Ben Line's first ship

DURANGO
17th August 2010, 02:51
I have been asked to build a ship in a bottle of Ben lines first ship ,which i am told was the Araby maid but I think there was one before her possibly the barque Carrara of which I have no photos and very little imformation come to that, I would very much appreciate any help, I have been asked to build many models of Blue funnels Agamemnon in the past which in fact was not there first ship which I later found out , best wishes .

Joe Freeman
17th August 2010, 04:37
Hi Durango. The following information is from a 1967 Ben Line Diary.
1828 The barque "Currara" built for the marble trade between Leghorn and Leith. This vessel is generally considered to have been the first unit of an independent Thomson fleet. There is no mention of the Araby Maid. However, in 1859 Araby Maid II sailed from Sunderland to Singapore, Japan and the far East returning home after two years. The first voyage to the Far East by a vessel under Thomson management.
I hope this helps.
Joe.

ian keyl
17th August 2010, 11:40
Hi Durango,
yes it was the first vessel as Joe has confirmed ,I can add some other info for you.
Details. O.N 26147 (British registerno) 218r.(registered tonnage)
88x20x14 feet. 8.1839 built by John Miller , Brucehaven Fife for Alexander and william thomson ,Leith
2,1847, Sold to N.smith ,Aberdeen and immeadiatly re-sold to R. Donald,Aberdeen.
2.1884 Sold to Adam and Co ,Aberdeen for emplyoment in the mediterranean trade.
12.1853 .sold to W.Mechin ,Shoreham Sussex.
19.3.1867 ,founded 30 miles off Queenstown ,Ireland.

Good luck with the keel laying and the rigging,remember to put plenty of bosuns goo on the topping lifts and the falls.
It used to fasinate me when in the Phillipines watching them in Cebu build ships and put them in Bottles. Mind you they used to have to wait for us to empty the bottles first.

I brought a model yatch home, from the Phillipines about 4feet long ,by the time we got to the UK half of it had vanished as the silver fish moths had devoured it .It was un beleavable.

Well off to do my chores holystone the the lounge sougee the kitchen and mix som basel for degreasing the car.

Best regards Ian.

DURANGO
17th August 2010, 14:23
I have been asked to build a ship in a bottle of Ben lines first ship ,which i am told was the Araby maid but I think there was one before her possibly the barque Carrara of which I have no photos and very little imformation come to that, I would very much appreciate any help, I have been asked to build many models of Blue funnels Agamemnon in the past which in fact was not there first ship which I later found out , best wishes . Thanks to Joe & Ian for your swift replys to my question was that the barque Carrara or was her name Currara [ I have spelt the names of ships wrong in the past I aint going down that road again ] I only have to find a decent photo of her to work with then I can get started on the keel I will for sure use plenty of goo on the topping lifts Ian I dont want to lose her in the first bit of heavy weather thanks again best wishes Dave .

ian keyl
18th August 2010, 01:36
Having looked thru all my B/L books she seems to be the only one , I had a feeling B/L did a print of a painting they had of Carrara . I will look thru what I have asap.
Rgds Ian.

DURANGO
18th August 2010, 13:27
Having looked thru all my B/L books she seems to be the only one , I had a feeling B/L did a print of a painting they had of Carrara . I will look thru what I have asap.
Rgds Ian.Thanks Ian much appreciated Dave .

ian keyl
18th August 2010, 19:37
Yes Dave, she was a Wooden Barque.Still looking for pics.
Rgds Ian

ian keyl
20th August 2010, 10:23
Good morning Darango,
Icannot find a picture of the Carrara but i do have aBen Line Lithograph print of the Benan 1875 The actual colourprint within the margin is about 12"x10".
If you wish to do this vessel then I could loan you the print or get it colour photo copied to send to you.
I also have some of the other vessels in the same format.

let me know if you are interested.

Regards Ian.

DURANGO
25th August 2010, 18:38
Good morning Darango,
Icannot find a picture of the Carrara but i do have aBen Line Lithograph print of the Benan 1875 The actual colourprint within the margin is about 12"x10".
If you wish to do this vessel then I could loan you the print or get it colour photo copied to send to you.
I also have some of the other vessels in the same format.

let me know if you are interested.

Regards Ian. Many thanks Ian for your very kind offer but the fella who wants me to build the ship wants to go with the Araby Maid , but funny enough when I started to have a good look through my own collection of shipping books I came across one I must have bought years ago in fact I cant remember every buying it , the title is [ The Ben Line the story of a merchant fleet at war 1939-1945 ] as far as I can tell it was printed in 1951 ,again I cant remember how I obtained it I suppose the old brain cells must be seizing up thanks again for all your help Dave .