All the best for Christmas,
Billy

william dillon
14th December 2005, 21:44
Thanks a lot !!! That is her!!
All the best for Christmas,
Billy

Billy,
Do you remember an engineer named Ron Blacklaws when you were on the Ben Cruachan ?.
Billy (*))

EBenarty
22nd December 2005, 20:29
Billy,
Do you remember an engineer named Ron Blacklaws when you were on the Ben Cruachan ?.
Billy (*))
Hi William,
Yes I remember Ron Blacklaws I think he was 3 rd Engineer and abit of a character.Was he from Glasgow ?
Regards,
Billy

william dillon
22nd December 2005, 22:33
Hi William,
Yes I remember Ron Blacklaws I think he was 3 rd Engineer and abit of a character.Was he from Glasgow ?
Regards,
Billy
Billy,

Ron is still a bit of a character, that's putting it mildly, he originates from Stonehaven in Aberdeenshire.
I will see Ron tomorrow & let him know that you remember him, thanks for making contact.
(*))

SCOTHEDE
22nd January 2006, 22:20
Is there anybody on board who sailed on the Benchruachan in 1973 when she "broke her back " in heavy seas off Durban?
I was 4th engineer on the tanker MV Flowergate at the time and we went to her assistance. We prepared to take people off but it turned out it wasn't necessary, however we stayed close by until the weather eased and tugs came out from Durban to take her in.
We passed the Bencruachan some months later as we were heading south in the Atlantic and she was heading home after having some repairs done.

EBenarty
3rd February 2006, 23:42
Tell him to email me!!!

william dillon
5th February 2006, 21:11
Tell him to email me!!!

Billy,

I'll see Ron tomorrow (Monday) I'll get him to "e" mail you from our ofice. (Thumb) (Thumb)

Black Sea Kid
15th February 2006, 15:19
undefinedI sailed on her for 2 years from maiden voyage 1968

Hi EBenarty

This was the posting that got me interested in the site. I joined this vessel (as a first trip Cadet) at East India Dock, believe 1969 (could be the year earlier) after the vessel had been involved in the incident at the Thames anchorage inward bound from Voyage 1 - imagine my horror, bright eyed and bushy tailed, rounding the sheds to be faced with a hole on the port side bow section. Believe I did around 5 or 6 trips on the vessel - Japan Star service via Panama. Great time, good squad onboard - infact most of them still etched in my mind even though maybe the names fail me.

Thanks for reminding me.
All the best/BSK

EBenarty
15th February 2006, 22:58
Hi,
You must be Willie Anderson from Yell or John Holmes from Hull !! ThankYou for replying great to hear from you.
I wason the maiden voyage when the Russian tanker coming out from Sheerness in thick fog collided with us on our port bow.
I remember the Japan Star run well , great times - great crew -Captain Ken Hardie, C/O Willie Mason, !st .Mate Bob Shaw, 2nd Mate John Phillips, 3rd Mate Les ? (who used to sing the Ben Line songs). Not to forget the great Deck Crew -
Tom Dunston - Bosun , Harry Nutton Chippy, Jimmy Torrie - AB, Charlie Sedgewick AB, Willie MainAB, Davie Goodbrand AB< and a lot others.
Contact me on private mail with your address.
Regards,
Billy Sinclair.

peteratow
16th February 2006, 14:30
Did 8 trips on the Cruachan as EDH from 06/70 to 08/72. Happy ship with a good crew. Hardie left about 01/02, supposed to be going on the first containership Benalder.
I did the maiden voyage on the Alder about 10/72 and he was skipper. Paddy Aitken who had been mate on the Cruachan for a while was also there.

Black Sea Kid
16th February 2006, 17:51
Did 8 trips on the Cruachan as EDH from 06/70 to 08/72. Happy ship with a good crew. Hardie left about 01/02, supposed to be going on the first containership Benalder.
I did the maiden voyage on the Alder about 10/72 and he was skipper. Paddy Aitken who had been mate on the Cruachan for a while was also there.

