Albatross Years: Hank Cavendish

looneylectrics
27th August 2010, 06:56
I've been looking for this book for a couple of years now , can any body help me . I thought I had seen a thread on it in books but I can no longer find it. Any input is good input.

Phil Saul
28th August 2010, 01:26
I tried to get a copy of Hanks book a few years ago to send to a mate of mine in the UK but it was out of print.
I had borrowed it from Pakuranga library and read it twice as it was such a good read but when it came to buying a copy I couldn't find one anywhere.
My wife contacted Hank Cavendish who lived in Auckland and even he couldn't help as he didn't have any spare copies.
My wife told him I'd got a copy through the library so he suggested I "borrow" it again and not return it.
Never did see it in the library again so someone must have beaten me to it.
This was all about 8 years ago so don't even know if Hank is still around and if he is he must be knocking on by now.
Good luck with your search for a copy.
Regards Phil (Thumb)

Billyly
28th August 2010, 06:39
I have a copy of the book but have also been looking for another for a few years with the same results as mentioned.
I sailed with Hank (the Yank) a few times and there is a picture of me in the book learning to splice wire when I was an apprentice.
I was also on the Stena Constructor when he took the photo from the helideck with the light catching the net and Mount Egmont in the background. I believe he won a photo competition with that photo.
He would be getting on now, arent we all!
I wonder what happened to his photo collection?

looneylectrics
28th August 2010, 06:48
Phil,
I googled it a year or so ago and found Auckland public library had a copy, you could always try to borrow theirs.

Phil Saul
29th August 2010, 00:37
I have a copy of the book but have also been looking for another for a few years with the same results as mentioned.
I sailed with Hank (the Yank) a few times and there is a picture of me in the book learning to splice wire when I was an apprentice.
I was also on the Stena Constructor when he took the photo from the helideck with the light catching the net and Mount Egmont in the background. I believe he won a photo competition with that photo.
He would be getting on now, arent we all!
I wonder what happened to his photo collection?

Billy,

I believe his photo collection was stolen in a burglary.
Hank intended to put them all in a book he was going to publish but the theft put paid to that, which is why he wrote Albatross Years.
It contained a few photos of his life on the Kiwi coast but his photo collection was irreplaceable.
I would have loved to have seen it.

Regards Phil (Thumb)

Phil Saul
29th August 2010, 00:49
Phil,
I googled it a year or so ago and found Auckland public library had a copy, you could always try to borrow theirs.

Looney,

Next time that I'm in the city I'll ask them do they want to sell it.
If I manage to get hold of it I'll send it to you.

Regards Phil (Thumb)

looneylectrics
29th August 2010, 19:38
Phil,

That's very generous of you, it would make my day. I think it is the last known copy and the library will be most reluctant to give it up but don't let that stop you.
Thanks for the offer.

Regards Looney.

kauvaka
30th August 2010, 07:33
Had a look at the Wellington City Library website. Seems that the book may be available there. There is also a note with the catalogue details saying the book is available from Vagabond Press, 23-53 Anglesea St, Auckland. Worth a try. According to the catalogue Hank was born in 1916. Good luck and kia ora!

Phil Saul
31st August 2010, 02:53
Had a look at the Wellington City Library website. Seems that the book may be available there. There is also a note with the catalogue details saying the book is available from Vagabond Press, 23-53 Anglesea St, Auckland. Worth a try. According to the catalogue Hank was born in 1916. Good luck and kia ora!

Googled Vagabond Press and came up with a site in Texas.
No mention of Auckland and not in the telephone directory so must have gone out of business.
I'll check out the Anglesea St address next time I'm in the city but looks as though the library is going to be the best bet.
Coincidentally, there is someone on the Merchant-navy website searching for the same book and visited a number of Auckland bookshops when he was visiting NZ recently.
None of the bookshops could help him so I'm beginning to think I should have nicked it from the Pakuranga library when I had the chance.

Regards Phil (Thumb)

Billyly
31st August 2010, 03:06
Billy,

I believe his photo collection was stolen in a burglary.
Hank intended to put them all in a book he was going to publish but the theft put paid to that, which is why he wrote Albatross Years.
It contained a few photos of his life on the Kiwi coast but his photo collection was irreplaceable.
I would have loved to have seen it.

Regards Phil (Thumb)

Hi Phil

Yes, his photo collection would have been very interesting as he liked to take photos of people as well as ships. He was always popping up from somewhere with his camera in hand. So there would have been some good shots of some of the characters from the NZ coast. Pity some low life has to spoil it.
The Stena Constructor had a dark room and a dedicated Photo Technician for the diving photos to be developed. Hank made friends with the Photo Tech and used to make good use of the dark room!

looneylectrics
1st September 2010, 05:56
Hi Phil,
that was me, looneylectrics aka Casso. I looked in book shops in Christchurch, Wellington, Napier and Auckland with no luck. I didn't think I could get away with taking it out from a library and absconding with it, they'd have put interpol onto me and I would have ended up on the no fly list.

Regards looney.