Names from the Past

Howard S
7th September 2010, 16:38
An idle moment here in the hotel I manage in Ocho Rios and was reflecting on some of the people I knew in Palm days (74-79). I still here from Jammy Matthews (C/Engr). I heard Matty Roberts had crossed the bar. There were so many of them; some of the Masters I sailed with were Eddie Brawn, Gunboat Smith (those two alone would make a good story!!), Norman Alexander, Pat Grimason, Johnny???, Capt. Crooks, also Tony Rowley Ch/Off, Ian McLean, Ch/Off. A good friend whom I knew from ED's days was Chris Booth (PCS) believe he went in the prison service? Colin Bennie-Coulson was a character. Jean Ottway who married Peter Lee Ch/Off. and lived in Spalding Lincolnshire. Just a few names from the past.........will remember a dozen more when I press send of course.

kernewekmarnor
9th September 2010, 19:42
aye Howard

Did you sail with my old fella' George Morris

Howard S
10th September 2010, 02:32
No I never did, met him a couple of times on the Coast. I do know though that he was a very well respected Master.

kernewekmarnor
10th September 2010, 15:06
cheers for that Howard.
have to be honest, I have never heard anyone say a bad word about him (well except from me mam of course!)
thanks now, best of luck......

stan mayes
10th September 2010, 16:16
Hello Paul,
For your interest I will post an explanation of my medals today
plus a few bits and pieces.

Howard S
10th September 2010, 17:09
Yes I saw your picture with your medals; 39-45 Star and Medal and I think Africa and Atlantic Stars; some are the same as my fathers, he was RN. Good to see you are keeping well Stan.

Howard S
10th September 2010, 17:12
cheers for that Howard.
have to be honest, I have never heard anyone say a bad word about him (well except from me mam of course!)
thanks now, best of luck......

I see you followed your father's footsteps; different world now though at sea I am sure. Probably not a red Ensign on your vessel either!
Rgds

kernewekmarnor
10th September 2010, 20:35
aye there are 2 x Captain Morris in our family nowadays!
and you would be wrong there Howard- my vessel is indeed flying the Red Ensign, registered in UK, with Aberdeen as port of choice.
we are not exactly down by the head with British crew onboard though.
on checking the crew list now we have 23 nationalities onboard.
my vessel is a deepwater drill ship and we are operating currently off the coast of Brazil. You will see a photo in my gallery if you are interested.
cheers

Howard S
13th September 2010, 16:28
aye there are 2 x Captain Morris in our family nowadays!
and you would be wrong there Howard- my vessel is indeed flying the Red Ensign, registered in UK, with Aberdeen as port of choice.
we are not exactly down by the head with British crew onboard though.
on checking the crew list now we have 23 nationalities onboard.
my vessel is a deepwater drill ship and we are operating currently off the coast of Brazil. You will see a photo in my gallery if you are interested.
cheers
I know your Dad must be proud, checked your gallery, there are some interesting photos there. I guess Brazil sure as hell beats the North Sea! Glad to hear about the Red Ensign.