Hi peteratow,
Trying to put a name and a face to the time as surely EBenarty and myself was on board when you joined - any noteable events you can remember such as whales wrapped round bows or something similar.

Trying to think that if we can keep this link going, might be able to get the whole "squad" together on-line.

By the way, the 3rd Mate was Les Morrison.

Keep in touch/BSK

EBenarty
17th February 2006, 21:06
Hi ,
I was on the Cruachan from 9/9/68 to 19/3/70 so did not sail with you on board her, but may have sailed with you later on one of the many Ben Boats I sailed on.

Patrick Finselbach
18th February 2006, 07:53
Hello Gentlemen,I have been following some of your correspondence about the Benchruachan,I never sailed on her but passed in either the Sheldt or the Elbe early on in the seventies.She was crabbing up the river looking a very sorry sight ,I believe she had been a victim of the rogue sea in the Agulhas current off South Africa.I can sympathise with those on board as I suffered a similar fate on the Port Chalmers a little while earlier though not as destructive as befell her. I do have a photo of her with a very large patch between number 1 and 2 holds showing her bow and fore mast leaning forward at a guess 10 degrees.Iwill have to do some more rummaging about to try and find out when it was that I saw her in South Dock London as I was either on the Port Launceston or St., Lawrence and took the photo as we passed down her starboard side. Hopefully I should to put the photo up shortly when some body shows me how to do it. I used to know quite a few lads from Ben Line as I was in the opposition in the late sixties sailing on the P boats for Blue Flue and played a few games of soccer against them and engoyed a few drinks in Henry's Bar and the Waltsing Matilda in Kowloon.TAFFY Finselbach

EBenarty
18th February 2006, 23:40
DO YOU REMEMBER 'POO CHAN 'THE LABRADOUR which we looked after and spoiled!!

Black Sea Kid
19th February 2006, 08:07
Morning EBenarty

Have you seem my private message sent on 15th and 18th ???

All the best/BSK

R58484956
19th February 2006, 12:07
Welcome patrick to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

EBenarty
19th February 2006, 23:41
Have replied !!

EBenarty
4th March 2006, 21:10
Morning EBenarty

Have you seem my private message sent on 15th and 18th ???

All the best/BSK
John,
Main computer crashed, and have been working on laptop until today as my eldest son has built a new computer for us.
Please send your private address again.
You will find a lot of our old pals in the Ben Line Unofficial website run by Chris Cladingbowl,whom you may remember. It is very good site but has not been updated for a couple of years, but still loads of stuff in the guest books which are still being updating.
Bill

Derek Roger
4th March 2006, 22:27
Billy We seem to have lost touch ; Liz sent a link for me to contact you on but I have been having email probs . Sorted out now so will get back in contact .
Derek

EBenarty
6th March 2006, 21:48
Hi Derek!
We've had problems at this end. The old pc crashed but we used the laptop while this new beast was being built by No.1 son . . . we are now flying along:-)) Caught nothing on the laptop though.
EBenarty@aol.com
If folk send weird stuff that I don't recognise, I just delete anywayand I have Billy well trained :-))
Hope all's fine at your end. Iy seems like yesterday that we were all doing the "daft stuff" in Aberdeen:-))
Be good! ( I know, I'm a spoilsport! )
Liz

roymuir
18th June 2006, 15:05
G'day all, did the last trip in the 'cruachan then took her to the knackers in Kaohsiung. Will try and attach a photo taken in the Malacca Straits on the way. Hope it works out.

