Common Brothers

Geordie
17th November 2005, 21:50
Hello all
Did anyone sail with comon brothers shipping company, does anyone have a list of thier ships, anyone know the history of the company, i would be pleased to hear from anyone, also searching for a picture of the small bulk carrier Ria Jean Mcmurtry, can anyone help, would love to hear anything about the company Kind regards Geordie

gdynia
17th November 2005, 22:22
From your handle I presume your from the NE. If so its well worh a visit to South Shields Library as they have quite alot on the Tyne Companies.

Geordie
17th November 2005, 23:37
gdynia thanks for the reply, yes im from Newcastle, sailed with scottish ship management a couple of times, loved it, they have a website and its great, unable to find anything about comon bros on the net, sailed on the Ria jean Mcmurtry in 74 and i know the office was in Newcastle, but that about all i know.

Jeff Egan
18th November 2005, 12:00
Commons head office was in Exchange Buildings, Quayside, Newcastle. The building is still there and I'm sure it is signed Exchange Buildings still, just walk along the quayside starting at the Tyne Bridge and you will see it, if you get to the Court building you have come too far.

Geordie
1st December 2005, 18:21
Commons head office was in Exchange Buildings, Quayside, Newcastle. The building is still there and I'm sure it is signed Exchange Buildings still, just walk along the quayside starting at the Tyne Bridge and you will see it, if you get to the Court building you have come too far.
Thanks Jeff, all the best

wa002f0328
6th January 2006, 20:58
Hi Geordie,
Why not pop into the maritime museum just behind the courts, I am sure they will give you all the info you need, it,s on the quayside, cheers bill (North Shields)

gdynia
9th January 2006, 20:01
Hi Geordie,
Why not pop into the maritime museum just behind the courts, I am sure they will give you all the info you need, it,s on the quayside, cheers bill (North Shields)
Bill
Change of orders got sent out to the Red Sea instead of South Korea. Now offshore Ras Shekheir

jack higginson
10th January 2006, 00:27
I Sailed On A Tanker S.s Border Minstrel That I Think Was A Commons Bro. Ship.her Sister Ship Was The Border Reiver And Both Were About 113oo Tons G.r.t. This Was In 1955/56, She Was On Time Charter To B.t.c.with Their Colours But In A Tartan Configuration. I Done Two Trips On Her And She Was One Of The Best Ships Iever Sailed On. Her Crew Was Lasker But The Officers Were All Scotts Except Me And The O.m,...sparks.

Jeffers
10th January 2006, 12:48
I was on the "Border Pele" in 69/70.
She was managed by Common Brothers but was owned by the Lowland Tanker Co.

ARRANMAN35
10th January 2006, 14:59
Hi Jack,
I was on the Border Minstrel for the most of 1957, Joined her in Hamburg in the early spring and paid off at the TOB prior to her discharge
at Finnart in December.
Indeed a good ship and we had a variety of good discharge ports.
Will post a photograph of her in the Tanker Gallery.

Archie.

sfmillsy
11th January 2006, 21:18
Hello Everyone.

Nice to hear someone talking about Common Brothers. I started as Deck Cadet in 1970 and Border Reiver was my first ship. Joined her in Oita and after leaving Japan one of the big end bolts sheared on the old Doxford. The engineers made a temporary repair in the South China Sea and we made it back to the Uk ( 4 months later) on 5 legs, via a few ports on the way.

Commons Brothers moved from Exchange Buildings some time in the 70's to a place called Bamburgh House which I think was on Market Street?

I stayed with them for 7 and a half years and had a great time serving with all kinds of really good blokes.

The ships I sailed on were...Border Reiver, Fina Britannia, Kazimah, Simonburn, Border Shepherd, Nimos (the one everyone wanted to get on...Aussi Coast), Joseph.R.Smallwood (which then became the 'Afghanistan')
Afghanistan and finally Sirine.

I have some old 'Common Crier' house magazines with a long list of ships that were managed, along with the crews along with some intersting articles.

I have to say those days with Commons were hard to beat. Are there any old shipmates out there?

All the best

Steve Mills

Billy1963
13th January 2006, 16:13
Hindustan Steam Ship Co. Ltd. Formed in 1893 by J.W. Squance & Co. who changed their name to Common Brothers Ltd. in 1906 following the retirement of Captain Squance. The company faded out of sight in Lloyds in the late 1980s after it was acquired by Norex Corporation before resuming briefly in the late 1990's.

Wainui
19th January 2006, 23:12
I sailed as Second R/O on the Border Terrier in 1962.
She was my first ship and I quite liked her.
Nice food and the ship was always very clean and tidy.

P.S. The attached pic is of the Border Reiver. I believe the Terrier was of the same class.

ruud
20th January 2006, 07:30

P.S. The attached pic is of the Border Reiver. I believe the Terrier was of the same class.
Ahoy Wainui,
Here you are, the Terrier;

R58484956
20th January 2006, 15:41
Welcome fsmillsy, abiet a little late , enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

Wainui
7th April 2006, 11:32
Thanks Ruud,

I do have a pic of the Terrier now, couldn't find it at the time I posted the last message. Very clean ships arn't they ?

Cheers.

Wainui.

liz
14th May 2006, 21:17

My Father sailed on various Common Brothers ships from 1962 to about 1975. His name was Alan Robinson and he was a cheif engineer. I am at present doing my family history and would be interested if anyone knew him and had any photographs, as my mother lost ours when she moved house.

sfmillsy
26th May 2006, 19:19
Liz,

The name rings a bell and I can picture a face but I think he may have been second engineer when I met him.( sometime between 1970 and 1975... it may have been on the Simonburn)

I have no photo's but I will look in some House magazines for his name on any of the ships in there.

Regards
Steve Mills

Les Gibson
26th May 2006, 23:47
Sailed as Electrician on Afghanistan 1962 (My first trip to sea) and Iron Crown 1962-1963, left Commons to go with Bank Line!

Kagoori
22nd August 2006, 11:15
My Dad Robert Thompson, was with Commons for a good while, I did a couple of trips with him when I was 3 -4 yrs old w ith brother and sisters on the Border Laird and Border Hunter. My earliest memories are of the Gillie Gillie man in Suez and the lights of Hamburg. Sad but true:( My Dad became a Super in '59 and we moved to the NE from L'pool

Tony Breach
22nd August 2006, 21:14
World Ship Society published an excellent history: The Trades Increase, A Centenary History of Norex plc, Founded in 1893 as The Hindustan Steam Shipping Co. Ltd, Managed by Common Brothers. I sailed for them 1985-7 in SPRING DELIGHT.

Dave Anderson
28th August 2006, 12:31
Tony
Having served my time and sailed with Common Bros. from 1963 till 1970 I was wondering if the book "The Trades Increase" includes a history of Commons as well as the Hidustan Shipping Company.
I did four stints on the Afghanistan and the Daghastan as well as the Iron Ore and the Border Laird and was one of the few engineering cadets that Commons ever employed. In fact when I was with them they managed forty ships

john shaw
28th August 2006, 17:16
Hello all
Did anyone sail with comon brothers shipping company, does anyone have a list of thier ships, anyone know the history of the company, i would be pleased to hear from anyone, also searching for a picture of the small bulk carrier Ria Jean Mcmurtry, can anyone help, would love to hear anything about the company Kind regards Geordie

Hi-- there are a couple of pics on shipspotting of a 1973 ship,now "Adriatic Arrow", ex Ria Jean McMurtry-- would this be the one? A link is:
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=275256
there is a stern view at the preceding photo in the shipspotting list

The ship is also listed here,where it appears pics may be ordered;
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:MCR6vJdqubQJ:www.dundeecity.gov.uk/archives/calsort.htm+ria+jean+mcmurtry&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd

Finally, I attach a rather small and indistict pic of the ship in the Channel, details/date of pic unknown. Regards

P.S. it subsequently occurred to me that if it was a Channel shot,it was probably from Skyfotos, so I searched their site and it is in fact available from Skyfotos World Ships Club, for about £3.50 inc. p&p.The link is:
http://3277.e-printphoto.co.uk/skyfotos/index.cfm?z=z&CFID=4642908&CFTOKEN=57233482&y=y&p_id=40783&c_id=2798&action=view

Tony Breach
30th August 2006, 12:12
Hi Dave,

The book "The Trades Increase" ISBN 0 905617 74 6 consists of 200 pages & lists all ships in a total of 51 companies owned, controlled or managed by Commons. It is very complete & in the normal style of WSS each ship is photographed with an acompanying brief but essentially complete history. All of your ships are included & over half of the book is dedicated to histories of Commons & their associated companies. My only interest in the company was my last ship, SPRING DELIGHT, which was owned by W&G Industrial Leasing of London, flagged in Hong Kong, demise chartered to Hopemount Shipping for time charter to Salen Reefer Services, later Cool Carriers. Hopemount was a Commons company by that time part of Kristian Siem's Norex empire and W&G, for Williams & Glynns Bank, was part of (I think) Royal Bank of Scotland or maybe Bank of Scotland. That may indicate how some obscure ships are listed.

It is an excellent book & I have read it cover to cover a couple of times & use it regularly for reference purposes so it well exceeded my expectations.

Regrads, Tony

brisea
18th October 2006, 20:52
well halo geordie
Iworked for comons 1972-1979 and done a trip on rea jean, seen apic of her somewhere on this site you might know me brian nelson 3rd eng from south shields if you do drop a line.

brisea
18th October 2006, 21:13
hello geordie
found this site last night and was supprised to see Common brothers
and a few ships that I had sailed on, NOT TO GOOD AT, getting around
the site as a bit complicated for me, never mind ! You might know me from
the ria jean or the fina britannia brian nelson 3rd eng.
hope to here from you
best regards
brian.

Geordie
19th October 2006, 20:56
John
Thanks for your help, it was very kind of you, i will try these links and see what i get, thanks again Geordie

brisea
24th October 2006, 20:21
hello geordie
I sailed with commons from 72-79 and did a trip on the ria jean in 75 good ship lousy engine (pielstik) good crowd nice bar.
Other ships i was on where al badia, arabyah, fina britannia, kurdistan, caribbean progress, al wasseem, danny f, and the last one was alakrham
then maid redundant! allinall not to bad of an outfit.By the way i am a sand dancer.

GRHH
6th March 2007, 22:42
Having just joined this site I am having diffs finding my way around it. My call sign was that of my first ship the "Border Shepherd" . The following ships were "Ria Jean McMurtry" (Nov '73 - Feb'74), "Frank D Moores", "Border Chieftain", "Kurdistan" (ex Frank D Moores), "Hindustan", Caribbean Endeavour", "Fina Britannia" and "Farid Fares".

dave beaumont
7th March 2007, 07:07
Hi GRHH,
I was on Caribbean Endeavour October 71.Put a couple of pics of her as Carib Trader on site. Cheers Dave

CommonFamily
5th October 2007, 01:37
Hello to all on this thread.

