Old Colleagues

ART6
19th September 2010, 18:17
I came across the attached photo a while ago. I think it is of Marine Department staff in the latter 1960s when Esso had an office in Victoria Street, London. When it was taken I was doing the six month sentence to the Materials Supply Group. In those days Esso felt it appropriate to have a member of the seagoing staff in the MSG to interpret calls for assistance from the fleet since on occasion they tended to be a bit technical. So we were pulled from sea service for a most luxurious six months on outrageous expenses in accommodation considered by the company to be suitable for officers, and with very little to do but entertain visiting American visiting personnel every evening. Oh the nights in the Raymond Review Bar and the best hotel dining rooms! More than six months was considered bad for us marine engineers.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone can put names to these guys? For a challenge, I am standing on the left of Owen Wheetman.

Gulpers
19th September 2010, 18:55
ART6,

Sorry, your attachment isn't working.
When posting, you need to go to the "Attach Files" section which you will find below the "Submit Reply" button.
Once you find the "Attach Files" section, click on the "Manage Attachments" button and follow the instructions from there. (Thumb)

ART6
20th September 2010, 08:25
Apologies for photo link failure -- I think I was trying to upload a file that was simply too large. Trying again in PDF format.20173

callpor
20th September 2010, 15:59
Recognise Bob De'ath forth from left in the front row and a number of others look familiar, but I couldn't put names to them.

AJC
11th October 2010, 16:51
Recognise Bob De'ath forth from left in the front row and a number of others look familiar, but I couldn't put names to them.

Hi Chris,

Regognise Malcom Hart (Ch.Eng Milford Haven back row, and Alan Washbourne (Master- Dalriada) middle row,

That's all I'm afraid

Alex

AJC
11th October 2010, 17:01
I came across the attached photo a while ago. I think it is of Marine Department staff in the latter 1960s when Esso had an office in Victoria Street, London. When it was taken I was doing the six month sentence to the Materials Supply Group. In those days Esso felt it appropriate to have a member of the seagoing staff in the MSG to interpret calls for assistance from the fleet since on occasion they tended to be a bit technical. So we were pulled from sea service for a most luxurious six months on outrageous expenses in accommodation considered by the company to be suitable for officers, and with very little to do but entertain visiting American visiting personnel every evening. Oh the nights in the Raymond Review Bar and the best hotel dining rooms! More than six months was considered bad for us marine engineers.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone can put names to these guys? For a challenge, I am standing on the left of Owen Wheetman.

Which one is Owen Wheetman???
I regognise Malcolm Hart!

Regards
Alex

ART6
11th October 2010, 17:34
Which one is Owen Wheetman???
I regognise Malcolm Hart!

Regards
Alex

Middle row, second from the left.

AJC
11th October 2010, 19:02
Middle row, second from the left.

So it is, my god, so young, Owen died on the Esso York in the 70's!!

eriskay
11th October 2010, 20:19
3rd from the left, Middle Row, light coloured jacket - Hector Mac Lellan ?

ART6
12th October 2010, 17:22
So it is, my god, so young, Owen died on the Esso York in the 70's!!

Yes, I knew Owen well. We never served together as during my time we were both S2/Es. From memory he took over from me in the York, I think in early 1969 when she was going to be converted to tendering for offshore VLCCs although memory is a bit strained nowadays. He was a good man and a very good engineer. He would have become a super if he'd lived.

AJC
14th October 2010, 12:27
Yes, I knew Owen well. We never served together as during my time we were both S2/Es. From memory he took over from me in the York, I think in early 1969 when she was going to be converted to tendering for offshore VLCCs although memory is a bit strained nowadays. He was a good man and a very good engineer. He would have become a super if he'd lived.

Hi Hector,

Did you ever sail with my Dad, Jimmy Chapman (Lecky)?

Alex Chapman

ART6
14th October 2010, 17:46
Hi Hector,

Did you ever sail with my Dad, Jimmy Chapman (Lecky)?

Alex Chapman

Don't know if this was aimed at me, but I am not Hector. Here's a photo of me when I was S2/E on the York in 1968. There's a challenge!

AJC
14th October 2010, 17:53
Don't know if this was aimed at me, but I am not Hector. Here's a photo of me when I was S2/E on the York in 1968. There's a challenge!

Sorry,
I just joined the Company in 1967! you look like a young Tony Eagle!!!

Alex!(==D)

LenT
3rd May 2012, 08:21
Hi Guys,
6th from left Middle row. Could be Alan Curzon ex Eng Cadet ,same vintage as me

LenT