DURANGO
19th June 2006, 15:06
G'day all, did the last trip in the 'cruachan then took her to the knackers in Kaohsiung. Will try and attach a photo taken in the Malacca Straits on the way. Hope it works out. Just looking through the thread would like to know what actually happened to the Bencruahan [ have i got the name right ] when she had to limp home , i was in a few Bluey,s although i was a pool man out of London , the only reason i ended up on Blue Flue was i joined an old tramp out east in 61 i only joined her for the plane ride ,got more than i bargained for paid off sick in Shanghai and from the hospital window i could see the dock sheds i,m sure that i could see A.H. on the roof of the sheds ,as was the Ben line house flag on the sheds in the London docks , spent a month in hospital long story ,then down to Hong Kong by train [still got my visa and train tickets to this day ] i have to say how well i was treated in China they realy did look after me i was only 19 years old at the time , when i got to Hong Kong i expected to be sent home d.b.s. but instead i was flown home on a comet 4 the same way that i got out there and i still have my plane tickets as well , at that time the single fare London to Hong Kong was £208 i would love to know how much that is in todays money happy days at least we were there .

roymuir
26th June 2006, 10:43
Here's another pic of 'cruachan after the patch-up job.

muldonaich
25th August 2006, 22:23
hi you ben boat men i was just talking to an old ben line bosun tonite in hospital he is johnathan macniel from barra anybody remember him regards kev.

Derek Roger
26th August 2006, 02:14
Billy / Liz
I will be in Inverness this October . I think I saw somwhere you are in Dingwall . We should get together for a dram ! Send me a pm if that suits .

Derek Roger
11th October 2006, 10:37
Hi Derek!
We've had problems at this end. The old pc crashed but we used the laptop while this new beast was being built by No.1 son . . . we are now flying along:-)) Caught nothing on the laptop though.
EBenarty@aol.com
If folk send weird stuff that I don't recognise, I just delete anywayand I have Billy well trained :-))
Hope all's fine at your end. Iy seems like yesterday that we were all doing the "daft stuff" in Aberdeen:-))
Be good! ( I know, I'm a spoilsport! )
Liz

Hi !
I missed this message for some reason ;Only about a year late!
Am in Inverness for a couple of weeks visiting family. Fishing closed but may go out on the Loch for a jaunt if the weather is not to bad / windy .
I broke the same leg about 15 years ago , ( poor thing ! Ive given it a bit of a hammering over the years)
I am being good; not by choice ! but thats what happens to old farts I suppose.
Derek

Paul Barford
11th October 2006, 11:46
Here's another photo from my collection, sailed on the 'Cruachan on her last full voyage.Plagued with boiler trouble most of the voyage,anchored of Raffles Light for tube plugging,boiler tubes burst again on stand-by going up the Humber to Hull on the last leg before I signed off, we only just made it up the river! By this time some of us were living in the passenger cabins,which was nice, but never trusted the foward end in bad weather!!
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Liu
12th October 2006, 03:13
Is there anyone here who was on Ben Cruachan in 1973? There was a Dr. Gordon Avery sent an email to Ben Line that told this story about the encounter of rogue wave when he and his wife were passengers there:
My wife (16 weeks pregnant) and I were passengeres on "Bencruachan" from Singapore when it was hit by the rogue wave off Durban on 2 May (not April as recorded in your website} 1973. Capt Sinclair was on his last voyage before retiring and the ship was delayed because we had to drop off a sick crew man with appendicitis in Medan, Sumatra. We should have called at Durban for bunkers but due to congestion were diverted to Cape Town which we never of course reached. We remember the episode well since we were helicoptered off and then spent 10 days in Durban before being flown home.It was some wave, some bang I can tell you.

