The sailing ship "Viking"

lagerstedt
12th November 2005, 23:13
I will post a photo of the ship " Viking" and when I can reduce it size. The photo was taken mid 1975 in Gothenberg, Sweden. Is any member able to tell me something about her life. Size of crew, conditions on board, where she sailed, cargos, when build etc etc

Regards

Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

Jan Hendrik
12th November 2005, 23:22
Post the photo and no doubt somebody will inform you all about this vesel as there have been several ships called "Viking"

lagerstedt
12th November 2005, 23:35
Attached is a b/w photo of the sailing ship "Viking". Photo taken in Gothenberg about 1975.

Jan Hendrik
13th November 2005, 00:18
Blair,
You can find some information about this museum ship on following site:

http://www.liseberg.se/Liseberg/Engelska/Liseberg+Island/Accomodation/Hotel+Barken+Viking/HISTORIA/HISTORIA.htm

I think this is the one you are looking for.
Jan

lagerstedt
13th November 2005, 01:30
Thanks for the info. A coat of paint and a refit makes a big difference. It's great to see these old timers still in use today. The "Viking" is nearly 100 years old. Great going-and has out lasted many of the modern high-tech ships build these days. Bring back sail I say. How many modern days crews would last on a ship like the "Viking"?

My late Grandfather (he past away in the early 1960's aged in his late 80's) sailed on sailing ships out of southern Sweden. Given the wealth of knowledge members of this web site have I will find the name of his ships and see what info I can find about them through this site.

Regards

Blair Lagerstedt.
NZ

Bob S
13th November 2005, 14:20
Saw her at Gothenburg in 1999, all I know is that she built in 1907 and is 2959 grt. Presently used as a hotel.
I've got some photos taken then, will post in the near future.

Bob S
13th November 2005, 16:05
Photographed at Gothenburg during May 1999.

stein
8th November 2006, 18:45
I've got a book on the Viking. "Viking", by Jan Davidson. ISBN 91-972129 2-x. Published in Gothenburg in 1995. It may still be obtainable. I bought it onboard, about 4 years ago. I always stay there when in Gothenburg, it is run as a combination hotel personell school and hotel. Cheap, clean , nice surroundings. You may call them and ask about the book if you are interested. Or if there is something particular you want to know about her, you may ask me. Can't post the whole book though. Stein

stein
9th November 2006, 08:20
Quoting A. A. Hurst: She was built by Burmeister & Wain in Copenhagen for the Danish United Steamship Company as a sail-training vessel. When fitting out, in 1907, with her ballast tanks empty, she was struck by a squall an fell over on to the sheds alongside, doing considerable damage to both them an herself. This delayed matters and the builders indemnified the owners against her first, lost charter. From then on she was very successful. She survived the first war, with neutrality flags painted on her side, but, when the Danish five masted sail-training barque Koebenhavn went missing with all hands in 1928, there was a certain panic, as a result of which the Viking was sold to Gustaf Erikson of Mariehamn. She became well known in the so called "grain races" from Australia until the 1939 war and made one of the few square rigger passages on this run after it was over, but was then sold out of service and is still preserved in some sort in Goethenburg. (end of quote)
The formerly mentioned book, see posting above this one, did as far as I can remember have an English version, it is a typical tourist trade publication. Their phone number is, or was recently, 31 63 58 00, with the suitable prefix. They do speak English in the reception. Best wishes, Stein.