I just found this site today via google, as I am researching the Common family tree, and have just located what I think is a link to Common Brothers Ltd.

I see that most of you actually sailed on the ships, but does anyone know anything about the owners/directors of the company.

My link seems to be Brian Eliot Common who is shown as a director in 1953.

Thanks

vic pitcher
5th October 2007, 10:17

I just found this site today via google, as I am researching the Common family tree, and have just located what I think is a link to Common Brothers Ltd.

I see that most of you actually sailed on the ships, but does anyone know anything about the owners/directors of the company.

Thanks

See the World Ship Society publication "The Trades Increase" (Lingwood/O'Donoghue) a centenary history of Norex PLC (successors to Common Brothers)

REDFIVE
6th October 2007, 19:16
hi
i sailed on the fina britannia as junior eng and then on the kurdistan as 4th eng
was also onboard when she broke in two of nova scotia.

ccurtis1
8th October 2007, 18:39
hello redfive'
I sailed on the Kurdistan just before you. I think Bob Hedley relieved me and then Geordie Bainbridge , wife and kids when you were there when she had her accident. George emigrated to Oz some time ago and lives in Kincumber NSW. Good ship, great crowd with one or two exceptions and a good Company. Did the Kurdistan have WI crew when you were there?
ccurtis1

ARRANMAN35
9th October 2007, 11:54
hi
i sailed on the fina britannia as junior eng and then on the kurdistan as 4th eng
was also onboard when she broke in two of nova scotia.

Hi,
Can you confirm if Eddie Nurse was C/E on her when the incident occurred.
I sailed with him on The Border Minstrel in 1957.

Archie.

gadila
10th October 2007, 22:17
Hello all
Hi, I sailed on Ria Jean Mcmurty in August 1976. I went home for a couple of days when she drydocked in Cardiff and when I got back she was re named City of Pretoria (November 76). She went on hire to Ellermans for anout a year to carry containers to and from South Africa. I re joined the ship in August 78 and she was then named Simonburn. 2 trips and 3 names and a shed load of happy memories. You can get a copy of the ships photograph from http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/archive/caledonnameofvessel/ I will check my old photo album for any pictures I might of taken.

GRHH
12th October 2007, 22:58
I was 2nd trip cadet on the "Ria" in 73/74. I have placed photos of her on the photo gallery.

Supern
30th October 2007, 23:12
My husband was a cadet with Common Bros and became a second engineer (approx 1961 - 1967) and left for NZS

maritiem
10th December 2007, 07:55
Hallo Geordie
Short History and fleetlist of Hindustan Steamship Co.

Hindustan Steam Ship Co. Ltd. was formed in 1893 by J.W. Squance and F.J. Common under the name of J.W. Squance & Co, their first ship was the HINDUSTAN, hence the name of the new company.
Captain Squance retired in 1903 and Francis J. Common died leaving the management of the company in the hands of his eldest son F.W. Common.

In 1907 a partnership of Common Brothers Ltd. was set up by the three brothers.
The Northumbrian Shipping Company Ltd was formed in 1924.
At the beginning of the great slump in 1930 the fleet consisted of 20 tramps and initially none were sold although all were laid up for various periods at the end of their voyages.

At the beginning of World War 2 the Hindustan Steam Shipping Company had 8 tramps and 2 tankers.
A severe blow was dealt to the company by the enemy during the war years altogether 8 ships were lost. 2 ships were lost due nautical hazards.

A major venture began with BP in 1952 starting the Lowland Tanker Company Ltd in which Common Brothers had 25% of the shares. All the ships of this company had the prefix BORDER.

Common Brothers and Jardine Matheson started in 1957 the Vallum Ship Company and ordered 5 ore carriers with IRON names and chartered for 10 years to Bisco.

The existing fleet was run down in the 50ties and in 1956 the Hindustan Steam Ship Co. Ltd owned only 2 tankers, however in 1957 and 1960 joined by 2 ore carriers.
The company entered the bulk trade in 1965 with the delivery of the SIMONBURN.

In 1962 the Burnside Shipping Company Ltd was formed to own 2 nearly new German built tramps which were purchased from Liberian owners.
Control of the North Shipping Company was obtained in 1964 together with their last ship the NORTH DEVON.

The Common family decided in 1964to convert Hindustan Steam Ship Co. Ltd into a public company with listing on the Stock Exchange.
Control of the Hopemount Shipping Company was obtained in 1966 together with the motortramps with the name prefix HOPE.

A trailer Ro-Ro venture was started in 1968 for Caribbean trading named Caribbean Trailer Express and used 2 German built Ro-Ro’s between New York, Kingston and Boca Chica.
This was not a success and all had been sold in 1979 after heavy losses had built up.

From 1977 onwards pre tax losses were made nearly every year and in 1981 the Hindustan Steam Ship Co. Ltd was acquired by Norwegian shipowner Christian Siem through his Norex Ltd., the remaining 2 tankers were sold and chartered back and operated in a pooling arrangement with Gotaas Larsen.