highlander403
24th January 2008, 21:41
did a coast on cruachan in late 71, any of you guys remember aber davidson the chief engineer from fraserburgh, sadly aber died a year or so ago

scotty

ALLANREID
18th June 2008, 01:08
Hi, I was on the Cruachan...2 trips as `Peggy` `n 2 trips as JOS......A GREAT 1ST `stint`@ sea.....she was a beauty...`n fast too !! she got damaged just after I left her....I wasn`t on her for her maiden voyage but joined shortly after.
My oldest brother also joined it while I was there....his name was Charlie Reid AB
He made a 6` model of her while he was onboard.....the bow thruster even worked !!...I remember the Captain used to look-in @ the spare cabin every Sunday to see how he was progressing !!
Tom the Bosun `decked` me one time for laughing in the alleyway one day just as we left Kobe......he`d asked one of his regular bar girls ( Checko ?? ) to marry him & she`d refused `n he thought I was laughing about that !!??
Harry Nutten the Chippy was a smashing fella....heard he`d passed away.
Enjoyed the experience all the same `n look back with fond memories.

philwindsor
18th July 2008, 15:22
did the last voyage on the cruachan to the scrapyard in koashiung.
had about 4 days in the scrapyard because the 2nd mate flew to the uk with the cheque but i be lieve the plane broke down. Certainly not much stores and suchlike left but had a good time up the road.The lads i remember were
Kiwi Muir ab,Skip Reid ab,Watty Cunningham ab, Derrick Ferrier bosun,

peteratow
18th July 2008, 20:14
Remember you and Charlie well. Also remember the model Charlie made, she was a beauty. I did 8 trips on the Cruachan, leaving in August 72. Enjoyed my time on her as Ken Hardie was a good master who ran a happy ship. Regards, Peter Thomson-Shetland

slimjim45
13th October 2008, 20:58
i was an ab on the Bencruachan when we got into diffulcties of Durban i have a photo of the Flowergate standing by we was in Durban for over two months getting repaired slimjim45

mmb3
9th November 2008, 12:10
I know who was the 3/eng on watch at the time and by all accounts was the first to realise things were wrong and whose actions went a long way to saving her. He was Hughie (Shuggie) Clark. Alongside him was a cadet called Jim Pitkethly. The 2nd was Willie Mair and electrician Keith Pearson. Years later I sailed on the Benalder and the engine room team was Ch/eng W. Mair,
2/e Jim Pitkethly, 3/e Hughie Clark, Ch/elect Keith Pearson.
Sadly Hughie passed away 2-3 years ago shortly after retiring. I sailed with him many times when I was a cadet and junior. Hughie could both educate and entertain you with many yarns, and I never tired of hearing them. As said above it is other's accounts that heap praise on his actions. Hughie would say he was "just doin ma joab"
Hope this helps
Myles

BillH
9th November 2008, 12:15
I know who was the 3/eng on watch at the time and by all accounts was the first to realise things were wrong and whose actions went a long way to saving her. He was Hughie (Shuggie) Clark. Alongside him was a cadet called Jim Pitkethly. The 2nd was Willie Mair and electrician Keith Pearson. Years later I sailed on the Benalder and the engine room team was Ch/eng W. Mair,
2/e Jim Pitkethly, 3/e Hughie Clark, Ch/elect Keith Pearson.
Sadly Hughie passed away 2-3 years ago shortly after retiring. I sailed with him many times when I was a cadet and junior. Hughie could both educate and entertain you with many yarns, and I never tired of hearing them. As said above it is other's accounts that heap praise on his actions. Hughie would say he was "just doin ma joab"
Hope this helps
Myles
BENCRUACHAN

O.N. 335165. 12,092g. 7,097n. 14,884d. 553’ 0” (BB) x 76’ 9” x 33’ 4” oa
Pametrada design steam turbine, made by Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Company Ltd., Wallsend, double reduction geared to propeller shaft. 20,000 SHP. 21½kts.

16.4.1968: Launched by Upper Clyde Shipbuilders Ltd., (Scotstoun Division), Glasgow (Yard No. 511) for the Ben Line Steamers Ltd., (Wm. Thomson & Company, managers), Leith.

12.9.1968: Completed.

3.5.1973: Struck by a very large wave when 74 miles S. E. of Durban resulting in severe hull fracturing. Diverted to S. Africa for temporary repair before proceeding to Rotterdam at slow speed for permanent repairs. On arrival at Rotterdam the true vision of damage became apparent (the forward part of hull was like Concorde’s drooped nose). Repaired by the Rotterdam Drydock Company and returned to service.

