Decommissioned life boats

CEYLON220
3rd October 2010, 11:16
We hear of life boats of all types being decommissioned and being replaced by larger crafts, what eventually happens to these unwanted life savers, are they scrapped or sold on to other units or converted into pleasure crafts,they would make an ideal cabin cruiser.

Thats another Story
3rd October 2010, 11:40
good question wondered that myself. john

Bob Murdoch
3rd October 2010, 12:14
My brother in law works near the breakers yard in Ghent. It is veery dificult to get hold of an old lifeboat from the yard. They go like hot cakes for conversion. He had one himself and it made a very nice cruiser. Incidentally, the RFA oilers were done in Ghent just recently.
Bob

gaelsail
3rd October 2010, 12:42
My brother in law works near the breakers yard in Ghent. It is veery dificult to get hold of an old lifeboat from the yard. They go like hot cakes for conversion. He had one himself and it made a very nice cruiser. Incidentally, the RFA oilers were done in Ghent just recently.

Every so often they are advertised on various boat sales websites.

chadburn
3rd October 2010, 12:55
Old Ship's Lifeboat's have alway's been in great demand even those that may not be seaworthy, I can remember after WW2 when there was a housing shortage people bought them and raised families on them. Old Ships Lifeboat's are generally a good buy and make good conversion's (see Bembridge Site), however, you have to bear in mind that they are at their best when they are full of people which means a bit of Ballast may be required. Just after the War it use to be small billets of Pig Iron.

Bob S
3rd October 2010, 13:00
You quite often find them in moored in marinas in private use, last one I saw was the "City of Glasgow II" in Hull Marina a couple of weeks ago.

Bob

Landi
3rd October 2010, 13:24
Hi Ceylon,

Were you referring to ships life boats or RNLI boats?

Ships boats, I have seen photos of loads of old boats from scrapped ships laid up in India, the problem being that they are of little further use as for the size of boat they are underpowered for any other service. I never saw it but a guess there was a street in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, the street of a thousand lifeboats all laid out ready for anyone wanting a replacement boat.

RNLI boats, they used to be sold on and often converted to pleasure craft, if you visit Whitby, we now have six RNLI boats, two in service, an all weather and an inshore, the pilot boat is an ex RNLI, one 1950's boat the Mary Ann Hepworth does pleasure trips to sea (well worth the ride, tell the owner Ian sent you, he will probably charge you extra), then we have a pulling boat in the RNLI museum, and recently another of the ex Whitby pulling boats has been returned to the port and restored, and is now used for displays and for fundraisers.

Ian.

Watson47
3rd October 2010, 19:13
CEYLON220 .... this might whet your appetite ...

http://www.nelsonsboats.co.uk/ListBoats.html

vmr
4th October 2010, 07:57
One Of Our Waverney Lifeboats was sold couple of years ago As a Tug For a fish Farm Over In Perth Western australia, they have good engines and are suitable for That job.Vmr

captain61
4th October 2010, 19:54
CEYLON220 .... this might whet your appetite ...

http://www.nelsonsboats.co.uk/ListBoats.html

Spot on Watson47 best site for ex RNLI boats, many of the Trent boats where sold to China

Stephen

Coastie
4th October 2010, 20:08
I believe some Aruns(?) have gone to Iceland.

CEYLON220
5th October 2010, 22:21
If anyone has a one going begging, I can give it "tender loving care".--if only!!

Coastie
5th October 2010, 23:54
There was one (Ex Arun) for sale here in Holyhead, I don't know if it still is. She's still on her mooring.

alastairjs
6th October 2010, 11:25
On the question of the disposal of "time expired" RNLI all-weather lifeboats the following quotes from the Institution help to clarify the position:
"The RNLI has recently sold ex-Arun class lifeboats to the China Rescue and Salvage Bureau. RNLI assessors flew out to Hong Kong and took the lifeboats on passage to Shanghai with Chinese crews. RNLI instructors also trained five Chinese crew members on the Aruns and accompanied them back to China to see the boats in. The organisation hopes to buy more lifeboats from the RNLI in the near future".
"The RNLI allows its all-weather lifeboats a working life of approximately 25 years and they are offered to other lifesaving societies first, before they are available to the public".
I was at the Poole Lifeboat College last Friday and was told that the Technical Department are looking at the feasabilty of extending the working life of the more modern designs to 40 years from the current 25. I also happened to be in the Operations room when they were arranging for the road transportation of the Mumbles lifeboat to Poole from Portishead to sort out her engine problem.
Regards,
Alastair

gaelsail
6th October 2010, 17:11
3 'lifeboats' of sorts listed today that I just happened to spot:

1 ex.RNLI Tyne Class http://www.findafishingboat.com/detail.php?aid=28317

and 2 shells from enclosed boats listed next

Galley Boy
6th October 2010, 21:52
None of the Trent class have been sold to China Stephen,so far only Aruns and Tynes

captain61
7th October 2010, 10:59
None of the Trent class have been sold to China Stephen,so far only Aruns and Tynes

Dont know why i put Trent I ment to put Arun cheers Galley Boy

Stephen

Bevis
7th October 2010, 13:13
There is quite a healthy market for old Lifeboats, as mentioned before Quinton Nelson has a good handle on what is for sale as a broker and boatyard. The website Apollo Duck is often a good place to search, depending on the age of boat you are looking for (mainly older boats). We had 6 old Lifeboats out last weekend in the Bristol Channel ranging from a 1990s Arun Class to 1933 Liverpool Class boats, have a look at the first of the Lifeboats pages of the Gallery on Ships Nostalgia and you can see the pictures. All the boats have had some degree of conversion to make them "usable" for cruising. The owners would all be keen to discuss the pros and cons!
I have one of the Liverpool Class boats and she is great fun and is used almost every week. Good luck

whitbycolin
28th February 2011, 08:44
Hi Ceylon,

Were you referring to ships life boats or RNLI boats?

Ships boats, I have seen photos of loads of old boats from scrapped ships laid up in India, the problem being that they are of little further use as for the size of boat they are underpowered for any other service. I never saw it but a guess there was a street in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, the street of a thousand lifeboats all laid out ready for anyone wanting a replacement boat.

RNLI boats, they used to be sold on and often converted to pleasure craft, if you visit Whitby, we now have six RNLI boats, two in service, an all weather and an inshore, the pilot boat is an ex RNLI, one 1950's boat the Mary Ann Hepworth does pleasure trips to sea (well worth the ride, tell the owner Ian sent you, he will probably charge you extra), then we have a pulling boat in the RNLI museum, and recently another of the ex Whitby pulling boats has been returned to the port and restored, and is now used for displays and for fundraisers.

Ian.

Ian is spot on, Whitby has a veritable lifeboat history for visitors alike. I believe that there is also another Watson(?) class in private hands usually undergoing some form of work on her.
An earlier Waveney lifeboat the "White Rose of Yorkshire" served Whitby from 1974 to 1988 before being sold to the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary - Robert Banks Lifeboat. As well as this we also have an ex Waveney class of lifeboat as our present Pilot boat.