Hull Tech. College, Ph. 1, ’71 – ’73. South Shields, Ph.3, ’74 – ’75.

martin.littlebury
19th August 2010, 13:03
I was a Phase 1 Engineer Cadet with Trident Tankers/P&O BSD at Hull in 71 – 73 and completed Phase 3 at South Shields 74 – 75.

Are there any others on this Forum who were at the either college at the same time – with whatever Company – and might remember me? It’d be interesting to hear from old mates from those days.

Martin Littlebury.

Graham Wallace
20th August 2010, 00:03
Hi Martin

I was not in 1971 intake at Hull, a few years earlier at Acton.

Any of the following names ring any bells.....AJ Bristow, ML Christian, A Muse, PE Midgeley, P Wilkinson , S Oatey.

A few more; D Atteridge, P Beddard, AEL Bruce, MC Johnson, MJ Mudd, D Rooney, DA Thompson and C Wastling

All were 1971 at Hull , one RFA the remainder BP.

Graham

martin.littlebury
20th August 2010, 04:38
This is a great start. :) :)

The BP blokes were in a separate group so I didn't get to know them so well. Our group was P&O (Trident/BI/NZS), Athel, RFA and maybe another company.

ALAN (??) Bristow
MIKE Christian (I'd been racking my brains for ages to remember his surname. Had a blue Triumph 500 Speed Twin in Shields, I seem to remember)
A Muse,
PE Midgeley,
PAUL (??) Wilkinson ,
STEVE Oatey (Knew Steve VERY well. RFA man, same group and regular drinking mate. Ariel Arrow at Hull, Norton Commando at Shields)
DON (??) Atteridge (Reddish hair?)
PAUL Beddard,
AEL Bruce,
MAL (??) Johnson (From Sheffield? If this is the same bloke, he had a BSA A10 at some point)
MJ Mudd, (Remember the surname, can't recall first name although Nigel comes to mind)
D Rooney,
DA Thompson
C Wastling

Thanks a lot for these, Graham.

Tony Morris
20th August 2010, 09:45
I was a Phase 1 Engineer Cadet with Ropners in 71 – 73 (1D5 & 2D2) then Phase 3 74 – 75 (Group 3) all at South Shields but regretfully your name does not ring a bell. Too many nights in the Chelsea Cat, Tavern, Kismet, La Strada, Yellow Wellie & many more places since, may just have pickled my brain. There were a few guys from P&O / Tridant who are on Friends Reunited from that time some of the names you might know.

All the best

Tony

Graham Wallace
21st August 2010, 00:54
martin,

Do not know the colour of Mike Christians' motor Bike , but the rumour is he sold one to Steve Oatey

I'm in touch with Steve on and off.

having a bit of a flashback with you mentioning all those motor bikes ,I had a BSA 350 at South Shields but that was in summer 1957 when a number of BP E/A's were there for 2 months installing lathes and general fitting then turning up test pieces for the Izod machines, prior to the new college opening.

I have been in touch with the first 6 guys on the list.

Graham

Steve Oatey
29th August 2010, 23:39
Hi Martin,

Wow!! Can it be 35 years?? We certainly had a lot of good times at Hull and Shields. I just read your post on the thread about Silver Line, so I know some of what you've been up to. I stayed with the RFA until 1993, then took voluntary redundancy. Moved to Canada (my wife is from Vancouver), and got a job with the Ferries from the mainland to Vancouver Island, where we live.
As I recall my Ariel Arrow died when the engine mountings corroded through and the engine just about fell out on the road - it was underslung from the box section frame. Then I bought Mike Christian's Triumph, an old 500 Speed Twin (the pre-unit 5T not the later 5 TA). Did a couple of trips to Wrexham and Macclesfield with Ron Thomas and Ian Thorneycroft and Malc Johnson. Got rid of the bike at the end of phase 1, bought the Norton before phase 3.

Was Don Atteridge a red haired lad from Bridlington? And yes, there was a Nigel Mudd with BP, but not in our year I'm thinking. His uncle worked with my Dad in Torpoint. Have you heard anything of any others from those days? Peter Key, Glen Wheatley......

Steve

david freeman
30th August 2010, 09:43
I was a Phase 1 Engineer Cadet with Trident Tankers/P&O BSD at Hull in 71 – 73 and completed Phase 3 at South Shields 74 – 75.

Are there any others on this Forum who were at the either college at the same time – with whatever Company – and might remember me? It’d be interesting to hear from old mates from those days.

Martin Littlebury.
I took my tickets 1 and 2 class at Hull steam and motor and endorsements (66 to 70). The head of Dept was Mr Barnet, EK's & Motor Mr Taylor, and for steam a gentle man I cannot remember his name? Any suggestions?
Digs at the Hull Seamans mission, Not the Stella Maris, but the one not far from the railway station. Good time had by all. I have remembered the MN Hotel not the mission? Dinner was at the cafe in the arcade a short walk from Queens gardens towards King Billys statute