12.12.1976: Transferred to China Mutual Steam Navigation Company Ltd., Liverpool, for one round voyage to the Far East within the BenOcean pool.

9.3.1977: Reverted to the Ben Line Steamers Ltd., (Wm. Thomson & Company, managers), Leith, although continued to wear the “Blue funnels” for some while later.

3.5.1980: Arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition by Chin tai Steel Enterprise Company Ltd.

Eltel
10th November 2008, 19:25
did the last voyage on the cruachan to the scrapyard in koashiung.
had about 4 days in the scrapyard because the 2nd mate flew to the uk with the cheque but i be lieve the plane broke down. Certainly not much stores and suchlike left but had a good time up the road.The lads i remember were
Kiwi Muir ab,Skip Reid ab,Watty Cunningham ab, Derrick Ferrier bosun,

I was that 2/0! Down a pilot ladder as she was backing into the breaker's berth and up to Taipei to collect the notice of readiness. Over to Hong Kong then off on a jumbo to UK when the st'bd outer engine caught fire. We knew it was serious when they started handing out free drink - in those days you paid unless you were on Singapore Airlines. Dumped fuel, back to Hong Kong for a night in a hotel then off again next day, 24 hours late. Still, it was also free drink all the way home so made the most of it!

Tartan Warrior
30th January 2009, 11:38
Hi i was on Cruachan when she broke her back,and was on her when it happened a second time in 76,quite a experience

fitlike
3rd February 2009, 19:48
Was Chippie Sandy Walker fae Fraserburgh on her at that time, I remember going onboard the Cruachan in Grangmouth in 1976 to see Sandy, I was on the Attow at that time.
All the nice girls coming down from Glasgow Betty's Bar to party.
Eric fae the Broch

Jmac
5th February 2009, 06:39
Hi There

There was a Chippy Alec Walker From Fraserburgh,I sailed on the Stac with him 1974. I heard he died 4 or 5 yrs ago whilst undergoing an operation There is a picture of him in my gallery

Cheers
John,

ALLANREID
11th July 2009, 10:26
Hi There

There was a Chippy Alec Walker From Fraserburgh,I sailed on the Stac with him 1974. I heard he died 4 or 5 yrs ago whilst undergoing an operation There is a picture of him in my gallery

Cheers
John,

I was on the CRUACHAN for 4 deep sea trips - Joined her in London 6/6/70 did 4trips with 2wk leaves in between & left her for the Benvenue on the 2/7/71.
All the time I was on her it was Harry Nutten that was the chippie....he made a good job of the bar......all the chippies liked to spend a bit of time doing them up !? :o)
I`ll need to put some Ben boats pics into my Gallery when I dig them out.
Rgds Allan

nowapolis
11th July 2009, 23:12
Just joined this site. I was interviewed at Bernard St to join Ben Line the day the wave struck the Cruachan. Joined as Deck cadet anyway and went to first ship, Benattow in Grangemouth on 26/06/1973. Therafter on various ships until, as 2nd Mate, handing over Benstac to new owners at Singapore late 1981. Then it was off to Atlantic Drilling, roughnecking mainly on Benloyal but also took drill ship Benlomond?, from Singapore to Thessalonika. Left 1986 to join Police where I still am. However Ben Line days were the best ever. Met great people, always professional especially when very drunk! Seriously though, if anybody remembers me, Alisdair Burnie, I'd love to converse, dig out the photos etc, take care all.

