Brocklebank. Personnel

baileysan
12th November 2005, 21:56
I have read all the comments from old Brocklebank hands with interest. I personally never sailed with them, however my very old friend and former collegue from UASC is an old Brocklebank engineer and former Superintendent. His name is Dennis Clark. lives in Wirral. I was telling him about this site and he was interested to hear all about Brocks. Unfortunately he is not into computors. Does anybody remember him. I believe their was two D.Clarks, one Don and the above Dennis. Don unfortunately died some time ago. Would pass on any messages from interested parties.
(Read)

Derek Roger
12th November 2005, 22:33
Yes I do remember Dennis ; he was Super in Calcutta. His nickname was " Mickey Spillane " because he would always be saying " Give me the facts " I met him only once in Calcutta when he was doing an engine room inspection . I was a Chota Wallah in those days . He and his wife had a miraculous escape when the Bum Boat they were on going ashore was capsized by the bore tide . I met him only once after that when I was Chief on the Mahsud or Maihar in the UK. I keep in touch will Alan Atack who Dennis would know . I hope he keeps well ; please pass on my Salamms .

Derek Roger

burkitt77
26th August 2006, 09:09
I remember Denis, I was to join Mihar as 2nd Eng in Sept 1950 but owing to the death of my father Joined Mannar on her maiden voyage. Andy Mckie, Ch.eng. Alf Wilson 2nd Eng, Me 3rd Eng Jonny Greenhough Jun. 3Rd, Denis Clark sen.4Th unfortunatley I can't put names to the remaing Engrs. appart from Jack Maquire, Ex heavy weight Boxer was Sen Electrician. They were the finest set of blokes you could ever wish to sail with. I seem to remember an incident in New york of a certain Eng. who was trying to buy his wife a PLAYTEX girdle. Better than many TV shows these days days. I left Manaar to go as 2nd On the Manipur that put paid to my time with Brocks and a sea going life. Regards to Denis and any other lads I knew, Happy Days No Regrets

noel grayson
26th August 2006, 10:33
I have read all the comments from old Brocklebank hands with interest. I personally never sailed with them, however my very old friend and former collegue from UASC is an old Brocklebank engineer and former Superintendent. His name is Dennis Clark. lives in Wirral. I was telling him about this site and he was interested to hear all about Brocks. Unfortunately he is not into computors. Does anybody remember him. I believe their was two D.Clarks, one Don and the above Dennis. Don unfortunately died some time ago. Would pass on any messages from interested parties.
(Read)Please pass my very best wishes to Dennis, who was 4th Engineer on the maiden voyage of the Manaar, when I was senior apprentice
"Nobby" Grayson

noel grayson
26th August 2006, 10:38
I remember Denis, I was to join Mihar as 2nd Eng in Sept 1950 but owing to the death of my father Joined Mannar on her maiden voyage. Andy Mckie, Ch.eng. Alf Wilson 2nd Eng, Me 3rd Eng Jonny Greenhough Jun. 3Rd, Denis Clark sen.4Th unfortunatley I can't put names to the remaing Engrs. appart from Jack Maquire, Ex heavy weight Boxer was Sen Electrician. They were the finest set of blokes you could ever wish to sail with. I seem to remember an incident in New york of a certain Eng. who was trying to buy his wife a PLAYTEX girdle. Better than many TV shows these days days. I left Manaar to go as 2nd On the Manipur that put paid to my time with Brocks and a sea going life. Regards to Denis and any other lads I knew, Happy Days No Regrets

I was senior apprentice on the Manaar on that first voyage. Archie Bannatyne was the old man, John Clark C/O . I remember Andy Mckie very well.

john g
26th August 2006, 13:42
Gentlemen, would the Andy Mckie C/E as mentioned, be from Birkenhead ? This guy sadly passed away many years ago but I believe he was a distant relative who got me into Brocks as an apprentice in the early 60's following a very informal interview with Davey McGrowther the then super in Liverpool. I remember he took me round the Maskeliya in Birkenhead to see what I thought of Brocks ships . My thoughts at the time about the engine room....if I ever understand this lot I will be a genius......and I did and am here to tell the story ..............

R58484956
26th August 2006, 17:38
Welcome aboard birkitt77 to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, most of us left the sea/ships years ago but our minds are still there.

Tony Sprigings
2nd October 2006, 17:14
The Clark that Derek refers to was Don Clark and the accident occured when he and his wife were visiting me on the Mahout.The sampan was being handled by a young man without experience and he lost control. The sampan hit some barges side on and rolled all the passengers into the river. It was midnight and most of them drowned. Don Clark was swept under the barges and fetched up clinging to a buoy whilst his wife, who had clung on to the upturned sampan was swept up river. Miraculously, the launch that rescued her passed the bouy that Don was clinging to and he was also rescued. All this in the pitch darkness.

