Benledi

Willie Mac
15th November 2005, 22:52
Benledi - Japan 1972

Dockers were using the 'Jumbo' to discharge a container from No 4 Lower Hold. Unfortunately nobody noticed that the container was still pinned to the deck when they tried to lift it. The picture shows the result. The Mainmast, 'Jumbo', four derricks and all the associated rigging, splattered across and down No 4. Fortunately nobody was injured in the incident.
Can anybody remember this?

Willie

flyer682
16th November 2005, 07:19
I can imagine the reaction - "Oh, sh*t"!

Doug Rogers
16th November 2005, 07:34
Whadda mistaka to maika

Willie Mac
26th March 2006, 22:14
Any of you guys out there sailed with Angus Macleod, chippy, from Harris. He was the chippy on the Benledi from 1965 till the day it was sold. He was working on the crane at Number 4 hatch the day the mast came down (it was him who gave me the photos), lucky for him he was in the accomadation having a cuppa or something at the time. I sailed with him on the Benledi in 1969 -70 and amazingly met him again a couple of months ago in Harris. Told him I would put a message on this site to see if any of his old mates are still around

backsplice
27th March 2006, 06:18
had a similar incident on the "Benstac "in Hong Kong in 69 when one of the winchmen lowered the Velle Derrick down past the point of no return and i believe what happened was the gear instead of going up was going down consequently the whole running gear shredded and the derrick head nearly ended up in the junk...we were up all night getting new gear rigged plenty of o/t .................nothing on the scale of that stuff up on the "Ledi "...backsplice (Ouch)

NZSCOTTY
1st June 2006, 09:12
I must have sailed with him as I was a cadet on the Benledi fromwhen she was built till 1966Any of you guys out there sailed with Angus Macleod, chippy, from Harris. He was the chippy on the Benledi from 1965 till the day it was sold. He was working on the crane at Number 4 hatch the day the mast came down (it was him who gave me the photos), lucky for him he was in the accomadation having a cuppa or something at the time. I sailed with him on the Benledi in 1969 -70 and amazingly met him again a couple of months ago in Harris. Told him I would put a message on this site to see if any of his old mates are still around

philwindsor
30th August 2006, 00:27
sailed with angus on various trips,most memorable was the coast when barney was due to pay off one of the box boats in southampton. we kept winding him up that he would stay for the drydock coast.should see his face when the telex came back, barney to do coast and joining were angus, john mckinnon, donny macvicar, davy petersen, turned into a right piss up especially when charlie mcnair and callum macintyre decided to come onboard with a gallon bottle of whisky.

NZSCOTTY
1st September 2006, 05:47
Coming out of a senior moment I have just remembered that Benledi did not have a Chippi for the time I was on it anyway. From new for first two years. We had Bosun and us cadets did the soundings.

Roger Goudie
9th August 2008, 12:26
had a similar incident on the "Benstac "in Hong Kong in 69 when one of the winchmen lowered the Velle Derrick down past the point of no return and i believe what happened was the gear instead of going up was going down consequently the whole running gear shredded and the derrick head nearly ended up in the junk...we were up all night getting new gear rigged plenty of o/t .................nothing on the scale of that stuff up on the "Ledi "...backsplice (Ouch)

I sailed with Angus on the Ledi,Loyal and Dearg great guy never a dull moment
many box of heiniken we shared

john fraser
9th August 2008, 18:12
As though these guys mentioned would manage to drink a gallon of whisky Lol!!!