Name Built Builder History Tons
Hindustan (1) 1892 Osbourne, Graham & Co., Sunderland Built for J.W. Squance & Co., 1893 transferred to Hindustan SS Co., 1901 sold to Cia Cantabrica de Nav., Bilbao renamed Valmaseda, 1.11.1910 wrecked on Rio Cana Beach. 2,421
Kurdistan (1) 1895 Short Brothers, Sunderland 1912 sold ro Lavarello Fratelli & Censini, Genoa renamed Vega, 1924 scrapped. 3,036
Afganistan (1) 1899 Short Brothers, Sunderland 1914 sold to J. Tognetti, Genoa renamed Enrico Millo, 26.9.1916 sunk in collision with French steamer SAVOIE in Mediterranean. 3,542
Daghestan (1) 1900 Short Brothers, Sunderland 18.12.1908 sunk in collision with British steamer CATALONE off Sandy Hook. 3,466
Hindustan (2) 1902 Short Brothers, Sunderland 1912 sold to Northern S.S. Co., St. Petersburg renamed Altai, 1918 to The Shipping Controller, 1920 returned to Russia and resold to Societe Maritime & Commerciale de France, Rouen renamed San Martino, 1922 renamed Romanitza, 1925 sold to Compagnie de Commerce & d’Armement, Dunkirk, 1927 sold to Yugoslavia renamed Treci, 10.8.1933 foundered near Brindisi. 3,756
Sagami 1902 Short Brothers, Sunderland Built for New York & Oriental S.S. Co., purchased while building, 1908 sold to J. & C. Harrison, London renamed Harlow, 1913 sold to Soc. Lloyd del Pacifico, Savona renamed Amista, 1932 scrapped at Savona. 4,212
Laristan (1) 1910 Short Brothers, Sunderland 4.9.1916 captured by German submarine U.38, torpedoed and sunk near Gozo. 3,675
Hindustan (3) 1912 Short Brothers, Sunderland 21.3.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.46 in North Atlantic with the loss of 2 lives. 3,692
Daghestan (2) 1912 Short Brothers, Sunderland 1916 sold to Rome Steam Shipping Co. (Fisher, Alimonda & Co.), London, 1920 sold to Italian State Railways, Rome renamed Antium, 1923 sold to Parodi & Corrado, Genoa renamed Bainsizza, 1924 sold to Villain & Fassio, Genoa renamed Alberto Fassio, 1927 sold to Essex Transport & Trading Co. ( Meldrum & Swinson), London renamed Essex Judge, 1937 sold to Thameside Sfhipping Co., 1938 renamed Thorpehaven, 10.6.1938 bombed and sunk by Spanish Nationalist aircraft at Alicante, later raised and to Spanisgh Government, 1941 returned to service as Castillo Guadahlest, 1942 transferred to Empresa Nacional Elcano de la Marina <ercante, Madrid, 24.8.1951 sprang leak and abandoned in North Atlantic, 25.8.1951 foundered. 3,691
Kurdistan (2) 1914 Short Brothers, Sunderland 20.9.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.32 in Mediterranean. 3,720
Hindustan (4) 1917 Bartram & Sons, Sunderland 1918 sold to Prince Line renamed Korean Prince, 1934 sold to D. J. Pateras & Sons, Chios renamed Diamantis, 3.10.1939 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.35 off Land's Ends. 4,990
Wilton 1916 Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool Ex Wilton, 1918 purchased from Pyman Steamship Co. not renamed, 30.6.1918 torpedoed by German submarine UB.57, beached near Hastings, refloated repaired renamed Laristan, 27.1.1926 abandoned in sinking condition by crew in North Atlantic. 4,281
Laristan (2) See Wilton.
Baluchistan (1) 1913 Irvine's Shipbuilding & Drydocks Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool Ex Eustace, 1918 purchased from Pyman Steamship Co. renamed Baluchistan, 1937 sold to African & Continental S.S. Co., London renamed Penthames, 31.5.1938 damaged by Spanish Nationalist aircraft and declared total loss. 3,995
Kurdistan (3) 1918 Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool 1928 sold to Dem. J. Dambassis, Andros renamed Georgios G, 1951 sold same name, 1952 sold renamed Captain Sdyrmas, 1953 scrapped. 4,289
Afghanistan (2) 1917 Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Sunderland Ex Abereden, 1918 purchased from Adam Steamship Co., Aberdeen renamed Afghanistan, 19348 sold to Achille Lauro, Naples renamed Lucrino, 29.8.1944 mined off Cagliari and beached, refloated repaired and rebuilt into a motorship,1960 scrapped. 5,516
Hindustan (5) 1918 Short Brothers, Sunderland Ex War Seagull built for The Shipping Controller, 1919 purchased while fitting out renamed Hindustan, 1939 sold to Kohoku Kisen KK, Tokyo renamed Zinzan Maru, later Jinzan Maru, 16.7.1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Guardfish. 5,217
Turkestan 1917 Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Middlesbrough Ex War Flower built for The Shipping Controller, 1919 purchased renamed Turkestan, 1935 sold to Atlanticos SS Co. (Kulukundis Bros), Syra renamed Mount Lycabettus, 15.3.42 sailed Baltimore, went missing, presumed torpedoed by German submarine U.373. 4,292
Ellerdale 1913 R. Thompson & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ex Ellerdale built for Thomas Smailes & Sons Steamship Co., London, 1919 purchased from Gordon Steam Shipping Co. not renamed, 1937 sold to O/Y Wasa Steamship Co., Wasa renamed Elle, 28.8.1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.101 in North Atlantic. 3,721
Waziristan (1) 1917 Sir J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ex War Rambler built for The Shipping Controller, 1919 purchased renamed Waziristan, 1920 sold to Coylet Steamship Co. (Thomas Dunlop & Sons) converted into a tanker renamed Coylet, 8.2.1922 fire broke out abandoned by crew, 15.2.1922 sunk by US coastcutter. 5,221
Daghestan (3) 1921 Short Brothers, Sunderland Tanker, 25.3.1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.57 with the loss of 4 lives. 5,742
Waziristan (2) 1924 Short Brothers, Sunderland 2.1.1942 stranded in ice in the Arctic Ocean, later torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.134 with the loss of the whole crew. 5,135
Malistan 1924 Bartram & Sons, Sunderland Tanker, 1936 sold to Brazilian Navy renamed Marajo. 5,553
Selvistan 1924 Short Brothers, Sunderland 5.5.1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.266 in North Atlantic with the loss of 6 lives. 5,136
Kafiristan (1) 1924 Short Brothers, Sunderland 17.9.1939 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.53 in North Atlantic with the loss of 6 lives. 5,193
Laristan (3) 1927 Short Brothers, Sunderland Tanker, 15.1.1942 severe damaged after stranding on Tiree Island, declared total loss, 7.1.1943 refloated to Ministry of War Transport, repaired and back in service as Empire Gulf, 1946 repurchased renamed Laristan, 1949 sold to John I. Jacobs & Co., London renamed Cherrywood, 1953 sold to Marco & Sons, London (Costa Rica flag) renamed Irene M, 1954 sold to Muzaffer Emin Zorlu, Turkey renamed Semira, 1960 scrapped. 6,417
Badjestan 1928 Bartram & Sons, Sunderland 1946 sold to Quaside Shipping Co. (Wm. Brown, Atkinson & Co.), Hull renamed Ferriby, 1947 sold to La Tunisienne Steam Nav. Co. ( Frank C. Strick & Co.), London renamed Camerata, 1951 sold to Compania Nacional Naviera S.A., Panama renamed Maria, 1955 sold renamed Somalegra, 1960 scrapped. 5,573
Kurdistan (4) 1928 Short Brothers, Sunderland 10.12.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.130 in North Atlantic with the loss of 10 lives. 5,844
Goolistan 1929 Short Brothers, Sunderland 23.11.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.625 near Tromso and lost with whole crew. 5,851
Pukkastan 1929 Short Brothers, Sunderland 7.9.1939 torpedoed shelled and sunk by German submarine U.34 off Bishop Rock. 5,809
Rajastan 1929 Bartram & Sons, Sunderland 1949 sold to Franco Maresca & C., Italy renamed Mar Terso, 1958 sold to Panamanian Oriental SS Corp. ( Wheelock, Marden & Co.), Panama renamed Marlena, 1959 sold for demolition, 1960 scrapped. 6,391
Hindustan (6) 1940 Short Brothers, Sunderland 1954 sold to Rederi A/B Atos ( Allan Borjesson), Sweden renamed Almen, 1963 sold to Greece renamed Sas, 1972 sold same name, 1977 laid up, 1979 scrapped. 5,245
Daghestan (4) 1941 Wm. Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1956 sold to Asimarfield Shipping Corp., Liberia renamed Annefield, 1969 scrapped at Santander. 7,248
Kafiristan (2) 1941 Wm. Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1954 sold to The Aviation & Shipping Co. ( Purvis Shipping Co.), London renamed Avisglen, 1961 sold to Lebanon renamed Noelle, 1965 transferred to Carmelia Shipping Co., Cyprus, 1972 scrapped at Shanghai. 7,248
Baluchistan (1) 1944 Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyard Inc., Baltimore Ex Samsturdy standard ship type Liberty built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Baluchistan, 1953 sold to Louis Dreyfus & Co., London renamed La Loma, 1958 sold to Zoodochos Cia.Nav., Panama renamed Angelic Force, 1959 transferred to Greece renamed Dynamis, 1966 scrapped at Osaka. 7,249
Newhall Hills 1944 Marinship Corp., Sausalito Tanker standard ship type T2 tanker built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased in damaged condition, repaired and returned to service as Afghanistan in 1949, 1953 sold to Societa di Navigazione Corado, Italy renamed Giacomo Corrado, 1959 laid up, 1961 scrapped. 10,601
Afghanistan (3) See Newhall Hills.
Kurdistan (5) 1950 Harland & Wolff, Belfast Tanker, 1961 sold to Navigation Maritime Bulgare, Bulgaria renamed Arda, 1977 scrapped at Split. 8,322
Waziristan (3) 1950 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow Tanker, 1956 sold to A/S Theologos ( N. Rogenaes), Norway renamed Erling Rogenaes, 1958 sold to Skips A/S Hidlefjord & Skibs A/S Byfjord renamed Korsfjord, 1962 scrapped at Split. 9,115
Laristan (4) 1952 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow Tanker,1963 sold to Andros Navigation Co., Bahamas renamed Alor Star, 1966 sold to Liberia renamed Thassos Island, 1970 renamed Mentor, 1971 sold renamed Marean, 1972 scrapped at Santander. 12,446
Afghanistan (4) 1957 Harland & Wolff, Govan Ore Carrier, 1972 sold to Compania de Nav. Levantino S.A., Panama renamed Levantino, 1981 sold renamed Paxo, 1986 scrapped. 11,188
Hindustan (7) 1957 Lübecker Flenderwerke, Lübeck 1968 sold to Valerosa Cia. Mar. S.A., Greece renamed Agios Nectarios, 8.10.1983 grounded off Bushire, 1984 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 9,104
Daghestan (5) 1960 Harland & Wolff, Govan Ore Carrier, 1975 sold to Sealand Carriers Corp. ( Ugland Management), Singapore renamed Lovinda, 1981 sold to Mergui Shipping Private Ltd (Planet Shipping Co.), Singapore renamed Mercury, 10.6.1982 severly damaged by fire and laid up, 1987 scrapped at Aliaga. 11,204
Laristan (5) 1965 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow Tanker, sold to N.J. Vardinoyannis, Greece renamed Pyrros V, 1971 sold renamed Spectra J, 1975 renamed Pyrros V, 1976 renamed Yannis V, 1976 sold to Saudi Arabia renamed Ras Tanura used as an oil storage barge and bunkering vessel, 1990 renamed Yiannis P.V. 37,927
Hindustan (8) 1976 Swan Hunter Shipbuilders Ltd, South Shields Tanker, 1978 sold to Marsden Point Tankers Ltd (Union Steam Ship Co. of New Zealand), New Zealand renamed Amokura, 1993 sold to Fogarty Maritime Co., Cyprus renamed Transporter LT. 19,867
Simonburn (1) 1973 Robb Caledon Sdhipbuilders Ltd, Dundee Ex Ria Jean McMurtry built for Common Brothers, ex City of Pretoria, ex Simonburn 1977, 1978 transferred to Hindustan S.S. Co., 1979 sold to Vast Shipping Ltd (Gomba Shipping), Channel Islands renamed Gomba Challenge, 1980 sold to Labrador Shipping, Greece renamed Ocean Challenge, 1984 sold same name, 1985 sold to Bermuda same name, 1985 sold to Portline S.A.R.L., Portugal renamed Fernao Gomes. 7,100
Afghanistan (5) 1972 Swan Hunter Shipbuilders Ltd, Hebburn Tanker, ex Joseph R. Smallwood built for Nile S.S. Co., time chartered to Common Brothers, 1976 renamed Afghanistan, 1980 transferred to Hindustan S.S. Co., 1980 to Northumbrian Shipping Co. renamed Newburn, 1981 sold to Sea Sapphire Shipping, Greece renamed Aquarius, 1988 sold to Malta renamed Ascot, 1991 sold to Italy renamed Polare, 1993 sold renamed Monte Chiaro. 19,869
Simonburn (2) 1973 Swan Hunter Shipbuilders Ltd, Hebburn Tanker, ex Frank D. Moores built for Nile S.S. Co., time chartered to Common Brothers, 1976 renamed Kurdistan, 15.3.1979 ran into ice at full speed, hull fractured and bow was later sunk by gunfire, aft section repaired and reconstructed with a new bow section renamed Simonburn, 1980 transferred to Hindustan S.S. Co., 1980 to Northumbrian Shipping Co., 1982 sold to Ching Tankers Liberia renamed Aura Bravery, 1986 sold to Cyprus renamed Seabravery. 19,869
Strait of Canso 1975 Swan Hunter Shipbuilders Ltd, South Shields Built for Northumbrian Shipping Co., 1980 transferred to Hindustan S.S. Co., 1980 to Northumbrian Shipping Co., 1982 sold to Ching Tankers Liberia and chartered back renamed Aura Adventure, 1985 sold to Cyprus renamed Seaborn, 1989 sold to China renamed Xiang Hai. 19,867

Mainsource
Travel of the Tramps, twenty Tramp fleets Vol. II, N.L. Middlemiss, Shield Publication, 1991.
Regards

Raz Jones
11th December 2007, 01:26
I sailed in Common Brother's tanker Kurdistan as Ordinary Seaman from September 1957 until March 1958, Captain Southcombe had his wife and baby daughter aboard for the whole time we were away. the Baby's name was Lesley and she was about eighteen months old, so that little girl would be about fifty one years old now, I wonder where she is ? Regards
Ray Jones

ccurtis1
17th December 2007, 12:51
Re short history of Common Bros by 'Maritiem'
Weren't the 'Tynehome' and 'Wearhome' Common Brothers vessels? They traded out of North East coast ports in the early 1900's. I believe the Common Bros family home in Sunderland in those days was called 'Wearhome'
The vessel 'Wearhome' had reputedly an unusual 'cock-a-doodle doo' whistle sound. My father sailed on the 'Tynehome' in 1923 when he was only 14 years old.

melanne.ne348pa
2nd February 2008, 19:18
[QUOTE=Dave Anderson;73640]Tony
Having served my time and sailed with Common Bros. from 1963 till 1970 I was wondering if the book "The Trades Increase" includes a history of Commons as well as the Hidustan Shipping Company.
I did four stints on the Afghanistan and the Daghastan as well as the Iron Ore and the Border Laird and was one of the few engineering cadets that Commons ever employed. In fact when I was with them they managed forty ships[/QUOTE

hi dave,
if you are D L Anderson and were on the "Laird" in 1966 i was the second engineer and did over a year on her, the good all days!
i did over 20 years with commons and took their last ship, a gas carrier, the Bo Bengtson to the knackers yard.
ive just found this site so maybe i,ll hear from some "old" commons men,

best regards

Mel Allen

ccurtis1
7th February 2008, 00:25
Hello Mel, still keen on the photography?
Still living amongst the "sand-dancers" ?
If it is you, must have a beer sometime.
Afghan when we had incompatible blended fuel oil and everything siezed up, even the boiler oil boost pumps, remember.
Kind regards
Colin Curtis

andy dunn
7th February 2008, 21:57
hi geordie,
first trip to sea was with common brothers. did over seven months on the mv leeds, sister ship to the mv langley,joined her in genoa july 3, 74,just after they were bought from the french,.remember going to durban couple of times,also a great 10 days in mombassa,some eye opener for a 16 year old,some memories i shall never forget,especially the sun shine bar,.plenty of penacillin was administered before the ship sailed.
some of the guys i remember ,tony mallon.peter duffy,catering. norman glass chippy,snowball dont know real name,rolly,paul ewes,ab,s.
and a well known ab from north shields chow norman,who sadly died in a hospital at durban,his ashes brought back onboard and after a prays by captain maddocks (think his name was,) chow was layed to rest where he spent most of his life ,on the sea.
any way geordie,getting on to the rio jean dad sailed on her for a while probably early 70 also younger brother about 76,both named ronnie dunn.
in fact my grandfather went over to the fyords when he was 70,for common brothers,as a watchman, shared the job with joe block.
said enough for now geordie.
so till the next story,bye for now
andy dunn.