ALLANREID
11th July 2009, 23:56
Just posted a photo of the Bencruachan & the Bengloe in my Gallery....I`ve got one of the Benatow too which I will put into the gallery tomorrow night, as I have already put 6 on for tonight !!
Rgds Allan

ALLANREID
13th August 2009, 00:22
Remember you and Charlie well. Also remember the model Charlie made, she was a beauty. I did 8 trips on the Cruachan, leaving in August 72. Enjoyed my time on her as Ken Hardie was a good master who ran a happy ship. Regards, Peter Thomson-Shetland

Hiya Peter, hope ye are doing well, if ye go into my gallery you will see a photo of Charlie and his model of the Bencruachan.
Rgds Allan (Thumb)

Macars
2nd October 2009, 19:47
Is there anybody on board who sailed on the Benchruachan in 1973 when she "broke her back " in heavy seas off Durban?
I was 4th engineer on the tanker MV Flowergate at the time and we went to her assistance. We prepared to take people off but it turned out it wasn't necessary, however we stayed close by until the weather eased and tugs came out from Durban to take her in.
We passed the Bencruachan some months later as we were heading south in the Atlantic and she was heading home after having some repairs done.
HI My Name is David Mc Neil from EYEMOUTH
I joined the Bencruachan when she came back from the cape
the bow had dropped 20feet like the concord

poxydoxy
29th July 2010, 23:38
And she did twelve knots on the donkey boiler!

Derek Dunn
20th October 2010, 21:40
I was a lowly Eng Cadet on the trip preceeding the bow disaster off Cape Town, (August 1972 - January 1973). Chief was Abe Davidson, 2/e Willie Mair, 3/e Hughie Clark and Mike Balson, 4/e George Philps, 5/e Kenny Wilson from Newcastle, 6/e and 7/e escape me. Chief lecky Phil Morris and 2/lecky Jimmy Dunsire. Bosun and Chippy were still Tommy Dinsdale and Harry Nutton. Bill Beatty was one of the a/bs and Donald Morrison from Lewis. I attach a photo of the last steamer.

Derek Dunn
20th October 2010, 21:41
And she did twelve knots on the donkey boiler!

Aye, but it took 24 hours to pipe it up to the turbines!

Ron Stringer
20th October 2010, 23:20
I attach a photo of the last steamer.

OMG! Look where they put the radar scanner!

Jusmasel
26th October 2010, 20:01
Replying to an earlier post about the Cruachan from Paul B. I think he was partly to blame for the boiler tube failures! (as may have been the skipper) certainly wasn't me!!!! We were in Taiwan on hogmanay and arrived back at the ship about 15minutes into the new year. The captain caught us pissed but invited us up to his cabin for a drink anyway. We left there about 3am I think and both of us were on the 4 to 8. We were both sound asleep by 5 in the control room when the bridge rang down and reminded us that standby was at 8 - I dont recall the 12-4 telling us that. Paul opened one eye and told me to get on with it and not having done it before on my own decided to show Paul how great I was and flashed it up from cold in about 2 hours without warming anything through. I think it was the steam hammering that woke Paul up eventually. Anyway two days later and I was on watch when the tubes blew. I cant remember the name of the third but I never have seen anyone react so well to a potential disaster. Fires out and reserve feed water tank emptied in seconds to stabilise things.

When the tubes blew again in the Indian Ocean we were adrift for about three days fixing them and not a chance of a tug being dispatched. I remember we contemplated fixing up the donkey boiler to the main steam line but the quicker option was thought to repair the tubes - after all we had experience of that. I remember calcualting our direction and speed of drift would take us to the seychelles in about two weeks.
Coming in to Hull I discovered steam and water pissing out the back of the boiler but was told to ignore it till we tied up!

I also remember when we joined the ship originally in Hull and flashed the boiler up nobody had checked the main control valve was shut so the next thing we knew the bridge was phoning down asking why were at full ahead as the mooring lines had started parting.

