Holy Loch

TeeCee
20th August 2010, 21:19
I'm hoping to find somebody with a long memory re happenings at Holy Loch.

On 25th August 1991 I made my one and only visit to Holy Loch and found one SSBN alongside the Simon Lake. As usual no markings on her at all so I was unable to identify her.

My wife asked a sentry at the nearby shore offices what the name of the submarine was, to which he replied "What submarine ma'am?"

The vessel left port a couple of days later on August 28th. Does anybody have any idea of her identity? The movements can't be secret after all this time can they?

Don Matheson
21st August 2010, 11:11
I think you may be struggling with this one Tee Cee. I feel the sentry told your wife as much as you may get, unless you contacted the US Navy.
Most people were used to seeing the subs come and go, but they were just submarines and as they had no numbers and the USN never told of their arrivals or departures you didnt know which one it was.
I hope I am wrong and you discover the name you want but I feel it may be quite a search.
There is a former US submariner on this site who may be able to point you in the correct direction. Sorry I could not be of further help.

Don

Gulpers
21st August 2010, 13:47
TeeCee,

I was brought up within sight of Holy Loch and was well used to having USN personnel around town.
Sorry, but I've got to agree with Don, I think he has summed up the situation perfectly. (Sad)

TeeCee
22nd August 2010, 17:51
Thanks, Gulpers and Don, it was worth a try. I also have a query on a British "R" class from the same period but I haven't posted it to the RN forum as yet.

BUGGINS
22nd August 2010, 20:02
you will probably get the same result. Sometimes US sailors in Greenock had their ship or boats name badge on their arm.

jimthehat
22nd August 2010, 22:31
TeeCee,

I was brought up within sight of Holy Loch and was well used to having USN personnel around town.
Sorry, but I've got to agree with Don, I think he has summed up the situation perfectly. (Sad)

much better town when it was RN personnel,used to get the wrens to take us into the pictures.

jim

Union Jack
25th August 2010, 13:04
I'm hoping to find somebody with a long memory re happenings at Holy Loch.

I can't comment regarding the Holy Loch, but it used to be said that the best way to find out the arrival dates of British SSBNs was to check the appointment books of Helensburgh ladies' hairdressers ...

Jack