melanne.ne348pa
16th February 2008, 19:10
My Father sailed on various Common Brothers ships from 1962 to about 1975. His name was Alan Robinson and he was a cheif engineer. I am at present doing my family history and would be interested if anyone knew him and had any photographs, as my mother lost ours when she moved house.

hi Liz

I sailed with your dad as second engineer on the Border Pele for the most of 1968.
"Big Al!" was a real smashing bloke and one of the best engineers that I ever
sailed with and knew "Doxfords" inside out.
I relieved him (and your Mam) at Singapore in 1974 and got a typical Big Al
handover!
I never heard much of him after that and often wondered what happened to him.
I have only fond memories of your Dad and even though i was and still am a keen photographer Im sorry to say have no photos of that time.
I was on the "Pele" when Al joined early 68 in I think the "Isle of Grain", he relieved a Chief called Harry Watson another well known "Commons" chief.
I hope your family history goes well and you hear from more Ex Commons men for your father was well known and liked.
regards
mel allen

jim heslop
26th February 2008, 07:38
Hi Geordie
In 1959 Common Bros had a ship built in Middelsbrough called the Iron Ore

JIm Heslop

trotterdotpom
26th February 2008, 11:36
Hi Geordie
In 1959 Common Bros had a ship built in Middelsbrough called the Iron Ore

JIm Heslop

It was named after a bird from the Robin Hood who would do your shirts for an extra ten bob.

John T.

vodkaman
14th March 2008, 15:48
hi geordie
my late father in law sailed with common brothers from the 50's till the untill the 80's made redundant . his name was john george lathan . he was a c/e . he was on the farid fares when it went down off australia . he served on the caribean progress ,oakwood,rosewood . we have lots of photos and dates of ships he served on . we are just looking for ex crewmembers of his

malcolm and janet powell

Lynda
17th March 2008, 07:59
Hi
I was at school with a girl whose father was one of the Brothers. I am still in touch with her so if you want any info I could perhaps help.
Regards
Lynda

johnsmay
14th July 2008, 14:31
Hi

I joined Common Bros in 1977 probably one of the last batch of Cadets to join the company. I was with them until they laid everyone off in 1981/82. Great memories and met lots of good guys and lassies in my time with Commons.

Sailed on Caribbean Endeavour, Fina Britannia, Kurdistan (on her when she broke in two off the Canadian Coast) Afgahnistan, Alakram, Danny F, Fernando F, Persia.

Any old ship mates who are out there, love to hear from you.

Iain May, Edinburgh

johnsmay
14th July 2008, 14:35
hi geordie
my late father in law sailed with common brothers from the 50's till the untill the 80's made redundant . his name was john george lathan . he was a c/e . he was on the farid fares when it went down off australia . he served on the caribean progress ,oakwood,rosewood . we have lots of photos and dates of ships he served on . we are just looking for ex crewmembers of his

malcolm and janet powell

Hi

I remember your father from my days with Common Bros. I was only a Deck Cadet at the time, but do remeber seeing and talking to him in Australia as i was on the sister ships of the Farid Fares, the Persia, Danny F and Fernado F.

Great memories

Iain May

GRHH
16th July 2008, 22:36
Hi

I joined Common Bros in 1977 probably one of the last batch of Cadets to join the company. I was with them until they laid everyone off in 1981/82. Great memories and met lots of good guys and lassies in my time with Commons.

Sailed on Caribbean Endeavour, Fina Britannia, Kurdistan (on her when she broke in two off the Canadian Coast) Afgahnistan, Alakram, Danny F, Fernando F, Persia.

Iain May, Edinburgh

I think you joined the "Caribbean Endavour" with me and a C/E whose name unfortunately escapes me in Panama. You were 1st trip cadet, I was 3/0.

Miles.

MadScot
2nd August 2008, 01:15
My Late father Norman (Nick) Harris sailed with Common Brothers.

The only ship I remember being mentioned was the Simonburn as my name is Simon and as a young kid thought is was mine LOL. Anyone got a picture?

He would have been Cadet/2nd/3rd? mate at the time.. I'm trying to find his discharge book to check..

On the right in this Picture http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=101327
Can anyone name the others as I recognise the chap he is hanging on to but cannot remember the name..

ollywest
8th August 2008, 13:40
My father sailed as a cadet on the Rajastan in 1944/45 around east africa coast, I'm trying to get a picture of this ship, anyone any ideas, have tried the usual google search to no avail.
Cheers
Ian

Dave Edge
9th August 2008, 00:28
ollywest,
The name was spelt Rajahstan, which may help when googling.

JUENICK
11th September 2008, 22:14
I Served my time with commons from 78-82, then made redundant like so many others. Sailed on the Carriers for a few trips after that and wer'nt those the good old days !. proper ships and a social life .(Reefer, Persia,and Fernanda)
I'm now C/E with Maersk
Some of may remember my old man ,2nd Eng Stan Carr. he was with Commons and Fares for many years until retirement

WilliamH
12th September 2008, 15:55
For Juenick
I remember your father (see my post 6/9/2008 in Common Brothers 1969 to 1974) I was J/E on the Iron Crown in 1961, your father was 2nd Eng, Bill Rotheram was C/E. I sincerly hope your dad is still with us and enjoying his retiment. It was only my second trip when I was on the Iron Crown and your dad looked after me, he was very popular with all the Engineers. It was a very sporting ship, darts and table tenis, your dad and the electrician were the table tenis doubles champions but the 3/E and myself were the darts doubles champions, there was tremedos rivalry onboard. In later years I was on a ship in Bombay and looking to have some boiler suits made, the local taylors were presenting their references, and I found one written and signed by a Stanford Carr, Second Engineer, it as quite a humorous reference and I was sure it was the same same Stanford Carr that I had sailed with.

ROYROYROVER
3rd October 2008, 22:31
Hi There
I remember your father very well although I never sailed with him (A real Gentleman ).We met in singapore when the Danny F (where I was 2nd Engineer for a lot of years ) was at drydock with the Fernanda F

borderreiver
12th October 2008, 20:42
The captain name was lloyd.
I take it you left the leeds in the gulf before everything wen wrong.
Rgds
C James

Kat B
1st November 2008, 07:23
Hi,
My uncle, Jack Burgess, was the purser on the Hindustan from mid 1949 to about mid 1952. I came across the Trades Increase a few years ago when I began searching the net for some history on the Common Brothers. I have been researching on and off over the past 4 years (more off than on) and was finally sitting down plotting their passage over that time today and came across this site.

I have some dates and places from June to September 1949, then only have 3 dates in 1950 which I gathered from the Hindustan Herald that my uncle still has. Then I have most of their journeys from August 1951 to June 1952.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to be able to find listings of all ships journeys during a given time. I am restricted by being in Australia, but was wondering if there would be any record that the public can view.

As purser he kept a little notebook in his pocket to note arrival day/time, berth time, what the bunkers, fresh water and draft was on arrival and departure, discharge, loadings, cargo (generally only weight), cash required, any crew information, correspondence etc. This was all transferred into the Captains log. This has been a wonderful resource for me. Something to help me put together a story of his time on the Hindustan (although at the rate I'm doing this, is my version of War and Peace)

He has told me about the time in early 1950 when they were found to have 18 stowaways onboard and how they had three deserters in Sydney late Sept 1951.

He doesn't understand why I am interested as he says it was mostly mundane, but it has been fun when I do spend time with him chatting about this stuff. When I started this in 2004 his wife thanked me as we chatted more in a couple of days than he would in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.
Kat.

kevinmurphy
3rd December 2008, 09:40
I served my time with commons, joining the Kurdistan in 77, then caribbean progress , Simonburn(ex ria Jean), Strait of Canso, Simonburn(ex back end of kurdistan), first trip 3/0 on the canso in 81, then onto the sheepboats, FernandaF 3 times then Persia.
I sailed on the Ria Jean again late 2004 it was known as the "Ocean Challenge". Paid a visit to the office (bamburgh house) in july 2005 while at college, it was all being packed away, saw Bruce Swinbanks, that was about the end of commons. Went back on the "Fernanda F" then Danny F in '88 and was paid off in Jebel Ali in december, when they made the decision to replace the Brits.

Good times in general with a good bunch of shipmates, I think I received some good training which stood me in good stead over the years.

After 30 yrs at sea the last 10 in command, and once again being replaced by cheap labour, I decided to try different pastures, I am now a surveyor in the UAE where thankfully skill & knowledge are more important than cheapness.
Kev

jrell
9th January 2009, 00:03
In 1970 I for a short time worked in the personnel office in Exchange building with Bruce Swinbanks and Dot I think the personnel manager was Ebdon any one know what happened to them?

iain48
10th January 2009, 21:35
I often remember my late father Hugh McArthur (Chief Steward 1960- 1981) mention the name Bruce Swinbanks and never in a negative way.

ian.gibson
4th February 2009, 10:23
Hi

I remember your father from my days with Common Bros. I was only a Deck Cadet at the time, but do remeber seeing and talking to him in Australia as i was on the sister ships of the Farid Fares, the Persia, Danny F and Fernado F.

Great memories

Iain May

Hi , i sailed on the Fenanda f between 1980-83 when John was chief, great guy one of the old school, we used to get on very well because of our mutual lova of music, many happy tales to tell and still have some pics of all the lads somewhere must post them, Geordie Bainbridge was the 2nd for most of the time another great guy, were are you now Tommy Davison (3rd ) Alan cotterill, Jim Shearer, Alan Wickens , et all??

ian.gibson
4th February 2009, 14:30
hi geordie

malcolm and janet powell

hi my name is Ian Gibson and i sailed with John a number of Times in the early eighties on the Fernanda f, John was of course the Chief eng , one of the old school and a real gent, we got on great becauce of our mutual love of music and Jaguar cars and would sit and talk many times about them even though John was going a little deaf through listening to all them engines over the years!! i have some pics of him at ships barbies etc somewhere ( always in uniform of course! ), sorry to hear he,s passed on but i,ll always remember him with great admiration and affection, a "true" chief engineer in every way

kevhogg
4th February 2009, 15:42
Hi,
Try getting a hold of a book by norman middlemiss travel of the Tramps vol 1-4 not sure which one prob 3 or 4.This give Co History and total amount of ships owned and managed.
kev

carolynpine
15th February 2009, 21:40
hello, I am the daughter of Capt Dennys Watson who sailed with Common Bros and then World Wide shipping until his death in at sea in Jan 1981. I would love to hear from anyone who knew him or sailed with him between 1950-1981.

some of the ships I remember being on with him as a young child are: Fina Britannia, kurdistan, dagestan, pretrobras, renown.

