Good Hope Castle

peter jacobs
16th August 2010, 13:10
hi all,

once again thank you to all the members that made this website possible. its great for research and tales of the old days, very interesting to read about personal experiences and accounts of those seaman that ventured out in our vast oceans.

i recall a family friend in the old days around 1966 his name was John Collins, was a Jnr Engineer on the Good hope castle, i heard he became a ship captain, then i was told he became a chief engineers.

does anyone know him to verify this?

regards

Peter(==D)

Billieboy
16th August 2010, 15:11
Peter, you have to remember that, a lot of the personal stories will never appear in print on here; the site would be closed down if even a couple, (of very true stories), were to be posted.

R58484956
16th August 2010, 19:09
From junior engineer to Chief engineer is quite normal, but junior engineer to Captain must be virtually unheard of.

Billieboy
16th August 2010, 19:44
From junior engineer to Chief engineer is quite normal, but junior engineer to Captain must be virtually unheard of.

I know two guys who started at the bottom and got to Master with a First Class Certificate steam and motor. one did it from engine room boy, got his tickets and then sat Masters and Extra Masters, sailed as Chief and Master at different times.

The other started as deck apprentice sat a BSc Maritime studies, then went below until he came up with a Chiefs ticket and job; then the was given a command.

Both became very senior superintendents in a very large fleet. They were, and hopefully still are, very nice blokes.

peter jacobs
16th August 2010, 19:46
Peter, you have to remember that, a lot of the personal stories will never appear in print on here; the site would be closed down if even a couple, (of very true stories), were to be posted.

Im sure, but all i wanted to know if anyone new John Collins and did he become a Captain or chief engineer in his maritime career, not being personal, i think its just a general question, i would ask him myself if i could.

Thanks

peter jacobs
16th August 2010, 19:58
I know two guys who started at the bottom and got to Master with a First Class Certificate steam and motor. one did it from engine room boy, got his tickets and then sat Masters and Extra Masters, sailed as Chief and Master at different times.

The other started as deck apprentice sat a BSc Maritime studies, then went below until he came up with a Chiefs ticket and job; then the was given a command.

Both became very senior superintendents in a very large fleet. They were, and hopefully still are, very nice blokes.

Interesting stuff,these guys would defnately be an asset to the company!

Chris Isaac
16th August 2010, 19:59
Try posting this question in the Union Castle Staff Register:
http://www.unioncastlestaffregister.co.uk/

peter jacobs
16th August 2010, 20:26
Try posting this question in the Union Castle Staff Register:
http://www.unioncastlestaffregister.co.uk/

Hi Chris,

been there, no joy! i thought maybe one of the union castle engineers new him on this web site.

thanks