Which pier in NY

john g
12th August 2010, 17:48
Can anyone remember which piers the Mickey Mouse boats used ? I remember being berthed on the Saxonia but within sight of one of the Queens before their demise. We were able to walk to most of the places of interest like the Market Diner and the well known stores playing the end of the line "cunard yanks". All around the late sixties.

holland25
12th August 2010, 20:45
Would it have been Pier 92?

gwzm
12th August 2010, 22:43
I don't know about the Mickey Mouse boats but the Alaunia and Andania docked on Pier 54. The Queens were on Pier 92 as far as I recall.

Happy days,

gwzm

Pat Kennedy
12th August 2010, 22:48
Across the dock from the 'Queens' it was pier 94.
Regards,
Pat

callpor
12th August 2010, 23:28
Correction. In 1967/68/69The Alaunia & Andania berthed at Pier 32 by the Holland Tunnel entance at the end of Canal Street working a joint service with CGT. The Queens etc berthed way uptown at Cunard Piers Piers 90/92 in way of 42nd/50th Streets. Not sure where the Micky Mouser boats went, but probably the Cunard Piers. Cheers.Chris

R396040
13th August 2010, 21:56
Piers 92-94 opposite Market Diner. Then later down at Greenwich Village close to His Fathers Mustache,great bar,think that might have beenPier 54 ? I sailed on most ofthe Cunard cargo boats1957/1972 as PCS. Resent them being called Micky Mouse boats, think that came from some of the Brocks guys when the companies began sharing officers,I know I wasnt to keen on the move in oppositedirection to the old Matra.
S(George)Henderson

gwzm
14th August 2010, 00:25
I was on the Alaunia and Andania in 1965 relieving Frank Dunn and Brian Farren who were the permanent R/Os on the whisky run from Glasgow. I'm pretty certain we were on Pier 54 at that time.

Pat Kennedy
14th August 2010, 09:29
Piers 92-94 opposite Market Diner. Then later down at Greenwich Village close to His Fathers Mustache,great bar,think that might have beenPier 54 ? I sailed on most ofthe Cunard cargo boats1957/1972 as PCS. Resent them being called Micky Mouse boats, think that came from some of the Brocks guys when the companies began sharing officers,I know I wasnt to keen on the move in oppositedirection to the old Matra.
S(George)Henderson
They werent called Mickey Mouse boats when I was in the Ivernia.
I joined her in the Caledon Shipyard in Dundee, and found her to be the best ship I was ever in.
She always berthed at Pier 94 in my time, the two Queens berthed across the dock at Pier 92, and so did Andania Alaunia etc. That was 1964/65
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Stuart.Henderson
14th August 2010, 10:05
I was on the Andania 66/67 and seem to recall our berth being Pier 49 with the Parthia etc berthing on the other side of the pier. We were certainly at Lower Manhattan as it was only a few minutes walk to Greenwich Village. There was a pub directly opposite the pier the name of which I have long since forgotten.

kingorry
14th August 2010, 10:16
The 'Queens' and other principal Cunard passenger ships berthed at Pier 90 (foot of West 50th Street) until mid 1963. They then shifted to Pier 92 (foot of West 52nd Street). Pier 94 was a newly-refurbished pier and was used by the Cunard cargo vessels from about 1964.
John Shepherd

howardang
14th August 2010, 12:58
They werent called Mickey Mouse boats when I was in the Ivernia.
I joined her in the Caledon Shipyard in Dundee, and found her to be the best ship I was ever in.
She always berthed at Pier 94 in my time, the two Queens berthed across the dock at Pier 92, and so did Andania Alaunia etc. That was 1964/65
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

I remember them being referred to as the "Lambrettas". I sailed on most of them in the mid 60's and we used peirs 90,92 and 94. The Andania and Alaunia usually berthed at pier 54.

Regards

Howard Anguish

R396040
14th August 2010, 18:03
I was on the Andania 66/67 and seem to recall our berth being Pier 49 with the Parthia etc berthing on the other side of the pier. We were certainly at Lower Manhattan as it was only a few minutes walk to Greenwich Village. There was a pub directly opposite the pier the name of which I have long since forgotten.