Paul Barford
26th October 2010, 22:50
Replying to an earlier post about the Cruachan from Paul B. I think he was partly to blame for the boiler tube failures! (as may have been the skipper) certainly wasn't me!!!! We were in Taiwan on hogmanay and arrived back at the ship about 15minutes into the new year. The captain caught us pissed but invited us up to his cabin for a drink anyway. We left there about 3am I think and both of us were on the 4 to 8. We were both sound asleep by 5 in the control room when the bridge rang down and reminded us that standby was at 8 - I dont recall the 12-4 telling us that. Paul opened one eye and told me to get on with it and not having done it before on my own decided to show Paul how great I was and flashed it up from cold in about 2 hours without warming anything through. I think it was the steam hammering that woke Paul up eventually. Anyway two days later and I was on watch when the tubes blew. I cant remember the name of the third but I never have seen anyone react so well to a potential disaster. Fires out and reserve feed water tank emptied in seconds to stabilise things.

When the tubes blew again in the Indian Ocean we were adrift for about three days fixing them and not a chance of a tug being dispatched. I remember we contemplated fixing up the donkey boiler to the main steam line but the quicker option was thought to repair the tubes - after all we had experience of that. I remember calcualting our direction and speed of drift would take us to the seychelles in about two weeks.
Coming in to Hull I discovered steam and water pissing out the back of the boiler but was told to ignore it till we tied up!

I also remember when we joined the ship originally in Hull and flashed the boiler up nobody had checked the main control valve was shut so the next thing we knew the bridge was phoning down asking why were at full ahead as the mooring lines had started parting.

Whilst not wanting to spoil a story,but there are a few points of inaccuracy here. I assume I am the Paul B in question, but don't remember going ashore in Taiwan on New year and certainly not drinking with the captain.Couldn't tand the man or the Ch/Off that was there at the time!!I do remember a crowd of us going ashore there, in some bar or other in Keelung.
Also remember anoyher crazy night going ashore in Lexios and waking up on aNorwegian ship the ext morning!
I've fogotten many of the guys on board,I was 3/E, there was another
J3/E but name escapes me. Pete Heron was the 2/E as far as I recall. If we are talking about the same trip, we had boiler trouble twice. First time outward bound off Singapore where we anchored off Raffles for repairs. (We did not drift in the Indian Ocean) The second time was arriving back in Hull were we all signed off...remember the stand by well, thick fog and your correct, we had to keep going until we berthed. besides, my family was on the quayside waiting for us!

If I remember correctly, there were five engineer cadets on board, or perhaps it was five cadets in total. One of whom was 'Taff' or Robin Gladwin. I met his brother after leaving Ben Line and we have followed each other around for the last 30 years since. I relieved him and he came back to relieve me three years ago on an Aframax tanker..we still work for the same company.
Some memories fade and we all tend to remember it how we want to I suppose.
Cheers from the middle of the Meditteranean (Thumb)

Mike Hazzard
6th November 2011, 04:11
I was on the Bencruachan on the voyage she broke her back. A lot of names escape me but Tommy Dinsdale was the bosun. I remember a few people being short of money in Durban due to the long stay. The question is: Who sold all the batteries out of the Honda cars on the car deck ???

slimjim45
9th December 2011, 20:24
hi Mike i was on the Bencruachan with you Jim Brown ab i was looking at the photo's only last weekend i have one taken in the mess with you in it. Alan Simpson Danny McKay

Mikepg
9th March 2012, 20:51
Slightly off course here, but I was Eng Cadet on the Kinnaird Castle (Ex Clan Ross and SA Scientist) about fifteen miles away from Bencruachan at the time of her 'nose job'. We heard about her troubles and for a while we were going to assist but the Flowergate must have been closer. No sleep, lots of hull panting and even more activity on the big silver wheel that night. Incidently,did the Bencruachan start that voyage from the London Royal docks? We on the KC did, and I'm sure that the Bencruachan was nearby when we were loading. Regards, Mike

Tyne Turbine
4th December 2012, 00:58
For anyone that might still be interested in this thread, Bencruachan on the 30th. August, 1968

Fairfield
26th May 2014, 20:40
Her launch along with Port Line's Port Caroline.