Barber Perseus

makko
9th September 2010, 21:27
Going, going, gone.....

Intrigued by the recent pictures of Blue Funnel Libertys, many of which I had never heard of, I decided to check out Red Duster which had in fact been updated and there were all the Liberty ships........Passing to other more recent vessels which I served on, knew etc. I noticed that Barber Perseus which went to Wilhelmsen after Blue Funnel pulled out of the Barber Blue Sea consortium in 1988 and, with whom she traded as the Talabot was delivered to Changjiang Shipbreaking Yard at Jiangyin, China on 23 April 2009.

These were great, great vessels. Built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries at Nagasaki, Japan with a tonnage of 21747grt, a length of 749ft 7in, a beam of 105ft 10in and a service speed of 20.5 knots. Sister of the Barber Priam she was launched on 7th February 1979 and delivered in the following June to Speakshaw Ltd with Ocean Fleets as managers. Their full capacity, albeit 20´TEU was 6000 units and the air draught impressive. Even in comparison to todays mega box boats, these were big vessels and extremely flexible. The Perseus had some lows including engine trouble and dropping the stern ramp. I was never on her, I served on Priam.

Thirty years was not a bad innings for a "modern" ship! Barber Priam is still with the US Sealift Command, but for how long?

Regards,
Dave

Pat Kennedy
9th September 2010, 21:32
Dave,
I heard that Cape Henry, as she is now named, is in the ready reserve fleet, and could be there for years.
Regards,
Pat

makko
9th September 2010, 21:48
Hi Pat,
Yes I was aware of Cape Henry. On a visit to San Francisco in late 1999, I did a double take on a grey RoRo - I subsequently learned that it was B. Priam. Its strange how you recognize your old ships, and I must say, Priam was my favourite! It would be interesting to compare the build cost/operating cost versus their earnings over time. I'll bet that these were great money earners.

As an aside, top speed (with the Gulf Stream) was 28+ kts on B. Priam!
Rgds.
Dave

Pat Kennedy
10th September 2010, 09:15
Dave,
I am envious that you sailed on her. By all accounts a superb ship, and as you said a while back, fully equipped with fork lift trucks and a big crane. Toys for boys!
She wasnt in San Francisco when I was there in 2004, I think they had reactivated her for the Middle East and put her in the pre-positioned group.

By the way, I'm taking some more pics of old Wallasey and Birkenhead pubs over the weekend, any particular one you would like to see?
Best Regards,
Pat

Frank P
10th September 2010, 15:33
My brother Ray flew out to Japan and sailed on the Barber Priam on her maiden voyage, he said that she was an excellent ship.

Cheers Frank

makko
11th September 2010, 05:36
That she was, Frank. An excellent sea ship. Unfortunately, Mrs. Makko refused to sail on her (claimed she was getting seasick in Los Angeles port!). And if I may be a bit presumptive, great crews!
Rgds.
Dave

tashtego
8th October 2014, 08:07
Is this a ghost thread now?

If anyone is interested in the Barber Priam/Cape Henry, she is currently slated to stay in the Reserve Fleet for 30 more years as of this writing. They simply don't build ships like this anymore.

Master, MV Cape Henry

makko
8th October 2014, 15:36
Is this a ghost thread now?

If anyone is interested in the Barber Priam/Cape Henry, she is currently slated to stay in the Reserve Fleet for 30 more years as of this writing. They simply don't build ships like this anymore.

Master, MV Cape Henry

Thank you for this news! Is she still based in San Francisco? If I get up there, would there be any chance of visiting the old girl? By the way, has anyone found my Bahco 10" adjustable wrench (shifter) whilst cleaning the tank tops? There is a reward of one beer to the finder!!!
Rgds.
Dave

CROIXLMTUSA
4th December 2014, 07:27
Hi Dave.. thanks for the update on the BBS SHIP.. I worked for Barber Lines in NYC in the 80's and the 6 original Super carriers were my fav's. My brother worked for MSC, so I had known that the Taif, Tonsberg and Priam had gone there, in a fit of nostalgia tonite, I started googling the names and found this article. I even had run into some of the ships on my travels as a therapist in the Med. It was tough to see our superstars relegated to just old work horses.

The new generation, Tampa, Texas and Hector, never gained the mystique that the original 6 had. I miss those good old days, and if i sit and think, i still remember some of the voyage numbers..lol.. Very useful information 34 years later..lol

All the best..

Croix

makko
4th December 2014, 22:18
Nice to hear from you and your memories, Croix! I was the only one with any "nouse" when joining in New York to put my address as Battery Park NYC when passing immigration and customs at JFK. I simply cannot remember the number/ZIP now though! I too always felt the "mystique" regarding these vessels, a lot of fun with the varied and at times surprising cargoes.

Yokohama was special - people would come down onto the wharf and set up cameras. We would make it quite a spectacle to lower the ramp and raise the hull door with all the vehicles lined up across the width of the ship with full headlights blaring. There was always a positive reaction (cheering, clapping) from our audience! Great times.

Rgds.
Dave