Chantala

Fairfield
5th May 2004, 06:52
I used to visit the London dock system regularly in the 60s and 70s until the photo permits were discontinued and took this of CHANTALA on one of these visits.

Ian
5th May 2004, 15:12
Nice picture of the Chantala. Too bad that photo permits were restricted.
A little strange. I used to wander around teh Glasgow docks in the fifties and have quite a collection of shipping of the time.
If you have any more we would love to see them.
Thanks for your contribution.
Ian
(Admin).

Fairfield
5th May 2004, 15:27
The PLA permits were withdrawn because of the Irish troubles unfortunately,but they actually used to write to me to REMIND me to renew it!!
Yes,wandering round the Glasgow Docks was a pastime of mine also.No restrictions,in amongst cranes working,pallets swinging above one/s head,etc and no-one said Boo.Then someone decided that it was unsafe!On the whole,until as recently as the early 1980s had no problems in Glasgow until security guards were brought in. :hey:

John Rogers
3rd October 2005, 20:22
I was browsing the net when I came arcross a ex cadet who had a website on the BI Line,very nice pictures there. His ship was the "CHANTALA" would that be the same ship. I should of saved the address, not hard to find again then post it for you BI guys to view, if thats OK.
John.

David Wilcockson
6th October 2005, 23:11
Nice shot, the bow crest of a Strick Line vessel is another lost piece of history.
Any idea what the twin screw vessel right foreground is?

terence
7th October 2005, 00:10
chantala last name kota sentosa built 1950 scrapped 1975 ps photo on web site terry

Thamesphil
7th October 2005, 10:02
Photography in the London and Tilbury docks was still allowed in the 1980s. I have several photos from TSS-organised trips in the early 80s when the Royal Dock system was being run down and mainly used for lay-up.

Cheers
Phil

tanker
7th October 2005, 10:56
Dear friends here an (old pic collect) of CHANTALA i hope is good for yoy!!!!
Gp

Fairfield
7th October 2005, 21:49
Bow crest is a Port Line ship.Right foreground I think was a Federal or NZ Line ship but at the moment can/t find my notes!!

Hugh Ferguson
24th November 2007, 17:26
I wonder if there is anyone who may know if Captain Bell, one time commander of the Chantala, is still around. He does not appear to be living at the address I have in my list. Hugh Ferguson.

David Davies
24th November 2007, 19:40
NZSCo - FSNCo ship is one of their "H" class . Sailed on both Sussex and Huntingdon doing after stations on both. Also sailed in BI "C" class Chandpara