Baynuna

Doxfordman
17th November 2005, 03:12
Does anyone remember the Baynuna - a GCD ship that was chartered from the National Shipping Corporation of Abu Dabie, I think. She was built in Karachi, sister ship sank in the Karachi heads. Had Cegelski Sulzur main engine and aux's. I joined her in Northern Spain and unfortunately the 2/0 fell ill and passed away. we went to Falmouth and from there loaded in Europe for the Caribbean (charter to T&J Harrison), back to Europe and loaded for the gulf. I wonder where she ended up??

airds
17th November 2005, 03:40
Is it ADNATCO's Baynunah (http://www.adnatco.com/English/fleets/FleetDetails.asp?ID=5) built 1983, Korea - or is it an earlier ship?

Pilot mac
17th November 2005, 17:24
Dox,
I remember her although I didnt sail in her, bit of a pigs ear on deck if I remember rightly. Sadly I also remember the 2/0 passing away. The third mate at the time was an old school chum of mine.

regards
Dave

Doxfordman
17th November 2005, 21:00
The name was just "Baynunah". She was built mid 70's in Karachi. Sister ship sank on trials - or so it was alleged. she was conventional on deck, derricks and winches. for ship built then it was very antiquated gear. No control room down below, permanent watch keeping. Good job though.
I can't for the life of me remember who the 3/O was or any other names for that matter. Who was he, it might ring some bells!

Pilot mac
19th November 2005, 17:55
Dox,
3/0 on that trip was Scot Horsburgh, little fellow!

regards
Dave MacVicker

Doxfordman
23rd November 2005, 10:25
Dave,

Are you still in touch with Scot???

ruud
23rd November 2005, 11:16
Ahoy,
Are we talking about the same vessel?

http://www.adnatco.com/English/fleets/FleetDetails.asp?ID=5

Pilot mac
23rd November 2005, 12:06
Ruud,
no, this was a 7o's built conventional cargo ship although she looked late 50's early 60's era. Built strangely in Karachi, Pakistan

regards
Dave

Pilot mac
23rd November 2005, 12:07
Dox,
sadly not in contact, but Ill see if I can find out where he is.

regards
Dave

Doxfordman
23rd November 2005, 21:18
Rudd,

No! Baynunah was a conventional "cargo ship", built in the 70's to a design of the 50's. I'll see if I can dig up any more info.

Ron Stringer
23rd November 2005, 22:24
Rudd,

No! Baynunah was a conventional "cargo ship", built in the 70's to a design of the 50's. I'll see if I can dig up any more info.

You may be over-generous to the Karachi shipyard. Early in the 1990s I went aboard a newbuilding in Karachi for Chinese owners. It had been under construction for over 10 years. Perhaps the Baynunah was even longer under construction.

Ron