He also served as a north sea and baltic pilot in the late 1970's.

thanks

stephengraham37
6th March 2009, 22:09
My dad worked for commons in the 60's -70's.....Herbert 'Ken" Graham

borderreiver
6th March 2009, 22:18
what was he

jim thompson
7th March 2009, 20:26
dear janet, my name is jim thompson, the same as my dad who was second eng on the farid at that time. Dad passed away a few years ago but i remember you and your mum and visiting your house in lambs lane when i sailed with him as a kid. i now live in camborne and have just found this interesting website. i bumped into your dad about 12/13 years ago in falmouth. still dancing?

jim thompson
7th March 2009, 20:35
remember the tug of war & quoits competitions on the fernanda in 82?
always knew you'd go far or die laughing. jim thompson, ex 4th eng simonburn & fernanda.

Campbeh
9th April 2009, 16:28
How are you Iain,

Still in the Reserves or not? I've got a cracking photo of you and me in boiler suits after our funnel excursion on Fernanda F, black as the ace of spades. What were we in there for? Good memories.

Harry Campbell.

Jan Powell
14th April 2009, 14:25
Hi Jeff

Yes the building is still there it is now a hotel, i know this because my father woked for common brothers as a c/e his name was John George Lathan.

I am his daughter Janet now mrs powell

Jan Powell
14th April 2009, 14:32
Hi Jim

My dad John passed away in July 2002 and my mum Pauline passed away in July 2003.

I know Live in Skelmersdale lancashire with my husband and 3 cats.

I gave up wheelchaire dancing when we left cornwall in may 2007.

if you want to contact me please send a private message.

Many Thanks

Mrs Janet Powell nee Lathan

Podmore
11th May 2009, 14:33
ARE YOU Miles Tallantyre?

stevemim
11th May 2009, 16:08
I was on the North Devon in '66, North Shipping Company,owned and managed by Common Bros,at the time,like to hear from anyone there at that time.

Stevemim

borderreiver
11th May 2009, 17:13
I am a border boat man
1966 I was on the KOTC ships met the north Devon in Venus once but a little befor 66

Roys1
12th May 2009, 12:42
I was on the North Devon in '66, North Shipping Company,owned and managed by Common Bros,at the time,like to hear from anyone there at that time.

Stevemim

Hi, I did my first trip as third mate on Devon, joined in Nov. 65 at Manchester and left in Dec 66 at South Shields.
I remember her as a great ship tramping around. David Flett was Master. ??Keddy was Mate, Graham & Jamie ?? cadets out on the quarter deck as I recall. Can't remember any more at the moment.
I have a photo of her in my office, she had very nice lines. Enjoyed reading 'The Trades Increase' all about Commons and photos of every ship they owned.
What were you on as. ? Roy Swan

stevemim
21st May 2009, 21:55
Hi Roy,

I do remember Jamie and Graham,Captain David Flett,a Geordie engineer Mick Flint,somalie greasers and a very large Chief Steward 6/6" and 33 stone,sparks was from Dublin.
We were out East japan Australia 9 months I think.Maybe some other names will come out of the grey matter in time.
I rember it being a happy ship, Regards Steve.

Jan Powell
17th June 2009, 15:47
hello geordie
I sailed with commons from 72-79 and did a trip on the ria jean in 75 good ship lousy engine (pielstik) good crowd nice bar.
Other ships i was on where al badia, arabyah, fina britannia, kurdistan, caribbean progress, al wasseem, danny f, and the last one was alakrham
then maid redundant! allinall not to bad of an outfit.By the way i am a sand dancer.

Hello my name is Mrs Jan Powell i see u sailed on the Caribbean Progress from which year did you ever sail with a C/E called John George Lathan he was my father but passed away on the 13th July 2002.

I sailed on the Progress infact i had my seventh birthday onboard ship.

Many thanks

Mrs Jan Powell

shaun watson
17th June 2009, 17:10
Hi I am carolyn pines brother son of captin Watson also trying to track down crew members who new him and photos of themselves i have photos on my profile favs of some of the ships and one of crews mess i also have a copy of the crier with the fina britannia in it my father was captin when she blew up and was towed to port i was 3 years old and my sister was 5 we were on bord at the time

thowe
18th June 2009, 19:32
To Shaun Watson
I sailed on the Border Regiment with your dad, about 1962,I was first trip apprentice, he was first trip master,did four trips Persian Gulf ports to Japan.
Sailed with Denys as 3/o and 2/o on KOTC tanker AL-Sabbiyah ,three trips
Europe to Persian Gulf. Your mother Ann was on board for those voyages.
WE also did several months on the Caribbean Progress on the Canadian coast.I will have to look up the exact dates but I think you and your sister were just a twinkle in Denys,s eye at that time.
I was still with Commons when Denys was in command of the Fina Britannia which had serious engine problems off the Cape of Good Hope and was towed into a South African port ,repairs taking several weeks

Dave Slater
27th June 2009, 12:41
Hi,
Just discovered site! I joined as a deck cadet in Sept 1974 along with Ken Coldrick, Warren Newton and Colin Harris. First ship was the Woodburn (ex Halcyon Days) which i left in Feb 1975 in Philladelphia. Joined the Caribbean Progress in Apr 1975 in Halifax Nova Scotia before it was renamed Iranian Progress and carried Mack trucks to Khorramshah in Iran. First trip we had to go via Capetown as Suez was closed but came back via canal. Spent 2 weeks in Mombasa for engine repairs! After 2nd trip to Iran, flew back from Abadjan to go to college. Joined Ria Jean McMurtry in Grangemouth in March 1976 and did 2 trips between Europe and Newcastle, New Brunswick.
Can anyone remember those trips? I am terrible for remembering names but the Captains were E. Judge, C. Anderson and E. Bryan although i can't make out the signature of the Woodburn captain.

Dave Slater.

TIM HUDSON
27th June 2009, 13:25
Dave
I joined Woodburn (ex Halcyon Loch by the way) in February 1975 at Philadelphia (Sun Oil at Marcus Hook). Capt was Cliff Southcombe from East Boldon. Had his wife and young daughter aboard.

borderreiver
27th June 2009, 18:51
Great names from the past Eric Judge got me going for my 2 mates while on the Border Hunter
Charlie Anderson I sailed with also
and Eddy Bryan on the Vastiram.
I was in charge of the Woodburn for the sale in Norway so cold all the toilets froze up. three months of sking.

Dave Edge
28th June 2009, 01:18
Eric Judge was mate of the Kazimah when I was there. His father had been master with Alder Fyffes and I recall him telling me that it wasn't until he spent a holiday with friends that he realised not all cutlery and bedding was embossed E&F.

Billieboy
28th June 2009, 08:29
Eric Judge was mate of the Kazimah when I was there. His father had been master with Alder Fyffes and I recall him telling me that it wasn't until he spent a holiday with friends that he realised not all cutlery and bedding was embossed E&F.

Dave, were you on, "Kazimah", when the cylinder head studs were breaking? I was the guy in Rotterdam who was removing the broken bits. (Thumb)

TIM HUDSON
28th June 2009, 17:40
Billieboy

am pretty sure Kazimah was a steam turbine ship. Do you mean the auxiliary engines ?
tim

Dave Edge
29th June 2009, 02:51
Kazimah was a steam turbine powered tanker and the first large ship under the Kuwaiti flag. I was there 63-64 and we called regularly at Europoort but I don't recall any repair work being carried out there.

Billieboy
29th June 2009, 10:04
The Kazimah I was talking about was a sister of Al Faiah(?) both fitted with Sulzer 10RLA100 25.000MW. Biggest product carriers ever built. Sorry Dave this must have been the second vessel with that name.

Jan Powell
29th July 2009, 15:05
hello geordie

Hi my dad John George Lathan was a C/E on the Caribbean Progress I was on Board with him and my mum in November 1977, My name is Mrs Jan Powell nee Lathan

Jan Powell
29th July 2009, 15:21
remember the tug of war & quoits competitions on the fernanda in 82?
always knew you'd go far or die laughing. jim thompson, ex 4th eng simonburn & fernanda.

Hi Jim

I am John George Lathan's daughter Jan my father died in july 2002 and my mum Pauline died in july 2003.

I got Married to my husband Mal on may 30th 2004 at the home of newcastle united st james park.

We now live in Skelmersdale Lancashire with our three cat Waffle who is 9yrs old Whiskey who is 7yrs old and our kitten Stevie she is 5 months old

best wishes

Jan Powell

Ghost
31st July 2009, 01:15
The second Kazimah was sister ship of the second Al Funtas, as you say big motor product carriers. Al Fahia was a steamer.

Billieboy
31st July 2009, 06:42
The second Kazimah was sister ship of the second Al Funtas, as you say big motor product carriers. Al Fahia was a steamer.

Quite right, must have been a senior moment!(Thumb)

pilotman
25th August 2009, 00:25
Been a long time since anyone visited this site but here goes. I served my time as cadet with commons 73 to 78. my first ship was the Border Pele which I joined in sept 73 in Pireaus. Subsequent ships were the Caribbean Endeavour with Charlie Anderson as captain and John Dalgleis, did'nt want to came after 7 months. Then the Dagestan, JR Smallwood feb 75 to sept 75 joined with Lindsey Milne from Scotland where are you now lindsey. Did a brief trip on Border Chieftain and then 4 months on the Ida Lundrigan with the late John Gite as mate, joined with John Garner jinky john who I think is now with stena?? Well Jinky. Then Kurdistan ex FD Moores and City of Pretoria ex Ria Gene Mecmurtry. Anyone who remembers me pat heffernan drop us a line. Am now working ashore as pilot last 20 years. have got the history of the company THE TRADES INCREASE which is well worth gettin by John Lingwood and Kevin O Donoghue 1993 isbn 0905617746. Really enjoyed my time with commons and all the geordies, a great bunch of lads.

pilotman
25th August 2009, 00:38
Its been along time since anyone was on this site but here goes I served my time with commons from 73 to 78 and really enjoyed it the geordies are a great bunch of lads. Particularly remember Lindsey Miln from Scotland, who was with me on the JR Smallwood for 7 months and John Garner who I sailed with on the Ida Lundrigan for 4 months . where are you lads . Thing John was with stena afterwards and rose to dizzy heights. I have the history of the company The Trades Increase which is well worth getting if you have an interest in the company. Im working ashore the past 20 years as a pilot so still in the trade, but oh how different the trade is today, if anyone remembers me Pat Heffernan, one of the Irish Lads drop us a line

Jan Powell
4th September 2009, 15:19
Hi can anybody tell me any name of crew members by dad John George Lathan would have sailed with when he was cheif engineer on Carribean Progress.

