineers / apprentices and engine room crew .!!)

I did manage to get "Run " money in delivering the Parthia to Hong Kong to the Aussies . We were all contract men ! and we found the crew ( white ) from the London Pool were getting " Run pay " and the oiler was going to be earning more than I ( 2nd Eng )Only time I got really Pissed off with Brocks !

I called up the Merchant Navy / Airline Officers Union rep and he came down to the ship in London . The Aussies were more than willing to pay the the premium which apparently was the norm at the time .
After a lot of talking and threats of mutiny Brocks HR finally gave in and we all recieved the Bonus .

Alf Wilson ( Super ) told me I had really pissed off the HR group ; I said " Good "

Derek

R798780
12th November 2005, 21:28
Must find mine and as Hugh says they never expire .
Derek

I didn't say they never expired, mine was never cancelled. It calls itself Cunard-Brocklebank, we went through the Cunard phase, then Cunard-Ellerman, and finally we were sold to P&O who pensioned me off when I got belly ache. Only got myself contracted to take my wife away with me, Maihar and Mahseer.

john g
19th November 2005, 18:09
Just for the record regarding "short hand money". Manipur ex Ivernia early 70's running from Chalna to Durban. Chief ...unwell. 2nd ....bad eye infection, 3rd...injured hand hospitalised in Chalna, 4th(self)...ok, 5th ....serious skin infection, apprentice.....ok. So the watches went as follows. 12/4...electrician and app 4/8..2nd 8/12...4th and we managed to remove a damaged RR alternator and never lost the cargo of frozen frogs legs !!!.......Well we felt quite pleased at the time.....john g

Derek Roger
20th November 2005, 02:30
Just for the record regarding "short hand money". Manipur ex Ivernia early 70's running from Chalna to Durban. Chief ...unwell. 2nd ....bad eye infection, 3rd...injured hand hospitalised in Chalna, 4th(self)...ok, 5th ....serious skin infection, apprentice.....ok. So the watches went as follows. 12/4...electrician and app 4/8..2nd 8/12...4th and we managed to remove a damaged RR alternator and never lost the cargo of frozen frogs legs !!!.......Well we felt quite pleased at the time.....john g

Frog Leg money would have been appropriate ! Not short hand ? Derek