Derek Roger
2nd October 2006, 22:23
Tony I stand corrected ; it was Don Clark ( " Mickey Spillane " )

baileysan
3rd October 2006, 21:38
I hope to see Dennis in the near future for a beer. He unfortunatly broke his leg quite recently and has been out of action. He is nearing 80 so a bit wobbly on his feet.
I will pass on all the good wishes.
As a matter of interest Dennis meets up with Don Clarks wife(Don I believe died some time ago) she lives in Surrey.

Georgeson
18th January 2010, 21:43
(Read)

Hi this is Paul Georgeson, I sailed with Dennis on either Mahout when a cargo ship ran into No 4 hatch in Japan. Met the Second Engineer at the time who still lives on the Wirral Norman somthing his wife was Doreen Please pass on my regards

Georgeson
18th January 2010, 21:50
Yes I do remember Dennis ; he was Super in Calcutta. His nickname was " Mickey Spillane " because he would always be saying " Give me the facts " I met him only once in Calcutta when he was doing an engine room inspection . I was a Chota Wallah in those days . He and his wife had a miraculous escape when the Bum Boat they were on going ashore was capsized by the bore tide . I met him only once after that when I was Chief on the Mahsud or Maihar in the UK. I keep in touch will Alan Atack who Dennis would know . I hope he keeps well ; please pass on my Salamms .

Derek Roger
Hi Derek, I'm afarid I have not been very good in keeping up with events,
I moved from the South Coast to Cleethorpes in May 2008 and loiving every minute of it. Am still working??? as a Marine Consultant for my own company Georgeson Associates for a Shipyard Agents in Grimsby, Encompass Marine. We do not represent a yard in Canada, put do represent Sub Sea Solutions, called All Seas. Hears that there may be reunion this year what do you know about this

Derek Roger
19th January 2010, 01:21
Hi Derek, I'm afarid I have not been very good in keeping up with events,
I moved from the South Coast to Cleethorpes in May 2008 and loiving every minute of it. Am still working??? as a Marine Consultant for my own company Georgeson Associates for a Shipyard Agents in Grimsby, Encompass Marine. We do not represent a yard in Canada, put do represent Sub Sea Solutions, called All Seas. Hears that there may be reunion this year what do you know about this

Hi Paul ;
Sorry I am late in getting back but have been on vacation down in Daytona Beach with the Mem .
I shall be home in a couple of days and will send a pm to get up to date .

Daytona had a record low temp and snow while we were there ; timing a bit off but enjoyable in any event . Have a look in my gallery you will see a few from Mahout.

Cheers Derek

Derek Roger
19th January 2010, 01:37
The engineer you refer to Paul is Norman Hatton and wife Doreen . I am in touch with him from time to time . He is a member but not very active ( we shall have to rectify that )

Salam Derek

Jim S
19th January 2010, 20:46
Anyone any idea when Don (Mickey Spillane) died? I remember he visited the Snr 3rd Eng and myself in Woodlands Hospital, Calcutta when we were both hospitalised from Maidan in early 1963 with suspected smallpox - Fortunately we did not have it - the hospital stay was excellent though !
On Mathura at end of 1963 I was spotted by him sneaking aboard after an all nighter in Calcutta and reported to the Chief Engineer. Maybe that is one reason why I went from the Premier League of Mathura to Magdapur in the
3rd Division.
At that time Don wore a leather jerkin with an Eagle motif on the back.

Trevor
19th January 2010, 21:40
Anyone any idea when Don (Mickey Spillane) died? I remember he visited the Snr 3rd Eng and myself in Woodlands Hospital, Calcutta when we were both hospitalised from Maidan in early 1963 with suspected smallpox - Fortunately we did not have it - the hospital stay was excellent though !
On Mathura at end of 1963 I was spotted by him sneaking aboard after an all nighter in Calcutta and reported to the Chief Engineer. Maybe that is one reason why I went from the Premier League of Mathura to Magdapur in the
3rd Division.
At that time Don wore a leather jerkin with an Eagle motif on the back.

I was treated at Woodlands after being scalded on the Macharda in 1959, I agree, they were excellent. The doctor that treated me was from the oil industry and really knew his stuff, hardly any scarring.

Tony Sprigings
20th January 2010, 14:22
Trevor.. The date of Don Clark's death was 27/6/2000. He was cremated at Randalls Park Crematorium in Surrey on 3/7/2000.