And if any of them are still alive today

Many Thanks

Jan Powell nee Lathan

Jan Powell
4th September 2009, 15:26
Hi Geordie

My Father John George Lathan was a Chief Engineer with Common Brothers he died in July 2002 of cancer.

The only ships i can remember are the caribean endevour and her sister ship which is the on my dad was on the caribean progress i sailed with him and my mum in 1977 on the progress .

Many Thanks

Jan Powell nee Lathan

cookietwo
27th October 2009, 22:45
I sailed with Common Brothers between 1973 and 1975 I was jcr and a ast/ stwd I was on the Daghestan Frank D Moores and the Ria Jean Mcmurtry and I also remember Bruce Swinbanks he was a decent and fair man.

Geoff Clode
3rd November 2009, 13:33
Hi out there, I was on the London Clipper in 72, I joined her in bremerhaven. I remember we had no contract for a cargo so we were told to head for Panama. When we got there still no cargo so we sailed to guadaloupe, parked up in a bay and had a barby. I remember going ashore on one of them islands and was having a beer, when this guy started talking to me. He was ex Common Bros and he pointed to a small coaster tied up, it was his and he had another one. Did I want a job as engineer, I declined but considered a VNC. I often wonder where I would have ended up if I said yes! I just wondered if any of you Common Bros guys out there knew him?

peter johnson
6th November 2009, 14:43
Hello my name is peter Johnson and I sailed on the carribean Progress just before she was sold to the greeks in 78. I remember your dad although I never sailed with him, my brother STAN JOHNSON was engineer with him when the engine room went on fire in the atlantic, he often recalls the stories with fond memories of your dad and the great crowd who were on the ship at the time. I sailed with your uncle Bob Lathan a few years later when he was Chief with Stevy Clarkes.
Fond memories
Peter Johnson

WilliamH
6th November 2009, 17:30
Hello my name is peter Johnson and I sailed on the carribean Progress just before she was sold to the greeks in 78. I remember your dad although I never sailed with him, my brother STAN JOHNSON was engineer with him when the engine room went on fire in the atlantic, he often recalls the stories with fond memories of your dad and the great crowd who were on the ship at the time. I sailed with your uncle Bob Lathan a few years later when he was Chief with Stevy Clarkes.
Fond memories
Peter Johnson

Was Stan Johnson from South Shields (Horsley Hill) and did he serve an apprenticship at Smiths Docks, if thats him I was at the same school as him.

ted harrison
6th November 2009, 18:28
Hi, I've only recently 'found' the SN website and I'm fascinated with the photo gallery and much enjoying the 'posts' especially those concerning Common Bros. I served my time at the North Eastern Engineering Co in Wallsend. My first trip (1960) was on the Clearton (Chapman & Willan) before joining Common bros. I sailed on the Iron Ore (Jan 61 to Dec 61) then the 'Horse' from feb 62 to Dec 63. (Including the deep sea tow, first to Greenock then to Wallsend for repairs, following a collision with the Mersey pilot boat outward bound for Sept Isles then two days later, a broken crankshaft & crankcase fire). I then did a 6mth spell on the North Devon to China as 3rd Eng in 64 followed by a few months on the coast with Stephenson Clarke. My last ship was the Iron Barque in 1965.
It would be great to hear from anyone who sailed on these ships at the same time as me, particular Billy Newton from Sunderland who was 2/eng on both the Ore and Horse.
Thanks for some happy memories from your posts.
Ted Harrison

ted harrison
7th November 2009, 19:23
Can anyone fill in the details of the conversion of the Aspidoforos ex Iron Horse, between 1971 and 1978 (the two photos in the gallery shows her with and without cargo handling gear). What trade was she converted for, where was the work done? I'd be interested to learn of her history after my days on her and after she was sold by Common Bros.
Ted Harrison

South Shields
22nd November 2009, 16:32
Hi,
Just discovered site! I joined as a deck cadet in Sept 1974 along with Ken Coldrick, Warren Newton and Colin Harris. First ship was the Woodburn (ex Halcyon Days) which i left in Feb 1975 in Philladelphia. Joined the Caribbean Progress in Apr 1975 in Halifax Nova Scotia before it was renamed Iranian Progress and carried Mack trucks to Khorramshah in Iran. First trip we had to go via Capetown as Suez was closed but came back via canal. Spent 2 weeks in Mombasa for engine repairs! After 2nd trip to Iran, flew back from Abadjan to go to college. Joined Ria Jean McMurtry in Grangemouth in March 1976 and did 2 trips between Europe and Newcastle, New Brunswick.
Can anyone remember those trips? I am terrible for remembering names but the Captains were E. Judge, C. Anderson and E. Bryan although i can't make out the signature of the Woodburn captain.

Dave Slater.
Hi Dave,
Ken Coldrick here, I remember you well what are you up to these days. I left in 1980 and went into the software business. Do you know whatever happened to Colin Harris and Warren Newton.

kevinmurphy
29th November 2009, 19:29
Hi Dave,
Ken Coldrick here, I remember you well what are you up to these days. I left in 1980 and went into the software business. Do you know whatever happened to Colin Harris and Warren Newton.

I releived Warren on the Fernanda F in Feb '82. He married in Aussie & was working on the tugs in the Spencer Gulf,met him couple of times later at ship parties, sailed with another lad few yrs ago that knew him from the tugs & beleive he's in Adelaide, skipper on the tugs.
Kev

South Shields
9th December 2009, 09:29
Thanks for that Kev, how are you these days ?

peter potts
22nd December 2009, 13:17
HI. Have any of you got photo,s of the IDA LUNDRIGAN or the ALAKHRAM to put in the gallery

kevinmurphy
22nd December 2009, 23:01
Thanks for that Kev, how are you these days ?
Fine, living & working in Cairo as a surveyor for a marine & engineeering consultancy group, its not bad here, job interesting.
Kev

brenpower
27th December 2009, 11:25
Can anyone help me in my quest for a photo of the TURKESTAN. My Father served on her in 1922 and as I have photos of most of the other ships he served on, I'd love to add the Turkestan to the album. Thanks.

w.j.smith
27th December 2009, 12:36
brenpower, I can help with a photo of TURKESTAN but am not able to do that until tomorrow,which will be Monday 28th Dec' 09. Cheers Bill Smith Melbourne Australia.

Jan Powell
14th February 2011, 16:02
Hi my name is Jan Powell nee Lathan

Can anyone give me a list of crew members from the Fared fares who went down due to a fire 36 hours out of port in Aussie.

The reason i ask is i have been told there was someone called George A Carroll on board and he died a couple of weeks after the ship court fire.

if anyone out there can help me i would be very pleased

Many Thanks

Jan Powell nee Lathan
Daughter of C/E John George Lathan

Dave Slater
11th March 2011, 01:27
Hello all

Sailed on Ria Jean as Navigating cadet from March to July 1976. The captain was E. Bryan I think. I may have a photo but I am at work at present and will check soon. Cheers.

GeeM
25th May 2011, 00:33
My Grandfather Harold Saundry Martin sailed with Common Brothers during WW2 on the Tyne Home. Does anybody out there have any pictures of her?

w.j.smith
25th May 2011, 08:07
Sailed on Ria Jean as Navigating cadet from March to July 1976. The captain was E. Bryan I think. I may have a photo but I am at work at present and will check soon. Cheers.

Dear David,Re your enquiry re the Ria JeanMcMurtry. I have a vague idea that i responded to your enquiry previously,However,The ship had a multitude of names and history which is listed in the book "THE TRADES INCREASE" A centenary history of NOREX Founded in 1893 as The Hindustan Steam Shipping Co. Ltd.. MANAGED BY COMMON BROS. all details and a very good photograph on page 146 of the book. If you have difficulty in accessing the book please let me know and I may be able to copy the information for you. kind regards Bill Smith.

w.j.smith
25th May 2011, 08:26
My Grandfather Harold Saundry Martin sailed with Common Brothers during WW2 on the Tyne Home. Does anybody out there have any pictures of her?

Dear Gee M. I have just replied to a similar enquiry fom a Dave Slater if you refer to that reply it may answer some of your questions,failing t hat please contact me again.kind regards,Bill Smith.

REDFIVE
12th October 2011, 14:25
dont know if you can remember me, but i was your jnr on the kurdistan.
next trip i was 4th, and was onboard when she hit ice.
im still livining in the n/east
regards trevor brown

billwoodwardart
1st December 2011, 04:33
I paid off the Fernanda F in Singers in 1981- glad to see the back of her. Sailed like a pendulum...mirror shattered off my bulkhead one night covering me in shards. For'd accomodation was crap! Hottest engine room in the world! Goetteverken engines. Only ship I don't miss. But what a great crowd of people on that ship!

WDH
7th February 2012, 19:53
Hello all

Hi Geordie, I sailed with Common Bros on th Border Castle, Border Pele, and the Ria Jean, I left the Ria Jean in 1974, maybe we were on her at the same time, I was 3rd eng.

I'm also a "Geordie" though I live in Canada now, we do get around.

Dave Anderson
10th February 2012, 18:35
[QUOTE=Dave Anderson;73640]Tony
I did four stints on the Afghanistan and the Daghastan as well as the Iron Ore and the Border Laird and was one of the few engineering cadets that Commons ever employed. In fact when I was with them they managed forty ships[/QUOTE

hi dave,
if you are D L Anderson and were on the "Laird" in 1966 i was the second engineer and did over a year on her, the good all days!
i did over 20 years with commons and took their last ship, a gas carrier, the Bo Bengtson to the knackers yard.
ive just found this site so maybe i,ll hear from some "old" commons men,

best regards

Mel Allen
It's been a long time Mel. but it's the same Dave Anderson. I joined the Laird in Newcastle at the tank cleaning berth and paid off there ten months later. It was a right steep learning curve for me but it must have done me no harm as I went on to sail as chief till I left the merchant navy and went to work for Shell in the offshore oil indusry.
I wonder what happened to Dave Hislop, Jack Nevin!!! or Jimmy Mayne. Good to hear you're still with us as I'm retiered myself now.

Regards Dave Anderson

Caffj
15th February 2012, 14:52
CHello all

Hi Geordie,
Go to Google, type in Common Bros Shipping Co and you'll get the
answers. One piece of news from me. In 1964 they bought out
The North Shipping Co (Hugh Roberts & Son) and it's remaining ship
"North Devon" (built 1958) I was an Apprentice with Hugh Roberts
from 1953 to 57.