Hi Stuart.
From another Stuart Henderson Cunard,also known as George

uisdean mor
17th August 2010, 15:13
Slightly different tack here gents.
When MFR was taken over I did several trips as second and reefer. Mostly straight forward trips from Caribbean- South America straight to Antwerp for the monday morning market. Salen charter and all that data logger stuff was a bit spooky then.
Anyway there was the occassional Dole charter of pineapples to New York.
Docking underneath Brooklyn bridge in the East river.
Instead of the usual panic and rushing about as hatches were opened up, discharge plans sxcrutinised and the work put under way the New York arrival was always very low key. No customs , no real plan and just a gentle reminder to open the hatches for inspection. The huge limos would turn up, the "gentlemen" in pin stripes and fedoras would have a turn round the deck and diasappear and then the cargo - whatever it was - was processed fairly routinely with no hassle and no reall quality control.
It seems it was a different world then??
Anyone with similar memories?
Rgds
Uisdean

Pat Kennedy
17th August 2010, 16:02
Slightly different tack here gents.
When MFR was taken over I did several trips as second and reefer. Mostly straight forward trips from Caribbean- South America straight to Antwerp for the monday morning market. Salen charter and all that data logger stuff was a bit spooky then.
Anyway there was the occassional Dole charter of pineapples to New York.
Docking underneath Brooklyn bridge in the East river.
Instead of the usual panic and rushing about as hatches were opened up, discharge plans sxcrutinised and the work put under way the New York arrival was always very low key. No customs , no real plan and just a gentle reminder to open the hatches for inspection. The huge limos would turn up, the "gentlemen" in pin stripes and fedoras would have a turn round the deck and diasappear and then the cargo - whatever it was - was processed fairly routinely with no hassle and no reall quality control.
It seems it was a different world then??
Anyone with similar memories?
Rgds
Uisdean

There was something going on with the longshoremen at Cunard.
I first noticed that each hatch had a gang composed of members of the same ethnicity. for example No 1 hatch was all Yugoslavs, No 2 hatch Italian, and so on. When the men assembled inside the shed on day one, the men in suits and fedoras were there, and money changed hands. The same faces appeared on board trip after trip.
it was hard not to believe that there was some sort of pay-off going on.
I once asked a hatch boss why there were no quayside cranes in New York. he looked at me like I was simple. ''because we wont allow it, it would put two men outa work''
They didnt like fork lift trucks either, most of the cargo was shifted by hand.
Pat(Thumb)

john g
18th August 2010, 12:51
Thanks guys it was certainly pier 90 something and yes there was something different about discharging cargo. The mickey mouse title was, I always thought, something associated with Liverpool humour I would have thought Brocks people would have had high regard for the Cunarders which were eons ahead of the Brocks steamers with the exception of the later Brocks motor ships.

Nick Jones
19th August 2010, 00:02
John,

Wasn't the Manipur ex Ivernia one of the so called "Mickey Mouse Boats" your last ship same as myself?
Cheers,
Nick Jones.

john g
19th August 2010, 15:10
John,

Wasn't the Manipur ex Ivernia one of the so called "Mickey Mouse Boats" your last ship same as myself?
Cheers,
Nick Jones.

Yes Nick remember it as if it were yesterday, the Manipur was the old Ivernia sister ship to the Saxonia. She was the Concordia Manipur for the run from New York to the gulf via the cape and there starts another story ..........To be honest I quite liked the MM boats though they were a bit small and never made enough fresh water.

callpor
19th August 2010, 23:10
I remember them being referred to as the "Lambrettas". I sailed on most of them in the mid 60's and we used peirs 90,92 and 94. The Andania and Alaunia usually berthed at pier 54.

Regards

Howard Anguish

Hi Howard,

....but by 1967 in their joint venture with CGT both Alaunia & Andania we running to Pier 32, south of the village adjacent to the Holland Tunnel entrance. There was also a local Market Diner at the convergencce of West Street and Canal. When they transferred to Brocks in 1969 and changed names they continued to run to Pier 32 in their new colours. I was sure you sailed on them from time to time in this service before many of us transferred to ACL and the bloody awful Port Elizabeth terminal. Cheers (from Riga, Latvia today!) Chris

Cunarder
24th August 2010, 03:41
John g and Nick - now there was a trip to remember!

Alan Marsden - R/O

john g
27th August 2010, 16:52
John g and Nick - now there was a trip to remember!

Alan Marsden - R/O

Hi Alan....any idea what happened to the "mad monk" ? he disappeared in Hamburg the night of the pay off and never appeared on the flight home.