Flying cloud

DURANGO
23rd September 2010, 14:25
Hello Stein , I think I will go with Flying cloud a fine looking ship with a great history I have to say, mind you a hard choice from all the other great American ships of that time , you have sent me all the imformation I need with regards to house flag and I can clearly pick up on her figure head in fact it is going to keep me busy for ages many thanks for taking the trouble best wishes Dave .

stein
23rd September 2010, 15:13
I'm pleased those links were of interest. Here's one of my attempts at portraying the famous clipper: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/193872/title/flying-cloud/cat/533

Satanic Mechanic
23rd September 2010, 16:00
I'm pleased those links were of interest. Here's one of my attempts at portraying the famous clipper: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/193872/title/flying-cloud/cat/533

Stein - I a great lover of clippers (courtesy of my father), may I say that is a fantastic painting, maybe art critic's could discuss it and its attributes and faults but I just see things I like - and I love that(Thumb)

Thats another Story
23rd September 2010, 16:43
Stein yet another excellent painting i paint landscapes well they look like landscapes i have tried painting ships to no avail sky right sea right sold a few for charity i only use oils never tried water colours thank you again for letting us share your talent when i get my head round to putting pictures on the site i will post a few. thanks john

stein
23rd September 2010, 17:02
Thanks boys. I have great confidence in your abilities as art critics (==D). (I just sold the picture btw, after five years of exhibiting it - to an old lady:sweat:.)

joebuckham
23rd September 2010, 17:16
stein a very pleasing painting of a very interesting subject, i am so jealous of your abilities.

DURANGO
23rd September 2010, 22:10
Thanks boys. I have great confidence in your abilities as art critics (==D). (I just sold the picture btw, after five years of exhibiting it - to an old lady:sweat:.) patience always pays off Stein I reckon truth be known you where sad to part with it thanks again for your help .

Shipbuilder
25th September 2010, 17:09
I built the FLYING CLOUD some years ago, but always felt she had a rather heavy stern. Here it is, but that was before I learned to set the courses properly.
Bob

stein
25th September 2010, 18:02
Looks good. You seem to have kept your boats inboards. (or are they all black and invisible?). Not knowing for sure what the practise was, I have decided to gripe a pair of boats outboards on all passenger carriers I paint or model.

Shipbuilder
25th September 2010, 19:08
The boats are all inboard and painted white. Have a feeling I got the plans from the Smithsonian, but not really sure.
Bob