Caffj
15th February 2012, 15:02
Hello Ted Harrison, Re your reply about Common Bros.
You say you sailed on the North Devon as 3rd Eng and went on her to China in
1964. Was she still owned by the North Shipping Co (Hugh Roberts & Son)
or had she been transfered to Common Bros? Do you have a photo of her?
Regards Caffj

Bob Reed
31st May 2012, 08:28
I was an engineer cadet with Common Bros 1961 t0 1971 sailed cadet on Border Hunter, Kazimah 1963 to 1965. Junior engineer Borber Chieftain 1966 to 1967. Fourth engineer Daghastan 1967 to 1968. Then short trip as second on Hope Peak before long trip on Hope Crest. Final trip was second on the Afghanistan. When I passed my Chiefs I left and spent 5 years with the Trinity House steam vessel service and then went to work for Shell in the North Sea. I have worked for numerous other oil companies and now reside in Perth Western Australia working for Santos as a field Manager. Enjoyed my time with Commons.
regards to all

keith humphreys
2nd July 2012, 08:33
Hello.
Just found this site,i was with common brothers from 74 to 79 couple of names i remember on this site Brian Nelson was 3rd eng and myself as fourth on the Alwaseem,we both left at dry dock in Greece,think Willie Pearce was second,very interesting trip that one.
I also did a trip on Fina Brittania,but was mainly on the Strait of Canso,and Afghanistan,my last trip on the Canso was with Bill Duffy as Chief, and John Millwater was Capt,Second eng was i think John Taylor,would be nice to get some news from anyone who may remember me.

keith humphreys
2nd July 2012, 18:35
Its been along time since anyone was on this site but here goes I served my time with commons from 73 to 78 and really enjoyed it the geordies are a great bunch of lads. Particularly remember Lindsey Miln from Scotland, who was with me on the JR Smallwood for 7 months and John Garner who I sailed with on the Ida Lundrigan for 4 months . where are you lads . Thing John was with stena afterwards and rose to dizzy heights. I have the history of the company The Trades Increase which is well worth getting if you have an interest in the company. Im working ashore the past 20 years as a pilot so still in the trade, but oh how different the trade is today, if anyone remembers me Pat Heffernan, one of the Irish Lads drop us a line

Hello Pat I do remember you but can't remember which ship probably one of the product tankers I think I was j/eng at the time do you remember Kev Lindsay from Belfast I think he may have been 3/o on same ship but give a call anyway cheers Keith

pilotman
10th July 2012, 01:45
for anyone interested in the history of Common Bros there is a history written in 1993 THE TRADES INCREASE by John Lingwood and Kevin O Donoghue, dont know if its still in print but has pics of all the fleet from the beginning of the company along with their history pub by world ship society isbn 0905617746. I served my cadetship with commons from 1973 to 1977 and it was mostly great pat heffernan.

keith humphreys
18th July 2012, 11:15
Would love to hear from somebody that was with Common Brothers from 75-79,there must be a few people still about

guin
23rd September 2012, 01:19
[QUOTE=melanne.ne348pa;184136]
It's been a long time Mel. but it's the same Dave Anderson. I joined the Laird in Newcastle at the tank cleaning berth and paid off there ten months later. It was a right steep learning curve for me but it must have done me no harm as I went on to sail as chief till I left the merchant navy and went to work for Shell in the offshore oil indusry.
I wonder what happened to Dave Hislop, Jack Nevin!!! or Jimmy Mayne. Good to hear you're still with us as I'm retiered myself now.

Regards Dave Anderson

Hi Dave, have not been on this site for some time but was pleased and intrigued to see the above message mentioning my father..Jimmy Mayne. Sadly my Dad died in October 1985..he had just had his 61st birthday and it was very sudden and unexpected. Iwonder if you are one of the many shipmates who used to come to our house at Cochrane Park, Newcastle when ever Dad ship was nearby. great days! His time on commons ships -Border Pele, Laird and several others- seemed a very happy time of his life and he had lots of good friends from that time. I would love to hear from you or anyone else who remember him or has any photos. I have lots of pictures of people and places which I cannot identify which is frustrating. best wishes Guin McLaren nee Mayne

LCSydney
30th September 2012, 17:28
I sailed with Common Brothers from 1965-1972 as Purser/Chief Steward. Would love to hear from any old shipmates.
Syd Johnson

BHART
4th December 2012, 16:39
for anyone interested in the history of Common Bros there is a history written in 1993 THE TRADES INCREASE by John Lingwood and Kevin O Donoghue, dont know if its still in print but has pics of all the fleet from the beginning of the company along with their history pub by world ship society isbn 0905617746. I served my cadetship with commons from 1973 to 1977 and it was mostly great pat heffernan.

Hi Pat,
just joined the site and saw your name, don,t know if you remember me Brian Hart from the good old days at South Shield marine and tech college. After Commons finished I joined the fire brigade and have just retired after 30 years service.

BHART
9th December 2012, 16:46
Hi all you common bros old hands its great to see there are so many of us still around. My name is Brian Hart.
I joined Commons in Sept. 1973 as a deck cadet and was 3rd mate from 1977 and 2nd mate from 1979 until commons finished in 1982.
I sailed on: AL BADIAH, FRANK D. MOORES, BORDER SHEPHERD,
RIA JEAN McMURTRY, SIMONBURN, FINA BRITANNIA,STRAIT OF CANSO,
FARID FARES, FERNANDA F, and DANNY F.
After looking through a few pages of messages I recognised a few of the names but from which ships I haven't got a clue.
It would be great to hear from any of my old shipmates.

Brian.

bob phillips son
14th December 2012, 13:58
Hello everyone. I only found this site today. Sadly I am in hospital with Captain Robert Phillips, my dad. He hasn't long to go. We have been talking about his life and started looking up his ships on the internet. My sister and I sailed right around the world around 1966 we think on Hopecrag before it came into Newcastle for dry docking. Anyone know if this is likely?

BHART
14th December 2012, 16:48
Hi Pat, I started in Commons with you,Jinky John Garner, Lyndsey Milne and I think one of the other Irish lads was Jim Hughes. It would be great to hear from you and to find out if any of the other lads got in touch.
regards,
Brian Hart.

MCCobb
15th December 2012, 06:31
Have many memories of sailing with the Old timers from Apprentice to Chief Officer, starting with the Laristan then the Hindustan (cargo) Kazimah, Border Lass, Border Laird, BorderTerrier, Al Sabbiyah, Warbah,
Al Funtas, Fina Britania and a few in between (to name a few)!
Now retired in Canada after Piloting and Manager Marine Terminals for Aramco, Chevron and Oil Search.
Would like to contact others

bob phillips son
26th December 2012, 19:25
Sad news, My dad was cremated Christmas eve. He has taken a lot of great memories with him.
I have been left with a lot of ship memorobilia. Not much of it will be for sale, its not worth a lot and the memories to me are more important. I have all his diaries from when he first went to sea, it is going to take some time until I get round to doing much with it all. Ill remember to come back here and let you know what I find. If anyone remembers him and can help me Ill be grateful.
I live in Surrey now, happy to meet up over beer if anyone is close enough.

Alex Phillips

sailorjac
31st March 2013, 10:17
shipmates,
In1916 ss wilton was built by Gray's of Hartlepool for Pyman's . She was torpedoed in 1918 but was recovered, done up, and bought by Commons in 1918 as Laristan. In January 1926 under Capt Littlehales, on passage Swansea to USA, cargo of anthracite, she was damaged in winter storms. Although stood by , by the German ship Bremen, for 3 days, she went down with only 6 survivors out of a crew of 31.
Can anybody provide a photo of the ship, in either guise, and send to www.john.callcut@btinternet.com . I would hasten to add that's not me, just hoping to do someone a favour.
regards

john jordan

sfmillsy
16th July 2013, 21:34
Have many memories of sailing with the Old timers from Apprentice to Chief Officer, starting with the Laristan then the Hindustan (cargo) Kazimah, Border Lass, Border Laird, BorderTerrier, Al Sabbiyah, Warbah,
Al Funtas, Fina Britania and a few in between (to name a few)!
Now retired in Canada after Piloting and Manager Marine Terminals for Aramco, Chevron and Oil Search.
Would like to contact others

Hi Mike,

Hope you are well

You were 1st mate on the maiden voyage of the Fina Britannia in 1971 if my memory serves me right. I was deck cadet and did just the one trip to Kargh Island and back to Rotterdam. Do you remember the daft race around the deck...20 times! I still have some cine film of it and you meandering down the deck on a 4 wheel trolley.

I left the sea in 1983 and did 27 years in the Fire Service. Now retired in South Derbyshire.

regards

Steve Mills

MCCobb
17th July 2013, 17:01
Thanks Steve, Good memories of the Fina Britannia building in Amsterdam and maiden voyage plus tank cleaning with Gun clean without Inert Gas System after the King Halcon explosion. Have some great memories of "Frank the Plank" "Joe the Pole" "Steve the Man". Tough Crew but good.
Take Care and keep in contact
Mike

mr g elliott
22nd July 2013, 11:55
I sailed on m/v north devon wot a heap

swrogers
29th August 2013, 22:20
UOTE=sfmillsy;690467]Hi Mike,

I was seconded from albadiah with Eric Irwin for tank cleaning on Fina in Rotterdam to allow cadet to go home, was that you Steve? I sailed with you on Border Shepherd, China to Japan.

Sailed on Albadiah, Caribbean progress, border shepherd, Daghestan, Elobo left the sea for a couple of years then offshore for 30 years, left the sea 2006, just taken my pension

Steve Rogers

Hope you are well

You were 1st mate on the maiden voyage of the Fina Britannia in 1971 if my memory serves me right. I was deck cadet and did just the one trip to Kargh Island and back to Rotterdam. Do you remember the daft race around the deck...20 times! I still have some cine film of it and you meandering down the deck on a 4 wheel trolley.

I left the sea in 1983 and did 27 years in the Fire Service. Now retired in South Derbyshire.

regards

Steve Mills[/QUOTE]

mr g elliott
1st September 2013, 12:48

Stevemim
I was on about then we left the tyne and went to hamburg to ;load cars for Houston texas and then to new Orleans for grain for glassgow and we hit a hurricane

Ean Parsons
10th September 2013, 13:51
Just saying hello. I see the post a few years old but it popped up on google when I was looking up Common Brothers.

osborne
2nd October 2013, 22:08
Hello Everyone.

Nice to hear someone talking about Common Brothers. I started as Deck Cadet in 1970 and Border Reiver was my first ship. Joined her in Oita and after leaving Japan one of the big end bolts sheared on the old Doxford. The engineers made a temporary repair in the South China Sea and we made it back to the Uk ( 4 months later) on 5 legs, via a few ports on the way.

Commons Brothers moved from Exchange Buildings some time in the 70's to a place called Bamburgh House which I think was on Market Street?

I stayed with them for 7 and a half years and had a great time serving with all kinds of really good blokes.

The ships I sailed on were...Border Reiver, Fina Britannia, Kazimah, Simonburn, Border Shepherd, Nimos (the one everyone wanted to get on...Aussi Coast), Joseph.R.Smallwood (which then became the 'Afghanistan')
Afghanistan and finally Sirine.

