Can any identify the ussc ships berthed in Lyttleton

lagerstedt
13th November 2005, 07:30
Can any member identify two of the three ships in Lyttleton. Photo taken 1966. One ship is the Wahine what are the others.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt

KPC
13th November 2005, 08:36
Wiamea to left of Wahine ?

flyer682
25th November 2005, 07:43
Could be any one of a number of "slow greens" - a bit hard to sure without a little more detail.

KPC
26th November 2005, 01:46
David...try this toy..I find it invaluable...http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/

Jan Hendrik
26th November 2005, 03:59
Thanks for the tip KPC, I installed it right away.
So for all those oldies over 50 (haha), now if you forgot your reading glasses, you always got them on the screen.
Jan

KPC
26th November 2005, 07:32
How do I get the message to all SN folk re magnifier ? A general alert type thing..how do I tell everyone about it ...Please advise
KPC

flyer682
26th November 2005, 09:26
How do I get the message to all SN folk re magnifier ? A general alert type thing..how do I tell everyone about it ...Please advise
KPC
Suggest you put a post in the Computers and Internet Forum.

zsimone
27th November 2005, 09:03
Hi,
I have got to agree with KPC and say that it is possibly the Waimea. She was a regular runner into Lyttleton around the time this photo would have been taken. Possibly on the steel run Sydney, Newcastle, Port Kembla.
Cheers
Zsimone

KPC
27th November 2005, 11:05
Used to lay at #3 Wharf. I did three trips on Wiamea including bringing a circus from Sydney to Lyttelton...think it was Sole Bros...Deck cargo of assorted beasts...with the usual load of steel below. Wiamea was a real work horse on the Sth Island steel run...mainly dunedin crowd. Hard yakka and a mongrel to clew up..they were the days

Chris Field
27th November 2005, 15:09
I was also on Waimea (Third Mate) 1959-60- but I think the ship in the picture is more likely to be the Karamu. Any offers?

zsimone
28th November 2005, 04:08
Hi All,
I also sailed on the Waimea as Deck Boy, Ordinary Seaman, A.B. and Bosun.
As stated she was a work. horse She normaly was a hard one to clew up as she at times had a lot of deck cargo . No 3 gear was a problem as it was ratchet gear and I have seen a derrick come down rather quickly. She did have a regular core of South Islanders on her who had been in her for years one in particular cannot remember his christian name but surname was Harris.He was out of Dunedin. The Masters if my memory serves me right were Captains Pugh Williams. Brayshay, and Rideout,cannot remember 4th one. I had a soft spot for her as she always seemed to be a happy one to sail on.She was on the Melbourne South Island Run for a long time until replaced by Waikare another great job. The Waimea then went out of Wellington for a while and then ventured North out of Tauranga with Paper.
She also seemed to carry a lot of livestock in the tween deck aft plus the horse stalls. She was in the Company from 1953 To 1975.
Cheers
Gary

lagerstedt
28th November 2005, 05:22
I have attached three additional photo's taken day which may assist you in identifing the ship. There was a blue star ship in port as well as two other ussc ships and a local coaster which has the accomodation aft. Maybe you can ID all ships in port that day. We were at the tanker wharf astern of the Danish tanker Tuborg. Would the Lyytleton Harbour Board still have records of which ships that were in port about that time. Trouble is I cannot remember what day it was, altough the month was around July 1966 or 67. My old notes say that some of the crew on the ship I was on were going to walk off over time off and leave etc. Not to sure what the outcome was but we did sail for New Plymonth and into a storm on entering Cook Strait.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

KPC
28th November 2005, 08:21
Blair
The vessel at Gladsone Pier could be WH Orbell ..a dredger.
What was ship you were on ?

KPC
28th November 2005, 08:24
You were laying at the Cattle Jetty..the Tanker I cannot read name of....have a few contacts in the village and will try to get this sorted for you
KPC

KPC
28th November 2005, 08:26
Gary....hello. The Bosun was Jan...........when I was starring...a Dutch Gent....and a good bloke.
KPC

KPC
28th November 2005, 08:28
Belay previous by two...Tanker name Tuborg...a top wee drop. I will use as indicator in deeper search...

KPC
28th November 2005, 08:39
www.lpc.com.nz
Have a look at the webcams all you home sick ex British,Canterbury, Saxon, Royal, Mitre, Empire Hotel folk...quiz..what was the name of the Pub over the road from Priskies ?

zsimone
28th November 2005, 09:36
Hi.
The USS CO Vessel looks very much like either the Kaimai or the Konini.
Cheers
Gary

zsimone
28th November 2005, 09:42
Hi KPC.

Jan was his surname De Costa

Cheers
Gary

Jan Hendrik
28th November 2005, 09:51
If he is Dutch, then his surname would be : de Koster, pronounced something like de costa indeed.

lagerstedt
29th November 2005, 05:53
I was on a old Mine-weeper Called the "Inverall". We were doing a fisheries inspection and training run ex Auckland to Timaru via East Cape and returning to Auckland via Lyttleton, Picton, New Plymonth and the North Cape. From what I can remember and looking at some of the old photos the wx Auckland to Auckland was good. The one spoiler was Cook Strait to New Plymonth. During that section the wx was so bad we had saftey ropes etc rigged around the deck. I have somewhere a photo of me on the wheel which is hard to port and we are still heading starboard and to make matters even more interesting the bridge was awash. The old Port Line ship, Port Invercargill was in New Plymonth along with some old dredgers from Holland. It must have been the last time the Port Invercargill was in NZ before being trapped because of the war in the middle east.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt

KPC
29th November 2005, 06:46
Thanks for that Blair....I will see what I can find out for you.......sounds like you had an interesting time of it....I was once traversing Cook Strait West to East...on the old Holmlea........massive seas and all the rest...took out a window in wheelhouse...passed Oriana hove to ! I think she was waiting for things to settle down to get into Wellington....but it makes a good story. Huge combers rolling through and such a tiny ship.........fun...fun..fun

KPC
29th November 2005, 06:49
PS...Holmlea had direct chain steering to quadrant...hard yakka for sure...

Butters
1st December 2005, 04:30
As a born & bred Lytteltonian for 30 Years before moving north. Iwould say the pub over the road from Priskies was the Albion the other corner a Fish & chip shop and where the new Post office waqs built was once a block of flats where my parents lived in 1949-51 before building

Butters ( Lindsay Butterfield)

KPC
1st December 2005, 04:42
Correct.........you get the biscuit ! The fish & Chip shop was Talleys
KPC