I have some old 'Common Crier' house magazines with a long list of ships that were managed, along with the crews along with some intersting articles.

I have to say those days with Commons were hard to beat. Are there any old shipmates out there?

All the best

Steve Mills

My god the common crier rings a bell .i was a cadet on. The border sentinel in 1961 and stayed with them for 6 years aboard the Daghistan Border Falcon Iron Age Iron Crown Iron Barque

osborne
4th October 2013, 00:16
Hello all

Hi My name is Dennis Osborne I started as a cadet on the Border Sentinel in 1960 with captain J Y Lee and then I went to the border Falcon then the Dagestan Then the Iron Age as third Mate, then Iron Crown Captains I sailed with Bernie Spence ( anyone who sailed with him will remember him. Well) captain Percy Potts, captain J G wright and captain Taylor a lovely man .
Remember a lot more and wi add soon
Dennis osborne

j.humes
22nd October 2013, 23:22
Would love to hear from somebody that was with Common Brothers from 75-79,there must be a few people still about

There is lots of guys still about Keith. I was Cadet Training Officer with Commons from 1969 until 1981 still remember lots of names on here.

j.humes
22nd October 2013, 23:40
Been a long time since anyone visited this site but here goes. I served my time as cadet with commons 73 to 78. my first ship was the Border Pele which I joined in sept 73 in Pireaus. Subsequent ships were the Caribbean Endeavour with Charlie Anderson as captain and John Dalgleis, did'nt want to came after 7 months. Then the Dagestan, JR Smallwood feb 75 to sept 75 joined with Lindsey Milne from Scotland where are you now lindsey. Did a brief trip on Border Chieftain and then 4 months on the Ida Lundrigan with the late John Gite as mate, joined with John Garner jinky john who I think is now with stena?? Well Jinky. Then Kurdistan ex FD Moores and City of Pretoria ex Ria Gene Mecmurtry. Anyone who remembers me pat heffernan drop us a line. Am now working ashore as pilot last 20 years. have got the history of the company THE TRADES INCREASE which is well worth gettin by John Lingwood and Kevin O Donoghue 1993 isbn 0905617746. Really enjoyed my time with commons and all the geordies, a great bunch of lads.

Hi Pat I was Cadet Training Officer and recruited you I think I may have a photo of you from a Common Bros News Line along with the other guys in your year at college. Charlie Anderson wrote a book which mentions a lot about commons called " From Bean Street to Cruise Liners" you will find it interesting.

j.humes
22nd October 2013, 23:43
I sailed with Common Brothers between 1973 and 1975 I was jcr and a ast/ stwd I was on the Daghestan Frank D Moores and the Ria Jean Mcmurtry and I also remember Bruce Swinbanks he was a decent and fair man.

Bruce died a few years back.

borderreiver
23rd October 2013, 10:48
Sorry to hear about Bruce passing away.always dreaded his phone calls to join a vessel

Erimus
23rd October 2013, 12:05
Mention above of Capt. John Geoge Wright takes me back to early 60's when, I believe, the Iron Ore (if not the Iron Age) came into the Tees at a very busy time. She was anchored at the Ichaboe Buoys mid-river opposite to the Dock Point. The Master was due home ( Captain Black perhaps) and the C/O was taking over and the two of us had to deal with him to let the boat take the leaving Captain ashore.

The two of us, BISCOre Agency staff, went into his cabin and were asked if we would like a drink, we asked for a beer...NO beer left I've been emptying my locker, Whisky perhaps, No whisky either.....Gin is what I have and not much of that...he poured two Tennants Beer Glasses full almost to the top then put a token two drops of orange in which found its way to the bottom!

The fact that we managed to descend into the boat back and then climb up the Transporter Landing steps is something of a miracle.....

He lived somewhere around Tynemouth/ North Shields as I remember he used to spend some time at Cullercoats Radio station....

Nice fellow.

geoff

j.humes
6th November 2013, 16:06
Hi

Iain May, Edinburgh

Hi Iain I remember you well. I was redundant with Common Bros in 1981. I recently had contact with Capt Don Maidlaw who I believe comes to meet up with you and I requested he pass my regards to you. What you doing these days?

j.humes
6th November 2013, 16:27
In 1970 I for a short time worked in the personnel office in Exchange building with Bruce Swinbanks and Dot I think the personnel manager was Ebdon any one know what happened to them?

Hi Richard I worked in the office next door to you at the time I was doing Seafarers wages, I started Commons August 1969 and left June 1981 Rememer me Jim Humes? It would be nice to hear from you. Bruce Swinbanks sadly died a few Years back. Dot was called Metcalfe

Dee Singh
8th November 2013, 18:09

Thanks

Dear Sir

I worked in the office (above the nightclub Tuxedo Junction) from about 1975-1978.

What do you wish to know?

Dee

Dee Singh
8th November 2013, 18:27
(POP)Hi
I was at school with a girl whose father was one of the Brothers. I am still in touch with her so if you want any info I could perhaps help.
Regards
Lynda

Hi Lynda

My name is Dee Singh. Did you work for Common Bros in about 1975-77?

I was an office junior!

Dee Singh
8th November 2013, 18:32
Bruce died a few years back.

Dear Sir

I was an office junior with Common Bros.

I was wondering if you recall me?

I worked under a Mrs Pam Brown.

j.humes
8th November 2013, 18:51
Dear Sir

I was an office junior with Common Bros.

I was wondering if you recall me?

I worked under a Mrs Pam Brown.

I remember you Dee I was Cadet Training Officer, my wife Maria (Tomaney) was a typist. I think I have sent you my e.mail address to contact me.
Regards
Jim Humes

Deadly Hedley
9th February 2014, 18:13
A bit late responding to this one. I did my first trip as Lecky on the Kurdistan in, I think , 1977. Joined in Boston with Eddie Pickering, Keith Humphreys and Hughie ? Purser. I remember having to learn a lot very quickly. Bob Hedley is my brother and he is now in Vancouver.

Deadly Hedley
9th February 2014, 18:22
Hi Pat, I sailed with you briefly in my relatively short career with commons (1 trip on Kurdistan and 2 on the Fina B)

keith humphreys
10th February 2014, 16:49
hThere is lots of guys still about Keith. I was Cadet Training Officer with Commons from 1969 until 1981 still remember lots of names on here.
Hi Jim.
Don't think we met but your name is very familier, you must have been
Mentioned in dispatches some where along the line, sorry to have not responded earlier,but have not looked at old posts for some time, the trouble is that as you get older 1975-79 seems a long time ago and trying to remember names gets harder.
Captain Millwater, and C/ eng Gerry Brenan,are fondly remembered, as is Bruce sad to hear of his passing, and who could forget Frank Scott.
Some of the younger lads Cadets etc are not to well remembered but
their are a few, one lad I do remember as I sailed whith him when he was Deck cadet on the Daghestan (ore carrier) right until he was 2nd
mate, was Kevin Lindsay from Belfast.
Once again sorry for the timing,but you know what Engineers are like
always a bit slow
Regards.
Keith Humphreys.

n. liddell (sparks)
11th February 2014, 00:33
A bit late responding to this one. I did my first trip as Lecky on the Kurdistan in, I think , 1977. Joined in Boston with Eddie Pickering, Keith Humphreys and Hughie ? Purser. I remember having to learn a lot very quickly. Bob Hedley is my brother and he is now in Vancouver.

Purser would be Hugh Macarthur - sailed with him on Border Laird 1968 -69, picture of him with his wife in Gallery

Derek Wallace
9th April 2014, 18:27
Can anyone sell me a copy of a book by Chas Anderson called "From Bean Street to Cruise Liners" (strange title I know !). Charley was chief officer on "Border Sentinel" when I did my first trip as Deck Apprentice way back in 1960. I have searched the internet for this book but to no avail.

Regards to all ex Commons guys
Derek Wallace. 01213292995

beedeesea
9th April 2014, 23:07
Derek,

Is this the one? There appears to be several copies for sale.

http://www.amazon.com/From-Street-Cruise-Captain-Beyond/dp/0955985242

Brian

Derek Wallace
11th April 2014, 07:53
Thank you Brian (?). I have ordered a copy via Amazon from the states.

Brian_Flynn
5th October 2014, 12:34
hello geordie
found this site last night and was supprised to see Common brothers
and a few ships that I had sailed on, NOT TO GOOD AT, getting around
the site as a bit complicated for me, never mind ! You might know me from
the ria jean or the fina britannia brian nelson 3rd eng.
hope to here from you
best regards
brian.

Hi Brian,
I joined the Al Badiah in Milford Haven in February 1972 as the 2nd Radio Officer. It was my first trip to sea and a most enjoyable one. You may remember me as the guitar playing member of the crew!! Hope to hear from you. Best regards, Brian Flynn (Dublin)

keith humphreys
22nd October 2014, 15:58
Hi Brian.
Were you on any other Common Bros ships your name is familiar,but I
didn't arrive at common bros until late 74/early 75,but I do remember
Brian Nelson,and lots of the other lads,fond memories.
Regards
Keith. Engineer

Brian_Flynn
25th October 2014, 20:37
Hi Brian.
Were you on any other Common Bros ships your name is familiar,but I
didn't arrive at common bros until late 74/early 75,but I do remember
Brian Nelson,and lots of the other lads,fond memories.
Regards
Keith. Engineer

Hi Keith, further to my email to you ....
I was on the Al Badiah from Feb '72 to Aug '72 - I was the 2nd Radio Officer on my first trip to sea. I remember very fondly those 6 months. Have you ever contacted Brian Nelson?
Anyone else on the Al Badiah during that period?
Thanks for replying.
Cheers!
Brian Flynn (Dublin)

keith humphreys
26th October 2014, 15:57
Hi Keith, further to my email to you ....
I was on the Al Badiah from Feb '72 to Aug '72 - I was the 2nd Radio Officer on my first trip to sea. I remember very fondly those 6 months. Have you ever contacted Brian Nelson?
Anyone else on the Al Badiah during that period?
Thanks for replying.
Cheers!
Brian Flynn (Dublin)

Hi Brian.
I never sailed on Al Badiah,but no a few lads that did,if you can remember any names.
I have tried to contact Brian Nelson, through this site,and I also had a
message posted on Facebook to a Brian Nelson who lived in South
Shields as Brian did but have had no reply,so am in a bit of a quandry
as to no what to do.
If anybody else form Common Bros that reads this and knows Brian
please let me know.
Regards
Keith Humphreys. 4th Eng.

horsedentist
17th December 2014, 13:55
Just found this site I was C\E and later company engineer for Gomba shipping we had 2 ex common brothers ships the Gomba Progress and Gomba Enterprise.
I can't for the life of me remember what they were called before we renamed them.
Both were built in the late 50's if my memory serves me correctly they had the good old British Polar engines.
Eric Cleary